Consumerist Friday Flickr Pool Finds

Here are five wonderful photos readers added to The Consumerist Flickr Pool this week, picked for neatness and usability in a Consumerist post. Check ‘em out, vote for your fave!

Title: “Day 045/365 – The Sixth Circle of Hell: Lust
Caption: “Happy Valentines Day, with the most appropriate of the Seven Deadly Sins – LUST!”
By: Great Beyond

Title: “DSC_1320
By: Brian Jackson Now

Title: “Bike Ride to 7-11
By: The Notorious T.D.P

Title: “Curbside Parking
Caption: “Saw this all by itself, perfectly parked next to the curb outside our house this evening. It’s kinda sad when a kid can park better than a lot of adults on the street.”
By: wednesday181

Title: “Fancy A Taste Love?
By: The GlassPeople

Our Flickr Pool is the place where Consumerist readers go and upload photos for possible use in future Consumerist posts. Just be a registered Flickr user, go here, and click “Join Group?” up on the top right, and start hitting “send to group” on your individual photos you want to add to the pool.

Add your shots to The Consumerist Flickr pool, and perhaps they’ll get featured in a future story, or even highlighted in a Friday Consumerist Flickr Pool Finds post. See previous winners of the Friday Consumerist Flickr Pool finds here.

Comments

1. TheDustball says:

WTH is that cat one? I can’t even get my cat to move her butt off the couch. That’s pretty amazing.

2. ekthesy says:

Why is Dr. Elliot Reid offering me some caviar?

3. Rob Weddle says:

I went and checked out the Flickr page of the artist of the Cat photo, and it was just as I suspected: Key West.

They just have their own lovable brand of crazy down there. Can’t be beat.

4. Trai_Dep says:

As a kid that grew up wearing black and smoking Gaulois, Curbside Parking moves me.

5. zentex says:

Cat tricks (especially those that involve fire) beat anything presented today.

6. Vivelafat is the Quizat Haderach says:

That first photo is uninspired and banal. A woman’s mouth used to portray Lust? You don’t say! However did they think of that. And what exactly does it have to do with consumerism? Oh wait….I forgot….nothing.

• El_Fez says:

@Vivelafat is the Quizat Haderach:

Okay, smart guy – lets see *YOUR* brilliant photography. Put up or shut up.

• Vivelafat is the Quizat Haderach says:

@El_Fez: That’s not how a critique of art works. I can say I don’t like a piece of art and I don’t have to post any of my own to validate my opinion. Art is about opinion, right? I’m sorry if I was offensive, I didn’t couch my statement very well, but I do think that it is rather uninspired. Lust is a very broad topic and using a close up of a female mouth to portray that has been done many, many times in my humble opinion. In no way am I an expert. Also for the record (cue Feminazi bonnerkiller squad) I think it is rather sexist.
        Now if it is a male mouth, that would be a decidedly more thought provoking.

• TheStig'sNJCousin_GitEmSteveDave says:

@Vivelafat is the Quizat Haderach: Who said it’s a woman? It could be Tim Curry.

That being said, the current incarnation of Valentines Day, with candy hearts being an accepted symbol of, is now mostly a “Hallmark” holiday whereupon men are separated from their money at the end of a gun wielded by gullible women who have been convinced that it’s really “romantic” to do something nice b/c your “supposed” to. So that just symbolizes to me money exiting the wallets of people by very good marketing.

• fatetwister64 says:

@Vivelafat is the Quizat Haderach: Why are arguing. DAREDEVIL CAT! read that again. DAREDEVIL (already on the winning side)CAT (done! sold.) Green light this for a dreamworks animated movie.

7. Michael Belisle says:

Feline Agility Competition:

8. El_Fez says:

Wow, two weeks in a row as the main photo? I’m honored!

9. codepage9 says:

@undefined:

What makes you think it was a woman? Can’t a guy wear lipstick if he so desires?

10. Thanatos says:

Loved Curbside Parking but had to vote for DSC_1320 a house cat jumping through a ring of fire? How often do you see that.

11. RandomHookup says:

It’s good to see that Sam Elliott has taken up cat training since he stopped making films.

12. Belabras ate my dingo! says:

Cat hoop all the way. Go kitty go!

13. battra92 says:

No cleavage again? This is most disappointing.

14. Telekinesis123 says:

@Vivelafat is the Quizat Haderach:

What would you have, a Narwhal? Is that artsy and pretentious enough for you? Woman are naturally hot, deal with it.

• PrettyPrettyPrincess says:

@Telekinesis123: In all seriousness, is there no happy medium of sexiness between BJ-mouth and a Narwhal? I think woman, men, all sorts of things are sexy..but the objection here was that the red mouth depiction has been done a few times, and maybe a ‘sexy’ photo that doesn’t portray women as mobile sucking mouths would be an interesting change. While women ARE hot, it doesn’t mean we should all just shut up, open our lips, and let ourselves be objectified.

• h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes says:

@PrettyPrettyPrincess: There is a photo in the same Flickr pool of a cute girl offering a bite of her food. I’d consider the girl sexually attractive, yet she’s not shown with “mobile sucking mouth”. I think you’re looking for things to get offended by.

• El_Fez says:

Wait a second – which is it? You say this:

@PrettyPrettyPrincess:
        It’s amazing to me how people can live their everyday lives while taking themselves so seriously.

And then you turn around and say this:

@PrettyPrettyPrincess:

So which is it?

And, as far as objectification goes, my friend had a problem with it, then why did she let me do that? Why did my other female friend who was there at the shoot say nothing?

Honestly, it was suppose to be a fun little fluff piece and you people are getting your knickers in a twist about it.

And until I see some of YOUR work, frankly neither of you has room to complain. Think my work is banal and sexist? Fine – put your money where your mouth is.

• ArtfulSlinger says:

@El_Fez: To weigh in, why does she have to show a photo she took to say she doesn’t like yours?

That makes no sense. We aren’t in a class. You put your artwork out there to be judged and she did just that. Get over it. If her comment bothers you, I think you need to look for a new hobby.

• El_Fez says:

@ArtfulSlinger:
            I can handle constructive criticism. Being a dick about it (like Vivelafat) or completely overreacting (like Pretty pretty Princess), on the other hand, is just being a troll.

And so I ask them to back up their words with deeds. If they think they are god’s gift to photography, then lets see their amazing and creative work.

15. corporatedrone says:

@PrettyPrettyPrincess: Yes, Vivelafat came in here and made a very intelligent, very rational comment that was not ridiculous at all.

• PrettyPrettyPrincess says:

@corporatedrone: Are you referring to yourself? She seemed to respond well to some of the feedback in the comments – much more rationally than the people posting them.

16. SexCpotatoes says:

I call foul on that cat shot. It’s only a “ring of fire” if the flames go ALL the way around. The kitty is jumping through a hoop that the top part is merely burning, not the bottom where said kitty would be in any danger. 100% meh.

17. corporatedrone says:

@PrettyPrettyPrincess: I was referring to you, darling.

• PrettyPrettyPrincess says:

@corporatedrone: I was taking the sexism and overreaction of the editor seriously, not myself :) Not sure why you guys have your panties in a twist over a comment calling a photo unoriginal but I think it’s amusing. Sweetie.

18. fatetwister64 says:

Daredevil cat laughs in the face of all challangers! Then jumps over them.