BK’s gag gift $3.99 perfume that smells like a “flame broiled burger” is selling out all over NYC. Where did they get perfume that smells like flame-broiling? Hmmm… “What do ya think’s in the burgers?” [MSNBC]

Comments

1. ScottRose says:

If only Taco Bell would come out with a cologne I could finally arouse my wife’s passions..

2. Ash78 ain't got time to bleed says:

I used to regularly purchase Morningstar veggie burgers for quick meals at home. They smell like really greasy beef, flame-broiled, complete with grill marks.

3. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

From what I hear, BK actually pumps out additional odors into the air, on top of their regular cooking exhaust. They pump what is probably this same smell so those passing by get a wiff of flame broiled burgers.

Next time notice that it smells more like burgers outside most BKs than inside.

• ludwigk says:

@AlteredBeast: The BK near me (which I never go to) is completely out-odored by a P.F. Chang, which makes the entire block smell like stir-fried garlic. Great stuff. And in the morning, when the mexican roach coaches make the rounds, the whole place smells like grilled onions. That can be off-putting first thing in the morning.

What I don’t get about PF Chang is that the outside has the amazing garlic smell, but the few times we’ve been there, our food is always bland and never tastes a thing like that. One of these days, I’m going to drag the server outside and say “Smell that? I want that. I want food that tastes like that.”

• floraposte says:

@AlteredBeast: Yeah, I think they developed that scent from the leftover Left-Handed Whoppers.

4. samurailynn says:

I can imagine some great pranks with this stuff.

5. Nighthawke says:

I gotta say it…

WHERE’S THE BEEF!

6. Liam Kinkaid says:

“What do ya think’s in the burgers?”

Thanks, Barth.

7. Heath Doolin says:

DUhhhhhhI Heard That!

Sigh, I loved YCDTONT!

8. ross howard says:

I bought some of this stuff and IN NO WAY DOES IT SMELL LIKE A HAMBURGER.

I’d say it smells more like a crappy cologne from Wal-mart/K-mart/etc.

9. Parapraxis says:

Someone didn’t read Fast Food Nation….

Eric Schlosser’s book is a definite must read.

10. Dennis says:

Nice Barth Burger reference. I used to love “You Can’t Do That On Television”

11. BillyShears says:

Meg, I’ve never met you, but I <3 you for the nod to Barth’s Burgers.

12. HawkWolf says:

I remember an article in The Atlantic about flavor chemistry. The author was shown a vial of clear liquid. What did it taste like? A cheeseburger. With toppings.

dun dun dun?

BTW, who would wear burger perfume?

• HawkWolf says:

@HawkWolf: January 2001, “Why McDonald’s Fries Taste So Good”, by Eric Schlosser. Oh, that’s not a surprise. It’s probably from his book :P