Consumer Advocate Clark Howard Announces He Has Prostate Cancer

The consumer advocate, author, and radio personality Clark Howard told his listeners yesterday that he’s been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Fortunately, it was caught very early, so chances are excellent that it can be removed without complications. Like a true advocate, Howard took advantage of the announcement to urge men over 40 to get regularly screened for prostate cancer.

“Consumer advocate Clark Howard diagnosed with prostate cancer” [CNN]
(Photo: HLN)

Comments

1. Pupator says:

Growing up in the Atlanta area I heard Clark on the radio all the time. I saw recently that he has a TV Show on HLN now. Most of what he says is very good – though he does (stupidly) encourage people to “use debt wisely.”

I’m glad they found this early on and pray he has a speedy and uncomplicated recovery.

• lars2112 says:

@Pupator: Best of luck to him too!

• godawgs7 says:

@Pupator: Well, there is good debt and bad debt. Taking out a mortgage on a house is good debt (as long as you have the income to pay it off). Having credit card debt is bad debt.

• Pupator says:

@godawgs7: @godawgs7:

Yep, that’s my bad, I should have been more specific.

Clark encourages the “responsible use of credit cards,” which involves taking advantage of low interest offers (which means not paying your monthly balance off in full.”

No problem here with mortgages, though I totally disagree with Omnizero that a car loan is ever a good idea. I don’t use credit cards myself (not enough self-discipline) but I imagine for those who can actually pay them off every month it’s not so bad.

Regardless – continued prayers for Clark and his family..

2. OmniZero says:

I only started hearing about this guy when he showed up on HLN. From what I’ve seen he is good at what he does. And as for “use debt wisely,” sometimes debt is unavoidable like mortgages and car loans.

What’s good is he’s a fresh face on HLN, which is becoming full of stupidity lately (Mike Galanos I’m looking at you…)

• Traveshamockery says:

@OmniZero: I disagree – car loans are indeed avoidable…you just have to be willing to save enough cash and buy what you can afford.

It’s surprising that our culture is so accepting of taking out a loan on a very expensive, rapidly depreciating asset. I have a car on its last legs, but I plan to save save save and drive it into its grave, then buy a nice 3-4 year old replacement.

• Farquar says:

@InfiniTrent: This actually depends on what you want to buy. In situation like right now, where there is widespread availability of 0% auto loans it is not in your best interest to pay straight cash for a car if you were going to buy a new or nearly new car. Put the cash in an interest bearing account and pay your 0% payments. You build credit, and actually make 3% (or whatever your interest rate is) on the money you would have otherwise spent up front.

You might think its dumb for people to buy a new car, but a lot of people (most people) are more than willing to pay a bit more to have the security of a warranty that protects them when the transmission goes out.

3. FooSchnickens - Full of SCAR says:

Shoot, I wouldn’t wait until 40 to start getting exams, I’m not even 30 and have added them to my yearly check-up regimen.

Although both of my grandfathers have/had issues with prostate cancer so I guess I’m just being cautious.

4. Jubilance22 says:

I like Clark Howard, and I’m sorry to hear he has prostate cancer.

A friend of mine who is in his early 30’s was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year. Like Clark Howard, they caught it early. He’s had surgery and radiation and it looks like he’s going to make a full recovery.

5. windycitygirl68 says:

I lived in Atlanta for 7 years and listened to Clark faithfully, annoying nasal voice and all. His book about teaching money matters to kids is great. And Clark’s Christmas for Kids is a wonderful thing that he does every year for the foster kids of the Atlanta area, making sure that they all get a gift at Christmas. Clark is a good guy, and I wish him nothing but the best.

6. renegadebarista says:

I’ve spent many a late night flight listening to the podcasts of Clark’s show on my iPod. I’ve always liked his advice more then Ramsey’s I think he is a little more common sense then Dave as he doesn’t see everything as rigidly black and white as Dave Ramsey. He’s in my thoughts for a speedy recovery.

• andrewwied says:

Agreed. I also like the fact that he doesn’t do endorsements and the like. Listening to Dave, while good, can get a little over-Ramsey-fied.

Here’s to a speedy recovery, Clark!

7. kexline says:

Clark is a pillar of the community, passionate about consumer education, consumer advocacy, and responsible charity. I wish him the best.

8. idx says:

I used to listen to him when I lived in Atlanta and he came in to the store I worked at several times. He was always really polite and generous. I hope he recovers quickly.

9. Parapraxis says:

Clark Howard rocks— I remember waiting at a Borders’ Books here in Costa Mesa, CA for a book signing, and I swear, the line was snaking around the entire bookstore.

Apparently, uncomplicated common financial sense does has its fans…

10. laserjobs says:

I wonder if he is a milk drinker

[www.reuters.com]

11. HogwartsAlum says:

I don’t know who this guy is, but I wish him the best of luck.

12. alstein says:

He is awesome, and does give a lot of good advice. Definitely the one person on talk radio who actually provides something other then hot air.

Get well soon.

13. Donathius says:

My uncle just found out he has prostate cancer and they’re doing a radical prostatectomy on March 3rd. It doesn’t seem to have metastasized so it looks like he’s going to be ok. Unfortunately for all the men in the family my great-grandfather had it (and beat it at age 89!), my grandfather MAY have it (more tests needed next month) and now my uncle has it. Looks like I’m getting my PSA checked at my next physical when I’ll be 28.

• RandomHookup says:

@Donathius: Yep, the family trend has me concerned as well. My dad had an orchiectomy … he actually made eunuch jokes after the fact. He lived about 13 years after diagnosis.

14. KarateMedia says:

As an Atlantan, I have much love for Clark. As noted above, he does a lot of good with area charitable causes. This is sad news and I hope for the best.

15. David Brodbeck says:

Prostate cancer doesn’t get the kind of attention breast cancer does, maybe because men don’t like to talk about their health. But it’s the second leading cause of death in men and about 10% of us will be diagnosed with it in our lifetimes. Some studies have suggested that nearly every man has some form of it, it’s just that it often progresses slowly enough that symptoms don’t appear before they die of something else.

16. ZukeZuke says:

Hope Clark beats the cancer!

I enjoy listening to him and feel like he’s a genuinely nice guy. Most of his advice is pretty fundamental, but that’s mostly what people need.

• David Brodbeck says:

@ZukeZuke: I think people like him and Dave Ramsey mostly tell people stuff they already know, but that they need to hear from an authority figure to actually put into practice. Dr. Laura, as well. I don’t mean this as a criticism, but I do find it interesting.

17. swedub says:

Awww, that sucks. Luckily they caught it early. I used to listen to his show when I lived in Atlanta. It’s the only radio show I ever called and I got on the air. Unfortunately I can’t find his syndicated show anywhere in South Florida.

BTW, his website has a plethora of great consumer advice and information …

[clarkhoward.com]

18. Ein2015 says:

That picture totally doesn’t fit with the headline.

Best of luck to the guy… hope he’s able to keep fighting the good fight.

19. Hands says:

Clark Howard once gave me a Tootsie Roll. I was doing some chair massage at his radio station and he’d brought in a big ol’ jug of assorted candies from Costco. Saw me, reached in and handed me one. How’s that for some serious namedropping?

Clark, if you happen to be reading this, Kim and Rik were friends of mine and she set it up. More namedropping.