This Dairy-Free Soyatoo Soy Whip May Contain Traces Of Dairy

Stephen’s wife is trying to be a good vegan, one who doesn’t eat dairy, so naturally she was surprised that her “Dairy Free” Soyatoo Soy Whip warned that it might “contain traces of dairy.”

Stephen writes:

My wife recently made the leap to a vegan (animal-product-free) lifestyle. Its been an interesting two months so far, and I’ve been surprised at the variety of “regular” foods available in vegan form. She sent me to the store to grab some vegan whipped cream, which I figured was an impossible task.

Ceres Organics (under the label Soyatoo!) does offer Soy Whip, a whippable soy topping that serves as a substitute for whipped cream. The front of the package proudly labels it as “vegan” and “dairy-free”. I grabbed two and headed home. But when I looked at the package closely, I noticed a warning: “MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF MILK OR NUTS”. Um, what? Dairy-free … but “MAY CONTAIN MILK”? How can that be?

Sure, I understand the meaning of “traces”. But does Ceres understand the meaning of “vegan” or “dairy-free”?

The label is clearly an allergen warning, but you would think it would potentially contradict their dairy free claim.

Comments

1. absentmindedjwc says:

nothing really big, chances are that the plant that makes this product also makes a dairy and nut product, meaning they have to put that warning on the box.

It is the same reason why you will look at a bag of pretzels or something and see the warning “may contain nuts”. It most likely doesn’t, but as it is manufactured in the same building, they are forced by the FDA to disclose it.

• floraposte says:

@absentmindedjwc: Seconded. My guess is that that warning is on all of their products. It’s not so much that they’re likely to have dairy as that the warning is a cheap way to fend off lawsuits.

I believe that the Orthodox Union are pretty strict about the dairy moniker, so if you want backup reassurance you could make sure it’s food passed as OU, not OU-D.

• SabreDC says:

@absentmindedjwc: The warning labels that say “Manufactured in a facility that may also process nuts” is far more descriptive. I don’t know why more products don’t have *that* type of message. It’s better than freaking someone out by saying that something may contain nuts.

• Benny Gesserit says:

@SabreDC: I was about to post the same thing – the label on this box makes one wonder if there could be a healthy dollop of clotted cream and a handful of peanuts in the container.

• bonzombiekitty says:

@SabreDC: The problem with that is that many people would not make the connection that because something is made in the same facility as something that contains milk/nuts, then there may accidentally be milk/nuts in the product in question.

• quail says:

@SabreDC: In lawyer speak, saying it may contain nuts is better than saying manufactured in a facility that manufactures nuts.

Besides, productive plants will use the same food line to produce all kinds of things. A vat that held milk one day might hold soy the next. Etc. And you never know when something was missed and peanut contaminate or milk contaminate or whatnot gets into something.

This is really a non story. Just post the reason for the warning and move on…

• nonsane says:

@absentmindedjwc: I believe this is a chemical composition issue combined with poor wording. If the only concern is that there are animal products in there, i think you are okay.

For example, In the case of Margarine, it is processed and hydrogenated which changes it’s composition to be alike butter. Therefore even though margarine does not technically have milk ingredients it would need to bear the same warning, as a person with a lactose issues would need to know this could be a problem, Where canola oil alone would not affect them.

2. iammoses says:

I would put this on my labels to because someone could die if they had an allergy to milk or nuts. While the product might not have any milk or nuts I would not be able to ensure that something did not contaminate the product somewhere in the supply or distribution chain. It is better to be safe then dead or sued.

• mythago says:

@iammoses: If you can’t insure that your product is not contaminated, why are you selling it? For all you know it contains traces of other things people are allergic to, like wheat, or animal products. That’s “safe”. Slapping on a disclaimer because you don’t bother to inspect your manufacturing process is not “safe”.

• Corporate_guy says:

@mythago: If you reuse equipment across many products, it’s impossible to say there is no contamination. There most likely is, but the traces might not even be detectable if the product was tested. The only way for the product to be guaranteed dairy and milk free was if it was made in a factory where no dairy or nut products are ever used.

3. shepd says:

Perhaps it’s dairy-free according to religious sects that require either a dairy-free diet or dairy separation, but not necessarily always perfectly dairy-free enough to stop someone with an extreme dairy allergy from dying?

