You Say Snuggie, I Say WTF Blanket

Though you may know and love and/or fear it as The Snuggie, it’s marketed some states north of Minnesoata and east of Kentucky as The WTF Blanket. Here is its ad [NSFW], which, according to unconfirmed outsider sources on non-attribution background, could be angling to snatch up one of the the last Super Bowl ad slots using a modified eBay snipe-bot. [via Bon Jour, Pee Wee]

Comments

1. MightyDwarf56 says:

This sounds like every thing I have read in the comments about this thing. I’m amazed I missed this video on youtube.

2. Carias says:

As if “Snuggie” isn’t a ridiculous enough name on its own…

3. ds143 says:

funny this article comes up today, my friend just bought a snuggie and excitedly drove all the way over to my place to show it to me.

4. Zeniq says:

Hilarity!

5. humphrmi says:

This video is funny… and I’m as snarky as the next guy, and I see jokes all over the Internets about the Snuggie. I’m sure it’s all just as hilarious as this video, but I really don’t see the point of making fun of a blanket.

I have no intention of buying one, but it’s just a blanket and it seems like right now to be Internet Cool and snarky in the right way, you have to be making fun of Snuggies.

Am I missing something?

6. sprocket79 says:

Amazingly the WTF blanket can give you herpes AND super herpes all while not getting laid. Well, I’m sold.

7. uberbucket says:

This thing is the tits! It’s waaay better than that over-sized robe I put on backwards.

8. geekgrrl77 says:

I always call the Snuggie the “Monk Robe” b/c everyone lounging around in it looks like a freakin’ monk.

Or they look like their at Hogwarts attending a game of Quiddich.

9. worksanddays says:

@humphrmi I think the reason it’s so funny is that it’s a totally useless invention. Someone got me a Snuggie for Christmas, because I’m always cold. The thing is, it’s a cross between a bathrobe and a blanket, and fails as both. If you wear it the way it’s shown in the ad, it doesn’t cover up your neck, so unless you’re sitting in a really overstuffed chair, your neck is cold. If you wear it like a bathrobe, you have to wrap the front parts around you, and it doesn’t have a belt or buttons, so you just have all this fabric bunched in front of you. Plus, you can’t walk around wearing it, because it trails on the floor, and falls off (due to the lack of buttons/belt/zipper). I think anyone would be better off with a really warm fleece bathrobe. And when I tried using the Snuggie on my bed as a blanket, when my heater broke, the sleeves bunched up and got in the way, making it fail as a blanket as well.

I think the reason people find the ad so funny (other than the usual dumb infomercial stuff) is that the product itself is unnecessary, since blankets and bathrobes already exist and serve their respective purposes better than the Snuggie. But maybe I’m just a frustrated Snuggie owner. Blanket + bathrobe = FAIL.

• stpauliegirl says:

@worksanddays: My Slanket covers up my neck adequately; there’s a bunch of extra fabric at the top above the sleeves. But I don’t want to get into any sort of WTF Blanket flamewar here. ;)

10. stpauliegirl says:

I have a Slanket and I am not ashamed to say that I love it. It’s pretty essential for a couch/computer potato in a northern state.

11. lannister80 says:

Can someone explain why a damn parody youtube video in on the front page? WTB better editors.

12. hahamaximus says:

First time I saw the ad here in Denver, I thought it was some kind of cult robe, trying to dress everyone for Armageddon, ala Heaven’s Gate….

13. pixiegirl1 says:

This clip basically said everything I thought the first time I saw the infomercial. It’s a $60 backwards robe but I guess if your going for that “I’m in a cult look” its worth it.

The part that scares me is how many people honestly think ugg blanket so hard. . . are you flipping serious?!

14. ShirtMac says:

I’m going to get one to use for Halloween next year….and dress as a Byzantine monk.

15. kaldurak says:

I guess the Snuggie was just marketed better. In my heart the Slanket > Snuggie.

16. guroth says:

When I first saw this commercial I thought “what a ripoff of the slanket”

I saw an above comment about the snuggie not having enough fabric for the neck; not a problem with my slanket.

17. closed_account says:

Does this guy sound like Sarah Haskins [consumerist.com] to anyone else?

18. Hoss says:

You know the economy is bad when people want something like this because their house is 60 degrees or below — and the only ad space that is being sold is to mail order houses.

BTW — whatever happened to Ron Popeil?

19. Jonathan Shelton says:

I’m just glad someone finally had the courage to say it. This thing is just a robe you wear backwards! People might have said it before, but this is the first I’ve heard someone say it. CNN has a news article about it calling the Snuggie a “marketing phenomenon”. I…I just wanted either my life or the entirety of human civilization to just end in that moment.

20. Eryn DeLille Cobb says:

I was just talking/ranting about this last night. It’s about time someone parodied it.

21. SRSco says:

Mock this now:

• HogwartsAlum says:

@SRSco:

Whoever mocks this should remember to make fun of the people nodding idiotically throughout the commercial.

And:
      *Lets you hear conversations from across the room!*

“God, John is such a dillhole…see, he’s wearing one of those eavesdropper things!”

or:

*someone sees John wearing the eavesdropper device and blasts an airhorn nearby*

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

@SRSco: It creeps me out that they are drinking out of the same glasses I own..

22. johnfrombrooklyn says:

The more bloggers make fun of the Snuggie, the more Snuggies sell. So I’m sure they’re laughing all the way to the bank. Just like Jessica Simpson who showed the world her “mom” jeans and now all the cougars are snapping them up.

23. Stephanie Makowski says:

oh, wee. whew.
    I almost shot peanut butter out of my nose on this one.

Snuggie=creepy

24. Bog says:

Why can’t you just turn up the heat and be comfortable? Oh yeah – you also bought one of those “Amish” space heaters.

25. ChainsawFacelift says:

That’s golden, “I can’t believe a black man is president.” Good find.

26. Stile4aly says:

They should add in that you’re a hood shy of looking like a klansman.

27. jrizos says:

Very creative and funny vid with super low cost of production. ++

28. Owen Yun says:

looks like something you would wear if you were in a secret cult.

29. Jenny Mauck DeBonte says:

My husband got me a snuggie and I love it. As to why not just turn up the heat? Well, it’s already set to 70 and he’s comfortable, why should I make him uncomfortable when a blanket with sleeves fixes the problem? A few bucks for a blanket or raising my heating bill even more for several months during the year. It’s more than paid for itself.

30. StreamOfConsciousness says:

I hate the snuggie commericals…they are creepy as hell.

31. Anonymous says:

I wom one of these at a Super Bowl party last night. It’s a blanket with 2 arm holes cut into it. Since it’s useful for sporting events, I may wear it to my daughters basketball game this weekend.

32. alexawesome says:

Er, Minnesota only has one A.

33. trumpetfalcon says:

Yeah. Robe worn backwards. Did this in the hospital for months and then started seeing the commercial. Wow.

34. Savoy Sison says:

I will send the snuggie pics of my family, I just ordered four from [getsnuggies.net] We are planning to go out around vegas with our snuggies on LOL