626,000 people filed for unemployment benefits last week. The number of people on unemployment rose to 4.8 million, the highest since records started being kept. [AP]

Comments

1. nevets68 says:

Sigh.

2. Hedgy2136 says:

Whew, what a relief. Just yesterday, Nancy Pelosi said 500 million were losing their jobs every month. Things are looking up!

3. Shadowman615 says:

Delete the erroneous “verizon math” posts all you want, but they’re still in the RSS feed! We’re onto you!

4. zimzombie says:

Oh boy, I sure am glad I’m a recent college grad looking for full-time employment!

5. Blueskylaw says:

First-time claims for state unemployment insurance reached 626,000 in the week ended Jan. 31, up 35,000 from the prior week. And continuing claims, an indication of the difficulty in finding a replacement job, increased to a record 4.79 million, according to the Labor Department.

The claims data come a day before the government’s broader payrolls report for January. Some analysts expect a total of 525,000 jobs to have been shed last month as the unemployment rate climbed to 7.5%.

6. SarcasticDwarf says:

Wow, thanks for that frigging useless statistic guys. How about you give us something useful, like say the PERCENTAGE unemployed which would actually be helpful.

7. HIV 2 Elway says:

Glad I have some marketable skills and some fat government defense contracts.

8. wesrubix says:

come onnnn Obama’s New Deal!

9. Kitteridge says:

I was a little surprised to learn they didn’t start keeping those records until 1967.

10. Squeezer99 says:

thats odd, because nancy pelosi said we lost 500 million.

11. papahoth says:

I thought GWB said “the tax cuts are working?” Perhaps if we cut taxes more, that will cause me to find employment?

12. hornrimsylvia says:

I was wise enough to apply for unemployment when Bush was still president. Now someone give me a job. Those online telecommuting scams won’t even hire me. That’s how bad it is.