4. The_IT_Crone says:

Correct me if I’m wrong*, but aren’t warnings like that put on because the equipment and/or processing may allow traces of things to enter the food supply? Maybe peanuts or dairy are processed in the same building, and the amount of product in the AIR might provide enough of a trace to warn about it.

TLDR: “Traces” do not equal “ingredients.”

*Who am I kidding, this is the internet. If I’m wrong I’m sure to enjoy the roasted marshmallows at the OMGWTFBBQ.

• thegirls says:

@The_IT_Crone: As someone else mentioned, it’s probably because the product was processed in a facility that also processes products items that do contain dairy or nut products.

Some people have severe dairy, nut, gluten and other food allergies, so even trace amounts of these things can cause serious issues.

• ophmarketing says:

@The_IT_Crone: “When I go to a BBQ the vegans won’t even use the same grill as me because I’ve had meat on it in the past and their soy patties may get traces of animal on it!”

Those people need to lighten the f*ck up.

• GoVegan says:

@phmrktng: d th sm thng s th d f tng th bdy f n nml s grss t m nd dn’t wnt my fd nywhr nr t. m rsnbly sr f nvtd y vr nd tk crp n my grll y wldn’t t ff f t, strlzd by th ht r nt. Sm d. Nw knw tht thr r prbbly lts f thr thngs y dn’t wnt n yr fd s pls rspct r chcs s wll.

• Keter says:

@Th_T_Crn: RTFLL @ yr “MGWTFBBQ.”

5. Rene Murillo says:

This is nothing new to someone with food allergies. The statement in bold type on the front of food packaging is always contradicted in the ingredients list or allergen statement.
    This particular food might appeal to someone going dairy-free for ascthetic(sp?) reasons, but not for a person allergic to milk and its proteins.
    If I ignored this statement or felt that <10mPPM was sufficiently “milk-free”, and fed it to my milk-allergic child, I could expect him to develop a rash at the VERY LEAST.

• oneliketadow says:

@Rene Murillo: So if I were manufacturing a food product, I’d just put “May contain traces of milk, nuts, soy, peanuts, pretzels, rodents, dog fur, etc etc” just to keep someone from suing me. Judging from the labels I read, that seems to be what people are doing anyway.

6. Julia789 says:

So the factory packages milk products as well. Even if they flush the lines and containers between products, there is a chance a small amount will be passed on to the next product.
    It’s a just legal disclaimer.

If a vegan eats at a restaurant, their veggie burger will likely be cooked on the same grill as beef burgers, and will therefore contain “traces” of beef. They might use the same spatula to flip it.

For what it’s worth, there is no way to avoid animal products 100% as “traces” of animal products can and do sneak in from time to time. A trace could be a quarter of a droplet in thousands of gallons.

There are very few factories with equipment dedicated solely to vegan products. It costs hundreds of thousands of dollars for the equipment lines, so manufacturers are often forced to use it for many products to recoup the costs.

Even if you did find a factory whose products were on a completely vegan line, there is a chance something could get contaminated or let in the ingredients at the beginning of the process. A bug. A mouse. It happens. The wrong order shows up and chicken broth is added to soup instead of veggie broth…

Just take comfort in the fact that you’re following your heart and doing your best at what you feel is the right course of action.

7. laserjobs says:

Anyone who is dairy free should check out Go Dairy Free. Alisa Fleming is the foremost expert on the subject and not a milk basher either. She explains all the information about shared equipment, what products contain hidden dairy and even has a new book on the subject and dairy free product lists.

[www.godairyfree.org]

8. Microshock says:

Dairy Free? Who the hell does that unless they…don’t like dairy or are allergic to it?

• Sean Gamble says:

@Microshock: I agree… it is an aboslute mystery to me why anyone would go vegan(or for that matter join up with my least favorite group of scumbags PETA) other than for religious purposes or if they are alergic to proteins found in meat or dairy.

• thegirls says:

@Sn Gmbl: PT s nt th stndrd brr f nml rghts grps nd shldn’t b rfrncd s th thrty n vws f thrs n ths cmmnty.

Thr s n vrwhlmng mnt f scnc shwng tht tng mt sn’t ncssry ll tht hlthy fr prsn. Thr ls s nthng wrng wth hmn bng nt wntng t t th flsh f nthr nml.

