When The Economy Gets Tough, The Tough Play Video Games

As pretty much every retailer imaginable aside from Walmart loses money — one chain is not only doing fine, it’s actually growing — GameStop. It seems that when the going gets tough — people just want to play video games.

Reuters says that despite the economic downturn sales of video game systems have “remained robust,” a trend that GameStop’s CEO says has to do with the value of video gaming as apposed to other forms of entertainment.

“Consumers will continue to spend money on video game software as they see video game as really inexpensive entertainment,” that they can play for months, GameStop Chief Executive Dan DeMatteo told Reuters in an interview.

GameStop’s shares are up 11.4% and its earnings per share are expected to rise 18-22% this year — despite the grim economic outlook.

GameStop has plans to open 400 new stores this year, worldwide, as other retailers struggle to stay afloat. Part of GameStop’s secret to profitability is its trade-in program — in which gamers “sell” games for a fraction of the cost — and a fraction of the price at which the games can be resold. Something to think about when you go to “trade in” your used games.

UPDATE 2-GameStop sees growth despite economic slowdown [Reuters]
(Photo:Marike79)

Comments

1. concordia says:

I’ve played Persona 4 for almost 90 hours now. If the game + tax cost $45 and I’ve played for 90 hours, that’s .50/hour value. Even more if you consider that there’s a few extras after I finish.

By that same token, going to the movies are a terrible value. If we low-ball it and say $7 for a two hour movie, that’s $3.50/hour. Plus you just sit and watch a movie, with a game you’re having fun and interacting with it.

• Outrun1986 says:

@concordia: Yup, its an excellent value even at the price point you mentioned. You can also find PLENTY of games for $20 or less that you can also play for 30 hours or more. A lot of the Final Fantasy games have dropped below 20$ and in some cases under 10$ and these offer hundreds of hours of gameplay depending on how you choose to play them.

Pokemon is a game that has proven to be a great value for me even at its most expensive full price point. I payed 35$ + tax for it however I have played Pokemon Pearl on the DS for over 300 hours. I cannot think of another game that has offered better value for me personally.

Gaming is also better for your brain than just sitting and watching TV since you are actively thinking and using the brain to play video games, but that’s really irrelevant here.

• dohtem says:

@concordia: I was thinking exactly the same before I read your comment. I paid $40 for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and $50 for Xbox Live. I estimate I have gotten more than 100 hours of playing time from that games online mode (4+ days total, I’m at work so I can’t get on XBL to confirm). $90 for 100+ hours of entertainment and counting is a great deal.

• lordargent says:

@dohtem:

Man, you got ripped off :D

Get over to slickdeals/fatwallet. 13 month xbox live cards show up for $30 all the time there.

/60 hours into fallout 3
        /bought for $40 on amazon’s black friday
        /$10 movie theatres
        /misses the battle tech centers (yeah, the cost per hour of entertainment was high, but the level of entertainment was also high).

• AlphaGeek says:

@concordia: Totally agree.

Two recent examples from my household:

Game: Fallout 3 for Xbox 360
      Cost: $40 (new)
      Time: 150+ hours and counting — I’m on my second play-through, this time trying to be as evil as possible in my choices

Game: Animal Crossing for Wii
      Cost: $30 (used/almost-new)
      Time: 200+ hours and counting between spouse and two of my kids

Interestingly, gaming and computer time have replaced >80% of TV viewing for everyone in my house but the 5-year-old. Of the hours still spent on TV, at least 20% of those are spent watching instant-streaming programs from Netflix using a Roku box and a broadband connection.

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

@concordia: I’ve spent 70+ hours on Fallout 3 myself, well worth the $60 price tag.

But it isn’t just role playing games that have such great value.

Something like Street Figher IV is great too, where a gamer can take a long time learning all the characters, and playing online against all different people.

• dubgee says:

@concordia: It depends on your opinion in the matter. I am a rather obsessed film fanatic and have been for some time, and to be honest, 25 bucks for my wife and I to see a movie is money well spent, whereas the 30 bucks my wife spent on “Shrek Carnival Games” was a complete waste.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@dubgee: AND you can sell back the Shrek game (how on earth is that game fun?) and recoup some of your cost, so you spend less than you did originally. You can’t return a movie experience.

• j-o-h-n says:

@dubgee: Me too, but taking a family of four to the movies is well north of $50 a pop (and you inevitably end up sharing the theater with a pack of cretins).

Solution: get a decent home theater. You’ll have “paid it off” by 40 or so movies. Plus, the Wii looks freaking great on it. Best of both worlds, IMO.

• HeartBurnKid, creepy morbid freak says:

@dubgee: C’mon, that’s hardly a fair comparison. I mean, by the same token, the money I spent on Super Smash Bros. Brawl was much better spent than the money I wasted to see In the Name of the King (not that I saw that piece of trash, but you get the idea).

• Mirshaan says:

@dubgee:

Shrek Carnival Games?? Did you really expect that to be worth your money?…. FYI… 99% of games based on movies, TV, or any other previously liscensed characters (comics are an exception) generally are terrible games. Just b/c you picked up a crappy game w/out reading a review or two doesn’t mean that games are “a complete waste”…. just as anything else… do your homework before you spend your money.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

@concordia: i can’t even begin to count the hours i have put in on my atari 2600 since 1979 but i would imagine that at this point, even when i only play it a few hours a year, it’s got to be an INCREDIBLE value per hour of gameplay.

• Triterion says:

@concordia: I don’t know where you live but Movies here cost $11.50, it’s highway robbery! Shouldn’t movies cost the same everywhere in the US??!

• Garbanzo says:

@concordia: At this point I’ve certainly spent more on electricity playing PixelJunk Monsters than I did buying the original game. Still works out to pennies an hour.

• gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

@concordia: you also fail to take into account “lost profits” for lack of a better term – assuming you are employable, how much of that time would you otherwise spend working?
      i know for many people, the gaming is secondary to work/school/etc, but there is more to the formula.

2. Etoiles says:

I know it’s come up before in this community, but video games are a great use of scant entertainment dollars, in terms of getting your money’s worth.

For example, say I play an MMO. For $15 a month, I can have virtually unlimited entertainment time. (Where “unlimited” admittedly means “except for work, commuting, family time, sleeping, and other responsibilities.”)

My fiancé and I play console games together on Sundays (the one day we’re home together). A used console game runs $10 – $30 and a new one runs $40 – $60… and the shortest one we’ve ever yet played clocked in at about 15 hours. Compare that to $12 per person for a two hour movie, that may or may not be good, or to $100 a month for cable that you can only watch so much of, and it really starts to look pretty good.

We don’t go out too much, although we’re both still (thankfully) employed, but we do use Netflix and GameFly to their fullest, and I find it well worthwhile. (Particularly as I play Nintendo DS games on my commute.)

• IT-Chick says:

@Etoiles:

Congrats on finding a Chick who plays video games, keep her around because the opposite of that is pretty horrid.

• Etoiles says:

@IT-Chick: I’m the chick.

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

@IT-Chick: How many chicks don’t game these days?

• Etoiles says:

@Eyebrows McGee: Tangent:

I’ve been a gamer since I was about six (suffice it to say, that’s more than twenty years ago) and it’s almost never been boys or men that have had a problem with it. Aside from a few douchebags (and let’s be honest, they’re everywhere), mostly guys either don’t care or respect it.

Other women, on the other hand, tend do look at me as if I’m something unpleasant and mooshy they’ve just stepped in on the sidewalk when they find out what I studied* and what I do with my spare time.

(*I have an MFA in film studies but I spent most of my thesis year researching and writing about the expansion of that theory into digital worlds, and it fascinates me still.)

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

@Etoiles: Almost all my students (18-22) game, female or male, and about half my female peers (25-35) game. The women who don’t often ask me for game recs/reviews for games they’re considering for their younger kids. They’re not at all taken aback by the fact that I like video gaming.

The only thing people get sort-of squiffy about is only MMORPGs, where there’s a hesitation when you tell people you play them while they wait to find out if you’re a casual player or one of them crazy folk. (Personally, I don’t play that kind of game, so I’m neither. :) )

• IT-Chick says:

@Etoiles:

I always say IT-Chick: Gaming since 1985. My mother swears that Duck Hunt is what caused me to need glasses in second grade.
            Good girl playing video games. I feel bad for some of my male friends whose wives/girlfriends nag them about it. We have 2 Xbox 360s and what we love to do is have some drinks and play on COD Multiplayer.

• CFinWV says:

@Eyebrows McGee: Yup, we’re everywhere. I’ll be over there killing zombies…

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@Eyebrows McGee: Well. There’s still a division. Who is playing Call of Duty and who is playing High School Musical? I’m personally a Devil May Cry kind of girl.

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

@pecan 3.14159265: I’m pretty sure 12-year-olds are playing HSM. :P

Me, I’m playing RPGs and strategy games. :)

• Etoiles says:

@pecan 3.14159265: I have recently discovered that God of War is an excellent way to cap off a piss-poor workweek.

(And God of War II has just proved a magnificent way to vent my frustrations with the stupidity and expense involved in much of the wedding planning process.)

• mac-phisto says:

@Etoiles: who needs work, sleep, family time & responsibilities when you have wow?

