JetBlue Will Refund Your Ticket If You Get Laid Off Or Fired

Afraid you might get laid off? Too worried to book plane tickets? JetBlue thinks you are. They’ve launched a program that guarantees a full refund to those of you who get laid off at least two weeks before you fly.

In order to take advantage of the refund you:

Must be 18.

Must involuntarily lose your job.

Have personally paid for the travel you’re looking to get refunded and be a traveler on the reservation/itinerary for which a refund is sought.

After all of that trauma, all you need to do is sign an “Eligibility Letter” and have it notarized — fax it to JetBlue at least 14 days before you fly, and then send the original by certified mail.

JetBlue says:

“JetBlue is committed to helping customers book stress-free travel plans, and based on their feedback we made adjustments to our refund policy to allow them to book with confidence,” said Robin Hayes, executive vice president and chief commercial officer for JetBlue Airways. “This price promise allows them to book early and take advantage of our low fares without worrying they will lose their money if they need to cancel their trip due to job loss.”

The offer applies to new air-only JetBlue flight purchases made between February 1, 2009 and June 1, 2009. You can find more information about this refund guarantee, here.

Promise Program [JetBlue]
The JetBlue Promise Program: If You Lose Your Job, We’ll Refund Your Fare (Press Release) [JetBlue]

Comments

1. mobomelter says:

Glad to see another company is at least trying to make a valid attempt at helping people who’ve been laid off. I know Hyundai is doing something similar and it’s just nice to see someone cares.

• suzieq says:

@mobomelter: I really hope you were being sarcastic, because they don’t really care, they just want to make money. Its a total marketing ploy.

• YamiNoSenshi says:

@suzieq:
        I get tired of seeing this. EVERYTHING is a marketing ploy. EVERY COMPANY wants you to give them your money, no matter what anyone says. But that doesn’t automatically make it bad.

• ecwis says:

@suzieq: I think they’re good marketing ploys though, especially Hyundai’s plan. A lease is a huge commitment. If they allow you to return the car early without any problems or fees, that makes the lease very appealing. I hope that it works well for Hyundai.

2. LetMeGetTheManager says:

Great move by JetBlue…

3. cynical_bastard says:

I’m on the fence with these type of programs…

Consumer confidence is low, but I just get a bad feeling about where this is going…

4. yajjo says:

Appears to be taking lessons from Hyundai and using an economic apocalypse as a marketing tool. Hyundai used it to fuel a growth in auto sales when all others were losing market share.

5. philmin says:

This brings something much more alarming: the fact that airlines would refuse a ticket refund in the first place to those who had lost their jobs and given the airline advanced notice of such.

6. scoosdad says:

I’ve always loved JetBlue and this just reinforces that feeling. Thanks JetBlue, hope I never have to take you up on that offer {knock wood}.

7. FunkmasterC says:

JetBlue has always had smart common-sense marketing. Even after September 11, 2001, they didn’t try to cram “It’s safe to fly!” messages down peoples throat but took an understanding “We’ll be here when you’re ready” approach.

8. jmndos says:

Jet blue it turning Jet black……

9. drrictus says:

They’ll probably blame your layoff on the weather, and renege on the guarantee.

• Barney_The Plug_ Frank says:

@drrictus: No, not Jetblue. JB is one of the very few domestic airlines that treats their customers decently. Lets give them the benefit of the doubt–they’ve earned it.

10. whatdoyoucare says:

Well, my husband has to fly a lot for work. He fronts the money and then the company reimburses him (no company credit cards). I would be really pissed off if he we were stuck paying for his ticket or all the cancellation fees. I think this is a good idea by Jet Blue.

11. DH405 says:

As the title was truncated, my RSS feeder listed this story as “JetBlue Will Refund Your Ticket If You Get Laid”

Just thought I should make note of this.

12. larrymac808 says:

“fax it to JetBlue at least 14 days before you fly” probably ought to say “before you were going to fly”, since they’ll be cancelling your reservation.

I wonder why the program has an end date though? Does JetBlue think things are going to be rosy by June?

• scoosdad says:

@larrymac808: Because if they didn’t have at least a placeholder expiration date, this offer could technically last forever. Easier from a PR perspective to extend the expiration date periodically than to suddenly impose one where there was none before, to end the program.

13. the_gank says:

I just got laid off by my super hawt gf . Can I get a refund pls?

14. Robb Shecter says:

I think this is radical because it does something more than just present a new marketing twist:

It’s a new business pattern that can be the way out of the recession.

Why? The recession worsens because people are *scared* of losing their jobs. Not because they’ve actually lost their jobs. And this fear causes wide shifts in spending. Which then causes real job loss.

But this program is a solution out of that cycle: The refund guarantee removes the fear, which stops the change in spending.

Hopefully, this marketing idea will catch on as other businesses aim to compete.

15. Corporate-Shill says:

Slimy program designed to tug at the heart strings. Pretty much describes both Hyundai and Jet Blue’s programs.

16. baquwards says:

I can’t believe that people could look at this and Hyundai’s programs and be so cynical. Yeah it is a marketing ploy, but it is a good one, you get a great product from either jet blue or hyundai, but if the unimaginable happens, they help take off some of the stress of the situation, this seems like a win win to me.

17. mariospants says:

“In order to take advantage of the refund you:

Must be 18.”

Dammit. I haven’t been 18 in a long time. Guess that rules 90% of us out.

18. cheesebubble says:

I’m impressed by JetBlue’s gesture. Just had to chime in with some kudos. I think Canada’s [WestJet.com] should follow suit.

19. tworld says:

JetBlue good job. Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap (that’s me applauding).