• Sean Gamble says:

@thgrls: nvr sd thr ws prblm wth vgnsm r vgtrnsm. jst sd tht ts n dd d(t m). bth n th bss tht “Mrl” Vgn/vgtrns sy thy dnt lk tng thr lvng thngs, whn plnts r ls lvng rgnsms. nd tht ppl wh mk th swtch fr hlth, whl sng bnfts n chlstrl ∓ bdy ft lvls my fnd thm slvs lng frm hrmnl mblnc ( Mnny plnts ncldng SY prdc Phtstrgns), Dcrsd Thyrd fnctn, nd dfcncy f sm ntrnts.

Frthr mr wsnt syng PT s thrty n nml rghts r vgtrnsm…thy jst hppn t b th lrgst grp f th mssgdd ( ths s hw mst s t: nml wllfr = gd nml rghts = BD!). s thr y g.
          @tbnktz: ll thnk blng t ths grp

• Mirshaan says:

@Sean Gamble:

god this method of writing is annoying. I’d really be interested in reading what people have to say without having to decipher it… a sentence in this vowel-deprived text is one thing, but a long comment like this just gives me headaches…. am I the only one who finds this outrageously annoying???

• CyGuy says:

@thgrls: tr vgns r prtty cngrnt t PT n tht ny “nml” prdcts r shnnd. Whn y n lngr t hny bcs t nvlvs th nslvmnt f lvng crtrs (s hv bn tld by vgns) thn y r dng s fr thcl/mrl rsns nd nt bcs y wnt hlthr fds, r vn fds tht r hlthr fr th plnt – nt tht ths prdct s shppd frm Grmny whch prbbly gvs t s lrg crbn prntt s byng crm frm lcl dry.

Bt thn gn, s r frnd frm ShmWW! mght sy:

{vnc}t’s md n Grmny, nd y knw thy lwys mk gd stff.{/vnc}

• CyGuy says:

@CyGuy: sorry “printout” s/b “footprint”

• thegirls says:

@CyGuy: As a “true vegan”, I can say that just because PETA shares some of the same practices as I, it doesn’t mean they share the same core values and beliefs.

• Microshock says:

@thegirls:

Vegan means you dont eat any animal byproducts or animals! I didn’t talk about meat eating, i said not drinking milk or eating cheese.

• thegirls says:

@Microshock: I’m confused. I don’t think that I ever responded to anything you personally have said in this thread. So I’m not sure what you’re getting at.

• GoVegan says:

@thgrls: gr. PT s dcnt rgnztn bt d dsgr wth sm f wht thy d lk sng nd wmn t prmt vgtrn dts nd spprtng “cmpssnt” slghtr f nmls r thnzng nmls gvn t thm by shltr. thnk PT hs th rght d bt thy tnd t g ff crs frm tm t tm.

• ailema says:

@CyGuy: Yes, but unlike PETA many true vegans do not feel the need to make up ‘facts’ to support their lifestyle choices, nor spread fear to try to force that choice on others.

Mass honey production is really damaging to bees because they die while being shipped, and the lack of variety in their diet leads to sick bees. I still eat honey, because it is yummy, but the ethical argument not to is pretty sane.

• tbonekatz says:

@Sn Gmbl:
        PT=Ppl tn’ Tsty nmls

• dave23 says:

@Sean Gamble: Why is it OK if it is a religious but not if it is a personal choice? Isn’t it the same thing, really?

• Anonymous says:

@Microshock: I do that. It’s called being aware of the environment and animal welfare. Just because YOU don’t do it doesn’t mean you can question other peoples’ priorities. Stop being so closed-minded.

• Miguel Valdespino says:

@Microshock: Or they are lactose intolerant. I’m not allergic to dairy, but if I consume a significant portion of it I have discomfort, gas and diarrhea. Lactaid helps some, but I try to avoid dairy as much as possible. Of course I’m not in the category where “traces” will harm me.

9. ZekeSulastin says:

There are days I wish you would implement a The More You Know tag – oh, and get bloggers who shop for food at a supermarket instead of searching all the local organic farmers’ market, because then they might have actually seen the “Food allergen from processing equipment warnings” before and maybe have answered the question if not in a personal reply then in the actual post so that the first 10 comments wouldn’t BE the answer to the question.

If the bloggers DO deign to shop at a normal place like the rest of us, it’s comforting to know that they pay as much attention to the ingredients list as the average derided consumer here, instead focusing on the ‘shrink ray’ …

10. Bakkster_Man says:

Sounds like the plant also produces dairy and nut products. Not sure if that’s against vegan principles, but it is clear that milk is not an ingredient.