• Jake Muha says:

@Etoiles: Well, another tip in that regard. If you can wait, and are rather picky about the condition of your media, you can always pick up a newer copy of an older title for about $20. That’s how I’ve acquired many of my games over the years. The used market is particularly good if you’re trying to search out something that you’ve been putting off for a while and it’s not really in the rotation (still trying to find a copy of MGS: The Twin Snakes for GC, but to no avail).

The only time I’ll pay the full price for a game is if it’s something I want to play right when it comes out. Last big ticket purchase in that regard was Mario Kart Wii, but that was more because you couldn’t even find used copies at the time (now you can’t find a store NOT selling it).

• Etoiles says:

@Jake Muha: Yeah, we rarely play full price for anything, a handful of PC games excepted. In fact most of our console titles come from GameFly, and if we judge them worthwhile and know we’ll want to hang onto them forever, we buy them.

My fiancé picked up MGS: Twin Snakes from a 3rd party Amazon seller in August or September. I think he had to lay out $35 for it but, well, rare games are rare games. We had the MGS4 PS3 bundle and he wanted me to have played the previous three (I never had a PS2 so I’d never touched many games) before we leapt into 4. (Metal Gear Solid as a series managed to keep us busy for something like three months. Well worth it!)

3. Rob Weddle says:

I’ve always hated Game Stop’s trade in offers. I’d rather brave eBay or Amazon any day of the week than take their pittance.

However, considering how many used games they have displayed on any given day, it’s hard to argue with why they’re doing so well.

• Keavy_Rain says:

@Rob Weddle: I prefer the trade-in system at GameStop. I check for deals that boost my credit, thus giving me significantly more than I normally would receive. For example: thanks to a recent deal I was able to trade in Twilight Princess, Call of Duty 4, and Wii Play, bought Ratchet and Clank Future with the credit and still had $8 left over!

Plus by the time I trade my games in I’ve squeezed every last bit of fun out of them so that “pittance” seems fair to me.

• RogueSophist says:

@Keavy_Rain: But the current market value (via Ebay) for those three games is about $100, not including shipping. You weren’t robbed, but you’re paying a hell of a lot for convenience’s sake. And that’s with the “deal.” I mean, Ratchet and Clank Future is an excellent game, but if you’d sold the games privately you could’ve netted yourself a nice, shiny copy of Valkyria Chronicles as well. And we all want you to have that!

• Garbanzo says:

@RogueSophist: Wouldn’t you have to get an eBay seller’s account, set up some kind of merchant account on PayPal, compose the listing, take photos of the merchandise, upload the photos, post the listing, track the sales/auctions, communicate with buyers via email, find boxes and packing materials for shipping, pack the items, go to the post office (during working hours?), send them off, then deal with feedback? Plus eBay and PayPal are going to take a hefty chunk out of the proceeds for processing fees. Then if you get a dishonest buyer who tries to scam you you get a whole new set of time-consuming headaches. What kind of wage does that work out to per hour? What time is that going to come out of (regular employment, errands, exercise, housework, time with family, VIDEO GAME TIME)? Sounds like a hell of a lot of inconvenience for a little money’s sake.

• RogueSophist says:

@Garbanzo: If Ebay’s too difficult or time consuming — and I agree it can be a pain, and video game time is valuable — Craigslist is an easy way to offload games at market prices. Take cash only, and use some common sense when making exchanges. Voila. There are also several websites that allow people to make relatively secure straight-up game trades. Or university or workplace forums. I appreciate that people are looking for convenience, but Gamestop is borderline offensive. 100-200% instant markup on your trade-ins, easily sold to the next person to enter the store looking for that game. There are just so many ways to cut out the middle man.

• Cyberxion101 says:

@RogueSophist: Goozex is a decent resource if you’re just looking to do trades. Your games are assigned a value, and you earn points through trades that you can use towards other games.

It’s a pretty decent service. I managed to unload a bunch of Gamecube games that a co-worker gave me for free and got several Wii games in exchange. :)

• HeartBurnKid, creepy morbid freak says:

@Garbanzo: Getting an ebay account takes about a minute. You don’t need a merchant PayPal account; a regular account will suffice. Posting the listings is generally shorter than waiting in line at Gamestop. Tracking the sales is easy if you spend time online anyway; just open up another tab and check out your My eBay page every now and again. Generally you don’t get many questions from buyers. For packing materials, I can usually snag a few empty boxes from work (or you can always buy some padded envelopes from Staples for $1 a pop). My local post office is open until 6 on weekdays and on Saturday mornings, so having to go there is no big deal (plus, it’s actually closer to me than Gamestop), but if that is a concern, you can always just print the postage on your computer and toss them in with your outgoing mail. eBay and Paypal take their cut, but it’s a hell of a lot less than Gamestop’s; at the price points we’re talking about here, it’s a couple of bucks, tops. If you get a dishonest buyer, sure, you’ll have issues, but selling games is generally low-stakes enough that you’ll only get honest folks. The dishonest people are too busy trying to scam laptops and LCD TVs to try scamming you out of a $20 game.

So it’s really not as much of a pain as you’re making it out to be.

• Keavy_Rain says:

@RogueSophist: Yes, I could have gotten Valkyria Chronicles, too but I’d also have to hassle with eBay and waiting.

I’ll admit, I am impatient, but I feel for the entertainment I gained from those games I got more than my money’s worth. Well, except for Wii Play. The game was technically free since I only paid $40 for it and only wanted it for the Wii Remote.

Plus I plan on getting Valkyria Chronicles next week. I’ll have my tax return and the time necessary to enjoy it by then. Considering I spent almost two years of my life playing Final Fantasy Tactics and another year each on Disgaea and La Pucelle Tactics I think it might be right up my alley.

• RogueSophist says:

@Keavy_Rain: You will love Valkyria Chronicles. Certainly not as deep as some strategy RPGs, but simply awesome. I too have spent many hundreds of hours on FFT, Disgaea, etc. Enjoy!

• trujunglist says:

@Rob Weddle:

I almost refuse to trade in games to Gamestop. Thankfully, out of some chance miracle, the employees at my local Gamestop actually seem to give a shit and regularly give me extra special deals, especially after the whole Rock Band on PS2 fiasco (fuck you EA, I’ll see you and your QA team in hell!). I recently got rid of 3 or 4 unplayable (imo) PS2 games for $1 each. You might think “damn, $1? I bet you bought that for like $40 or more!” which is true in some cases, but those games were so fucking terrible that I never played much of them from day 1. I actually should’ve tried to get rid of them long ago, but I get lazy and things collect up like that. So, I highly recommend that you get in good with the guys (or girls, there’s a really cute one at my local store, maybe I should ask her out for some hardcore RB2 sessions) at your store. It never really hurt to be personable, and the dudes LOVE talking, especially when it comes to video games.

• narq says:

@Rob Weddle: Gamestop gives you 10-20% of the retail value of your game. They then turn around and sell that game for nearly 90% of the retail value. That’s a screw job, and most people don’t notice it. Trade in your game, get about $12. They then stick it on the shelf for $56. The game new costs $59. That’s how gamestop makes money.

They make money on stupidity. That’s why I haven’t been in a Gamestop for years.

• Cyberxion101 says:

@narq: I don’t think there’s anything wrong with shopping there for new games, but I definitely wouldn’t trade stuff in at Gamestop.

• dragonfire81 says:

@Cyberxion101: In most cases a brand new game that sells for $59.99 (for example Street Fighter IV) trades in for about $25.00 store credit and will be marked up to $54.99 to be sold as used.

It’s different for older games though. I’ve seen an old PS2 game that is sold for $10 taken in for $6.25. Those ridiculous margins don’t exist for all games.

• Mirshaan says:

@narq:

I recently picked up GTA4 at gamestop used for $45.99. I had just left Target where it was $59.99 new. The used copy was in perfect condition, had all the instructions and maps, and was $15 cheaper.

How is that making money from stupidity?

• HeartBurnKid, creepy morbid freak says:

@Mirshaan: I’m shocked you got that much of a markdown. The highest markdown I ever see on a used game at Gamestop is $10, and $5 is far more common.

• highpitch_83 says:

@narq: if you understand the system then what’s stopping you from purchasing there? There are deals to be found..

If you’re stupid enough to buy a used copy for $3 less than the new price then “buyer beware”

4. Outrun1986 says:

Video games are an excellent value in entertainment, and you don’t even have to have the latest games or systems to enjoy them. There are plenty of games out there that cost less than 10$ that are very good, even more that can be bought used for less than 10$ that offer many hours of gameplay enjoyment. You don’t always have to own the latest systems in order to enjoy playing video games, and playing games can definitely be done on a budget.

If you have the latest systems your best off waiting for price drops or secondhand games if you want to save some money on your purchases and if you don’t have to have the game the day it comes out. From my experience buying secondhand games will give you the exact same play experience as buying a brand new game would.

Gamestop does not offer the best deals however, and if your really looking to save money on video games you really shouldn’t be shopping at Gamestop.

5. IT-Chick says:

Seriously, all I do is drink, work, and play Call of Duty World at War. Video games + alcohol + good paying career = Happy IT Chick.

• Inglix_the_Mad says:

@IT-Chick: CoD:WaW? Ewww! CoD:MW was much better (even with the lousy server browser, which was still better than FFoW’s browser)

Sins of a Solar Empire / RTCW:ET FTW

• smythe says:

@Inglix_the_Mad: Holy crap!!! could you use a few more acronyms? I have no clue what the heck your talking about.

