Consumerist Friday Flickr Pool Finds

Here are five wonderful photos readers added to The Consumerist Flickr Pool this week, picked for neatness and usability in a Consumerist post. Check ‘em out, vote for your fave!

Title: “Day 043/365 – The Fourth Circle of Hell: Envy
By: Great Beyond

Title: “Last Day of School
By: tjean314
Caption: “On the last day of school, 5th graders at the Baton Rouge Center for Visual and Performing Arts released a fleet of helium-filled balloons. The event was a rite of passage: at once a celebration of the end of elementary school and an embarkation to the brave new world of middle school. Attached to the balloons were cards expressing the students’ hopes and dreams. “

Title: “how to get warm
By: squashed bug

Title: “Smile Like You Mean It
By: besar bears
Caption: “This construction site hoarding in Macau was adorned with flying Cheshire cats. Strange, eh? “

Title: “Mr Corporate
By: amcdaniel83
Caption: “Charles keeps the books on this dodgy shipping company”

Our Flickr Pool is the place where Consumerist readers go and upload photos for possible use in future Consumerist posts. Just be a registered Flickr user, go here, and click “Join Group?” up on the top right, and start hitting “send to group” on your individual photos you want to add to the pool.

Add your shots to The Consumerist Flickr pool, and perhaps they’ll get featured in a future story, or even highlighted in a Friday Consumerist Flickr Pool Finds post. See previous winners of the Friday Consumerist Flickr Pool finds here.

Comments

1. downwithmonstercable says:

Had to go with the balloons, but the one with the cartoon cats flying on the wall was a close second…

2. PlasmaMachine says:

“Envy” lol.

3. Allison Palmer says:

Deer God: I hope my baloon flys out over the byootiful oshin and, upon deflating, becomes lodged in a dolfin’s blowhole. Thx God! Ur the best!

4. Ninja Tree says:

I liked the first although the wii person looks like the librarian to a school i went to.

5. col1999 says:

Excellent pictures this week.

6. Boulderite says:

I voted for the balloons, but I also like the Cartoon Cats.

7. formatc says:

Had to go with the Finlandia. Best vodka ever.

8. MSUHitman says:

She can take her Wii and shove it. PS360 FTW!

9. Rask says:

Why is he envying a Wii. He has a machine that plays the GOOD games.

• The_IT_Crone says:

@Rask: AGREED. The Wii is the new “coffee table book.” You don’t use it, it’s just there for people to look at when they come over.

• KillTheAcademy says:

@Rask: that was myb thought exactly. He should be looking at her like “fool.”

• 16BitAlex says:

@Rask:
      What are those good games? Name two 360-exclusive games that non-Kotaku members would enjoy.

On the Wii I can name Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros Brawl.

PS3 I could understand, since it’s not so much a game console as it is an excellent Blu-ray player.

To be fair, part of my anti-360-ness comes from the fact that I am no good at shooters, and I will give it the fact that 360 is often the system of choice when a game is multi-platform (e. g. Rock Band 2, since it gets the downloadable songs first)

Meanwhile the balloons one was trying too hard to be sentimental. Little art students sending up balloons, yech.

• fatetwister64 says:

@16BitAlex: 360 only gets Rock Band songs earlier because Sony releases them on Thursday Harmonix has no say in when they flip the switch. Sony is very bad with thier digital titles in the same way. They put out press releases thay day games go up, insted of in advance. A big pain for press types.

2 exclusive games of non Kotaku people? Banjo Nuts and Bolts, and Ticket to Ride on XBLA

• Davan says:

@Rask: Yeah! So right! A system that plays Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Metroid 3, Twilight Princess, Zach and Wiki, Okami + every classic game vs. Halo and GoW… and it breaks down and wont power on after 6 months! What a great competition!

• El_Fez says:

@Rask:

Being that I’m the one in the photo doing the envying, I thought I’d come in and say that there was no statement of fanboy-ism to that photo, and that I like both systems equally well.

The PS3, on the other hand, can blow goats. :)

• penuspenuspenus says:

@El_Fez: Does your grandma let you touch her Wii?

• StreamOfConsciousness says:

@El_Fez: Ha! Yeah PS3 is rubbish. Sony dropped the ball this gen with their bullshit blu-ray player.

• Microshock says:

@StreamOfConsciousness:
          It’s one of the best Blu-ray Players on the market and is the best game console in my opinion which much more variety and better exclusives.

TO ME, the 360 games that are exclusive that interest me are halo 3 and Gears of War 2. Other than that, it has nothing to offer me

Left 4 dead is also not exclusive since its on pc. Most of the shit on the 360, i can get on ps3 or pc anyway. So the ps3 is rubbish shit, is bullshit itself.
          Xbox Live may be better but it isnt worth the price of admission for features that pc gamers have had since the 1990′s.

• MMD says:

@Rask: I’m surprised no one has done a line drawing of an XBox owner peeing on a Wii and vice versa.

To each own…

• suburbancowboy says:

@Rask: When I bought the wii, it was so exciting and fresh. And when people came over everyone wanted to play. Now it is collecting dust, and the only thing people want to play is Rock Band 2 on the 360.

