Recent Recalls

These products were recalled recently, beware!
Bowflex – injury
LG 830 “Spyder” Cell Phones – 911 calls dropped or of poor quality
Old Navy stuffed animals with button eyes – choking
Alpargatas children’s flip flops – lead

Comments

1. Homerjay (insert star here) says:

This should be a regular thing. You used to do this a lot a while back. I liked the heads-up.

2. warf0x0r says:

Okay the image of a bowflex pwn’ing someone to me is absolutely hilarious.

3. Coyote says:

I must say I’ve been waiting years for those bowflexes to go crazy and start whipping around like those wacky yard hose toys kids used to play with.

[www.2006christmasgifts.com]

4. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

The thing that bothers me about a large quantity of the recalls aimed at protecting children – if the parents were properly supervising their children, it wouldn’t be an issue. Like this stuffed animal. DON’T LET YOUR KID GNAW ON THE EYES AND JUST WANDER OFF! Jeebus.

• HogwartsAlum says:

@Oranges w/ Cheese:

The eyes on a child’s toy are supposed to be fastened on so that they don’t come off when gnawed.

I agree about supervision, however.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

@HogwartsAlum: Always give a toy benefit of the doubt. But its sort of like those beads that, when eaten, turned into GHB in their stomachs.

Understandably they were small enough to be swallowed, but WHAT PARENT would give them to a child who isn’t old enough to know not to swallow them? Idiot parents whose only interest is that their kid sit down shut up and not bother them.

• HogwartsAlum says:

@Oranges w/ Cheese:

“Idiot parents whose only interest is that their kid sit down shut up and not bother them.”

That’s why they park them in front of the TV!

• Nick1693 says:

@HogwartsAlum: And the Parent’s Television Council wants to make that clean and sterile so they never have to be bothered with questions like “Why are those two girls kissing?” and they can just put them in front of the TV and not be worried at all.

• HogwartsAlum says:

@Nick1693:
              Where else are they gonna learn it!? ;)

Why, in the olden days, I learned everything I needed to know from the TV!! And we only had three channels! Uphill! Both ways!

• calquist says:

@Oranges w/ Cheese: You obviously don’t have kids. Are you going to watch your kid every second of every day? When would you have time to post on the Consumerist?

5. catskyfire says:

When I highlighted this article on my Yahoo homepage, it adjusted things a bit. It showed “Old Navy Stuffed animals with button eyes choking Alpargatas children.”

6. DeleteThisAccount says:

wndr f ths hs nythng t d wth th rcll?
    [www.rbndctnry.cm]

• IT-Chick says:

@AngrySicilian:

Wow, what amazes me about a lot of those entries is that someone, somewhere, did this, and then came up with a name for it because they feel it needs one.

7. SybilDisobedience says:

I’m not blaming the victim here, but something about lead flip-flops makes me giggle. I guess it’s imagining a child licking them. Of course, I’ve babysat enough small children to know that such an occurrence is not outside the realm of possibility.

• HogwartsAlum says:

@SybilDisobedience:

LOL! Someone should make a website “Weird Things that Kids Lick,” and it would freak you out. Some kids will lick ANYTHING.

• Moosehawk says:

@SybilDisobedience: I was laughing more at how do you accidentally put lead in children shoes? Someone forgot to close the valve on the hose pumping lead into the flip-flop mixture or what? Good shoes are made of a little lead, just not too much?

8. Rectilinear Propagation says:

Maybe I’m not reading it correctly but the Bowflex hazard sounds a lot like user error. Is manually latching the thing supposed to be optional?

• Nick1693 says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: That’s what I was thinking, too. Remember, we MUST protect the average American (read: Make it idiot proofed. You don’t wanna be sued because you accidentally dropped your phone in a bag of chips, do you? Oh, but that phone might have been eaten by a child, so I did everyone a favor and deserve money!)

/Rant and somewhat useful comment.