Teacher Sells Ads On Tests To Cover Printing Costs

Left to fend for himself after budget cuts, His tests cost over $500 a year to print, but this year he only got $316, one calculus teacher resorted to selling ads on quizzes and tests to cover his printing costs. $10 for quizzes, $20 for tests, and $30 for a final.

After a local newspaper featured his story, the offers rolled in and he sold out his semester. Most of the ads are positive messages bought by parents, while others are from local businesses.

While the story is charming and plucky, it does raise the concern that other schools and teachers might get inspired and start renting out space to more sophisticated clients, like McDonald’s or Coke.

“The advertisers are paying for something, and it’s access to kids,” said Robert Weissman, managing director of Commercial Alert, a non-prof that combats commercialization in the classroom.

But if the teachers keep the advertising local and in the style of the school yearbook, is it really so bad?

Ads on tests add up for teacher [USAToday] (Thanks to Joanne!)

Comments

1. Ash78 ain't got time to bleed says:

Sounds like the yearbook and scoreboard and school paper. I have no objections to this, provided they stay in a low-key space on the page.

• CupcakeKarate says:

@The Name’s Ash78, Housewares: Agreed. And the nice thing is, because of the small scale, the instructor can monitor the content of the ads. Beautiful solution to an ugly problem.

• karmaghost says:

@The Name’s Ash78, Housewares: I think the real question here is “why should this teacher need to do this in the first place?” As long as he’s not being wasteful, I don’t understand why he should have to pull from his own pocketbook to pay for printing costs.

I think this is a great solution on the teacher’s part, but I’m saddened that he had to come up with it in the first place.

• goodpete says:

@LindsayC: doctoral hilarity ensues: Indeed, monitoring is important, otherwise you might get ads like this:

“Brought to you by the letter ‘C’, which also happens to be the answer to 4, 7, 8, 10, and 12″

or

“Brought to you by ‘Jenny is a cheating b*@$#%’”

• smythe says:

@The Name’s Ash78, Housewares:
      I completely disagree… It’s not the fact that there are advertisements being printed on the test. It’s that the teachers are spending their time looking for advertisers when they should be teaching. Seriously our kids scores are dropping vs the rest of the world, and for a country that is moving from manufacturing and toward “information/technology” thats going to be a big problem fast.

• Xkeeper says:

@smythe:

There’s nothing they can do; it’s either look for some way to make money back to cover the costs, or lose money when teaching.

Teaching is often a job they take because they love doing it; forcing them to pay out-of-pocket is a great way to lose them, and with how teacher salaries and job conditions have been lately, it’s important to retain every single one.

Personally, I’m glad that they could come up with this solution; as long as it’s local and non-intrusive like the picture above, I’d prefer to see this spring up everywhere as a way to increase teacher wages. (While having a across-the-board raise in wages would be much better, good f’cking luck getting that out of the US lately…)

As far as I can tell, it really does look like a good idea. I just hope it doesn’t decay into something worse.

• Sasselhoff says:

@smythe: Yeah, our kids scores are dropping…thats because teachers are having to come up with crap like this in order to simply GIVE THE CHILDREN A TEST!!!

The reason children are failing is because we have made a high school diploma into something that is entitled. In what seems like ancient history to me (all of 10 years ago) students actually had to EARN their diploma…but oh, jeeze, we can’ fail that kid, he might get upset or offended!

And “no kid left behind” means even if the kid couldn’t care less and will not do any work, he’s still got to somehow be passed ahead. My mom deals with 175 students–which in itself is bullcrap–and about 100 of them can’t do simple math (as in “what is negative 54 divided by negative 6″…in seventh grade!!!).

Whos fault is that, when the teachers are having to result in paying out of their own pockets (and golly-gee, techers just get paid SO MUCH) just to administer a test? My mom just dropped $1500 on a computer driven system that will grade her classes homework and quizes for her…and that is just so she only has to work 12 hour days instead of 18 hour days (and I’m not exagerating in the slightest…you try grading 175 homeworks a day, plus quizes, plus tests). Should she have had to pay for that out of her meager check, just so she can get a good nights sleep? And after all that effort and money, can she force the kids to care when they know the system will just pass them on even if they don’t do anything?

Sorry to blow up there, but this really touched a nerve.

