Worldwide Rebates Using Suspiciously Fragile Check System

Mail in rebates (MIRs) are the among the worst “deals” you can fall for, because any number of issues—most of them beyond your control—can render your supposed savings moot. Now a reader wonders whether Worldwide Rebates is deliberately employing what has to be the world’s least durable check mailing system to throw yet another obstacle in the difficult path to a successful rebate.

I think Worldwide Rebates is using a new trick on not getting a rebate to a person.

I received a rebate from them and it was basically two light weight postcards held together with a small round sticker. I took a picture which should explain it better:

If that sticker fails the two parts will come apart. Once it comes apart the actual rebate check will get separated in transit and then USPS will have no way of knowing who to send it to. It might get sent back to Worldwide Rebates who may or may not cut another one for you. I think it is pretty sneaky on their part.

They know there is a chance that it will get lost and they will probably not end up having to pay on it. They could have designed the mailing with two stickers one on top and one on bottom and it would have been much better.

They could have also made the check detachable, which would easily solve the lost address problem.

We don’t know if this was a unique exception, or the way Worldwide Rebates sends out checks now, so if anyone else has received a similar rebate check from them, please let us know either way. It’s possible that the check and address label were mechanically separated in some mysterious way after it left Worldwide Rebates, but considering the general tendency of rebate companies to thwart their customers, and of Worldwide Rebates in particular to play dirty, we have our suspicions.

(Thanks to Derek!)

Comments

1. Plates says:

I wonder if this violates USPS regulations.

• Corporate-Shill says:

@Plates:

I can’t find the specific code, but knowing the USPS this type of mailing will be addressed in the code.

• danheskett says:

@Corporate-Shill:

This mostly likely looks like it was supposed to be double card, the bottom flap opposite the tab (sticker), was probably supposed to be a fold, not open. That means the top piece would be a single wafer-tab style seal, which meets all USPS regulations.

See Quickservice Guide 201B -
        [pe.usps.com]

There is a diagram of what this mailing should be (folded self-mailer, fold on the bottom, single tab at the top).

The reason to do this is cost savings. With no envelope, and only 1 piece of paper, you can process about a million of these a day with very unsophisticated equipment.

• jeyeltee says:

I’ve gone through WWR before, and the check I received today (identical to these flimsy ones in question, isn’t typical of them. I’m curious as to why they’ve opted to mail out these poorly secured checks. There’s not even an endorsement line on the back.

2. Robert Jason Cervantes says:

I recently got a rebate by from this place. I believe it was in this format, but also was stuck on the bottom. It took a small effort to isolate the check, but no problems whatsoever. Just hated the charge for getting your rebate faster. It really sucks =

• usa_gatekeeper says:

@Robert Jason Cervantes: At least you and the OP received checks which can be deposited. I just received several “prepaid cards” as rebates, rather than paper checks. This I don’t like – give me back my paper rebate checks.

For example, cards say “Debit” on the face, but they tell you to use them as “Credit” cards at the retailer. Don’t use them at the gas pump – gotta go inside. If you use them for more than the loaded value, the retailer may not be able to handle a 2nd card, so be ready to use cash.

Actually, when I recently went to use the $40 card at a well known office supply retailer, they weren’t able to process it right, finally gave it back to me (the card reloaded itself ~10 days later) along with my ~$40 item (free!!), with apologies, a genuine smile and thanks for being patient. There ARE some good people in retail.

But I still prefer paper checks.

3. mayrc87 says:

I usually avoid buying stuff that offers mail in rebate. I’ve been burned before and learned the hard way.

• antisane says:

@mayrc87: Ditto.

The wife and I were shopping for new computer parts online this weekend and I told her “No” to any price that was “after rebate” simply because of the rebate hassle not being worth it.

• racermd says:

@mayrc87: I always look at the pre-rebate price, buy based on that, and skip the rebate rigamarole altogether. Much less stress.

I mean, if a company wants me to buy a product for a particular price but wants to do so via a rebate, why go through the effort of setting up a rebate system to begin with? Wouldn’t it be cheaper just to lower the price a bit?

4. bohemian says:

I quit buying things based on rebates. Just give me the sale price.

• henwy says:

@bohemian:

You end up missing out on a lot of savings that way. I <3 rebates. The corporations assume people will be stupid or lazy or just unprepared. That means that they often offer a much larger rebate discount than you would ever get on a normal sale price. I then get to capitalize on that.