• Cyberxion101 says:

@smythe: CoD:WaW = Call of Duty: World at War. CoD:MW = Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

The other half is the actual battle, with the blood and guts and shards of skull with bits of brain everwhere. Knowledge is messy.

• IT-Chick says:

@Inglix_the_Mad:

C’mon, a pack of dogs! Way better than the helicopter.
        I don’t know why everyone liked 4 better, I haven’t touched it since WaW came out.

• ViperBorg says:

@IT-Chick: It just seems to me that they went backwards in the graphics. It’s not as finely detailed as CoD4. It looks like a redone CoD3. Just doesn’t cut it for me.

Just my $0.02, from an IT-Guy to an IT-Chick.

• mac-phisto says:

@ViperBorg – Facebook is the new AOL.: that could be b/c waw is made by the people who made cod3 – the awful game that it was (treyarch), whereas cod, cod2 & cod4 were all made by infinity ward.

good news is cod:mw2 will also be made by infinity ward. yay!

• IT-Chick says:

@mac-phisto:

I heard about that when 5 was rumored, about how it would suck because of the developers. I didn’t start playing until 4, but heard 3 sucked and it would be the same developers. I honestly loved 4 and WaW is great. I just wish they would take out Juggernaut, or atleast lock it after a certain level. I haven’t noticed any issues with the graphics or lag.

• ViperBorg says:

@IT-Chick: Not “issues” with the graphics per-se, as it is more with the quality of the graphics. CoD4 just looked cleaner, more polished.

• mac-phisto says:

@IT-Chick: i wouldn’t say it sucks – it’s way freakin better than cod3 was. that game was AWFUL! i just don’t think the guns shoot well. pop cod2 in & fire off a few rounds from the m1, then pop waw in & do the same. the physics are just…wrong.

i played waw for a few weeks – it is very addicting, but now i’m sucked into endwar. best strategy game ever. i’ll venture back into fps one of these days…

• mac-phisto says:

@Inglix_the_Mad: agreed. waw has potential (i <3 m1 garand – pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,PING!), but the guns in waw play like cap guns. cod2 was much better in that respect. & it’s like they took all the crappy parts of cod4 multi w/o fixing anything (server lag, timeouts, playing at different speeds, etc.)

still, the dogs & arty strikes are pretty cool add-ons.

• crashedpc says:

@Inglix_the_Mad: It is so sad that I know all of those acronyms. Even sadder that I’m at work so I can’t play them.

• heltoupee says:

@Inglix_the_Mad:CoD:WaW? Ewww! CoD:MW was much better (even with the lousy server browser, which was still better than FFoW’s browser)

Sins of a Solar Empire / RTCW:ET FTW

Holy crap. Is that even english? Admit it, you were just banging on your keyboard with your fists, weren’t you? :)

• Zclyh3 says:

@Inglix_the_Mad:

YES, COD:WaW is NO comparison to COD:MW.

• zentex says:

@IT-Chick: amen to that equation!

• Beerad says:

@IT-Chick: @Inglix_the_Mad: Say, I was a huge CoD4 junkie, and I wasn’t that interested in WaW until I heard about the special Nazi zombie multiplayer mode. Is it worth picking up just for that? (Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure I’d enjoy it regardless, but not sure if I’d enjoy it enough to justify full retail price.)

• trixrabbit says:

@IT-Chick: wow, i think i’m in love!!

6. Marc Melton says:

The trade-in values are not very great, but, for the ease of the transaction, nothing is faster than walking into gamestop with a few games, and walking out with a new one. Sure you can sell your stuff yourself, but then you probably have to pay eBay/Amazon/paypal fees, plus deal with shipping, and hope that everything works ok. If you pay attention to promotions and DON’T HOLD ON TO YOUR GAMES FOREVER, you can net a decent price on your trade-ins (and by decent I mean around 30 bucks).

• bucklefilledbird says:

@Marc Melton: I completely agree. Not to mention GS often times have special deals on trade-ins… add to that if you sign up for their Egde card program they give you 10% extra on your trade-ins AND 10 or 15% (I’m not exactly sure) off of the purchase of used games. My son and I both are constantly trading in games after we’ve beaten them or bored of them and depending on the promotions and which games, I can usually end up trading in 2 for 1 with paying very little extra.

• MSUHitman says:

@bucklefilledbird: You have to work the system with Gamestop. Get the Edge card, then check a site like http://www.cheapassgamer.com and see what promotions are going. Ever offer they have stacks with the Edge card.

Many times the big titles you can get a trade boost of 30% or more with Edge when you trade in games towards them, or you can do something like they’re doing now when you trade in 3 360, Wii, PS3 games and get an additional $10.

They also have weekly coupons that sometimes are 30% off used games with the Edge card. I’ve gotten very new releases for 38.50 plus tax when one of those coupons are going and a store has a particular game I want in stock.

Problem with EBay/Paypal and Amazon is the fees are getting so high it’s a neglegiable profit of selling online vs. Gamestop on anything but a brand new game.

With Goozex.com, new titles aren’t put up by users very often, so you can be like me and have over 2000 points (new releases are 1000 points) and sit in a queue of a couple of hundred trying to get that new game and wait 3-6 months.

• the_wiggle says:

@bucklefilledbird: wish my son would trade. “mom, i love it. i have to keep it”. sigh.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@Marc Melton: It’s the instant gratification (if you get what you want, that is) that has a lot of people going to Gamestop and FYE. Mr. pi and I take our games to FYE or Gamestop, and whoever offers us more we take. We hate taking the FYE credit though because they overprice their used games. Gamestop isn’t too bad. In some cases, you’ll get lucky and find two copies of the same game priced differently just because (AFAIK they don’t price used games differently based on wear and tear) and if you can’t see a difference in quality, take the lower priced one. They’ve never complained, or checked to make sure it was the most they could charge.

7. Ratty says:

Gampestop can get bent. They twice sold me “new” games that were very clearly used–one even had some guy’s name written in the booklet. Good luck returning them even if you’re only out of the store a few minutes. Rather not give a company that does that my business. oh, and their PC game section is a terrible joke.

Definitely been doing more gaming, though.

I think I put more hours into Left 4 Dead and EVE Online last week than I did at my supposed full-time job. :/

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

@Ratty: They let their associates “borrow” some games, but New games should be sealed from the manufacturer.

It isn’t uncommon for someone to mis-label sometimes when putting things in their storage shelves behind the counter. Maybe you should ensure that things aren’t opened before you leave the store (or make sure its not bricks in that Rockband Box)

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@Ratty: I don’t get it…new games would have shrink wrap. You’re saying you bought new games in shrink wrap that had some random guy’s name in them? That’s a problem with the employees, and that sucks, but I’ve never had a problem returning something to Gamestop. If you had a receipt it probably would have noted the full price, or if it was used originally it would mention that as well.

• Ratty says:

@Oranges w/ Cheese: What is supposed to happen and what actually happens… not necessarily the same. And when they actually redo the shrink wrap to get around it? That’s not cool.

@pecan 3.14159265: They re-wrapped a used game and put a new sticker on it. Both games had fringerprinted discs, one was scuffed, the other had a worn booklet with a name in it. I tried a return on the worn one and they said no. That was the last time I bought a game from them, used or new.

• mattwiggins says:

@Ratty:

as a corporate policy they haven’t allowed associates to borrow games, new or used for several years.

Also, the shrink wrapping used by a manufacturer and the shink-wrapping used in an GS store, are fundamentally different, and easily distinguishable. They don’t even use the same kind of plastic.

• Ratty says:

@Matt Wiggins: The last time I shopped at the store was roughly 3 years ago. If they’ve changed their policy about employees doing that, great. But they clearly weren’t following that policy when I still shopped there.

They also never sold any games in manufacturer plastic wrap. Many of the new games I got there were assembled at the counter. Then when they bothered to have shrink-wrapped games I managed to get sealed used titles at new prices.

I still also fundamentally disagree with their employee treatment, the pre-order philosophy, and how their used games are done. So I vote with my wallet.

• mattwiggins says:

@Ratty:

And that’s fair, and although my experiences working with GS have had their high and low points, I frequently have a hard time believing the horror stories a lot of people relate. My store would never do, or get aaway with even a third of the things people talk about – and a lot of people’s stories are things that are store level, not corporate.

IE- at my store, (and as far as policy goes)

All new copies of a game, except those used for display purposes remain in manufacturer wrap.

Opened games are not re-wrapped. only sealed with a sticker to indicate whether they have been played by the customer or not.

Pre-order priority is based on chronology of orders placed, not amount paid. People are warned in advance if supply will not meet our pre-sale numbers, so no one is disappointed. customers have the option of cancelling a pre-order at any time for a full refund (unless pre-order was a result of a trade deal).

There is probably a lack of accountability between the stores and the corporation on the whole, but there are 4 stores in my city, and all treat customers fairly, and abide by policy (and most are willing to bend the rules in the customer’s favour).

So I do feel it neccessary to counterpoint some of the blanket accusations made against GS.

• Mirshaan says:

@Ratty:

“The last time I shopped at the store was roughly 3 years ago.”

Way to post up inflammatory outdated info… if you bought a video game that was supposedly new in the past 15 years that wasn’t shrink wrapped, it’s your own fault. I’m calling BS on your “they re-shrink wrapped it” claim too…. I’m highly doubting any of this ever even happened.

