Every Google Result Is Malicious

Either Google has a bug or the entire internet is infected because no matter what you search for in Google right now it shows up with the warning, “This site may harm your computer.” Judging by the submissions to Digg, this probably started showing up around 9:46 eastern this morning. Nobody knows what’s going on yet, just that it’s very odd. UPDATE: And of 10:17 eastern, everything seems back to normal. You may recommence your early morning vanity searching. UPDATE: Human error. Someone typed in “/” by mistake. More info at StopBadware.com.

Comments

1. Barclay Hygaard says:

And here I thought the true nature of the internet had been reviled.

But seriously, I thought it was just me, good to know it’s happening to everyone.

• eternaluxe says:

@Barclay Hygaard: Often reviled, rarely revealed.

• layton59 says:

@Barclay Hygaard: I never experienced this glitch. However, GOOGLE forced their latest new version down my and my computer’s throat. GOOGLE never even asked if I wanted the new version. It really messed up my GOOGLE toolbar settings and icons. I finally removed the entire GOOGLE program and then downloaded the old version from GOOGLE. So far they have not forced the new version on me again. Time will tell. One guy said they “updated” him 4 times without permission. If GOOGLE wants to take over my computer, then they need to pay me it.

2. Coksibum says:

I tried on 4 different computers with 4 different operating systems, and 3 different browsers… all came to the same result. I’ve spent the last 45 minutes messing with this issue.

• Mr_Human says:

@Coksibum: Why?

• Coksibum says:

@Mr_Human: back @ Mr_Human: Just to verify it wasn’t a router issue from an internal network standpoint. I originally found this on my powerbook, so i tried my macbook. I was trying to figure out if it was a browser issue (FF, Safari, or IE) and i wanted to verify it wasn’t a virus my wife got on one of the computers.

Just call me thorough. :-)

• Andrew Crocker says:

@Coksibum: hah. posted one minute before it got better.

• Joe S Chmo says:

@Coksibum: Yes, why? yahoo was working fine. It was only Google. I briefly thought it was my computer but then I remembered I was using my Mac and not my HP so I knew it was them. I confirmed this by performing the same search in Yahoo.

• meske says:

@Coksibum: I switched to yahoo. In 30 seconds.

3. MacGyver says:

It appears to be fixed now. Crisis averted, move along, nothing to see here…

4. Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo says:

Oh it was a problem with google. I thought it was googlepreview, my favorite FF extension.

5. strider_mt2k says:

Also: Everybody poops.

6. Azndude51 says:

Thanks for reporting on this. I thought I was hallucinating for a second since I the problem came up then a few seconds I searched again and it was gone.

7. ceez says:

i noticed that too…I was like “what the crap! is there a new worm that’s infected every system in the web?!?!” I was about to panic thinking about the servers at work.

It all boils down to the economy I tell you…the economy!

• ninjatoddler says:

@ceez: Haven’t you seen Die Hard (the last one). It’s a firesale!

First they take down the economy. Then they put the Cards and Steelers in the finals. Finally, they hijack the all-seeing entity known as Google.

OH NOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Blueskylaw says:

Big brother only letting us to see what he wants us
    to see by implied threat of computer harm?

9. xb3ngx says:

and here i thought it was funny when the cal trans gov site had the warning. thanks for ruining the fun!

10. zenpoet says:

I am not goint to lie, I started stomping around the house looking for my wife this morning to see what kind of crap she had infected my computers with. I was happy to see it was a mistake.

I knew it couldn’t have been my pr0n sites, because I trust those guys.

11. RodAox says:

yeah… I removed a couple things from my searches before realizing google was messing up…. now I have absolutely no idea how to get those things back….

12. Meathamper says:

Holy crap… I was one of the first to post this at 9:36!

[techlife.scriptful.com]

[digg.com]

OK, I’ll stop whoring now.

13. Julian Jares says:

Only happened with google.com though, I checked with a couple of friends who have they’re country specific googles (google.com.ar, etc) and they didn’t seem to be affected.

14. ojzitro says:

I wandered over to whitehouse.gov to see if that malicious also, it was, so I figured Google had some bugs.

15. Yamil Nakhleh says:

I Google “google” and they had malicious content…

16. jellybean08 says:

I’m just glad it was google and not another bloody virus on my bloody pc.now i can stop panicking and stop chill with the scanners :)

17. forgottenpassword says:

Bajillions across the net all freaked out together & ran to various sites to ask WTF was going on. I went to reddit to post ask.

18. johnfrombrooklyn says:

It couldn’t be Google’s fault. After all they “do no evil”

19. MsAnthropy says:

This was pissing me off this morning because on some sites Google wouldn’t even allow me to ignore their “helpful” warning and copy/paste the url into my browser – instead of the “warning! This site is bad and nasty, visit at your own peril!” page, I was getting a message telling me I was denied access to the site altogether. Only a minor inconvenience, as I could just type in the url myself, but still…

When I was checking to see if Google thought EVERY site was malicious, the only search result that didn’t come up with that warning was for the IRS website. Hah!

20. LightningSt says:

Wow, I thought it was just me

21. shortwave8669 says:

seems to be fixed now

22. Joanne Michele Stocker says:

And here I thought it was because I was using someone else’s wifi to get around my work firewall.

23. tatublu says:

yeah i was experiancing this too this morningi thought it was a glitch, bad google bad

24. TBM-Fan says:

Luckily i won’t use google that much anymore :D

25. Anonymous says:

Use Yahoo for your searches. You’ll usually get the site you are looking for — or a more reliable site if you don’t know of a specific site to look for — higher on the results on Yahoo than on Google.

26. thedreamingtree says:

I was getting Katherine Albrect’s newsletter (the privacy author/activist who is anti-spychip consumer card) and she recommended ixquick.com as a private search engine that doesn’t gather info on people, so that’s an option. Scroogle.org is another one.

27. chatterboxwriting says:

I did a search on “Hawaii vacations” around then and the top ten results got that message about possibly being harmful. Now it seems to be back to normal.

28. Barbara Merry says:

like everyone else i noticed this too and figured google would figure it out pretty quickly. how long did it take them? who did this? some disgrunted google employee? malicious hacker poking fun at the national/international obsession with googling as a fun time activity?

29. Anonymous says:

Wait, is anyone else besides me STILL having this problem?

I’m having the same issue described here, and have been since yesterday. Only it’s not just Google, it’s Yahoo search as well. On multiple web browsers.

Help!

30. Maurs says:

I got a paypal shipping email this morning between those hours that Gmail flagged as “possibly not from who it says it is” i.e. phishing. It’s not though, so maybe the same problem.

31. ninjatoddler says:

I think Google has a question for you – “What were you guys doing up so early on Saturday morning? You were supposed to be catching up on sleep after a late Friday night full of booze!”

32. amsd2dth says:

When sites like government-based ones, etc., started giving that warning, I figured it had to be a bug and just gave up. Glad it’s fixed now.

33. Meathamper says:

@Coksibum: You’re obviously an overachiver.