It’s not like it’s all that labor intensive anyway. I photograph/photocopy everything before I send it in. Now, most of the large rebate companies have websites where you can look up the status of your rebate. Anytime I’ve had even the slightest problem, a quick phone call sorted it out within 5 minutes.

It’s gold.

5. mbgrabbe says:

Mail-in rebates are a complete scam.

From a consumer standpoint, this practice is deceptive, dishonest, and time-consuming. I say pay a little extra for the non-rebated item. Wouldn’t you rather pay what you need to pay and be done with it?

From a business perspective, yes, ‘price discrimination’ is an effective way of pumping up sales, but its borderline unethical. And they probably spend millions of dollars trying to figure out ways to increase their ‘breakage’ rate (they literally spend money to discover better ways to screw you). We’d all be better off if this money was re-routed to customer server or R&D.

Obama should make these illegal.

• antisane says:

@mbgrabbe: I think Obama has more important things to take care of than rebate scams….

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

@antisane: Obama can solve all of humanity’s ills. Barefisted and walking uphill to school in blizzards, both ways.

• acklenheights says:

@mbgrabbe:
      “Obama should make those illegal”

hahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahhaahhhahahahahahhahhahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahhaahhaahahhhaaaaaaaaa

• yagisencho says:

@mbgrabbe:

I can never tell if people are joking when they say that. Folks, write your congressional representatives and state attorney general when you have beefs like this one. The President might be willing to sign related legislation if/when it passes both the House of Representatives and Senate.

This has been your civically-retentive response for the day.

• madanthony says:

@mbgrabbe:

I personally love rebates. I’ve been keeping track of how much I’ve gotten back, and I’ve gotten over $25,000 worth.

Sure, I’ve had a few not come, and a few I needed to call or email to get, but overall I’ve gotten tons of stuff for free. I’ve even gotten rebates for more than the product has cost me.

If you don’t like rebates, fine. Don’t buy products that have them. But don’t make it illegal for other people who like them.

• henwy says:

@madanthony:

IAWTC

I think rebates are fantastic. The savings are almost always better than any flat sale price and the difference is more than worth the small additional effort. The reason most people have problems is because they’re lazy, forgetful, or unprepared. Of course, some are just unwilling to take the small amount of time out it takes to complete the rebate process. They’re welcome to pay more but from my perspective, it’s always been worth the time.

• eXo says:

@madanthony: to have saved over 25k worth you must have spent over a quarter of a million dollars. In which case, saving 25k is negated by the fact you blow so much cash int he first place. thats like saying “I got 10 bath and body lotions for free! It was buy 4 get 1 free… so I bought 50…. Thats a good deal… right?”

• madanthony says:

@exo:

If you look at the link, in my post, it’s to a copy of the excel spreadsheet that I track my rebates with. Many of those items were free after rebate, and many of them were resold for a profit. While I don’t have the purchase price on the spreadsheet, it’s pretty obvious that the rebate amounts are considerably more than 10% of the selling price of most of the products.

• OprahBabb says:

@mbgrabbe: Translation:

Rebates are a scam. From a customer’s standpoint-

This shit sucks. Why do I have to cut out all of these labels and send this shit off? Can’t they SEE I bought this from them? SURELY you can just refund me immediately.

From a business’ standpoint –

How can we figure out a way to offer the customer a price break, but not screw ourselves in the process? If they buy the item and apply for the rebate, then RETURN the item, we’re shit out of luck and an assload of money….

You know…currently working for a company who has a branch in the UK, we get an ASSLOAD of rebate questions (seemingly nonstop). I can certainly see how frustrating it is from a customer standpoint (I never apply for them myself…I’m a realist, not pessimist.) but in the companie’s defense, aside from the documents being lost in the post or an overwhelming response, there are always ways to refund the customer. Always.

6. GMFish says:

Unless you’re a masochist who loves aggravation, I cannot understand why anyone would subject themselves to wasting time and sanity redeeming a rebate.

• SacraBos says:

@GMFish: Not to mention the fact that by doing so you are giving yet another marketing company your name, address, possibly phone number, etc and subjecting yourself to more direct marketing. Sorry, here’s cash, give me the product at a reasonable price.

• DePaulBlueDemon says:

@GMFish:

I really couldn’t have said it better myself.

Rebates are the worst! What a waste of time.

• bduddy says:

@GMFish: Money?

• SabreDC says:

@GMFish: Time and sanity? If you lose that much time and sanity over cutting out a UPC, stuffing it into an envelope with a print out of a receipt, and addressing it… then I think you may have a bigger underlying problem.