• Ratty says:

@Mirshaan: GS/EB didn’t shrink wrap their games. They had new boxes in the back, and would then get an envelopw with a disc and manual, aseemnble it, and sell you. no other game store chain I’ve seen does this. The first time I was shocked, but I was told that’s how they handle it by the employees and friends I had who shopped there. Other people have even said in these threads they do place the discs in the boxes after.

Call BS on any of this that you want, you’re free to plug your ears about it. I’ve been in Gamestop/EBgames since with friends while they spent their money and it’s pretty much the same crap all over. I used to LIKE my EBGames before the gamestop merger.

I only buy PC games these days and Steam/Amazon suits me fine. GameStop doesn’t carry anything worth my while anymore.

• CommittedToExcellence says:

@Matt Wiggins:

That’s incorrect. We are allowed to check out games as long as it’s not new, or the last/only copy of a used game. The store manager or district manager can stop checkouts but it’s not disallowed for any reason. If you work there, likely your store is high shrink or on some sort of disciplinary plan that disallows checkouts.

• akuma_x says:

@Matt Wiggins: Actually my friend works at Gamestop and the employees still check out games. Not unbeknownst to the manager either as the manager gives approval for the games being checked out.

• dragonfire81 says:

@akuma_x: This is accurate.

I will say, as I have said on other Gamestop topics, that the service experience at a store depends largely on the managerial philosophy of both the store manager and district manager in that area. Some stores are great, others are craptastic and some are in the middle ground.

@Ratty: GS employees are required to push the reserves/preorders at every opportunity as per management. They also have to push Game protection warranties and Used game discount cards.

HOWEVER, I can say having worked there that for most new releases we get enough copies to cover our reserves AND significant walk in traffic. The only exception is for certain collectors editions.

• Cyberxion101 says:

@Matt Wiggins: Bull-fucking-shit. Sorry to resort to the expletives. It’s just that your comment is patently false my friend. The company absolutely does still allow its employees to borrow games. The only requirement for doing so is that the game in question can’t be the last copy, and that requirement may even be unique to the store I shop at.

The guys there are totally forthcoming about the way the company works. They’re not telling me anything I didn’t know, or that would compromise the company in any way, but they don’t bullshit you when you ask straight questions about policies and whatnot either. They told me last Friday when I bought my PS3 there, that they totally do get to check out games. Has something changed in the week since? I doubt it.

• Corporate_guy says:

@Ratty: It’s called a chargeback. Don’t let fraudulent stores steal from you.

• Ratty says:

@Corporate_guy: At the time I was not someone in posession of a SSN, so no bank account or credit card, so all transactions were done in cash. Wasn’t an option, I’m afraid. I know better now but it didn’t help me 3 years back.

@Matt Wiggins: That’s lovely that you’re telling me corporate policy, but unless it’s actually followed through at every location it’s merely what they ought to do, not what is being done. I brought up the issue of it with people who worked at the store.

I’d figure a receipt no more than 10 minutes old would be enough for me to take it back as a return for a new one or a refund. Since it took me that long to get to the bus hub, get on a bus, open the wrap, open the game and realize I’d been had. I got off the bus and went right back to the store to try and get a new game I paid for. No one did a thing for me.

My issue with pre-order is that it is wholly unnecessary. All it does is get large revenue for GS/EB and screw anyone else out of an order, as well as plenty of people out of their deposit. I’ve gone in for a few games in the past asking if they had any extra copies, to be told rather condescendingly that I was rather dumb for not doing a pre-order and it would be weeks before *any* game store had new copies of the game again. Took a short walk to a Best Buy, tables filled with copies of the game, and no pre-order BS.

Maybe when I move to another area I’ll have a look at them again. But the sheer lack of accountability and consistency store-to-store from corporate leaves me frowning.

8. ScubaSteveKzoo says:

Doesn’t surprise me. The markup is huge on the traded-in games. The game developers hate Gamestop for this very reason. They don’t see a dime of used game sales.

If you MUST trade for games, try Goozex.com.
    Not trying to plug, but it’s a great website that uses a points system and you get virtually dollar for dollar on games, excluding shipping costs and the $1 transaction fee.

I just sent Fable II for 1000 points ($50 worth) when I bought it at launch for 50 bucks cash. It may take awhile to get a game you want, but its fantastic.

• MSUHitman says:

@ScubaSteveKzoo: Goozex is struggling though with supply on new games because no one hardly trades them. Over 300 requests for SF IV for the 360 already and the game just came out this week.

9. Torgonius wants an edit button says:

RockBand has been a great entertainment investment for the wife and I.

Since we first picked the first game (and the controllers) up about a year ago, to buying the 2nd game, to spending about $10 per month on the new songs (we don’t get them all), we’ve spent about $360 on it. We play as a couple or with some friends over at least twice a week for a couple hours.

$30/month for at least 32 hours of entertainment is a decent bargain.

Besides, when I was unemployed for a few months last year, I considered that more as ‘professional MMO time’ than being out of work.

• heltoupee says:

@torgonius: I’d be willing to bet that Harmonix makes more revenue (don’t know about actual profit, but probably that, too) off of downloaded content than they do off of the actual games.

• Keavy_Rain says:

@torgonius: Same here. Thanks to a clearance sale at Sam’s Club I was able to get Rock Band with instruments and Rock Band 2 (Disc only) for $180. Paid a $5 fee to transfer the RB1 songs onto my 360′s HDD and suddenly had 130 songs to play through. Plus the Rock Band 2 disc came with a code for 20 more songs (Only one I like of the 20 is is X Japan’s I.V., but I’m not complaining) so for less than a Wii I got 150 songs.

Since then I’ve purchased a good number of DLC songs and full albums (Moving Pictures, Boston, Peace Sells but Who’s Buying, Screaming for Vengeance) plus I got a great deal on the Wal-Mart exclusive AC/DC Live pack boosting my total setlist to over 250. If I had to, I’d estimate I’ve probably spent $300 total for the instruments, games, and songs. Not too bad considering I spent $400 on just the Xbox 360 I use to play the game.

@heltoupee: I think its safe to assume Harmonix/EA operate Rock Band on the razors and blades model.

• ludwigk says:

@Keavy_Rain: I bought the AC/DC RockBand funky box from Walmart for like $30. It was marked down from the Black Friday price of like $50. It contained the RockBand Disc with code, a concert DVD of some sort, and a fairly ugly T Shirt. Is that the deal you got, or did you get an even better deal on just the game?

• Keavy_Rain says:

@ludwigk: I got the deal you got. The Wal-Mart I went to had two dozen copies for 360 and another dozen for PS3 so even at $30 they’re not flying off the shelves.

Saddest part of all? The price sticker on mine said it was reduced on 12/22/08!

P.S. For anyone considering it, get it. The only complaint I have is they reused the chart from the RB2 version of “Let There Be Rock” for the live version.

P.P.S. Considering most Wal-Mart’s still have that “Exclusive” concert DVD and the “Limited Edition” of Black Ice in stock along with ample supplies of that track pack it looks like AC/DC got the better end of the deal.

10. Justin Kohler says:

I completely agree with the above comments. Furthermore, I have used Gamestop for quite some time now. It seems like Gamestop has gotten quite a bad rap in the past (rude employees, low value for trade-ins, etc) but I’ve never experienced any of these. I’m just glad I get something for the games that are collecting dust and the process is far less work than selling on craigslist.

Just because I believe in recognizing superior service, the Bellevue Square store in Bellevue, WA is the bees knees.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@Justin Kohler: An additional plug for the GameStop in Dulles, Va. off Rt. 50 in the shopping center with Target and Cici’s – I have no idea what that shopping center is called, but their employees have always been so nice, and extremely chatty about games. And they weren’t surprised that I enjoyed the same type of games they did (why do some men assume girls only play girly names?)

• HeartBurnKid, creepy morbid freak says:

@Justin Kohler: It is pretty variable from store to store. I’ll just add, should any of you find yourselves in the Palmdale, CA area, and in need of a Gamestop, go to the one by Target. The one by Sam’s Club and the two in the mall are staffed by asses. I was really waiting for Play ‘n Trade to open to break the Gamestop monopoly, but it turns out they’re even worse.

11. Anonymous says:

I take a degree of issue with the tone people take towards gamestop’s trade program.

GS is a guaranteed buyer. You have a copy of madden 2001 kicking around that you dont want anymore? well, no one else wants it either. GS will still take it. You don’t have to spend time looking for a buyer, GS does that instead. the trade-off is that you get a significantly reduced value for your game. That difference between what you get and what they mark it for has to make up for all kinds of costs.

aside from the fact that a significant number of trade games are defective, and are sent back for refurbishment (or destruction) on the company’s dime, they also have to account for the company’s profit margin, as the weak margin new game sales can’t keep the company afloat alone. Add to that the opportunity cost of lost wall-space, where your old copy of barbie’s horse adventure is displacing a copy of killzone 2, which actually might sell, or is occupying space that could be sold for product features, and you start to see why you aren’t always offered top dollar for your game.

Beyond that, if you aren’t willing to go an try to sell the game yourself, then frankly you forfiet any legitimate argument you might have had against GS’s offered value. If you think you could get 50$ for your game on Ebay, go to it! Nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to sell to GS. however, if you take the 20$ GS is willing to give you for it now, because that is worth more to you than the 50$ you might get off ebay a week from now, then accept that that’s a cost of doing business and get on with your life. you haven’t been screwed, you’ve made a choice.