11. classic10 says:

This is not a big deal. What bugs me is that MANY imitation cheddar soy cheese contain a big percentage of casein. Casein is milk protein. I don’t think it can remotely be called dairy free.

Check trader joes sliced soy cheese alternative cheddar flavor for example.

• thegirls says:

@classic10: I agree – casein is like gluten, it’s in everything.

• joellevand says:

@classic10: 2nd this. I bought a nice package of “dairy-free” almond cheese at Whole Foods only to find casein *and* whey in the ingredients. Grr.

But this is not a big deal — it just means it was produced in the same plant as milk and nut products.

• James Borders says:

@joellevand: Soy cheese does not melt. plain and simple. casein is added to the recipe to create meltability.

Melty soy cheese = not vegan

• Bailen says:

@James Borders: Can they make casein in a lab without the use of animals?

Also a question for the vegans here, If they could make say, casein in a lab by just taking a pile of atoms and placing them together to make a 100% exact copy of it, but did not come from an animal, would that meet your standards to eat? Or what about if they could make an exact 100% copy of meat without any animal products involved, well other than as a blueprint, would that be something that would be vegan compatible, for the lack of a better term? I have always wondered about this and have never had a decent group of vegans to question about this.

• classic10 says:

@joellevand: Not really. It is in the ingredients list. No where in these packages you see “dairy free” or “vegan”. It says soy but it does contain milk ingredients.

• ailema says:

@classic10: Agreed. I couldn’t care less if something was produced in the same factory as _____, but casein in soy cheese seems counterproductive.

12. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

definitely seems like a trace product allergen warning. now if they would just start listing out what ‘natural flavors’ or ‘spices’ are individually and i’d never have to worry about accidental mango, chamomile or onion again.

13. yevarechecha says:

Like someone said above, if you really want dairy-free, check for the hechscher. I believe all the major kashrus organizations (OU, Star-K, Circle-K, Kof-K, CRC) note on the package whether it is dairy or not, right next to the certification symbol. D indicates dairy cholov stam and P is kosher l’Pesach, so you want to make sure it says Pareve somewhere on there, as that is neither meat nor dairy. Making something on the same equipment that processes dairy would be noted as a D on the package or render the whole thing treif.

• mythago says:

@yevarechecha: I’ve heard that only a small percentage of people who choose kosher products are actually kashrut-observant Jews; the rest are Muslims, vegetarians/vegans and people who are paranoid about food labels.

• oneandone says:

@yevarechecha: Dairy free, but not vegan. Parve foods may contain fish or eggs (which are classified as non-meat, non-dairy). Unlikely to be in a lot of things, but you never know where fish gelatin might show up.

Definitely true that using the dairy-processing equipment on the parve food would cause it all to be tossed (or labeled as dairy). No allowances for ‘trace contaminants’!

14. Anonymous says:

This is nothing new. People with food intolerances have to deal with this crap all the time. The difference is we actually get sick from this stuff, while vegans don’t actually notice unless someone tells them. That said, I would LOVE it if animal organizations started a big stink about this, because it’s a huge problem not knowing what goes into processed foods. We’ve been trying to get better food labeling for a long time. We only just got this particular type of labeling for the 8 major allergens in 2006.

15. rinse says:

Sounds like everyone except Stephen and Carey knows why the warning is there on the label. ;)

• oneandone says:

@rinse: I think it’s clear why the warning is there, but I don’t like how a lot of people are ok with the fact that the marketing claim, in big letters on the front (dairy free! vegan!) is contradicted by a factual statement on the back (may contain traces of milk). Yes, it’s just a legal disclaimer, but why shouldn’t we point out the absurdity?

Companies making bold claims in their marketing should either make sure they can back up those claims, or just not make them. Either your food is dairy free or it’s not. I know it’s just another example of ‘the fine print taketh away’ but it’s annoying and not customer friendly.

16. mcmunchkin says:

This link describes the regulations that went into effect in January 2006.
    [www.fda.gov]

Many people who are gluten-intolerant have apps on iphones, paper lists, or other similar tools that are updated often in order to inform ourselves about what is safe. I know these exist for vegetarians and vegans. It sucks to have to be so vigilant about this stuff. The laws don’t disclose enough at this point to rely on labels alone.

You can also download the law from this site, but I recommend reading the FAQ pdf first.
    [www.foodallergy.org]

17. Rosasharn says:

Clif bars have the same warning on them, for the reasons mentioned above.

