Personal Finance Roundup

Scrimp to Save More Than Money [Wall Street Journal] “Here are six places where it pays to lay out more money, not less.”
12 Ways to Thrive in This Economy [Free Money Finance] “Here are some effective ways to deal with [controlling career, managing money, and selling stuff.”
Save On Groceries With Printable Online Grocery Coupons [The Digerati Life] “Here are some online coupon resources to help you save on groceries.”
10 ways to survive without a bailout [MSN Money] “The billions upon billions in federal aid have somehow passed you by. That doesn’t mean you can’t do something constructive: Solve a problem. Help someone. Innovate. Or have more sex.”
7 Things to Leave Off Your Resume [US News] “What you omit from your resume can be just as important as what you include.”

FREE MONEY FINANCE (Photo: frankieleon)

Comments

1. triscuitbiscuit says:

Be careful with the Internet coupons as many retailers do not accept them in the fear that they can be counterfeit. Check with your grocery store first regarding their policy- many are posted up front or somewhere else visable.

2. PunditGuy says:

I know I’ve been down on the Wall Street Journal before, but “Scrimp to Save More Than Money” doesn’t change my view that everyone working at that paper is high on crack. Indulging in $4 lattes and maid service aren’t going to help you much in this economy.

• floraposte says:

@PunditGuy: Last time this was posted it was the $50 snow shoveling that got everybody up in arms. I’d say it’s very much an individual call based on the activity, the price paid to the proxy worker, and the value you get from the time. On the other hand, I think that “allow some indulgences” makes sense as written, but for a lot of people, it’s the world’s biggest loophole. Self-awareness is key here. As you say, the daily $4 latte is a lot of small indulgence on most budgets, but a monthly one, not so much.

• PunditGuy says:

@floraposte: They aimed the latte advice at people who weren’t just scrimping, but were out of work. Learn how to make your own latte — could be a valuable job skill.

I understand that we don’t need to live like hermits in a Mad-Max style world, but every indulgence keeps you from following two of the useful pieces of advice they gave: pay down debt, and sock money away. If the intended audience had self-awareness, we wouldn’t be in such a big mess.

And hire a housecleaner? Please. The unemployed have nothing but time. The employed who think they don’t have time to clean up after themselves have the time to clean up after themselves. Start small — while you’re picking up your dirty underwear from the bedroom floor, pick up your dirty socks as well. Eventually, things are cleaner.

• floraposte says:

@PunditGuy: Actually, hunting for work can take a considerable amount of time, certainly as long a day as a job does. However, I would agree that if you have no income whatsoever, the need for cutting back is acute.

However, I don’t agree that it makes no sense to hire somebody else for various labors. I make below national average and manage to save (love that small-town Midwest!), and I’m still happy to pay people to do stuff for me because my work hours run from 60 to 80 hours a week and since spine surgery my physical tolerance for repetitive stuff is low. I’m happy to be able to purchase the ability to spend time with friends and family at a price I can afford. For me, it’s a good buy, considerably better for me than forfeiting social community and appropriate exercise just so I can be the person to apply the lawnmower to my yard.

Basically, I don’t see any moral benefit to doing everything yourself (which nobody really does anyway, it’s just that we tend not to notice the stuff that we rely on others for) that would justify the losses I’d take in my quality of life. I do think it’s foolish to take such decisions for granted, economically, and I make tradeoffs for mine. But they’re tradeoffs that work for me.

3. citking says:

Does anyone else’s grocery store not accept internet coupons? I shop at Woodman’s in Wisconsin and they refuse to take those. They also don’t do credit cards, but that’s another story altogether….

4. Greg Argendeli says:

As someone who hires engineers, I have posted a few of my top resume annoyances. The list was posted in haste some time ago, so please excuse speling and grammir issues.

[www.disastours.com]

5. failurate says:

@Citking: I love Woodman’s. It’s hard to beat 20 acres of grocery store.