• number9ine says:

@MaiaLeda: I agree with you about paying a price for convenience, but when the trade-in price is less than 1% of the game’s original value (my personal experience on trying to trade in a 1-year-old game that is relatively popular) and the resale price is then 50% or more of the game’s original value, that’s excessive. The only people who see the value in that pricing are those without income, such as kids.

So, take your argument, replace $50 with $60, $20 with $0.50 and see how you feel about it. Oh, and keep in mind that your game might make the “new” rack if it’s recent enough, and GS will charge full price. Add on the insulting possibility of buying a new game without manual or case/cover, and it’s enough for me to avoid the place altogether.

• Powerlurker says:

@MaiaLeda:

Don’t forget the hit that Gamestop takes when they give you decent money for a pretty popular game only to have the publisher do a greatest hits re-release (which are done pretty much explicitly to undercut the secondary market) and kill their margins on a used copy of said game

• Cyberxion101 says:

I believe you get something like 20 bucks trade-in credit for the PS2 version of Marvel vs Capcom 2. They turn around and sell it for something like 70 bucks. There is a huge gulf between the trade-in value and the resale price. Sure Gamestop might buy your used crap, but let’s not pretend they’re really doing anyone any favors.

• blash says:

@MaiaLeda: And how much will Gamestop give you for that copy of Madden 2001? 50 cents?

• Mirshaan says:

@MaiaLeda:

“You have a copy of madden 2001 kicking around that you dont want anymore? well, no one else wants it either. GS will still take it. “

Actually, they usually don’t take sports games that are over a year old…. trade in your madden before the next one comes out. I’ve learned this lesson…

12. Gamethyme says:

It’s not just video gaming that’s growing. Analog gaming grew last year, too. IIRC, ICV2 quoted roughly an 8% growth last year.

“Analog gaming,” in this case means “Board games, card games, tabletop role-playing games, and miniatures games.”

• Blueskylaw says:

@Gamethyme:

What’s Killing the Video-Game Business? Hint: It’s not the economy.
      By N. Evan Van ZelfdenPosted Monday, Feb. 16, 2009, at 3:27 PM ET

Like pretty much every industry these days, video-game publishing is in some financial trouble. Electronic Arts, the world’s largest game publisher, best known for Madden and the Sims, lost $641 million in 2008′s fourth quarter. Activision-Blizzard, owners of the cash cows World of Warcraft and Call of Duty, reported losses of $72 million in the fourth quarter of 2008. (They lost $194 million the quarter before that.) THQ, the third-largest publisher in the United States, and known for lucrative licenses ranging from the Ultimate Fighting Championship to Pixar, had $192 million in losses over the holidays and is laying off 24 percent of its work force.

News of development-studio closings and layoffs are being reported around the world. And while publishers focus on internal cuts, many independent developers have closed outright. Such gloom, in a normally raucous industry, has set the talking heads, bloggers, and trade press to a quick conclusion: Losses and layoffs are the direct result of an economic crisis (on the premise that “things are tough all over”).
      Print This ArticlePRINTDiscuss in the FrayDISCUSSEmail to a FriendE-MAILGet Slate RSS FeedsRSSShare This ArticleRECOMMEND…Single PageSINGLE PAGE
      Yahoo! Buzz Facebook MySpace Mixx Digg Reddit del.icio.us Furl Ma.gnolia Sphere StumbleUponCLOSE

But that idea, which makes intuitive sense, is completely at odds with recent sales numbers. In reality, video games are selling better than ever. The retailer GameStop announced sales of nearly $3 billion worth of games, hardware, and accessories during the nine weeks around the 2008 holidays-22 percent more than during Christmas 2007.

According to the research firm Media Control GfK, game software accounted for more than half of global packaged entertainment sales in 2008, beating DVD sales for the first time. The firm pegs game sales at $32 billion worldwide. (The U.S. market accounts for around 45 percent of the world total.) The NPD Group, which tracks sales for the industry, also reports that game software sales were up 26 percent in 2008.

So how can publishers lose money amid such incredible sales and record growth? The answer is simple: They’re spending more than they’re bringing in. Game development budgets have ballooned, and publishers are reeling because they can’t keep the costs under control.

Games weren’t always expensive to make: In the early days, a boy with an Apple II could rule the world. While there are still scads of cheaply made games on the market, all of today’s big publishers employ hundreds of professional developers per game. These projects take years to complete, as each new generation of hardware allows for unprecedented advances in graphics, sound, and everything else. The greater the complexity of the game, the larger the development team. The larger the development team, the bigger the budget.

While industry leaders anticipated that budgets would creep higher, the shift to high-definition gaming with Microsoft’s Xbox 360 and Sony’s PlayStation 3 has proved to be more expensive than estimated. At a conference in the spring of 2006, then-Midway developer Cyrus Lum sounded the warning, telling his audience that game development budgets could rise as high as $15 million to $25 million for a single title-previously unheard-of averages. “We need to rethink how we’re financing games,” Lum concluded.

When a newspaper quoted this frightening view, Lum found himself in hot water with his employer for making such sensationalist comments. It turned out that Lum’s prediction was too low: Midway would go on to spend between $40 million and $50 million developing This Is Vegas, an action title set for release in late 2009.

That figure is not unusual. Budgets for next-generation development have continued to rise steadily across the board. And while executives and technologists knew that there would be heavy initial investment costs to retool-Electronic Arts spent a record $372 million on research and development during 2008′s third quarter-they expected returns on that investment, something that’s so far failed to materialize.

• the_wiggle says:

@Gamethyme: organized crime anyone? many fond memories of playing it with family :)

[www.trollandtoad.com]

13. litbruin says:

I totally agree, I tried to return a brand new version of NHL 09 to Gamestop (gift, no receipt) and was told they would give 18 dollar store credit on a game they sold, then and there, for 59.99. Organized crime is so profitable in down economies! (BTW, I sold it on Ebay in one day for 46, suck on that Gamestopper, and for those who say try Best Buy, they stopped taking returns without receipts on January 24, bastards)

14. Starfury says:

I play boardgames; some cost $40+ but when it’ll take 4 hours to play a game with 4 people the value is good. When it gets taken out and played a lot the cost per game is very low.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@Starfury: Love love love board games too. Board games are just so old school, and they allow a lot of people to play without needing to learn technology, or having extra controllers. I really like board games.

15. batsy says:

“We buy used games.”

Except PC games. -_-

• Etoiles says:

@batsy: As a life-long PC gamer and a former GameStop employee… it’s emphatically not worth the stores’ or employees’ time to be messing around with that. Because of how most newer PC games work with DRM and activation codes, a secondhand disc — if ever there was a disc, in the Steam era — is virtually useless.

The market for secondhand PC games is in old secondhand PC games and although I’ll call Monkey Island the best gaming franchise of all time until the day I die, just try getting your average gamer interested.

• batsy says:

@Etoiles: I know, I understand why the stores can’t re-sell them, it just bugs me that the manufacturers have to make them that way. Even crappy pawn shops won’t take them.

16. 1stMarDiv says:

I used to work at Gamestop and I thoroughly enjoyed ripping that place off. I’d come to work with about 100 bucks cash every day and buy games off of people who didn’t want store credit. We’d just go outside and away from the camera’s to do the exchange. Then I’d resell the games to coworkers from my other job and make a little profit. I could easily make a couple hundred extra dollars a month doing this.

Fuck Gamestop.

17. dohtem says:

Most of their profit is from their used games scam. Gamestop is just slimy when it comes to buying and selling used games. I have bought “new” games that had a sticker on the case *underneath* the shrink wrap. I also got another that had the xbox security tape cut clean with a razor (I only found out after taking off the shrink wrap). And they sling the same bullshit story every time, “It is new, it was just used in a display xbox. It never left the store.” I’m sorry, if it has been opened and used before I pay for it, it is not new. Oh, and I heard sales associates are allowed to “borrow” games from the store. They bring it back and sell it.

Their margins on selling used games and accessories is also ridiculous. Good business, I guess. They will buy your used slim PSP for $70 and sell it for $126. And if you happen to get a one of those money grubbing salespeople, they’ll try their hardest to convince you to buy a used title for $5 less instead of the new one. They know how much more they are making on used games.

• Shadowfire says:

@dohtem: The margin on used games is ridiculous? Fact is, the margin is ridiculous because the margin on new titles is also ridiculous. A new game that sells for $59.99 costs Gamestop $54-57 to purchase. That does not include shipping, plus the costs of doing business. There is no money in new titles, so GS gets their money from used.

• Cyberxion101 says:

@Shadowfire: Hmn. Really? The margin was pretty fantastic back when I was working at a mom-and-pop game store. We made quite a bit on games. It was consoles that we didn’t make anything on.

• Etoiles says:

@dohtem: And they sling the same bullshit story every time, “It is new, it was just used in a display xbox. It never left the store.”

This is generally true, in a well-run GameStop. (Not all stores in the chain — perhaps not even a majority of the stores in the chain — are run well.) You cannot put an actual game out on the shelf because you will be 50% poorer at close than you were at open. It’s empty display boxes only. It should be one per title, so that only the very last copy sold in the store is a re-assembled one.

• dohtem says:

@Etoiles: That’s fine, I under stand that. But to turn around and sell that opened game as new is just unethical.

• Shadowfire says:

@dohtem: Why? It generally isn’t used.

Used =! open.

• Etoiles says:

@Shadowfire: Right, exactly. The discs remain unplayed, in envelopes, either in the back office or in a case behind the counter. The box has been opened but the disc has never been used.