• MrBlastotron says:

@smythe: Your accusation that the teacher is “looking for advertisers when they should be teaching” is preposterous. The article clearly states that there was a story run about his scenario in the local paper and magazine. The fact that he was interviewed for the local paper in no way represents his inability to teach, or his improper use of time at school to try and raise money to pay for necessities that should have been provided. Of course, he could just be a crumby teacher anyway, but that’s hardly the issue at hand. Our kids scores are dropping for a number of reasons, and I hardly think that one teachers ingenuity and solution making skills are among them.

• Anonymous says:

@smythe: Do you really think that spending time looking for advertisers will make test scores drop? Some teachers spend hours outside of class preparing for and grading class assignments. The little time it takes to do this will have no ill effect.

It is more of a concern that the teachers do not receive enough allowance to cover the printing cost. Many teachers (such as English) use a significantly larger amount of paper so they can teach their students efficiently. I know teachers who spend hundreds (even into the thousands) covering their own classroom supplies.

• mariospants says:

@The Name’s Ash78, Housewares: While I’m as dead set against bringing commerce into the school as much as I am against bringing religion there, I probably would have loved to see “keep it up, you’re almost done!” written at the bottom of some of my exam papers.

2. Yebo says:

Brilliant. Keep it low profile and preferably only allow local businesses, parents.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

@Skankingmike: Hear hear. When the ad money becomes something to take for granted, just like every other short-sighted quick fix for cash, they’ll be scrambling for more.

The fundamental problem isn’t lack of money, it’s lack of priorities. 700 billion for bank bailouts… imagine what the educational system could do with that money (properly managed of course instead of a feeding frenzy)

• HIV 2 Elway says:

@Applekid: Ah the, “throw more money at it,” solution.

I like in KC where we have 3 predominate school systems: Johnson County, KS (kick ass), Missouri Catholic schools (kick ass), Kansas City public school (unaccredited pieces of shit). My numbers are off but the order of magnitudes are right, the average spending per student are:

Catholic schools – $6000 per kid
        Kansas side – $8000 per kid
        Kansas City public schools – $15,000 per kid

You can throw money at schools all day long but until parents actually give a damn about their kids education, its just more money down the drain.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

Ah the, “throw more money at it,” solution.

@HIV 2 Elway Resurrected: The guy is selling ad space so he can afford to print tests and quizzes. I’m pretty sure giving teachers more money to print copies would solve that problem.

• Anonymous says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: You could try reading the article. It clearly states that budget cuts are forcing teachers to turn to alternative means of funding. It’s actually admirable that the school district chose to cut costs and reduce waste rather than fire teachers.

• TheUncleBob says:

@Yebo: So… a government institution limiting free speech? I see a lawsuit in the works by the cranky old man across from the school who wants to advertise “You dang kids stay off my lawn!” and is rejected because he’s not a parent.

• Pylon83 says:

@TheUncleBob:
        First Amendment probably wouldn’t apply. The school hasn’t really created any kind of “public forum” where any advertiser has a right to say whatever they want to say. One could easily argue that the school has at best created a limited public forum where they can limit the scope of the speech that they choose to allow, or the people/places from whom they choose to accept ads.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@Yebo: I don’t know. I don’t want to be the kid who opens up a calculus test to find “Pass your test, or else you won’t get that PS3 for Christmas. – Mom and Dad”

3. Kishi says:

Will it work? I don’t know if I want to be pulling in to a gas station and suddenly get flashbacks to my calculus final.

• syncpulse says:

@Kishi:

I had the same thought. Context is important in advertising, A hated pop quiz is not something i want someone to associate with my product. It would be like putting adds on the ceiling of the dentists office so you have something to read while they are drilling.

4. varro says:

Yes, your typical high-school student spends thousands of dollars each year on structural engineering services.

Ash 78′s right – our high school had ads everywhere – I sold them for the school paper, the yearbook sold them, scoreboard, sports and musical programs…

Schools just can’t win. Old farts complain about taxes, taxes, taxes, and something like this will make other people complain about commercialism.

• kathyl says:

@varro: You know what’s sad? I think the same people who complain about the taxes would also complain about the commercialism in the schools. I think those people think that money will magically fall from the sky to educate our current and future generations of children.

