Here’s a tip: The guy who works at Home Depot but can “get you everything for a discount” is probably not doing something legal. [Bakersfield Now]

Comments

1. DeleteThisAccount says:

I wish I had a friend at the home depot….

2. deleteboy says:

Stifled entrepreneurialism! This will not get us out of our dire straits!

3. TheStig'sNJCousin_GitEmSteveDave says:

What? I can’t believe it. He told me it was! You mean he’s a liar AND a thief! Well, he won’t be getting a card from me this Christmas.

4. chiieddy says:

Duh

5. putermcgee says:

this seems like a story on moralist.com. somehow i doubt anyone reading this site is really concerned *how* their discounted materials were attained, but more that they aren’t breaking the bank to do a little d.i.y. project at home. not to say they’re crooks, but i feel like it’s a nonissue for most. i mean, no one cares what laws the cabbie breaks while he’s rushing you to the airport…just that he gets you there on time.

• aguacarbonica says:

@putermcgee:

Considering that the friends are being arrested for suspicion of conspiracy and burglary, I think it’s a perfectly appropriate story for Consumerists. If the friends were somehow not privy to how their friend was providing such nifty discounts, it’s another case of prices that are too good to be true.

• mac-phisto says:

@putermcgee: if you’re not concerned, you should be. if you knowingly receive stolen goods, you can be prosecuted for a misdemeanor or felony based on the value of the goods. it’s a federal crime if it’s interstate.

even if you didn’t know it was stolen, the goods are normally confiscated & returned to the owner, meaning you’re out whatever you paid for them (or possibly what you paid for them + the actual cost if the goods cannot be returned).

the cabbie example is horrible b/c traffic violations rarely carry criminal charges whereas theft & receiving stolen goods often do.

if you want to save money on DIY items, my advice is to befriend a contractor – they often receive a 10-15% discount on materials, or consider shopping at second-use shops like habitat restores.

6. Anonymous says:

Why wouldn’t you believe him? I have friends who work at clothing stores and get 30-50% discounts all the time. Wouldn’t it be logical to assume that employees also get a discount at Home Depot???

• SunnyLea says:

@MelvinaAcestes: Even if they do (and I have no idea about Home Depot) it is against almost all stores’ policies to use one’s discount for anyone other than oneself and sometimes spouse/parents.

So, you know, it still isn’t “okay.”

(Not that I care, or most people I know ever cared, but there your are.)

And in any case, why would a random Home Depot employee be providing his discount to all and sundry. That’s clearly not how discounts are meant to be used.