Want a free one-night movie rental from the Kiosk based Redbox Service? Just Enter this Code from Walgreens, WGREEN2, and a night of entertainment is a quick trip to your nearest supermarket/airport lounge/odd standalone.

Comments

1. Wendy Sloan says:

sweet, thanks! be reminded redbox would still require a credit card. also, where are the morning deals? my eye won’t stop twitching.

2. mbz32190 says:

I wonder if this code will only work on certain machines (ones at Walgreens). I remember a supermarket issued a promo code and I tried using it in a machine in another chain and it didn’t work

3. robdew2 says:

[www.walgreens.com]

says “at your local walgreens”

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@robdew2: Well of course they’re going to say that, even if it might work at other Redbox stores. They want you to walk into Walgreens, and walk by their displays of stuff that they think you absolutely must have. They’re hoping for the impulse buy because they don’t really make money off the Redbox kiosk.

• robdew2 says:

@pecan pi: sure, but this is information you should know before a big waste of time. It’s a detail that should have been in the original post, along with your asterisked “maybe”.

• GeekyRobotGirl says:

@pecan pi: It does only work at Walgreens locations. Tried the code at another kiosk and received the message that it wasn’t valid at this location.

4. conedude13 says:

so this might not work at your local shopping center (acme by my work for me), but if you go to the redbox website and register on there you will get an email EVERY MONDAY for a FREE RENTAL!!! This is what i do and this is literally the ONLY reason i go to the redbox is to get my free rental on.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@conedude13: I think they’re trying to increase the traffic flow for the beginning of the week. I personally don’t watch movies on Mondays to Thursdays, preferring to leave it to Friday or Saturday like most people. Does the coupon code only work for Monday?

• RandomHookup says:

@pecan pi: Yes, it’s a one day only code. Useful for Monday holidays, though.

Since it’s designed as a one-day service, they want to increase turns and lots of folks will go “well, it’s only a dollar…” and rent another and another ad infinitum.

Plus they highlight the new movies that are released every Tuesday.

5. MrEvil says:

My dad’s rented from a service similar to RedBox that put kiosks in a reigonal grocery chain. If it weren’t for the high up-front costs of the machines I’d say they might have a better business than Netflix.

Still, hard to beat Netflix streaming on your Xbox360.

• MrsLopsided says:

@MrEvil: My local RedBox machines always have lineups. My Walmart has 2 side-by-side and they still have a long queue. Blockbuster is hurting.

6. billy says:

This is not news. Do a search for “redbox coupon” and you’ll find an ever-changing list of coupon codes.

[www.insideredbox.com]

7. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Hoorah!

8. lalaland13 says:

I may have to switch to something like that. I need a kick in the ass to remind me to watch my movies-with Netflix, yes, I don’t have to go to the video store, which means there’s no real hurry for me to watch the movie, which means I keep the same damn movie for weeks. Or lose it, which is the current case. So now I’m going to have to pay $20 to replace it, sigh.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@lalaland13: I quit netflix because even though I love it, I don’t watch enough movies to justify using it. There are plenty of things I want to watch on DVD, but when all is said and done, I can either live without it, or see if it’s at Redbox. And I too had a problem with keeping a disc for weeks.

• lalaland13 says:

@pecan pi: Yup. I will think, “Oh, that looks!” then not watch it. I also have some TV shows on DVD that I own and am trying to get through. So yeah, I’m in the same boat as you.

9. morganlh85 says:

I loved Redbox till they charged me $25 for a movie that I definitely DID return — to a Walgreen’s location in fact! They refunded me a measly $15, and I told them that I hoped they enjoyed that $10 they took from me, because it was the last bit of money they’d ever see from me again.

Shame too, we loved Redbox and would have rented from the frequently, but their customer service is awful.

Heed this warning — use a credit card if you rent from Redbox in case they do the same to you!

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@morganlh85: You can only use either a debit or a credit, and I don’t understand why anyone would use a debit for Redbox. If you won’t do it on the internet, don’t do it at any freestanding kiosk.

10. robdew2 says:

Didn’t work at Wal-mart.

11. MrsLopsided says:

Save a dollar? Wa-hooo!

12. silentluciditi says:

If you go to the site you can just click on the ‘Get A Free Rental’ link and it’ll take you to a sign-up page for either the e-mail or SMS list. I use the SMS and every Monday (and some Wednesdays) I get a code entitling me to a free rental. They also encourage people to share the codes, so feel free to forward it to a friend.