• fatcop says:

@kathyl: “Who exactly do they think will be the doctors caring for them as they grow older? We’ll have to import them if we hobble the schools any more than they are now.”

You haven’t been to a hospital lately have you?

Too late.

Mujibar: I am not knowing what you are talking about. Would you be liking a spoon-straw with your angioplasti?

5. Git Em SteveDave loves this guy->★ says:

positive message from parents? Such as, “If you don’t pass this test……”?

• Rachacha says:

@Git Em SteveDave loves this guy->★: The positive message seems like it would be detremental to the child. Imaging yourself sitting down for your calculus final and at the bottom you see “We love you SteveDave, Love Mom, Dad, Sis & Fluffy the dog”. You finish the test and you get taken out back and get the snot beat out of you for being a wuss because your mom sends you love notes on your calc test (or from the smarter kids in the class who realize that without your parent’s assistance there would be no calc test because the school could not afford to print the exam!)…damned if you do, and damned if you don’t!

6. Jakuub says:

how long until some enterprising group of students/parents/school administrators desperate for better results buys ad space for formulas/hints that they prepare ahead of time for the test?

• juri squared says:

@Jakuub: That’s exactly what I thought. I’m guessing the teacher won’t allow it, but it would be clever!

• DerangedRoleModel says:

@Jakuub: I’m pretty certain that professor would screen it beforehand.

• J.Heck says:

@Jakuub: I can totally see a professor accepting the ad, and then defacing it so it says “NICE TRY! BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME!” when it comes time for test day. The looks on those students’ faces would be priceless.

• muchenik says:

@citnos: Well an enterprising teacher would just print those ads on tests that have no bearing on those answers.

“what does it mean D is right for #2, it is a true or false.”

7. i_love_life says:

I will now start selling ad space on my papers that I hand in to my professors that cost me 10 cents to print. $300 dollars please.

• SpruceStreetPhil - in a new Pine flavor says:

@i_love_life: In all seriousness, this sounds like it might go over with teacher specific suppliers, store, et cetera. If only we could get away with it.

“Billy, could you please explain why there’s a water mark of texas with an i in it in the background of all your pages for your paper on the work of Sir Ronald Fisher?”
      “Yeah, Texas Instruments paid me 50 cents a page to put it on them”

8. Ftp1423 says:

I say more power to them, the schools are so underfunded as it is. My only concern is that this may accelerate that underfunding as they start relying more and more on commercial support. If that happens kids will be learning subjects like “Frying” and “What to do when you get robbed at the drive through window”

9. Skankingmike says:

This is a horrible concept and one that’s been ruining American education system. From Coke sponsored text books to now teachers selling ad space on a damn test!

and we wonder why we’re last place in education in first world countries.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@Skankingmike: In this case, the advertisements are small, low-key, and are not food companies or credit cards. They’re local businesses.

• crashfrog says:

@Skankingmike: how about funding to schools that goes to actual needs rather than the pockets of stupid unionized teachers and over paid superintendents?

I never heard of a teacher who wasn’t barely breaking even. Never heard of one who did better than a lower middle class lifestyle, unless they married into money. Unionized or not, the only pockets that seem to be enriched by our education budgets are administrator pockets.

And I’m pretty sure administrators aren’t unionized. Union blame fail.

• sebadoh128 says:

@crashfrog:

Sister-in-Law; Masters Degree; East Whittier Unified School District, CA; Teaches 4th grade makes $76,000/ year.

I have several school teachers in my family, NONE are want for ANYTHING. (Except more, but really who doesn’t want MORE!)

• Skankingmike says:

@crashfrog: Teachers average salary is around 44k out of school in NJ, with a masters it shoots up to 53k and if you teach in a low income “abbot” school district you make over 60k. This is starting.

I know plenty of teachers after a 4 years who are tenner who make quite a bit of money.

Many of you forget that teachers pay little or nothing for health benefits. And have super job security. It costs on average 500k to fire most teachers who are tenner.

• heyfergy says:

@Skankingmike: That may be the average in NJ, but in other parts of the country it is not the case. In Iowa starting Teacher salaries are as low as 28k/year! When you consider that some cities in Iowa have living costs that rival some of the larger cities in the Midwest, it is a fairly pathetic salary for how much time and energy goes into the job.