I do rebates all the time. I’ve never once gotten burned. Maybe people have gotten burned in the past because they don’t follow all the instructions like circling the item on the receipt or circling the date and time of purchase.

I recently built a new computer with all NewEgg parts. The before rebates was over $800. After rebates, I paid closer to $600. And I didn’t get burned on any of them.

• Aladdyn says:

@SabreDC: yeah ive done about 6 rebates at various places and have gotten them all. you just have to follow directions and write legibly. Really not that hard. Of course im sure there have been instances of people truly getting ripped off but most of the time id bet its due to people not following instructions.

• dragonfire81 says:

@SabreDC: I’ve seen legit cases where a rebate was denied for no apparent reason. Each time I was able to call my company’s rebate department and they magically fixed it right away, but that should never happen to begin with.

• Cyberxion101 says:

@SabreDC: I don’t think the problem lies in initiating the rebate process, but rather it’s getting these folks to honor your rebate on which you’ll end up wasting your time and your sanity.

7. downwithmonstercable says:

I’ve been burned too many times on mail in rebates. If I see something that needs a rebate, I won’t buy it anymore. Unless it’s like staples where you just do it online. Haven’t had issues with that…yet…

8. ludwigk says:

This seems really strange to me. So the question is: How does this format save them money? Barring the somewhat conspiratorial “Lost Checks” theory, these things require more hand processing than a check printing machine that spits out envelopes with the tear-off sides, no?

I received a rebate once that was just a single post-card. Address on one side, check on the other. That would be half the work of this scheme. Maybe the rebate company just does really, really shoddy work?

• Tambar says:

@ludwigk:
      The postcard Rebate Check is what Rite Aid uses as well and since it can be used at Rite Aid like cash anyone could steal and endorse it at Rite Aid.

• danheskett says:

@ludwigk:

This is way less expensive than a pressure-seal based system. Those pressure based systems which produce a self-sealed check requires a heat-and-pressure sensitive self-gluing base stock, that’s heavier to support the check-stock (something called, for example #28 MOCR stock).

The piece that’s here can be produced extremely cheaply and in very high-speeds. Pressure seal also requires a speciality piece of equipment.

This was probably supposed to have a perforation at the bottom of the piece, where it was folded, but during processing it was “broken” through for some reason.

The major savings of the check postcard you describe is postage. The cost of mailing a postcard versus a letter or double-card is about half the price of a stamp. When you are processing thousands a day, it adds. (Especially on a $3.00 rebate). Every penny they can pinch of processing savings goes direct to bottom line.

9. Snarkysnake says:

Major security issue on the outside,too. “Rebate Enclosed”
    just fairly well screams “steal me!” to the meth- head low life scum rummaging through your mail box. They know that nobody checks the signatures on these things. The amount is usually so small that nobody frets over it and by the time the intended recipient realizes that it is missing,the damage is long done.

Rebates are an idea whose time has come and gone.

10. InThrees says:

For well over a decade I have outright refused to purchase items that had a mail in rebate associated with them, unless I liked the at-register price.

I’ve not missed any of the ‘deals’, and I haven’t lent the manufacturers money or had to argue with a rebate center because I hadn’t sent in quadruplicate photocopies of the weather report on the day I did my shopping or whatever.

11. AnxiousDemographic says:

Doesn’t anyone think rebates are a good idea? I’d like to hear from them.

All the previous comments are from people who think mailed rebates are scams and/or hassles. I completely agree and never buy based on an empty promise of a rebate. My expectation is that the sort of people who think rebates are a great idea are not the kind of people writing (or perhaps even reading) Consumerist.

• OggJoshua says:

@AnxiousDemographic: Such a person might say, “Thanks to lazy consumers, mail-in rebates mean that savvy consumers can enjoy discounts that the retailer or manufacturer would not otherwise be able to offer.”

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

@AnxiousDemographic: The Record Store I worked for loved rebates. Still do, probably. Any given week we’d have dozens of items on rebate, from New releases (which were always on rebate) to just crazy stuff that Marketing wanted to move. Problem was, a rebate on a CD was about 3 bucks. So, no. I didn’t think that was worth the trouble of sending it in.

Some of the more expensive box sets had rebates of $20 or more would have been though. Apparently this company did all its rebates in-house, and I seldom heard of people not receiving them. I was told that if there was an issue with a customer not receiving a rebate, the company was good about resolving it, though I cannot vouch for that first hand.

• CumaeanSibyl says:

@AnxiousDemographic: I’ve gotten some really good deals with rebates before. I also have a lot of time on my hands to get everything properly sorted.