And frankly, the most beat-up new discs I ever sold or have purchased have been when the little pointy bits in the center of a CD/DVD case — the circle that goes through the hold in the middle of the disc — have broken off and the disc is loose in the box. Compared to that, stored-in-envelope-behind-the-counter tends to look good.

• RedSonSuperDave says:

@Shadowfire: I’m sorry, but if the game’s open, it’s used. Period.

• Shadowfire says:

@RedSonSuperDave: Really? How about no. The game is used when it has been put in a system and -used-. A car is not used when the door is opened.

• dragonfire81 says:

@Shadowfire: Good analogy.

• Powerlurker says:

@Shadowfire:

Floor model electronics and appliances are never sold as new.

• dragonfire81 says:

@Powerlurker: Yes but in the case of a floor model computer, the actual product is displayed on the floor. At Gamestop, only the cases are on the wall, the actual games are kept behind the counter. Also, all new consoles are kept in the back room.

I have bought a lot of games at Gamestop including some so-called “last copies” of new games that were not shrink wrapped, but I’ve never seen severe enough damage to a case or disc to warrant a discount.

• Cyberxion101 says:

@Shadowfire: They might not be used per se, but I can’t imagine why the hell I would want to buy a new game that has been opened by employees, thrown haphazzardly into an envelope, and then put in a drawer stuffed full of other games. And being that I’ve watched them drop games on the counter and put their fingers all over the bottom of the disk, I’d rather buy sealed or not at all. And I do. If they don’t have a sealed copy to grab off the shelf behind the counter, they don’t get my money.

• RedSonSuperDave says:

@Shadowfire: How about, yes. If you bring in an open game to GameStop and swear that it’s new, and you’ve never played it, are they going to give you any more money for it? I’m just using THEIR OWN DEFINITION of “used”.

• Mirshaan says:

@RedSonSuperDave:

1. You’re not sorry… :)

2. How does open = used?? has the disc been played? Can you really tell the difference???

• dragonfire81 says:

@Cyberxion101: I can’t speak for all Gamestop employees, but most I have worked with do know the correct way to handle a game disc and even if it did get dropped, it’s highly unlikely it wouldn’t work properly thereafter.

• RedSonSuperDave says:

@Mirshaan: No, I’m not sorry. Rhetorical device.

“Open” = “used” because it’s a matter of public record that GameStop employees are allowed to “rent” games at the location manager’s discretion. If their manager’s cool with it, they can take games home over the weekend and play them, and you have no way of knowing that they haven’t done that with any particular copy of an opened game.

Or, to put it another way, “open” = “used” because that’s the definition that GameStop uses when buying used games from their customers.

If you care about this enough to click on a link, please visit the Consumerist Forum and look for one of my GameStop-bashing posts. Or just Google “The Gamestop new for used scam” and learn how GameStop’s shady policies screw both gamers and game companies out of money that is rightfully theirs.

• KillTheAcademy says:

@dohtem: only the used games can be checked as long as I’ve been there.

18. TVarmy says:

Yeah, Gamestop’s business model is pretty obvious. Sometimes they are the cheapest source for used games, especially with coupons, but usually you’re better off selling games on Half.com, where you get a bigger margin.

What is cool is that the used game market is now spurring better online distribution systems, which have some key benefits in exchange for your inability to resell games. My Steam account lets me play any game I bought from them on any computer, and they’re starting to implement a feature that uploads my saves to their servers so that I can continue a game from any machine. And the games are often cheaper than on the shelf and sales are frequent. Plus, no physical packaging saves environmental resources.

19. raptorrapture says:

Why spend hundreds on vacations when you can spend $50-$70 on a trip to Albion or Helghan?

20. oneliketadow says:

Don’t forget to add-in the per-hour cost of a gym membership everyone.

21. HogwartsAlum says:

Usually, I hang on to my games (PC – I don’t own a console) and keep an old computer going forever so I can play them. I’ve never had any problems with the GameStop stores here, but I don’t shop there much.

There’s this one game I have called “Titanic – Adventure Out of Time” that will play on my old desktop. I freaking LOVED that game. No chance for a reissue, because the company is long gone. Before that, I couldn’t play it for a while because I upgraded, but I hung on to it and now it will go again. I don’t know why but I’m glad I kept it. Whee!

22. rockasocky says:

So it’s true, Gamestop’s business model of becoming upscale pawnshops HAVE allowed them to reap a green harvest of cash money!

23. Twinrevanoe says:

Let’s say you have 20 bucks, and you have two choices: Go to GameStop and buy some used games OR watch a movie in a theater?

If you choose a theater, then you have to pay 8 dollars for the ticket itself. 12 dollars left, that’s fine. Now, comes the refreshments. A large soda and a medium popcorn will set you back maybe 7 dollars. Now you have five dollars left out of your total 20. The movie is two hours long, starting from the titles and NOT counting the previews which are close to a half hour long. So.

$8 Ticket + $7 Refreshment = 15 Dollars. 15 Dollars / 2 Hours = $7.50 per hour of entertainment.

Now for the GameStop. Again, you have twenty dollars. One game catches your attention, used, and priced at a reasonable 8 dollars . The game is supposed to have a gameplay time of 50 hours. That’s not bad right?

$8 Game / 50 Hours of Gametime = $0.16 per hour of entertainment.

I would go for the GameStop, because its a lot cheaper in the long run. :D

• BigPapaCherry says:

@Twinrevanoe: While I agree with your logic, I disagree with your numbers. I’ve NEVER seen a game worth my money on the $8 section of the used games. The lowest I’ve seen is around $17 for a halfway decent game. The only used game you’ll find for $8 is an old sports game or Burger King’s “Sneak King”… Which I hear is awesome.

• Twinrevanoe says:

@BigPapaCherry: First Episode of Xenosaga. $7.99 Used. Trust me, you got to know where to look in a GS. Once found a copy of Viewtiful Joe for 2 bucks. I was freakin’ ecstatic because of that deal and came home with two games. :D

24. chrisjames says:

Isn’t Gamestop profiting because their business model is primarily reselling second-hand goods? They’re just like the college textbook stores (and in a similarly collusive market).

They make no money, probably losing plenty, on selling new games. Instead, they make all their money in lowballing trade-ins and selling them for 3 to 6 times the trade-in price. That’s a huge margin, especially since they sell mostly used games, but advertise themselves as a straight up retailer, implying new product most of the time. Now that the economy is getting bad, people are seeing the positive side of buying used, not new. Basically, it’s a boon for second-hand retailers.

It’s not that people are turning to video games, they’re turning off of new games and onto used games.

• mac-phisto says:

@chrisjames: they still make money on new games, just not as much. most of the profit from new games goes to the publisher/developer, but not all of it.

but yes, they make a helluvalot more money buying back the $60 game for $20, & reselling it for $55.

rinse, repeat x10 & you’re talking about ~$400 profit on the same copy of a game.

25. RStui says:

I sent my mom my original RollerCoaster Tycoon. Recycling games doesn’t have to involve GameStop. I like to donate them, as well, once the ROI has peaked.

26. Louie Colon says:

I’m not big on gamestops trade in value. I have NBA 2k9… A 39.99 game I believe new… Used I think its like 34.99… Gamestop offers $12.00 cash, and maybe 15 credit. I’d personally rather sell it on ebay where it goes for 20-25 bucks not including shipping… so After fees and what not, you still come out with 10 bucks more then gamestop will offer. Add to the fact that I know who Im selling it to is going to enjoy playing it, rather then buy it and sell it for 3 times the trade in value. Also, buying used games only profits gamestop. Nothing goes to the companies that make the games on used sales. I support my game companies. Gamestop can suck a hard one.

• mattwiggins says:

@Louie Colon:

Unless you are sending a portion of the money you made selling the game on ebay to the company that made the game, you are hurting the company just as much as GS is.

You want more money for your game, that’s fine, don’t try and justify it with some flawed moral high ground.

27. econobiker says:

The new millenium version of the Great Depression unemployed sitting in a movie house all day long for 5¢.

28. Outrun1986 says:

I have figured out that the Gamestop model does not work for me. First of all with the edge card, you are paying 15$ a year for. You have to buy $150 of games in gamestop just to break even. This doesn’t save me any money, it just makes me buy my games at gamestop so I can desperately try to break even on my purchase, thus decreasing my choices of where I can buy video games. The magazine that comes with the card is garbage and isn’t worth the paper its printed on, so that is irrelevant here. In order to save 5$ out of pocket, I would have to purchase 200$ worth of used games from Gamestop.

I can save a lot more out of pocket and not have to deal with the edge card, poor condition games, or waiting till a game I want comes in stock used by shopping on ebay, trading games 1 for 1 with others on video game forums or just shopping online or in another store that has game x that I want on sale.

I don’t even buy 3 55$ used games a year, so its not helping me much. I buy mostly DS games, which have a lower price point. Again games are dropping in price so fast that its completely pointless for me to shop at Gamestop exclusively for used games with the edge card as I have such a backlog of games to play that even if I were to buy multiple games for 55$ each used then I would not have time to play them. By the time I got around to playing them their value would then be depreciated to nothing, and I just wasted a lot of money. Its better for me to buy my games after they have already depreciated in value.

Sometimes I will shop at Gamestop when they have a new game on sale that has just price dropped to a lower point than other stores, but other than that and the cheap Gamecube games they sell, I really don’t shop there that much. These instances are also very few and far between.

