Aetna Underpaid Students, Settles For $5 Million

If you’re a student and think Aetna underpaid the reimbursement for your out-of-network care, you may have some money coming to you. The insurer has settled for $5 million plus interest and penalties.

Aetna says the the miscalculations were the result of outdated data tables used by Aetna Student Health (also known as Chickering), and that average underpayment was about $25.

From Consumer Reports:

“We are very pleased that Aetna has agreed to refund $5 million to students who were shortchanged on their health-insurance claims,” said Chuck Bell, Consumers Union’s program director. “This national settlement also establishes strong consumer protections to ensure that students will be fairly reimbursed when they use out-of-network providers in the future.”

Aetna says it will give all affected individuals details on how to get reimbursed. If you think you’ve been affected, you can contact an Aetna customer service representative at 866-805-7643.

Aetna to pay $5 million to overcharged college students [Consumer Reports]

Comments

1. Mistrez_Mish says:

Yay! Good for Aetna for actually doing something. Please keep us up-to-date is United Way follows suit (*fingers crossed). I’m one of the many many many people that they screwed over in regards to using out-of-network providers.

2. gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

i believe that Chickering is the worst name possible.

3. Mistrez_Mish says:

Correction* Whoo boy…..
    I Meant UNITED HEATHCARE

I <3 United Way

4. Wit says:

Color me unsurprised. I had Aetna when I was a student and they were pretty awful to have to deal with. They kept going back and forth for whether I was covered for different tests and it was a bloody pain in the backside to get them to cover a specialist I needed. Yu know, just thinking about my time with Aetna, I’m considering calling my current health insurance company and telling them that I love them.

5. Christian Williams says:

Thieves! I had a bunch of out of network visits and incurred a bunch of fees. I still have not gotten a letter from Aetna. I call the number that is listed here a few days ago and Aetna said that if they determine I am owed money I will be getting a letter in 5-10 days.

But basically they are not able to tell you anything.

My reaction is that this is like letting the guy who lifted your wallet decide if there was any money in it, and if there was he’ll require you to fill out a form requesting your money back.

6. H3ion says:

We have Aetna now and they absolutely suck. It almost requires a threat of a lawsuit every time to get reimbursement and the in-network docs are starting to complain about the low reimbursement rates and the slow pay. Unfortunately, when you have a multi-state business, the only real alternatives are United Healthcare, which has an awful reputation and is not accepted by most of the local doctors, or BlueCross Blue Shield whose premiums are 30% higher than Aetna.

7. geoffhazel says:

How much did the lawyers make on this deal? 1 million? 2 million?

8. quizmasterchris says:

SINGLE…PAYER… HEALTHCARE… NOW.

The US private health insurance industry keeps showing us over and over again that they can’t be trusted with the only reason we pay them.

Corporate death penalty time. Chuck ‘em.