• hovy says:

@Skankingmike: Tenure. The word is tenure. A tenner is a ten dollar bill.

And please tell all the teachers in California and many other states just how super their job security is right now. You can find them in the unemployment line.

Maybe you could spot them a tenner while you’re at it.

• sebadoh128 says:

@hovy:

Teacher’s, losing jobs in California?

I can name at least three unions that wouldn’t let that happen. CTA, CTF and UTLA…California is a bad example if you are trying to paint a portrait of the starving teacher, try…Wyoming?

• Skankingmike says:

@hovy: Sorry for my learning disablity. I guess the wonderful teachers that get paid nothing should be rewarded more for their great job in reconizing my issues befoer I became an Adult..

They should move, if they can’t get jobs. Plenty of education jobs out there in this country. That’s the beauty of America.

• ShivangiGebeh says:

@Skankingmike: Please, PLEASE, dont become a teacher. After tenure, now its recognize. Just stay away. You remind me of the high school teacher from Orange County. “You used some pretty big words….but don’t worry, I gave you an A.”

• MrBlastotron says:

@hovy: I wish I could properly stress how much ‘win’ your comment is made of.

• katieoh says:

@Skankingmike: $60k/yr isn’t a whole hell of a lot for the job teachers do. i help out in a kindergarten class in brooklyn, ny, and i’ve seen some of the receipts from purchases the teachers have to make. they dump money into their classrooms. i have no problem with their salaries. as far as i’m concerned, they should make what doctors do. given, if their salaries are raised, i feel as though more scrutiny of things [like the difficulty of their classes, how well they teach, etc] should come into play, but i don’t give a shit if they’re making $100k a year if they’re giving kids their all.

• Skankingmike says:

@heyfergy:

But you guys have all proven why the unions don’t work. You keep telling me teachers don’t have this and don’t get paid what they should. So whose fault is that? They have union, and have for years.

Whatever, bottom line is advertising should never be in schools to substitute costs. PERIOD!

• Anonymous says:

@undefined: @Skankingmike: I teach in an Abbott designated school in NJ, and our salary scale starts at 43k and ends at 73 for 30 years experience.

and it is “tenure” not tenner”.
          try again though.

• crashfrog says:

@Skankingmike: I think the word you’re looking for is “tenure”, and there’s no tenure system for secondary school teachers.

Professors have tenure. Teachers do not. Are you maybe confusing the two? That would also explain how you got the salaries so wrong. (Also NJ has higher average starting salaries than other states. Nationally it’s around $35k starting.) But even $44k really isn’t that much. (A little more than double minimum wage.) Especially if you teach in a field like science or mathematics, where you could expect to pull down an $80k starting salary if you forgo education and enter industry.

• crashfrog says:

@crashfrog: Actually I guess some states or districts have a tenure system for teachers, too, although I don’t see how that works.

Tenure is a system that’s supposed to protect the research of professors by affording them the freedom to follow inquiry where it takes them, free of pressure from administration.

But teachers don’t research. They teach, and what they teach is determined by school boards and state and federal assigned curricula. So what need have they for tenure?

• coren says:

@Skankingmike: If it’s anythning like the areas my friends live in, that’s barely getting by – stuff can get really expensive in Jersey

• Anonymous says:

@Skankingmike: Good god. You think 44k is a lot? 53k isn’t much for someone who has to pay back student loans and sustain a family.

By the way, it’s spelled “tenure”. I cannot pass over the distinct impression I have that you begrudge teachers health benefits, and job security (such as it is). Do you know how much stress they are under on a daily basis?

If you want to pay them corporate wages, provide regular training like they do in other countries, then yes, bitch that they are overpaid and underworked. If not, I suggest you start seeing their welfare as an investments in the future, not as a sinecure that you envy.

• ceejeemcbeegee is not here says:

@Skankingmike: School funding went into my pocket?!!? Ha!

I went broke teaching. I literally spent $4000 per year on basic supplies like pencils, paper, and crayons. The books in my classroom library were from my own childhood collection. The bulletin boards were decorated with my mothers hand-me-down borders. The math manipulatives were my old legos.

