Barbie may have to move out of the dream house or whatever — sales are down 9% and Mattel is hurting. [Bizjournals]

Comments

1. Plates says:

I wonder how much of it is due to the quality Chinese made products they sell.

2. BrawlerBarbie says:

Nooooooooooooo!

My impressive resume is for naught! I blame Ken.

3. Ash78 ain't got time to bleed says:

They gambled with Presidential Barbie and lost, big time. Should have made a Michelle Obarbie instead.

4. logicalnoise says:

yeah but they eliminated the bratz dolls, so no good deed blah blah blah

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

@logicalnoise: They didn’t eliminate them, they sued for the rights.

You really think they’d win something like that and not turn around and make them themselves with a product THAT popular?

5. calquist says:

Well with Bratz now gone this quarter, maybe they will regain some?

6. JohnDeere says:

i blame hanna montana. if i have to open another one of those cheap hanna montana accessorie packs im gonna explode. they twisty tie every little thing in there like its worth stealing. its cheap cheap cheap plastic. but with a 4 year old spoiled princess i guess im just gonna have to deal with it.

7. sean98125 says:

Maybe Mattel would be doing better if they didn’t think that “Math is hard.”

8. savdavid says:

They are paying for their sins a bit for supporting China and saying it was their (Matell’s) fault for poisoning kids. I mean they couldn’t risk angering China and loosing those 10 cent an hour laborers.

9. MrsLopsided says:

It’s Beanie Baby deja-vu all over again. I suspect Matel is hurting because adult Barbie collectors are cutting back. What was once Barbie’s core market – children – is still there.

10. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I hear that Barbie is also trading in her pink Corvette for a Toyota Prius.

11. u1itn0w2day says:

I think the toy market has been partially carried by the collectors for a while now .Anything from Cabbage Patch dolls to Star Wars toys have made selling alot of toys more profitable than usual .Coolectors need spare cash and be willing to spend .

If toys were just priced/marketed for the kids and not collectors I think they would be in better shape .

12. Mark 2000 says:

I don’t understand why anyone would be hurting from a 10% sales reduction. At one point in the recent future selling this many of a product would be considered an increase in sales. Sell a jet or two and don’t have that gold toilet installed. It’s not that big a deal.

13. morganlh85 says:

That’s what they get for murdering Bratz! lolz