10 Facebook Privacy Settings To Know

Concerned about how discreet your bits are over at Facebook? The All Facebook blog has 10 privacy settings ever user should know about, from removing yourself from Facebook and Google searches, to who can see your tagged photos, and other basic ways of controlling your content.

10 Privacy Settings Every Facebook User Should Know [AllFacebook via Lifehacker]

Comments

1. Brittany Stewart says:

All good things to know. Some of this I didn’t even know was possible. The friend settings I had already implemented, but tomorrow I’m going for the rest of it. I don’t want facebook using any of my stuff because I neglected to make it private enough.

2. mgy says:

I was thinking about making a super hilarious internet joke about friending Ben et al., but then I stopped to think…

…when did ‘friend’ become a verb? What have I become?

3. pockygt says:

This is a very good reminder of the settings that have existed for a while. Too bad it took a crazy set of ToS to make people realize that they should be a bit more careful how much of their life they put online.

4. madanthony says:

Of course, doing some of these have trade-offs – making it so people can’t search for you, imho, pretty much defeats the point of facebook and social networking.

Sadly, my life isn’t exciting enough for there to be any embarrassing pictures of me to be tagged.

5. Nenne says:

I feel like there so much to do to cover your self on facebook, I would just delete my profile before do all of that.

6. Plates says:

Best privacy setting of all – don’t have a facebook account!

7. Swizzler121 says:

I just upped my security settings (to higher than the article recommends), I just keep the account around to see what the fellow grads are up to.

8. Claytons says:

Seems the “remove yourself from google searches” tip no longer works. Sadly, that’s the only one I’d really be interested in.

• CFinWV says:

@Claytons: Are you sure? If so this is a change within the last few days because I helped my friend implement this feature this past weekend.

• Mr_Human says:

@Claytons: I couldn’t find it, either

• Gaambit says:

@Mr_Human: It’s there. If you have your search setting already set to anything other than “Everyone” it won’t show up. Go under “Search” in the Privacy settings and change the search visibility drop-down to “Everyone”. That box should appear, and you can un-check it, then change your visibility back to “Just Friends” or whatever t was on to further ensure it stays that way.

• johnva says:

@Claytons: Looks like it works just fine to me. Keep in mind that if your profile is already in the search engines it might take them awhile to remove it; it’s not going to instantly vanish.

9. Drew5764 says:

Apparently Ben isn’t concerned enough with his privacy settings so he shared last Halloween’s pictures with us?

Or is that just the best possible photo for the story?

10. Gaambit says:

Great post! Thanks for sharing. I was pretty confident I was doing all those things right, but I liked having confirmation. As I’m currently job hunting, it’s nice to know that potential employers can’t find anything on me on Facebook.
    Now when my wife comes home tonight, it’s time to make sure she has the same settings enabled (she’s a middle school teacher just like the wife of the article’s author).

11. floraposte says:

So…Tinkerbell?

12. Buckaroo_GitEmSteveDave says:

Ben, how did you find that picture of me. Have you been watching my cams and taking screencaps? ;)

13. Dean Siracusa says:

While Facebook has reverted to their previous contract, my biggest beef with the Facebook Terms of Service still hasn’t changed. Specifically, the TOS has always said that they can sublicense your images, video, etc… to anyone without compensation to you. That essentially makes them a stock photo agency with the worst terms in history. See the underlined portion of the contract.

This is what I have a problem with: “…fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense)…” and “….and distribute such User Content for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise…”

Sublicense means to be able to rent your work, photos, video, music, etc… to others. You are still relinquishing your rights to your work according to the Facebook TOS.

14. Yamunation says:

Great tips!
    But No. #3 doesn’t seem to exist…that does not show up for me.