I spent most of my own money on making copies: copies of workbooks the kids couldn’t write in, copies of books because the school library wouldn’t let the kids check books out, copies of homework (1 page per night per kid adds up).

The list of expenses is endless.

• Skankingmike says:

@ceejeemcbeegee: Yea it sucks that schools are underfunded. I understand, my wife’s best friend is an elementary teacher, and I’m in school to become one.

There are many problems one is that there are many teachers who are horrible at their job. They fall into teaching as either a last resort or have been there far too long. Many if not all of those ones are over paid and the schools deem it too expensive to fire them so rather than do that they just cut the budget in supplies and various other fields. How would you like to be an Art or Music teacher right now?

They meanwhile have to give yearly wage increases to these horrible teachers that basically suck the funding right out of the school.

For the first few years teachers do not make much money compared to other fields in science and math. However, they do make more than most fields right out of school and have a constant wage increase and job security as well as paid benefits and pension.

• ceejeemcbeegee is not here says:

@Skankingmike: I agree that unions and tenure keep bad teachers in classrooms. But the majority of teachers are good teachers. You just only hear about the bad ones.

• femmesavante says:

@ceejeemcbeegee: Ditto. I spent more money buying supplies etc than I did on myself as a teacher. Add that to the administrative bureaucracy and the social security shaft for reasons why I no longer teach. I call that period my community service stint.

• tc4b says:

@Skankingmike: Superintendents? Maybe. But how are teacher’s unions hurting schools? By making sure teachers get paid a living wage? Surely you’re not going to suggest teachers are overpaid, are you? Are you that ignorant?

• muffingal says:

@Skankingmike: I agree with you on the fact that this is a horrible concept but teachers are not overpaid. If it wasn’t for the unions, I doubt very much people would even consider becoming a teacher with all the money they have to put out of pocket and the lack of support they get from the system. It can be a thankless job!

Outside of that, corporations want to get into the public school system. This act is just something planted to get people thinking that it’s a great idea. It’s just as bad as the school trips to Home Depot. It’s shameless.

My final thought is that this teacher could have utilized DonorsChoose.org for a supply request. I have donated to two projects myself and the donation is tax-deductible!

• alysbrangwin voted for Kay Hagan says:

@muffingal: Come down south. They’re not allowed to unionize here in NC, but no one has the money to sue and challenge ye olde bullshit laws. Teachers start around 20k if they’re lucky here.

• tanya.peacock says:

@alysbrangwin voted for Kay Hagan: I live in southern Alabama and work at a school. No teacher there makes over $18,000 while the pastor of the small church school I work at makes $43,000.

• muffingal says:

@alysbrangwin: That is really a shame. No one really knows how bad it is out there for a working person especially a teacher.

People don’t realize how much they put out of their own pockets but I still don’t agree with selling ads on tests.

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

@muffingal: “My final thought is that this teacher could have utilized DonorsChoose.org for a supply request.”

Oh, yes! I love donorschoose! I donated in my husband’s name for his 30th birthday, and funded a music class set of harmonicas (his grandfather was a harmonica whiz and taught him to play). We got the cutest little package of thank-you notes from the kids at the school. He still has some tacked up over his desk at work.

• JoshReflek says:

@Skankingmike: I agree completely with you.
      If the issue is funding, then take it to those who get paid too much and tell them what they need to do.
      Education is one of the vital aspects of humanities progression as a whole, yet the focus is on profits.

Teachers should make what basketball stars do.

Sports should still be rewarded, as it takes dedication and all that, however society is focusing on the wrong influences.

• SpruceStreetPhil - in a new Pine flavor says:

@radleyas: The problem with comparing our nation’s school to other nations’ schools is that our nation doesn’t run our schools. Theirs do. It’s all about the states. You could live in North Dakota and have no great public schools or you could live in New York and have 170 out of the top 1300. ([www.newsweek.com]) That’s over 10 percent of the best schools in one state. Shouldn’t it be 2% to be fair?

We shouldn’t be compared to Sweden’s schools system because they are much smaller and everything there is equal. (this is a broad assumption, I don’t know much about Sweden except that they excel in rankings of stuff like this) You’re better off comparing your state to other nations because that is where the money is coming from. OBVIOUSLY you’re no patriot or have any nationalistic pride. But to turn down money when it goes to a good cause is what needs to be laughed at.

