Girls Gone Wild Class Action Settlement Reached

A settlement has been reached in the class action lawsuit against Girls Gone Wild for sending and charging customers for DVDs they didn’t order. After ordering one DVD, defendants Mantra Films, Inc., MRA Holdings LLC and Joe Francis were alleged to enroll customers in a monthly video club plan without the member’s knowledge or consent and charge their credit card without authorizations. Depending on how much proof of purchase they have, class members can get a refund for the videos, shipping costs, or a discount on future jug-jiggling videos. More info at the settlement website, ggwsettlement.com.

PREVIOUSLY: Girls Gone Wild Customers: “For God’s Sake! Stop Sending Me Boobs!” (Photo: Wormbrain)

Comments

1. Sam Oldenburg says:

The commercials definitely say that if you sign up you’ll receive monthly videos. I don’t understand this lawsuit, sounds like someone wasn’t paying attention.

• Ben Popken says:

@Sam Oldenburg: Ever think that maybe they added that disclaimer after they got sued?

• chiieddy says:

@Ben Popken: Ding ding ding. We have a winner! :-)

• Sam Oldenburg says:

@Ben Popken:

Then this lawsuit must be from 5-6 years ago. That disclaimer has been in the commercials forever.

• Ben Popken says:

@Sam Oldenburg: Our justice system has been accused of many things, but I don’t think speed was ever one of them.

• metaled says:

@Sam Oldenburg:
          They only started putting that on it when they got sued. Same as “BOB” for those Comical penis enlargement pills, “Bob” never told anyone that by calling for the free sample, using your credit card to pay the postage and handling, that you were signed up for a monthly delivery they would charge you for, with almost no way to cancel (You had to have a (notarized?) doctors note saying you had a small penis and your penis had stayed small while taking the pills). They also, ONLY added the message when they got sued. Maybe the GGW Videos were easier to cancel?
          Also, every notice they put white tiny letters on the bottom of the screen against a moving/busy/light colored background? I could never read them posted on a regular 30″ TV screen (before HD plasma, LCD etc..) always took a few commercials and a couple words each time to be able to read the “fine” print for anyone I know. Forget older people or those with real bad eyesight.

• TerpBE says:

@Sam Oldenburg: The web site didn’t used to have this disclaimer…or so I’ve heard.

2. cartagenero says:

This people are definitely still your money. I ordered one dvd when i started receiving them I called for my money back. They said they will give it back and I even got a confirmation number. This was about a year ago and I still haven’t seen my money back.

I completely forgot about it until now. I’m definably signing for the lawsuit.

3. RandomHookup says:

Dang. Almost makes me wish I hadn’t gone with the bootlegged versions.

4. christoj879 says:

Joe Francis is a real class act.

“In 2004, a woman filed a police report accusing Francis of drugging her. She told police that after she met Francis in a bar in South Beach, Fla., where they argued over the morality of “Girls Gone Wild” videos, she went to his room at the Ritz-Carlton for a drink and awoke the next morning in bed next to him. Police dropped their investigation, citing a lack of evidence, and Francis sued the woman for defamation in state court in Miami, where the case is pending. He is seeking $25,000,036-a figure that includes $36 in room-service hamburgers he said he bought the plaintiff and her girlfriend the morning after they had consensual sex.”

• ludwigk says:

@christoj879: Argued over the morality of GGW, and THEN went up to his room for drinks? Sounds like she was after something to me. Not that Joe Francis is not a total skeeze, but my impression is that he:

a) maintained a lifestyle that afforded him easy access to cheap, skanky sex.

b) had enough legal complications that he would be somewhat-careful about drugging his partners.

Why drug girl A, when he can just get it on with girls B, C, D, who come pre-medicated?

5. ajlei says:

I kept looking at that center girl and thinking “god, she looks manly” and then after a couple seconds pondering that, my eyes wandered to the others.. and it makes a little more sense now.

6. caffeinequeen says:

Anything that costs Joe Francis money is aces by me. The man is total scum, and I’m not saying that because he’s a flesh peddler. Google his name and you’ll find all sorts of nasty things, including an incident where he threatened a (female) reporter.

Also, that picture should be tagged “Nightmare Fuel”.

7. dangermike says:

I don’t think people deserved to get ripped off, and I am glad justice is getting served BUT as I said in yesterday’s sunggie thread, this is exactly what happens when you order stuff from late-night (actually, any time of the day lately) ads hawking a myriad of junk. They advertise low prices and don’t mention exorbitant S&H fees and a common scam a couple years ago was to enroll you coupon book subscriptions or magazines or some other sort of “value” “club” that costs $10-20 per month. If you want to get something you see on TV, stop. Don’t do it. Even if it’s honestly advertised, it’s most likely a waste of money.

8. Trai_Dep says:

Isn’t he still in jail? With even more trials to go to and be found guilty in? (please gods please)

9. Yoko Broke Up The Beatles says:

Agreed – Joe Francis IS scum.

Ladies, on behalf of most other men on the planet, I would like to assure you that we are not like Joe Francis. We are nice, funny, sensitive, good-looking, and nuturing – a real catch!

You needn’t worry about exposing your breasts to good guys like us. Please continue to do so.

• ludwigk says:

@Yoko Broke Up The Beatles: What really gets me is all he did was monetize the inherent exhibitionism and sluttyness of a certain population of drunk girls by delivering that to a bunch of horny guys.

There was no key strategizing, or research and development. He just carried a camera around while his product came to him, inebriated and willing. It causes me to briefly consider why I bothered getting a degree…

• miss_cutestory says:

@Yoko Broke Up The Beatles:

I was just about to expose them until you threatened to “nuture” me.

10. emona says:

That photo, oh God, my EYES.
    That’s some real dream-haunting photoshopping, yech.

That guy makes my skin crawl. He is such a PIG.

11. nuttish says:

How else are you supposed to be able to convincingly tell your wife, “honey, I swear I didn’t order this shit,” quietly tuck the DVDs into a shoebox for later consumption, and move on with your life? Joe Francis is a genius.

12. wellfleet says:

About three years ago someone from GGW actually called my home selling the videos. It was the most disturbing thing ever and to this day I think it may have been one of my husband’s friends messing with me. He told me about the club and how these make great gifts, especially for Valentine’s Day. I remember saying something to the effect of “that doesn’t sound very romantic” and the guy said “oh they are super romantic”.

13. RedwoodFlyer says:

Good, put them out of business!

Most embarrassing moment of my life was when I fell asleep watching the 1am rebroadcast of the Daily Show on jetBlue… I woke up to a flight attendant explaining to me that I need to move my elbow so that someone can change the station. The mom behind me complained I guess and her whole herd gave me the “Uncle Paul” look. ugh!

14. strathmeyer says:

Wow, anyone know how to create a PDF of my eight year old phone bill that includes a charge for a free call?

15. JohnTheBastard says:

google search for ‘joe francis douchebag’

number of results: 22,300

just sayin…

16. dlj1 says:

They call me and sent me more than I wanted. It is good that you are going to put them out of buiness.I have a box full of DVD’s of girls gone wild. But dod not know what to do with them.