18. Julia789 says:

My kid drinks soy milk and other soy products. If he drinks regular milk, he farts loudly for hours and it smells like death.

I know regular milk is supposed to be “healthy” for him, but it’s not “healthy” for an elementary school kid to have to keep his little friends at a 10 foot distance, either.

As pointed out in a couple of other posts, a lot of these products – their target market is not vegans but those who are lactose intolerant. For this market, a drop of regular milk left in the factory line amongst thousands of gallons of soy milk is not going to be a big deal.

• Rene Murillo says:

@Jl789: Wh tld y “rglr” cw’s mlk s hlthy fr bdy?
      Th dry ndstry wnts y t blv ths, s tht y by mr prdct. Cw’s mlk s fr bby cw’s, nd fr hmns, wll, thr r jst t mny thr dlcs srcs f Clcm, Vtmn D, nd Prtn, t sy tht dry mlk s “gd fr y”.

• MrEvil says:

@Rene Murillo: Could we stop with the dairy industry conspiracy talk? Not everyone is lactose intolerant and don’t suffer health problems as a result of milk consumption. I know one thing, Chocolate Milk is much healthier than a sugar-laden-caffeine overdosed Energy drink.

You forgot one other thing that milk does provide….water. Civilization has never had access to clean drinking water like we do today. Before advances in indoor plumbing water was very rarely consumed. Milk was drunk by children and when they got old enough they started drinking beer and wine because access to potable water was very limited.

• tweemo says:

@MrEvil: Before pasteurization something like 25% of food poisoning was caused by dairy; so milk definitely isn’t the answer to clean drinking water. Either has to be sterilized. Do you have any kind of source for your information?

• Julia789 says:

@Rene Murillo: I was simply trying to point out – as related to the original post – that not everyone who buys soy milk does so because of a deadly allergy or vegan lifestyle. Some people are simply lactose intolerant, or enjoy the taste of soy milk. I prefer soy milk myself, vanilla flavor especially.

I am fully aware of the health claim controversies and animal rights controversies surrounding cow’s milk, and appreciate your concerns. But those are for another forum – this forum being to discuss the allergy warning label and the intended target market for the particular soy drink/soy product, as it relates to said label.

I have chosen soy milk for my child for a number of reasons, including the fact that cow’s milk upsets his stomach. Therefore, a soy beverage or soy product that contains a miniscule trace amount of dairy would not concern our family.

19. lauy says:

Dairy-free living is a pain in the ass. I am not veg or vegan, but don’t eat dairy because of an allergy (I thought for years it was just lactose intolerance until my symptoms changed for the worse). Unfortunately the only way to truly be dairy-free is to learn to live without it and all its substitutes. It sucks because I LOVE dairy, but it’s just food so you learn to deal, as hard as it is.

• HogwartsAlum says:

@lauy:

I know it’s not on the same scale, but after a yearlong stint on Coumadin, for some reason I can’t eat broccoli now. And I LOVE broccoli, especially with cheese. Mmmm. Sometimes I try to eat it anyway, but then I get a horrible tummyache.

Unfortunately, it’s in almost every frozen veggie mix and lots of restaurant dishes. Hard to avoid.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

@HogwartsAlum: yeah, i have nerve damage to my stomach and can’t tolerate the entire broccoli and cabbage families. it makes eating chinese food a real pain. never thought i’d grow up to MISS broccoli

• sares14 says:

@HogwartsAlum: Sometimes being on medication can disrupt the environment of the microbes that live in your gut. Maybe taking activia for a few weeks will help things go back to normal?

20. sonneillon says:

It says milk or nuts, couldn’t it contain just nuts. It does have coconut oil. I imagine that is considered at least a trace amount of nuts.

21. GoVegan says:

I commend your wife for making a choice that helps herself, animals and the environment as she made the decision to no longer eat animal corpses or use the by products of their corpses. This labeling is required by the FDA if the factory that made that product also processes dairy products as well. If there is any dairy in that product, it should be minimal. Most food factories produce different products and that labeling is for people with allergies. Also, let her know it is next to impossible to not use animal products. Unfortunately many foods use the word “natural flavors” in their products which can mean almost anything. Often, these companies wont even tell you if their product is vegan or vegetarian if you call and will cite trademark secrets as an excuse. Also certain foods like marshmallows (gelatin) seem to be vegan but they aren’t. Tell her not to beat herself up over this. She is doing her part by reading labels and trying to avoid animal parts in her food but manufacturers have deceptive ways of sneaking these parts in. The best solution is to try and buy products from brands you can trust such as Amy’s that dont hide their ingredients. Also look at forums such as

[www.vegetablekillers.net]
    [www.veganoutreach.org]

will help her to learn more about her food and going vegan.