So the kids read an ad… Are we that naive as a people to not be able to make decisions for ourselves? Those who are suckered into getting 10 credit cards or becoming obese do to inundating fast food ads reap the consequences. Those who are mentally strong and learn to think for themselves do not. It sounds harsh but the world is not fair. Nor should we make it that way. Harrison Bergeron will tell you that. It’s the survival (at least rise) of the fittest at its finest.

On the other hand we should just eliminate ads everywhere or any type of corporate sponsorship for anything. Our little kiddies don’t need to be enticed by the allure of coca cola on the side of trucks (or the bottom of papers.) NO, those trucks need to be plain white!

• Skankingmike says:

@jhmartin: yes people are naive, ESPECIALLY CHILDREN!! you can’t preach about your own beliefs but you can sell them a pizza!? Ethics of teachers are pretty extreme. But, if you run out of money slap some Pizza hut ads on that book and that’s fine.

• jcargill says:

@Skankingmike: @Skankingmike:

I was wondering when some conservative was going to jump in and blame unions. Oh, you silly republicans! How much I will miss you.

People, don’t feed the trolls–it just encourages them.

10. bsalamon says:

teachers need to be paid you know

11. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Arcon Structural Engineer Inc. needs YOU! Pass your calculus test, and we’ll pass out a free hat.

As long as it isn’t credit card companies or fast food companies, I’m pretty much okay with this. For a small-scale thing like raising $184 to cover the cost of printing, it’s not like companies are going to get a lot. I think on something this small, companies are more likely to do it because it’s not really a big deal, not because there are actual benefits (so far) of advertising on a test. It’s like buying a box of candy bars from your kid’s class because it’s a nice thing to do, not because you actually like Chocolate Blueberry Crunch Surprise (read: chocolate-covered cardboard).

12. MeOhMy says:

I think it’s fun that parents or others would kick in for “Go student!” type messages. “Enjoy Coke” is a little more concerning.

But at the end of the day, at 3 cents per copy $500 is more than SIXTEEN THOUSAND pages. I think that’s the real problem that needs solved.

• coren says:

@Troy F.: Well ok, figure this is his yearly budget. Figure five classes a day (it’s probably more, but let’s say). Figure a four page test (that’s low, I’ve done calculus tests before. ugh). Does it cost more to get a double sided copy? I’ll assume not for this but it probably does. We’ll call it a low low 25 students a class. 8 tests, a midterm and a final (a test every 4 weeks, basically) with the midterm and final being 8 pages each. That’s 6000 pages, and I could easily see another 3000 coming from quizzes…

• MeOhMy says:

@coren: So you came up with 9000 pages….what about the remaining 7000?

I would be surprised even in a larger school district that

@DeeJayQueue: 3 cents/copy was specified in the article. I didn’t just make that up.

Perhaps its not out-of-proportion even if I cannot imagine that I ever had 90 pages or more of photocopied pages through the course of a semester/school year in any of my calc classes, but it’s a ridiculous amount of waste either way.

There are educationally better ways to do this…and they are cheaper and less wasteful. Constant brute force testing isn’t really all that effective.

• TheWillow says:

@Troy F.:

If you figure ~30 kids a class, ~6 classes a day (it’s high school after all), and ~180 days in the school year it’s only about a half of a page per day per kid.

• DeeJayQueue says:

@Troy F.: It’s not 3¢/copy though. If he’s going to a place like staples and doing it himself, it’s 5¢ for single sided on 8.5×11. Throw in anything extra, like double sided, odd sizes or colors, stapling, etc. and the cost skyrockets. There’s no volume break for DIY either. If they get it done behind the counter it’s even more expensive, like 8.5¢/copy to start.

So now, let’s do the math. It works out to 10k sheets. That’s only 2 cases of paper. Really not much for a teacher to go through in the course of a year.

13. RevRagnarok says:

Wasn’t there something in the recent past about McD on report cards and get a free something with certain grades (I’m being vague because I’m at work and don’t have time to research it)?

I hate all the “sponsorship.” Back when I was in college, Coke bought “us” a new scoreboard for the gym and then all Pepsi products were banned from campus. Funniest part about that is that the food service company with the cafeteria contract was owned by PepsiCo. I guess it’s better than raising my tuition, but I still found it annoying because I was there to learn and for all I care the gym could’ve been made into a parking lot.