If you are trading games to Gamestop and you are getting a lot of credit out of your trade, its still not worth it to me because their prices are so much higher than anywhere else for the stuff I am looking for. So even if I do accumulate a decent amount of credit for as cheaply as possible, I am going to pay for it by paying inflated Gamestop prices for their used games. The instances that I shop for new games are so few and far between enough that it would be hard for me to even spend the credit on new games.

• mattwiggins says:

@Outrun1986:

I dunno where you are, but an edge membership is $5 where I come from. buy one newer used game and you get the card for free.

• Outrun1986 says:

@Matt Wiggins: Its 15$ everywhere in the USA now with a subscription to Gameinformer Magazine, it used to be 5$, which at that price, yes it was a good deal!

• Cyberxion101 says:

@Matt Wiggins: Yeah, but no. See, the thing is that rather than sell you an Edge card for fifteen dollars, they try to make the deal appear sweeter by telling you that you’re paying ten bucks for a sub to Game Informer and getting an Edge membership for an additional five bucks. It’s all about percieved value.

Also, the membership has never been five bucks. It used to be ten bucks at one point, but never lower than that. And it’s been fifteen for some time now. Dunno where you and Outrun got the idea that it was ever five bucks…

• Outrun1986 says:

@Cyberxion101: It was 5$, probably around 2004-2005 or maybe 2003. I personally purchased a 5$ edge card in the US so I know that, the 5$ price only got you an edge card and not a magazine subscription. Before this (around maybe 2000) it was 10$ for the card and the magazine subscription. I don’t know the prices from earlier years if the card even existed then.

I am talking about EBgames here, keep in mind that EBgames was swallowed up by Gamestop a few years ago. Before EBgames was a separate company from Gamestop, and that’s where I got the edge card for 5$ with no magazine subscription. EBgames used to be a MUCH better store with MUCH better prices than the current Gamestop has. Its possible that your Gamestop may not have offered discount cards or offered them at a higher price pre-merger. Again, the subscription with card for 10$ was also at EBgames stores.

Most recently its been 15$ for the subscription and the card from Gamestop. I do believe you can currently purchase an edge card for 5$ at an Ebgames store in Canada, (EBgames and Gamestop are still separate companies in Canada I do believe) but it would only be good in Canada as per the terms on the back of the card.

Hopefully I have made some sense of this.

29. Anonymous says:

Say what you want about the corporate policies of Gamestop, but I have to give BIG props to my local Gamestop store here in Grand Haven, Michigan. Well, the employees anyway. They’re top notch and have always looked out for my best interests. They’ve talked me out of buying crappy games and have steered me towards ones that were right on the money. They treat customers like friends and make you feel welcome. Gamers through and through.

Just wanted to say that! :)

30. trustsatan says:

One concept that is being awfully overlooked in this discussion is that with proprietary optical data discs like console games, condition doesn’t matter. Either your disc reads or it don’t, there’s no benefit to owning “mint” condition game discs. I’ll happily pay less than MSRP for a disc that someone has used before, no skin off my back. I’ve never had a problem (in the two decades of my patronage of EBGames / Gamestop) exchanging defective used discs for a copy of the same game, and it’s happened to me a few times.

• Ratty says:

@trustsatan: The downside is in buying a used game you’re not supporting the game developers in anyway, just Gamestop’s bottom line.

• Outrun1986 says:

@trustsatan: It is true that buying a used game gives the same exact gameplay experience as buying a new one, unless of course you are having problems with the disc or cartridge. In the case of a cartridge like the Nintendo DS cartridges there usually is no damage whatsoever and I have never come across a DS cartridge that did not read whether I bought it used at a yard sale or brand new out of the box.

I do prefer to have the box and manual to most games, but I will pick up a disc only or cartridge only game if the price is right, but I do expect the price to be discounted heavily if I am picking up a game without box or manual, since I am a collector by nature.

In this economy I am looking to save as much as possible on my game purchases, and if I can save a few dollars by not purchasing in retail I will do that. When I buy a used game I am usually buying off another private seller on ebay or I am trading it with another fellow gamer who wants one of my games and I want one of theirs so that both parties get a new game to play thus extending the entertainment value of the original purchase.

I would love to buy everything new, but when I can save 50% or more by buying used or on ebay, then my games are going to be purchased that way.

• Cyberxion101 says:

@Outrun1986: The pins on a DS card can become rusty and worn, and depending on how the game is treated, can come loose. All of this can lead to DS cards that just don’t work.

So yeah, while I’m not going to pretend I don’t buy used, I don’t kid myself that it’s something I can do with confidence. It’s a gamble, which makes the used market all the more infuriating. I don’t mind a missing manual or a scuffed or missing box, but I don’t enjoy opening a box only to find a game that looks like it’s had a fight with a Brillo pad.

And while Gamestop is usually pretty good about exchanging or refunding your cash on used game purchases under any circumstances, what do you do if it’s the last copy of a rare title? Just pray that some day, someone will sell them another? Meh.

• Outrun1986 says:

@Cyberxion101: I have successfully cleaned the pins on DS carts using an alcohol wipe wrapped around a credit card, and it does seem to remove the dirt. This may help if you have carts that don’t respond. Nintendo makes their stuff very strong so unless those carts have been submerged in water, they are going to last you a long, long time. I try to buy mostly from ebay, where the games I buy normally come from one owner who has bought the game new, played it and is now done with it and wants to sell it. From my experience buying on ebay, ebay game sellers tend to be much more careful with their games then random games bought from gamestop. It may be that I just have really good lucky with ebay, but I do choose the sellers I buy from carefully. With gamestop you get a lot of trade in’s from children, who don’t take care of their games and smear them in dirt and such. They may tote around the games more than they actually play them. Gamestop also takes in merchandise in ANY condition.

Price and what game it is are also big factors, I am hesitant to pay 5$ less for a beat up copy of game x from gamestop when I could have a new one for 5$ more. However if I have a chance to buy a decent condition copy of that same used game at a price that’s 20$ less than MSRP, then I will buy it. If its a game I intend to keep for a long time I might prefer to buy a new copy no matter what, but if its just something I want to play and might eventually sell I am most likely buying used.

I do agree that DS carts aren’t as sturdy as older GB or GBA carts, but I still believe they will last a very long time. I wish there was a way to open them because cleaning them when they are opened could prolong their life significantly. You can open a GBA or GBC game with no problem and I have opened many in order to clean them out. I have been through hundreds and thousands of game cartridges in my life for all systems and very, very few of them were actually dead to the point where you couldn’t revive them. Probably about 2-3 out of every thousand. The only thing that seems to kill them is submerging in water, which is what causes the rust. If you see rust on a game, you probably want to avoid it.

31. Anonymous says:

MaiaLeda, GameStop is NOT a “guaranteed” buyer. If they have too many copies of your game, they wont take it.

Much of the issue that is being overlooked here is not the fact that games are a good value for the price, but that the resale market is making a killing off of both the consumer and the producer. Those producing the game do not make any money off of a trade-in/resale, while the consumer loses an incredible amount in trade. GameStop often gives only $1-5 US for a trade in, then will turn around and attempt to sell it used for only $5 below MSRP for a new copy (between $50-60 US)!

32. StreamOfConsciousness says:

Although I hate Gamestop for all of their shady business practices especially when it comes to used games….it is nice to see some businesses doing well enough. Plus I am a huge XBOX 360 nerd.

Anybody wanna join me in blasting my way through the zombie apocalypse just hit me with a friend request on live…and a message.

My gamertag is Spitkicker

33. MoebiusSK8 says:

I have found that renting games is a better option for me. There are a few titles that I have purchased, but after I have beaten most games I have little interest in playing them further so a five day rental at $8 does the trick.

34. Yurei says:

Gamestops around here seem to be fairly cool, though some of the employees at the one just over the state line in Tyngsborough are fairly inept.

I go in there one weekend to pick up a couple of games. I pick up a new copy of condemned 2 and take it home. I start playing through it with the boyfriend, get stuck on a couple of parts, try looking up some player’s guides and frown at why things don’t match up. It’s not until we get to the game’s rather abrupt ending after beating it do we realize they gave us condemned 1 and not 2! It was at that point i’m double checking everything and notice the price sticker says “new”. I didn’t check when I bought it, all I cared about was the price tag. Grabbing my receipt, we go back to the store and explain what happened. Despite several days having passed, they took the copy of condemned 1 from us and gave us condemned 2 that I paid for. Out of curiosity I brought up the fact that it was supposed to be a “new’ game and it wasn’t shrink wrapped and the fact that they game (and thus the whole mix up) game from the cabinets with all the open game discs. They assured me that it was the open box display, last copy of it they had. Either way I could care less. For $20, I get to play 2 different games. Not a bad deal at all. Course, I kind of miss condemned 1, so I might just go buy it anyway now.

On this same shopping trip btw, I picked up a used copy of Gears of War 2- for $26. Right next to all the copies for $55. Someone had accidentally marked it on the shelf with an original GOW 1 SKU # and price. no one even noticed when I brought it to the register and rung it in. Heck, if I went to resell it now I could probably get all of my money back for it with the current trade in value. :) Not a bad value at all.

Keep your eyes open, sometimes you can make money off of these space cadets.