• geoffhazel says:

@AnxiousDemographic: About 12 months ago, I was buying lots of items with rebates, and had great results. It’s a bit of a bother to make copies and such, but with a scanner it’s not all that bad.

My last rebate was 50.00 off a Viewsonic lcd monitor, and they were great at sending status emails. rebate came and was good. I’d do it again.

Seems like I’m not seeing as many “with rebate” offers as I used to .

• wwwhitney says:

@AnxiousDemographic:

I like mail-in rebates and have never had any problems with them (I’ve probably done ~20 in my life). I just always make sure I read and reread all of the instructions and follow them exactly though to be honest, I’ve never run into any that I felt were unreasonably difficult.

Rebates are successful for companies because people forget to mail them or screw up mailing them, so I figure I’ll take advantage of the system and actually get my money back.

12. scoosdad says:

First of all, rebate processing houses like Worldwide Rebates are working under contract to the original provider of the rebates. If you go to Worldwide Rebate’s site, they have a drop-down menu showing all the different companies they process rebates for. They get paid an amount per rebate processed, which covers their cost to handle the rebate and send out the checks, and provide an accounting back to the manufacturer. They don’t get a chunk of money given to them by the original manufacturer and are told, “hey, give this out, and whatever you can’t give out, you get to keep!”.

Mailing out a check that gets lost in the mail still costs the processing house money in postage (see how the photo says it went out First Class, not Bulk Mail). If the check is lost and the money is not claimed, it’s the original manufacturer who keeps the rebate money, not the rebate processor, but the postage still comes out of the costs incurred by the rebate processor as if the check did reach its intended recipient.

By sending out such a shoddy piece of mail, it’s possible that they’re trying to keep their costs down as low as possible so they maximize their take, but a rebate check issued but not delivered is money back into the pocket of the original manufacturer, not the rebate processor.

• humphrmi says:

@scoosdad: I’ve heard this argument before – that rebate processors don’t get a cut – and I’m not trying to be flippant but, how do you know this? Did you work for one? Is there some evidence that this is the case? I’d like to know.

• ludwigk says:

@humphrmi: If anything, I would believe that the rebate center would have a performance metric based on denied claims.

The parent company issuing the rebate knows that only about 25% of eligible rebates are redeemed. That is to say, 4 people buy a widget with a rebate, only one of them actually even sends it in.

So the profit maximizing behavior would be for the Parent company to rely on the rebate center to cut that % down further by being as strict as possible, and awarding bonuses based on minimizing “rebates issued”/”rebates received”.

Just my thoughts. I hate rebates since Amazon’s rebate center burned me and my GF on 2x$200 rebates on our cellphones a few years back. That’s the ONLY rebate that I’ve ever completed and submitted that wasn’t granted. Fuckers.

I’ll never do a high-value rebate again, and I’ll only buy something with a rebate if the actual price is still competitive before the rebate.

• danheskett says:

@humphrmi:

I don’t work for a rebate processor, but, it would make very little sense for a rebate processor to take a cut. For the vendor, the reason is because you don’t need to pay it. If you give the vendor a small cut, that cut is wasted spending. Other applications that require similiar work – administration, record keeping, mailing, follow-up – do not earn a cut.

For the service provider, it’s the same story. They aren’t doing anything that is value added, and working on a partial commission basis is really not a good way to go. Why risk it? Straight fee for service guarantees a steady cash flow. If you take a lump sum, what happens if the product becomes vastly popular and the rebate program goes nuts. You work harder but lose money? What provider would risk that!

• Corporate-Shill says:

@scoosdad:

Sounds semi-reasonable.

Oh, there might be a “take” for the processing company in some shape or form (a % of the total job size for example).

Neverless it does seem reasonable that the outsourced processing company would not profit greatly from failing to mail the checks.

13. Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

I did a rebate just recently — I NEVER do rebates because you never get them — on the new phone I bought, through Verizon. It was the phone I wanted anyway and I didn’t much care if I got the $50 rebate ($100 for two, we both got new phones). The rebate process was actually easy, clear, and came quickly and as promised.

The receipt came printed with ALL the rebate info — all I had to do was fill in my mailing address, address the envelope, and cut the UPC code off the box. (Bit of a pain, but I got to play with an X-acto knife!)

I confess I was rather pleasantly surprised when the rebate actually came in the mail!

• wwwhitney says:

@Eyebrows McGee:

I did this when I signed up for T-Mobile via Amazon. The rebate ended up MAKING me $50. Of course, I’ve been a T-Mobile customer ever since (7 years now I think…) so I suppose they came out ahead as well.