• coan_net says:

@RevRagnarok: … at the same time, schools have costs – and the majority of voters don’t want higher taxes to pay for those costs….. it is sad when those same people complain when McDonald or someone helps support a school.

• Twinrevanoe says:

@RevRagnarok:
      They still do, but scarcely.On Halloween, a woman passed out a free coupon for a Whopper if you bought a Kids Meal and on it, it read :”Congratulations, _________________, for having such an awesome grade! Have this token of appreciation towards your next stop at Burger King!” and it was just “WTF”

I used to get passes towards a Free Kids Buffet at a Local Buffet, and it was awesome. We rejoiced each day I came home with a Golden Corral Free Kids’ Buffet Ticket.

But now it seems that local companies support any nearby high schools. My old high school is supported by a car dealership next door.

14. laserjobs says:

Cigarettes and Boones wine should be tapping this market

15. MaliBoo Radley says:

This seems so terribly sad to me. I’m constantly told by various sources that I live in the greatest country in the world. I’m told that are educational system is the tops, bar none. Obviously, this isn’t the greatest country in the world, just the best one for those who want to live here. And the idea that we have the best educational system when shit like this happens .. well, it just seems laughable.

I don’t know what the answer to the public education system is, but I’m sure it’s not corporate sponsorship. AT&T Senior High School here we come … :(

• LandruBek says:

@radleyas: hmm, I’ve heard people brag about the system of universities in the USA, but I haven’t heard anyone say that the public schools are the tops. Of course people in general, and presidential candidates most of all, can’t help but boast that their country is Teh Hawt!—but that must be taken with a grain of salt.

• MaliBoo Radley says:

@LandruBek:

I live in Texas, north of Dallas .. people are always going on about how fabulous the public system is here. Also, I was educated in the Fairfax County public school system in Virginia .. always rated highly, but I beg to differ.

• BytheSea says:

@radleyas: My brother lives near Dallas. I don’t reckon there’s many teachers having trouble with copying, in a district where every parents is paying the taxes on their 16 yo’s very own Hummer.

• Skankingmike says:

@radleyas: who says these things and what do they smoke, I may take up that habit.

16. youbastid says:

While this specific example – small local businesses and parents paying for the tests – is smart and OK in my book, what this guy should have done was find out how to not spend $500 on paper every semester. It’s wasteful. Quizzes are informal – make some of them oral. Even better, write the questions on the chalkboard, have the students write the answers on their own notebooks and hand the paper in.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@youbastid: I’m not sure you could do math quizzes orally, but when I was in school (and didn’t have a choice in avoiding math classes) my teachers regularly had quizzes on the board. It made more sense to do it that way because then he/she wouldn’t have to prepare the quizzes with the layouts and the blank spaces and each student could use their own paper. It saves printing costs, and it saves time that the teacher could be using to prepare other lesson plans.

• tc4b says:

@youbastid: Good thinking. Environmentally concionable, even.

• ceejeemcbeegee is not here says:

@youbastid: You have no clue.

I taught 3rd grade. 25 students. Most parents expect at least one page of homework every night, right? If I give each child 1 double-sided page of homework every night, that’s 50 copies per DAY (1 page=2 copies x 25 students), and 250 copies per WEEK. The cheapest copy place I found was Staples at 5 cents per copy. So each week, I’m spending $12.50 per week just on HOMEWORK. If semester is 9 weeks, that’s $122.50 per semester… just on one page of homework.

Never mind making copies of workbooks the kids can’t write in, or copies anything supplemental you’d like to teach from.

And that’s not including the cost of paper.

Now, your solutions are plausible. However, oral quizzes are time consuming. How are you to ensure other students don’t overhear the answers? Make up separate quizzes for each student? In a class of 30 or more, that would take all day.

As for writing the questions on the chalkboard, that’s also time consuming. Just write the answers you say… how will they show their work? Some teachers give partial credit for demonstrating the right process, even if you give the wrong answer.

Making copies of quizzes/tests just saves what limited prep time a teacher has.

• coren says:

@ceejeemcbeegee: I think Oral Quizzes in the sense that you say the question, they write down the answer, not a totally verbal quiz.

