Say Goodbye To KB Toys And Hello To Their Huge Pile Of Garbage

KB Toys is leaving us forever, but their mess can still be seen on the streets of Brooklyn, says reader Dave.

They really don’t care about the people around them once they’re going out of business.
Picture speaks a thousand words, so I have little left to say. 86th St and 4th Ave, Brooklyn NY

Hey, it looks like you can make a big wheel if you hurry over there.

Comments

1. ideagirl says:

now that’s classy.

2. Chongo says:

Whatever entity is left should be fined for this.

• Con Seannery blames Facebook for the recession says:

@Chongo: You can’t really fine NOTHING.

• Hyman Decent says:

@Chongo, Con Seannery blames Facebook for the recession: In NYC, when a summons for litter or garbage on a sidewalk is issued, the owner of the property in front of which the litter or garbage is found gets the summons and is responsible for paying the fine. (Under the terms of the lease, though, the owner may make the tenant responsible for cleaning the sidewalk and paying the fine, but if the tenant doesn’t pay it, the owner must.)

3. Froggmann says:

Am I alone in thinking they may have just put unsold merchandise on the sidewalk for people to scavenge just to have said people destroy it?

4. Ash78 ain't got time to bleed says:

I had to squint to realize you weren’t showing the inside of the K-Mart toy department.

5. elemeno says:

My old neighborhood.. not the classiest of folks on that street.

6. nicemarmot617 says:

I would say it’s awful, but really I see businesses messily dump their garbage on the street all the time in NYC. I used to have to cross the street on the opposite side on my way to work because the FedEx store there would just leave their open garbage bags out on the sidewalks and all the garbage would fall out.

• Hyman Decent says:

@nicemarmot617: If you see a business that does this regularly, call 311 and complain. Of course, with the current fiscal situation, it’s not likely that the Sanitation Department will send someone to check it out.

7. Keirmeister says:

If you notice the plastic bags, I can almost guarantee you that this was done by random scavengers. I’ve seen this happen everywhere. However K*B should have put more thought into securing their garbage so people wouldn’t do this.

• stevejust says:

@Keirmeister: I don’t concurr. I would hate for whatever might have been useable to wind up in a locked dumpster only to go straight to a lanfill. I presume at least some of this stuff wound up being useable and taken home to less-fortunate kids. Either that or crazy homeless people rifled through it. But I hate the fact that so many people, businesses, especially grocery stores, throw away things all the time that would be better donated to goodwill or salvation army.

• silver-bolt says:

@Keirmeister: MOre thought? Like hiring guard dogs to watch over it?

8. Saboth says:

I’ve never been to NY, and have no desire to, as in my mind, that picture is what NY looks like on a daily basis.

9. Canino says:

I don’t think I would expect laid-off employees to leave their locations all neat and tidy after their last day.

10. Samantha Brown says:

I used to live a block from there! That was my ‘hood!!

11. Joshua Albers says:

The KB Toys in Jackson Heights did not leave a mess; I wonder if it’s just a Brooklyn thing?

12. Outrun1986 says:

KB is gone here, but I can’t imagine them just throwing the unsold merchandise into the trash. Anything good that goes in the trash probably comes home with the employees, especially during liquidation. The liquidators probably take the unsold stuff and it and stash it in a warehouse to be brought to the next liquidation sale that they run. Or they ship it to another store that is still open, I am betting there are still a couple KB’s that are still open.

13. miss_roxxan says:

well, this is a block from my house. now i know which subway exit NOT to take tonight…ugh.

14. FuryOfFirestorm says:

KB should have given the leftover inventory to Goodwill or Toys For Tots. At least then the toys would have not gone to waste and whoever donated it could get a huge tax break in return! Such a shame…

15. Maulleigh says:

Oh man! It was probably the demolition and removal crew that made the big mess.

16. Indyken says:

Just goes to prove humans are inherently just as dirty as the flying rats commonly known as pigeons.

17. kaldurak says:

My local KB was quite thorough in cleaning out their store. Not only did they sell every item off the shelves in their final days – they allowed the rest of the mall stores to come in an scavenge shelves and hooks. They had very little to clear out to the dumpster when the gate finally closed for the final time.

18. tripnman says:

This absolutely looks like the the INSIDE of the KB Toys at Sunrise Mall (Citrus Heights, CA) that we ventured into pre-holiday. Best deal seen – they had a bin of deflated playground balls labeled as rubber hats. Made Mrs. Tripnman giggle uncontrollably on our way out the door. Little trip found one under the tree. :)

19. Madge Gristle says:

Those pictures remind me of the way every KB Toys I’d ever been to looked on the inside. Always a mess, always run by inept kids. I could never set foot inside a KB, it made my OCD and anxiety get all crazy!

20. meechybee says:

You would think that with jobs so hard to find that the clean-up crews for KB and the movers for CitiHabitats would be a little more conscience.

I can’t wait to see the mess that CircuitCity leaves behind…

21. meechybee says:

(sorry, conscientious)

22. ludwigk says:

This could have been left over return product that was destined to be scrapped, but was never handled due to the closings. Or, it could also be the aftermath of some scavenger activity.

If the KB folks actually left it that way, that’s quite appalling. Of course, who do you yell at when the corporation is already going under?

23. savdavid says:

Wow, that is a big f### u to the world statement. Good thing they ARE going out of business.

24. fatetwister64 says:

That’s a waste of good toilet paper! C’mon couldn’t an employee have at least stolen that.

25. Dansc29625 says:

Sound like a littering violation.

26. oneliketadow says:

I watch too much TV, but I thought this was what all of NYC always looked like?

27. LadyRoseMich says:

There’s an american flag laying on the ground in all that mess. What a statement that makes.

28. DrGirlfriend says:

If they made an adult-size big wheel, I would totally ride it.

29. Anonymous says:

I work for the NYC Dept of Sanitation and if I came across this, oh, the summonses I would write…

30. Anonymous says:

I can’t wait to what circuit city is going to throw out