Smithfield, the world’s biggest pork processor, will close 6 plants and lay off 1,800. I know saying that every little thing is a sign of the apocalypse is a horrible cliche, but I know something about the topic, and when you can’t make money selling bacon we’re all in trouble. [Bloomberg]

Comments

1. t-r0y says:

They’ve got a new competitor: 111th United States Congress. They just can’t compete with that.

2. Murph1908 says:

Wonder how Abe Froeman is doing these days.

3. SteelersAreGo says:

Well played Meg.

4. GenXCub says:

Standalone bacon is so 70′s. Bacon has become a food accessory these days. They need to diversify and make bacon-wrapped cheesecake, bacon-wrapped white castles, and bacon-wrapped bacon bits.

5. Roy Hobbs says:

Try googling Bacon Explosion. You clog your arteries just looking at it.

6. gttim says:

By “closing six plants” do they mean closing six hog farms? Is this where they abandon the property and try to force the cleanup of the multi-million gallon lakes of hog waste onto the American taxpayers? Or do they just keep the property and try to pretend that their shit doesn’t stink?

7. c_c says:

They’ve often been in the news here in NC with labor and animal abuse issues… seems like they treat their workers and pigs pretty poorly.

8. nataku8_e30 says:

You would think that there would be more demand for pork products under poor economic condition since they’re cheaper than other meats.

9. working class Zer0 says:

Bacon, natures candy.

10. chilled says:

Pork is the most popular meat in the world…I think their export markets have weakened…

11. valsharess1 says:

It could also be the growing number of vegans and vegetarians, the fact that turkey bacon is healthier and tasty, or the fact, as someone commented above that they treat their animals and employees poorly, and I don’t care what anyone says, that will always come back to bite you.

12. conquestofbread says:

I consider it a victory, but I am an animal rights fanatic, so I’m biased (still don’t like PETA, but support many other controversial groups).

13. TerribleDecade says:

Will it decrease those shit lakes? I think not.

14. serreca says:

Their fast-food barbecue restaurants are great. I’m from NC originally and that’s the first meal we eat when we get there.

15. yagisencho says:

Speaking of bacon, does anyone know where I can buy back bacon? I’m not a fan of stomach bacon, yet that’s all supermarkets sell.

• oneswellfoop says:

@yagisencho: Don’t go to supermarkets! Damn. Find a good butcher that knows the farmers that he buys from. Be concerned and interested in the product he is selling you. Learn from him, establish a good relationship with the source of your food. Ask him if he’ll cut some back bacon for you. Most good butchers, if they don’t have what you want, will go out of their way to get it for you, especially if it means another repeat customer.

Shame on you for buying factory farmed pork (or any meat for that matter) from a huge supermarket!

Please, for your own good, read “The Omnivores Dilemma” and “The River Cottage Meat Book”. You’ll never eat factory farmed meat again, and whole new worlds of flavor and texture will open up to you.

16. Anonymous says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is their last-ditch effort to put the squeeze on those employees who finally won their battle to organize.

Any idea how many of the doomed plants are union?

17. papahoth says:

Their Virginia Hams are excellent, and Edwards from the same county are even better.