• JDAC says:

@Rask: Too true.

I have both. One hasn’t been touched for months, the other has Left 4 Dead, Rock Band 2 and Project Gotham Racing played frequently.

Mario can kiss my ever increasing gamer ass.

• StreamOfConsciousness says:

@JDAC: Hell yeah…”Left 4 Dead” is fantastic. ONe of the funnest multi-player experiences I have ever had.

Don’t know if you play it often but feel free to send me a friend request on LIVE if you are looking for a skilled partner. My gamertag is Spitkicker.

10. XTC46 says:

Wow…there is a big fine here for releasing baloons like that…

11. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

What a nicely styled photo that first one is.

12. Microshock says:

@Davan:
    I totally agree that the 360 is basically another Halo-box with some titles on the side. It’s basically xbox 1 all over again.
    But it’s better than the Wii, why do you think everyone that bought it at launch has sold it by now? Because it gets boring.

Those games are pretty much the only games on that platform, I’d say a ps3 should be the system everyone likes.

• Davan says:

@Microshock: “why do you think everyone that bought it at launch has sold it by now? Because it gets boring.”

Not really sure what you mean by this. I still have my Wii – If I play the same game for 2 years, yeah its gonna be boring (wii, 360 or ps3), and if I buy a new game it wont be. So what youre saying makes no sense to me.

I have all 3, to be clear. But the 360 is the only one Ive had to do RRoD repairs on 3 separate times. Anyone trying to say that 360 is the best is a sad, sad person.

• undertakernv says:

@Davan: I’ve got all 3 systems and my 360 is my favorite. DS second, PS3 3rd, PSP 4th, and Wii is dead last. Those Nintendo games plus a couple 3rd party games just don’t cut it. Maybe I’ll dust it off when Madworld comes out.

But hey, I’m not going to insult you because it’s your favorite system.

• karmaghost says:

@Davan:

Anyone trying to say that 360 is the best is a sad, sad person.

:):):):):):):):):) THE XBOX 360 IS THE BEST!!! AND JUST LOOK AT ALL THOSE SMILEY FACES!!!1! :):):):):):):) <3<3<3<#<3

• StreamOfConsciousness says:

@Microshock: What?? There are soo many more games than just “Halo 3″ on 360.

“Dead Space” being one of my favorites…

13. El_Fez says:

I hate to admit it, but I really like the balloons against the sky. That didn’t stop me from voting for myself however. :)

14. Jennifer Duquette says:

We (well, Santa) got the Wii for our kids for Christmas. Wr got them an Xbox last year-already the kids have played the Wii about twice as much as they ever played the Xbox.
    We have a fairly modest selection of games (Wii Sports, Wii Play, Guitar Hero, Cookin’ Mama, Disney Princesses and a couple Gamecube games) but they have just had a great time with it.
    And you know what? It is the first game system that I have ever even remotely wanted to play right alongside of them-it’s really fun to play.
    So my take on it is that for the “serious” gamer, a Wii may not be the best fit, but for families (especially ones with younger kids) it is just an all-around blast.
    (And that’s not even taking into consideration how many nights the hubby and I have had tournaments after the kids go to bed!) :-)

15. Anonymous says:

As one of those in the “envy” photo, I have to say the sometimes vitrolic commentary about both the wii and the X-box I’ve seen here demonstrates the point of the photo nicely.

Each system has its strengths and weaknesses, there are games everyone in the house likes on each of those systems. The boxes could have easily been reversed for the sake of the photo, the point of the photo was more to express the “deadly sin” of Envy as part of an ongoing series of photos than to show a preference for one system or the other.

That said – we knew some people would be unable to resist flaming on the systems shown. For those who did, thank you for your predictability.

16. StreamOfConsciousness says:

LOL….envious of the wii? I am sure I will catch some crap from this but that system is lame!

The 360 is capable of soo much more than 2 game cubes taped together with a gimmicky ass controller.

• Zorantor says:

@StreamOfConsciousness: If you don’t like the Wii, don’t buy one. There’s no need to go shouting around the Internet about how awful something is just because you don’t enjoy it. We call that “trolling.”

17. Microshock says:

@StreamOfConsciousness:
    Dead Space is on the PS3, PC, and Xbox 360. I was talking exclusives.

18. Brazell says:

Am I the only one who gets really depressed on Sunday nights seeing the “Friday Flikr Pool Finds” fron the previous week?

Probably.

19. Phydeaux says:

@Rask:
    Man there’s a lot of crap in this thread.

I like how people talk about the 360 lacking exclusives when they’ve been securing them left and right.

Let’s look at Rock Band 2, for example. Sure you can get it on Wii, but what about downloadable content. And a place to store it? And first person shooters can and should be accessible to the person who isn’t a game fanatic. Halo does that. What’d the Wii have? Red Steel? I liked the pachinko level, but the fact that I’m saying the word “pachinko” at all on an American site screams “niche”.

The Wii is the video game system for people who hate video games or don’t want to invest more than a few hours a week in them.