• Twinrevanoe says:

@Yurei: That’s exactly what I do. I still prowl around the GameCube or PS2 Isles, searching for that one game that is either marked wrong, or has a low price. You gotta know where you can look, really. Normally a recently out game sells for 45 bucks at best, so you got a really good deal, and lucky, on that.

Though, sometimes, if they’re busy the Mesquite, TX GameStop turns out being inept. Had to go in twice, in two different days, for a faulty PS2 Memory Card. One froze every time it tried loading all the games, another one was a PS1 Memory Card. After the third time, they gave me a Sony Memory Card and knocked off 3 bucks off the price just to make up all the trouble. I was actually relieved, because the memory card I was going to buy was 12 bucks and the one I was turning back in would only give me 9 bucks.

• Cyberxion101 says:

@Yurei: How’s this for awesome customer service? I bought a couple of used PSP games from Gamestop back in October for my brother’s Christmas present. I’m wrapping ‘em up the week before Christmas and open one up to show my mom what a UMD looks like (She was curious, don’t ask me why…), and lo-and-behold, neither game was in its case.

Now before someone says it, I know that I should have checked. I nearly almost do. Nearly, this being the one and only time I forgot to before and since. Anyway, back to the story.

So still had the receipt lying around, and I called the Gamestop and explained the situation to them. They told me to come on back to the store and that the dude who did the original transaction would take care of me. Two minutes after walking into the store, I walked out with both games.

They could have told me to fark off, given that the sale was made two months before, I had no real evidence that they had shorted me, and I really should have noticed it way before that. However they took care of me and were really cool about it. I can’t ask for better service, and that it came from a Gamestop made it all the more impressive.

Now it’s my favored location.

• Cyberxion101 says:

@Yurei: You know, part of being a human-being is that human-error factors into things from time to time. So are these folks inept space-cadets? Absolutely not. Accidents happen, mistakes are made. They’re only human.

Now what I find funny is that you’re calling these folk’s intelligence into question you’re apparently too dense to have looked at the disk or even the game’s title screen at any point in order to verify what the hell it was that you were playing. You’ve got to be several shades of stupid not to know that you weren’t playing Condemned 2, and yet you didn’t realize it even when the FAQs didn’t match up. At least not at first. I mean you got it eventually, but damn. Talk about the teapot calling the kettle black.

That aside, I understand why you’re questioning their intelligence. After all, Gamestop sucks and so too must its employees by extension, right? Guilty by association is the name of the game you’re playing. Does that seem unfair to anyone else?

Look, if you take a moment away from pandering to the masses that believe that Gamestop is evil instead of just being mildly annoying at worst and reflect on the situation, you’d note that these guys indeed rectified their error, they did so on your word alone, and they did it well after they were required to do anything for you at all. Also, you’ll note that the second example you offered us does more to make you look line an opportunistic shithead than anything else, given that you were quick to capitalize on their mistake instead of informing them they had made one.

So yeah, get over it. Gamestop may or may not be evil, but its employees don’t deserve to be treated like second-class citizens. God forbid you ever make a mistake at doing whatever it is that you do.

• Yurei says:

@Cyberxion101: Nothing like taking it totally out of proportion, dude. This one dude who dealt with every transaction i’ve done IS a total space cadet- he can’t even give you back change. You hand him $50 for $40 something dollars in transactions, and he hands you the coins but then closes the drawer and you have to say “Hey, what about the bills?” i’d say maybe he was having a bad day, but he’s always like that every time.

I’m not saying Gamestop is evil- far from it. I LIKE Gamestop, as they don’t pull any shenanigans out in my area. As for not noticing condemned 2 being condemned 1- I didn’t know anything about the game. My boyfriend pointed it out on the shelf, said it was horror and he thought i’d like it, grabbed it, went home, started plying. The title screen is not apparently obvious. You see “condemned” clearly enough, but the 1-2 and the sub title “bloodshot” etc does not immediately jump out at you.

And why should I point out their mistake to them on pricing games? The retail store I used to work at, if I didn’t keep up on the constantly fluxing prices on Magic cards and sold something for less than it was worth, well then that was just too bad for us. With over 10k cards to know the prices on, it’s hard to keep up. they should have said something at the register. Again, it was space cadet ringing me in and he barely even glanced at the case. I triple checked the game in the case on that one in the car to make sure he gave me the right version of gears. I work for minimum wage in retail (when not laid off) so of course, if I see a good deal i’ll grab it and so would anyone else. $25 savings is a lot of money. If I could afford to buy games at full retail, i’d already own Fable 2 instead of being stuck waiting for the money to pick it up. Cause yanno, unlike the rest of America apparently, I have the willpower to not charge it on a credit card and wrack up debt with the purchase when I don’t actually have money for things.

Being an “opportunistic shithead” would have been if I grabbed some controllers and stuff off of the rack and walked out when they went into the back room.

Was probably the same space cadet who priced the box who was working the counter the last several times. The other person working there, who looked to be the manager was quite top notch. I was never saying all employees there are bad, just some clearly are like you will find at any store.

35. Derv says:

Gamestop is like a weed in Lynchburg. Check this Google Page: [maps.google.com]

You can walk A & B within about 5 minutes, and C is about 2 minutes up the road by car. Unbelievable. The worst part is, the phone numbers for all the stores are mixed up online. I ended up going to 2 wrong stores trying to get a copy of Splinter Cell to mod my Xbox.

• Cyberxion101 says:

@Derv: It’s the same way ’round these parts. The three stores in town are just about three miles apart from one another at most.

Also, you should totally lend me your copy of Splinter Cell. XBMC is calling my name, though the PS3′s media server functionality has got me covered for the time being.

36. Hirayuki says:

I’m a Japanese-English translator and de facto specialist in video games. While my colleagues bemoan the lack of patent work (since companies are being more discriminating in what they choose to put through the pricey patent process) and financial work (the big banks don’t have the money to have much more than the bare necessities translated, if that), I find myself busier than ever–knock on wood.

(I love video games, too; I’m one of those rare people who’ve managed to parlay two of her hobbies into a career.)

37. Rctdaemon says:

Another even better way to go than Game$top is to (if you have one) dig out an old console and look around on somewhere like eBay for games for it. More likely than not, the games will be dirt cheap and you’ll be supporting the economy more than “selling” games to Game$top and buying used games there. There’s over 10 years worth of good PC games that you can find pretty cheaply as well, in case you don’t want to go looking for old consoles (Steam is a good place to start). Also, look on Wii Virtual Console, Xbox Live Arcade, and PlayStation Network for good games at good prices.

Just my .02 though.

• econobiker says:

@Rctdaemon: Our local craigslist had someone from the “gold coast” area of town dumping a Playstation I with a large amount of add ons/etc and huge amount of games for $60. Good if you never had one…

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

@Rctdaemon: when my ps2 was needign repairs and i couldnt’ afford to get it fixed/traded out i picked up a ps1 at goodwill for $10. since half my games were already ps1 [love that backwards compatibility] i was able to stretch out the time until i got the ps2 traded out without being bored out of my mind.
      i often see old consoles and games at thrift stores. the tricky bit is knowing if they work. but there are plenty of online stores too. i just saw an atari 2600 at an online store yesterday, tested, working and $25 with a multitude of games for $3 each. i know it doesn’t cut it for people who insist on the latest games but if you grew up on the stuff, it’s a neat trip down memory lane

38. Tresa Rivers says:

Our family has 3 World of Warcraft accounts. There is no way we could get the amount of entertainment out of 45 bucks per month out of any other venue than we do playing wow.

Bonus: teenager voluntarily spends time with mom and dad!

39. mariospants says:

What’s amazing is how people really do love their video games. They’re great escapist entertainment at a reasonable price (I recall my parents paying $400 for a video game system and $40+ for videogame cartridges in the 1980′s) so as long as the high production quality and innovation keeps coming, people will buy.

40. Anonymous says:

As a GameStop employee, I’ll be the first to say I hate our policies and practices. Thing is, any company, any company you can imagine is about one thing first and foremost and that’s money. Everyone knows the company makes the majority of its money from used sales. Nothing new, so stop complaining. The thing that bothers me is what people are saying about the employees. Now remember that I can’t speak for employees at the stores near you, but in my store and the stores in my area, we know what we’re doing, though accidents do happen.

I’m not sure anyone realizes that we get crap from not only customers but from corporate as well. We’re told that we need to push pre-orders and subscriptions (the edge card/discount card) to help the company. We’re graded on our performance of pushing these on people and when we do poorly we’re told we need to step it up or else… but our jobs aren’t in jeopardy… They tell us everything we’ve done wrong (ie: we haven’t made them enough money), and never recognized on our good performance. Our pay sucks, you only get benefits if you’re upper management, etc.

On top of that and more, we have to deal with retarded customers all day who get frustrated with us for the most ridiculous things. “Do you have this game with that guy and the sword?” “Why do you display things that you don’t have in stock?”(Publishers pay GameStop for the martketing space, we can’t take it down even if we don’t have it.) Then the complaints about the prices we offer, even though we have no say over trade prices. I’d get another job if there were any available where I live right now. I hate it there, but it’s a job and I’m good at my job. I’m a GameStop employee, does that make me a horrible person? No.

So next time you decide to bitch about GameStop, realize that unless you work there, you have nothing to bitch about. Get over it. Get over yourself.

41. techmaster says:

Too bad GameStop is a horrible rip-off. Seriously, $55 for a used game, when I can find the same thing on amazon.com for less than $40, including shipping? Sorry, not happening.