14. Anonymous says:

You know, if you’re check isn’t cashable (lost in the mail, or you missed the deadline to deposit) you can just get another one reissued… I’ve done it several times with rebate checks after missing the (void after XX/XX/XXXX) deadline.

15. Leto Versailes says:

I hate mail-in rebates/coupons/promos.

I just did one with Walmart and Glade. I was supposed to get 2 gift cards : 2 x 15$ cards. I just got 2 x 5$, even if I mailed all the paperwork correctly. That’s one of common ”mistakes” those companies use.

Even if I would have purchased those Glade candles anyway, I hate when an offered mail-in promotion rips off the consumer.

16. nbs2 says:

I got a rebate from Advance Auto Parts the other day. I needed wipers and they were having a buy/get one (after rebate) sale, so not getting the money was no loss.

I sent it, forgot about it, and suddenly it showed up several months later, with an apology from Advance about how they were changing they rebate syayems and and a 20% off coupon to compensate for a delay I hadn’t even thought about.

Chalk one up for the rebates. Although, I’m guessing WWR was the processor.

17. Mike Karklins-White says:

That’s not the worst one ever. The company that handles rebates and was having troubl (CPG) used to put your address and postage on the backside of the cheque and send it out that way.

18. Brine says:

I just bought a video card with a rebate from that company. Luckily I was going to buy it anyway and the rebate was just a nice surprise. I shall see how the rebate check comes to me.

19. Ihaveasmartpuppy says:

I just received a rebate for $150. It was a postcard check, with the amount there in full view. I’m very surprised it actually arrived.

20. radiochief says:

I gotta say, I’ve always gotten rebates. But this last one I did just sweetened the pot on what I needed and was prepared to pay.

I got the rebate, put it an overhead cubby in my computer armoire and promptly forgot about it. This was in the summer. I just found it about 6 weeks ago. I was going to deposit it, but the rebate checks are now only good for 90 days… Oops.

My fault totally but I can;t bear to throw it out, but it’s useless.

• danheskett says:

@radiochief:

You should try to deposit it. It most likely will get paid. That wording about “good for 90 days” has nothing to do with your or their bank. The UCC is pretty clear that checks are good for a minimum of 6 months, and after that based on “good faith”.

21. wardawg says:

The first, last, and only mail in rebate I’ve ever fallen for didn’t even make it out of my apartment, let alone in to the mail. I bought a wireless keyboard at Future Shop and got the mail in rebate slip to send in with my receipt for my $50 back, but with one small problem…

The MIR specifically stated it must be postmarked by the end of the promotion, which was that day. Last mail goes out at 5:00, the receipt was dated 4:45…

22. Anonymous says:

Almost as flimsy as Staples rebate checks, they just come as a regular post card, the check and all perforated in the middle, you just detach the bottom half with your address and deposit the other half of the post card. Always thought that their system could get lost easily…then again their rebate system is easy but still.

23. m1k3g says:

Yup. Rebates are a huuuuuge scam. Whenever I see these ‘deal’ sites with ads for rebates, I will never, ever, buy that crap again. I bought a Logitech 550 remote from Buy.com last year with a supposed $30 rebate. Did I ever get the check? – hell no.

24. savdavid says:

Rebates are a scam. Just give us the discount when we buy the product.

25. semajarab says:

this is why mail-in-rebate, I mean, Circuit City (and CompUSA went out of business. They literally kept screwing people until they had enough.

Sale item!! 8 gig flash drive $9.99**

** after 5 mail in rebates valued at 40.00 each
    ** must also be legally blind and a veteran
    ** must also be able to achieve the speed of light on thought alone
    ** must not actually want the rebates

26. Vjeszczi says:

I did 2 rebates from them on newegg products. Took quite a while to get them, but I did receive them both. Both of the items I purchased I was going to purchase anyway, regardless of the rebate, so I lost nothing from doing it.

27. ZManGT says:

I like rebates. All the rebates I have sent off have come back as promised.

The only one’s I dislike are when they say it’s a 100 dollar rebate and they send you a 100 dollar prepaid card. I would rather have a check but oh well.

28. Mr_Human says:

I cannot lie: I’ve broken the Consumerist’s golden rule of never buying an item because of a rebate. I have done this. Many, many times. And despite all the hate heaped on rebates here, I have always gotten the check. Always. It’s also not as much as a hassle as it used to be. I just did one where you apply for the rebate online and then print out a form you send with the upc code. Totally simple.

