Tainted Peanut Butter Problems Will Go On For Some While, Says FDA

Our sister blog at ConsumerReports.org notes that “current salmonella outbreak caused by tainted peanuts could drag on for as long as two years,” according to the FDA. The Peanut Corp of America may be history, but because peanut butter has such a long shelf life, and because they’re still adding products to the recall list, there may be food items lurking in pantries across the U.S. that are loaded with disease-causing peanuty badness.

Our advice: mark some dates on your calendar—like say in June and sometime next fall—where you revisit this list and make sure there’s nothing new to get rid of.

Peanut Butter and other Peanut Containing Products Recall List [FDA]

Or as ConsumerReports.org puts it, “When in doubt, throw it out.”

“Salmonella update: ‘This is not over yet'”

Comments

1. Emperor_GitEmSteveDave says:

Hrmmmm, are exterminators going to get the recalled peanut butter? Are they legally allowed to use it in things like rodent baits?

2. calquist says:

I am okay with tainted food products as long as it allows for more cute animal pics with witty speech bubbles.

3. TouchMyMonkey says:

Two more years without peanut butter celery? I’m pissed now!

4. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

I remain ok with this as long as my jarred peanutbutter is still fine..

I can still get my PB&J on and satisfy the peanutbuttery cravings.

5. Blueskylaw says:

Try Hummus.

• unobservant says:

@Blueskylaw: Cheap hummus (and many kinds made in restaurants) are made with peanut butter – not only because it’s cheaper and easier to find, but also because it’s assumed that white folks find the taste of tahini a bit too exotic. Damned if you do…

• JustinAche says:

@unobservant: Hence, I make mine from fresh…with a big jar of tahini in Arabic, which I don’t even speak, haha

• trujunglist says:

@JustinAche:

Fresh homemade hummus is so fucking great it should have its own name to separate it from store-bought hummus; they are two different beasts entirely, largely because you get to season your own! I find most store bought hummus to be incredibly bland and thus not very edible. I love spicy hummus with a crapload of garlic and maybe some sweet pepper to give it flavor. It’s also way cheaper!
          For all interested, Tahini is similar to peanut butter, and can be found NEXT to the peanut butter.

6. Anonymous says:

The Peanut Corp of America people need to go to jail, and everyone needs to think about how easy it was to disrupt our food supply in a way which will take years to clean up.

• omicronpersei8 says:

@FalknerMonart: Eh, it’s only pre-packaged peanut butter junk food. Probably a net gain for everyone. However, if this moved to jarred peanut butter, I will lead riots in the streets.

• trujunglist says:

@FalknerMonart:

They need to sit in time-out quietly for at least 10 years and think about what they’ve done, and then come back to the group when they’re ready to apologize. TUT TUT I SAY GET BACK IN THE CORNER OR IT’S AN EXTRA 5! I SWEAR TO GOD I’LL TELL YOUR FATHER ABOUT THIS WHEN HE GETS HOME, JUST YOU WAIT KIDDO

7. MBEmom says:

Fortunately for me, I am too cheap to buy pre-packaged snacks for my kids at all, peanut butter filled or otherwise. If my kids want peanut butter, they get it the old-fashioned way: from a jar on a piece of bread.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@MBEmom: I just bought peanut butter yesterday and without having the big list of products in front of me (and also assuming that since I haven’t heard anything about jarred PB it was probably safe) and debating whether to buy it, and then just look it up later, or go home and come back.

I decided to just buy it, and then I got all shifty-eyed at whether I should actually eat it. I think I’m safe.

8. unobservant says:

This makes me think of my allergic nephew and his little allergic friends. The meek shall inherit the earth.

9. JGKojak says:

You got your Salmonella in my peanut butter. You got your peanut butter in my Salmonella.

10. MrBryan says:

Nothing wrong with JIF, keep buying that!

11. LastVigilante says:

Best use of a Ralph Wiggum quote ever.

Basically, peanut butter by the jar is ok, if you have any other pre-packaged product where peanut butter is an ingredient, check the list.

Speaking of the list, I’m not sure I would ever purchase a candy item called “Moose Droppings” regardless of recall status.

12. omicronpersei8 says:

Ha, I was eating a pack of Austin Peanut Butter crackers when I clicked the link to the list of PB recall items. They’re still in the vending machine here. Will report on underwear status later in the day.

13. theblackdog says:

I’ll stick with my Lance Toasty PB Crackers, not only are they not affected by the recall, but they have stopped using HFCS :-D

14. Anonymous says:

I hope that the PCA executives go to jail for this mess and that the consumers get some satisfaction from the problems. the lawyers will have fun with this for years… I really hate to worry about terrorists poisoning us when you got greedy and uncaring PCA executives running around doing the job of terrorists. Osama must be proud. http://bangkokthaitours.com/ I think that I can use a vacation from the problems in the USA and need some good hot spicy SAFE food to eat. I hope someone pays for this mess, besides the tazpayer.