22. Anonymous says:

I keep a kosher kitchen which means that I do not eat milk and meat together and have separate dishes and even separate ovens and sinks for dairy and meat. That being said, someone who was deathly allergic to milk would probably not eat anything in my house because milk particles that settle from frying a cheese sandwich, could harm that person even though no religious stricture would be breached.
    A vegan can be as strict or as lenient as she chooses since it was her decision to begin with. It doesn’t sound like this product is made of milk but this company is not vegan if they produce diary products.

23. clarity says:

I would not rely on kashrus certifications for allergen guidance – Kashrus magazine a few years ago discussed that a very small amount of contaminant is allowed as long as the proper procedures are followed and still be certifiably kosher – however, for highly allergic people that small small trace could still be deadly. I think the story was a father with an allergic kid over a bag of marshmallows that triggered her, so he looked into the whole thing from a kosher perspective. Kosher is not enough for people with severe reactions.

24. oneswellfoop says:

Tht’s wht sh gts fr bng vgn. f y ht lf ngh t tk HG prtn f th gd t f t, kll yrslf nstd.

25. ScubaSteveKzoo says:

Fr vry nml y dn’t t, wll t thr.

Whl rspct smn’s cmmtmnt nd chc t g vgn r vn vgtrn, wll nvr ndrstnd t. nmls r jst t tsty fr m.

• Rosasharn says:

@ScubaSteveKzoo:

Your first sentence *really* demonstrates how much you respect veg*ns!

• Rosasharn says:

@ScubaSteveKzoo: @classic10:

I know! Every imitation cheese product at Meijer’s has casein in it. Who are they trying to target with it? Does casein not trigger reactions in people with milk allergies?

• VeiledThreats says:

@Rosasharn: People who are lactose intolerant but not allergic to the milk protein, only the sugar, eat soy cheese with casein. Lactose intolerance is far more common than full blown dairy allergies.

Not in response to the above mentioned poster but to the anti-vegetarians:
        To each his own. I won’t begrudge your meat eating if you’re so kind as to not mock my ethical and religious practices.

The OP: Eating things that come with dairy allergen warnings is usually accepted by the veg community as not eating animal products. In our factory food producing society, it’s hard to get something that hasn’t brushed up against something else and those with allergies appreciate the warning.

• dogmaratt says:

@ScubaSteveKzoo:

Yep. I don’t mind anyones eating habits, unless they think they are better than anyone else just becasue of what they eat.

• GoVegan says:

@ScubaSteveKzoo: Thats what is the problem with this country. We know that our meat based diet if terrible for us, the planet and animals but too many people refuse to even try vegan/vegetarian options because meat taste to good. This is almost as comical as seeing people fill up their SUV’s at the gas station and then complaining about high gas prices. If your taste buds are more important than the health of this planet your children and grandchildren will one day inherit, then so be it.

• howie_in_az says:

@ScubaSteveKzoo: Why do you feel the need to comment on someone’s beliefs? Are you that insecure? Nobody cares that you’re Captain Meat Eater and eat twenty raccoons a day. The OP had a question about how a supposedly dairy-free product could be dairy-free if the label said “contains traces of milk”, they didn’t ask for you to comment on their lifestyle.

• Consumerist-Moderator-Roz says:

@ScubaSteveKzoo: Keep it on topic. This is not a thread in which you need to state your everlasting love for meat, nor your lack of understanding or acceptance for others.

• Snowblind says:

@ScbStvKz:

nly t vgtrns.

• MrsLopsided says:

@ScbStvKz:

ddn’t clw my wy t th tp f th fd chn t t vgtbls.

26. Consumerist-Moderator-Roz says:

This is a general warning to everyone; I’m sure you may notice the many disemvoweled comments. Let’s keep the subject on topic. Pro- or anti-vegan sniping or proselytizing is neither desirable nor appropriate for this thread.

Keep the comment related to the article.

Thanks to those who reported problem comments, it’s truly appreciated.