29. Bahnburner says:

Mail in rebates are a scam. Came here to say that.

30. rpertusio says:

I was actually IMPRESSED by WorldWideRebates. When your rebate is received, the scan a copy of all your submission (including UPCs, Address label of the envelope, forms, etc) and make it available to download via PDF.

Send everything at LEAST with ‘Delivery Confirmation’. (Note: some companies won’t accept Signature Confirmation.) I’ve never ‘lost’ 1 rebate by doing it this way.

- rp

31. mm16424 says:

I & my wife have applied for 6 rebates since June 2008, using World Wide Rebates – and with each rebate, my payment arrived via USPS in the same “least durable check mailing system” that Mr Walters details. I endorsed the checks, deposited them into me and my wife’s bank accoutns – end of story.

I find it laughable that Mr Walter’s finds that the USPS would allow any company to deply a mailing system that was delibertaly “less durable” – the notion is outrageous – as is Mr Walters purely speculative diatribe !

32. whuffo says:

If you saw the contracts that companies enter into with these third-party rebate processing houses you’d find that there is a guaranteed maximum redemption rate. This leads to many rebate applications being denied for spurious reasons – they don’t want to exceed the contracted redemption rate.

Another interesting thing that you’ll notice if you look at the rebate forms carefully is that the rebate redemption house is in a different state than the company offering the rebate – and a different state than the one you’re in. You’ll find that the rebate processor is in Minnesota (for example) – but there’s a different form for the Minnesota customers and it goes to a rebate firm in Arizona (for example). They cover themselves from possible legal problems this way – if you wanted to sue them you could only do it in a federal court and those courts won’t even hear claims for these small amounts.

The reason companies like rebates is that redemption rate. If they offer a $10 rebate and pay it out at a 40% redemption rate it’s only costing the company $4 per sale, not $10.

It’s also a great tool to move out old models to make room for the new ones; it’s much easier to offer a rebate than it would be to work out an arrangement with all their retailers to cut the price and then reimburse them for their loss in profit.

Are rebates good for consumers? Nope – I think they should be outlawed. There’s too much potential for fraud in the rebate system: Tell people that you’ll give them $50 back if they buy your product then don’t honor the rebate. This happens. A lot.

33. Anonymous says:

Mine WAS stolen! My husband mailed in rebate info and we received that same exact envelope today for a $50 rebate…only without the check! Someone tore off the back side and all that is left is the little tab that reads” tear here to redeem you check”. I called the post office and of course at Worldwide Rebate, the automated system (after 15 minutes) connected me to Customer service, which consisted of a recording that all representatives were busy and to call back, then it disconnects. How crazy!

34. dustime82 says:

The rebate checks they send to you are likely to get mixed with junk or other mail, especially if you have a small apartment type mail box.
    Also the flimsy cards are easy to open up and easy to steal.
    My check was lodged in side the pages of a magazine I subscribe to, and I am still amazed I found it and didn’t toss it as I do the usual advertising cards found there.
    Dustime82

35. dustime82 says:

This is a another comment different and more serious then the other I just left.
    This has to do with the Visa check card refund they offer you if you decide you want your rebate faster then usual (12wks) and they deduct a charge of three dollars ($3.00) for so doing and, promise you a Visa card within about two weeks.
    Trouble is I never got mine even after they sent a tracking number etc:, I went through the necessary contacts calling three telephone numbers and sending one email and was finally told I must gather all the information I had in my possession and mail it to a Miami Florida address and I should receive my rebate of $22.00 in about twelve weeks.
    I wrote the Company sponsoring the rebate program through Worldwide and was told in a replying email that worldwide would look into my complaint and be in touch with me. I have yet to hear a word.
    Aside from that, the Company sponsoring the rebate didn’t like my comment that I thought Worldwide was running a confusing system to take advantage of the consumer and I thought it was a deliberate scam.
    I believe they are working out of India and this also makes me suspicious, why not a company in America?.
    I hope this will make consumers more aware of what’s going on in the modern business world, it hasn’t changed from the cave days. Walk slowly and carry a big club.
    How I dislike Globalization, you can’t keep the criminals close by.
    dustime82

36. Jones says:

If Worldwide Rebates was a legitimate operation they would have a business address that was easily searchable. They do not, I just went though their rebate process and it took me $40 worth of my time to process a $10 rebate.
    I did it as an experiment. Last time
    Wish the world would just be honest. This guy has a name I can not pronounce.
    Jones