27. Imaginary says:

In this case the word “may” usually means “does”. Whole Foods recently had to pull tons of chocolate off the shelves because their warnings said “may contain traces of milk”, come to find out all of the chocolate contained more than trace amounts. To someone like me that is dangerous, being lactose intolerant. If I see a package that says “may” I steer clear. Yes that means that I’ve had to clear some foods from my diet or be very picky about what I buy but it means that I know what’s in my food. Unfortunately the use of the words vegan or dairy-free isn’t regulated so the truth can’t be substantiated you just have to go by the ingredients list. Publix carries a brand of dairy free cheese that contains casein, and for those who don’t know casein is a milk derivative and therefor shouldn’t be consumed by those with allergies. Always remember to look at the ingredients list and know what you’re looking at.

28. feckingmorons says:

If you are paying for imported whipped topping because you feel like it you have more money than you know what to do with.

Can I borrow 20 bucks?

29. kathyl says:

I have to say that there’s another dicey portion of this label. “Use [i]soon[/i] after opening”? That’s a little vague, isn’t it? I mean, my “soon” might be two weeks or two days, they don’t know. How ’bout letting me know how long I *really* have after opening?

30. Kekaha says:

Snc ths hs trnd nt dry/vgn dscssn, qt frm nd rtcl n Tm bt vgns:

Vgtrns dn’t lv lngr, thy jst lk ldr.

31. goodywitch says:

I’m still waiting for the mass petition to eliminate “natural flavors” as an ingredient. FDA needs to crack down on this, which totally eliminates choices and the purpose of food labels. “Traces” is at least honest, even though I still won’t eat it (I have no idea whether or not they at least washed the machine prior to manufacturing, vs just running a new batch.)

I’d rather that instead of being b******, PETA should make the world safe for vegetarians. Like see which restaurants that serve meat are really veg friendly (separate pots/pans, or at least wash them in between) as opposed to pseudo-veg friendly, where the chefs will change the menu, but still sneak in broth or cook in the same pan–yea, I’ve caught restaurants lying to me, and I tip really well to try to prevent this. India has a very nice labeling system (green vs red) to clearly ID whether or not something is veg friendly, yet they can’t implement it here (mainly because of the dif types of veg). Maybe pics of eggs, glasses, and steaks to differentiate?

Until there’s a label system that gives more information to vegetarians, many companies will lose out on potential customers. OK, not THAT many customers, but really, how many people go for soy whipped cream? A label that states MAY contain dairy despite WASHING the machine will garner more trust than, MAY JUST TO COVER OUR BUTTS.

32. Skankingmike says:

I have a bad reaction (digestive) to both Dairy and Soy.

HORRAY for me.

I’d say stick with making the whip cream yourself with 100% soy milk maybe?

Not sure how one goes about making soy whip.

33. severn123 says:

Most Soy Milks are that way. If you look at the label for most brands of Soy Milk, even those without the allergen warning, most are marked Kosher – Dairy because they are made in processing plants that also process dairy products. You can’t ever be 100% sure that you won’t have any cross contamination so it’s a good thing to put the warning label there just in case.

Yet another example of Consumerist waving their arms around about how stupid companies are when the companies are actually being responsible. Good work guys!

34. MrFrankenstein says:

wldn’t tch mst S md sy-bsd prdcts wth tn ft pl.

t’s mstly GM ‘Frnknfd’ – gntclly mdfd prdct. prfr my DN t rmn ntchd by twkd fd tchnlgy xprmnttn.

Y hv t lk bynd jst ‘dry’ r ‘nn-dry’ – nd vd gzzlng ptntlly crcngnc DN-mttng mtrl s wll.

nlss y lk bng n f th ctzn lb rts wh dsn’t sm t ntc r cr, tht th S lds th wrld n trms f cncr rts.

35. MrEvil says:

If I’m not mistaken alot of these soy products are distributed through traditional dairy channels, it’s inevitable that soy milk or soy whipped topping will come into contact with animal products. The market is just to small and the processing and packaging equipment just too expensive to have a 100% non-dairy dairy substitute facility.

36. ngwoo says:

“My wife recently made the leap to a vegan (animal-product-free) lifestyle.”

Well there’s your problem.

37. wmualumnus says:

This is a vegan, dairy-free product. Smaller companies such as this have to share the food processing equipment with other manufacturers who are making non-vegan products. Sayatoo is not putting any dairy in their products. But, they cannot guarantee that a drop of milk is on the machine when they use it after another company has used the equipment. As a long-time vegan myself, I can it is impossible to be 100% “pure”. If we do not support vegan products such as this, there will not be a market for them.