And writing on the chalkboard can’t possibly be more time consuming than writing it out on a piece of paper, then getting it copied somewhere. There’s no reason they can’t show the work since they’re doing the answers on their own paper (I don’t think that’s what they meant when they said write the answer in the notebook anyway)

• alysbrangwin voted for Kay Hagan says:

@coren: It’s clear you have never taught. Writing stuff on the board takes time. If you have a paper prepared in advance, you hand it out and the students can start immediately. Please stand in front of a class of 30 students while they wait for you to write questions on the board, and then tell me how it’s more effective than running those same questions off.

• youbastid says:

@alysbrangwin voted for Kay Hagan: OMG! It takes time! OK, we’re talking a quiz here. 10 Calculus equations. Should take 3-5 minutes tops. Is there that much time saved in making copies?

Second, in HS my social studies teachers would write entire test essay questions on the board before class. Probably took them a good 15-30 minutes. (Good gracious!!) But that’s what they did because that’s what they had to. They didn’t have to sell ad space.

• azntg says:

@youbastid: You really have to teach in a middle school / high school setting yourself to truly appreciate what teachers go through.

As recently as two years ago, I would’ve agree with you on all the points you’ve made no questions asked. I’m guilty in that respect. However, now that I’m in front of the chalkboard, it’s a completely different story altogether.

- The 10 calculus equations on the board idea is easier said than done. First, try to have the students take the quiz seriously the first time (that burns up 5-10 minutes quickly). Then, hope that there’s no other problems that comes up during that quiz (e.g.: one student not having a paper/pencil/pen/etc.). Finally, collect the quizzes from the students, only to find that you only have 5-10 minutes left to the period.

Printing out the quiz and handing it to students is one of the methods suggested for minimizing time sinks. Dang!

- Writing that test essay question on the board for 15-30 minutes beforehand is not feasible either, especially if you teach back-to-back periods in a different classroom each time (as is the case of some of the teachers in my school).

Sure, maybe the masochist teacher can write in those questions in three different classrooms. Better cross your fingers that the teacher (or the students) will honor your note and not erase it!

Perhaps an overhead projector might help… if your school has one that actually works!

- Maybe parents are more supportive in suburban school districts. In urban school districts, forget about trying to get the parents to hold a bake sale. You’ll be lucky if the parents even show up to begin with!

Reality and wishful thinking just doesn’t match up very well. I’ve found out for myself the hard way.

• coren says:

@alysbrangwin: Oh, I guess you can’t put the questions on the board before class, what with this being high school and having several classes going on a day rather than you standing there.

Or overhead projectors – prepping an overhead beforehand is easy peasy.

And yes, I have taught.

• coren says:

@coren: Er what I meant was in the breaks. It doesn’t take more than a couple minutes to write five calc questions on the board – and honestly a quiz shouldn’t be more than that, especially if it’s not meant to be long.

• HIV 2 Elway says:

@ceejeemcbeegee: What about overhead projectors or power points fed through projectors? Can kids get and turn in their homework electronically? I have to think that kids are pretty computer savvy.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@HIV 2 Elway Resurrected: The biggest reason why this hasn’t been done on a larger scale is you can’t assume all kids have access to an adequate computer or a fast connection at home. Kids would have to stay at school or go to a public library for internet access to do homework, which isn’t always feasible when their parents have to pick them up, or schools don’t stay open after school hours.

• coren says:

@HIV 2 Elway Resurrected: Some subjects, sure. Math is one of the least practical (chemistry/physics as well – I don’t know about other sciences as I’ve never had to sub them)

• youbastid says:

@ceejeemcbeegee: Oral quizzes was just one suggestion. But the questions on the chalkboard is really, really simple. How will they show their work? Just tell them they have to show their work! If time consumption is a problem, do it before class and cover the board.

As a side note – and I’m on your side with this one – do schools not have their own copiers and paper supplies anymore? Are they outsourcing all their work to kinko’s? What’s the deal with that?

• youbastid says:

@ceejeemcbeegee: (PS – If a parent tells you they expect a page of homework each night, tell them you don’t have the money for it and they’re welcome to hold a bake sale to help out!)

• delicatedisarray says:

@youbastid: You also run into the problem of students not having paper because their parents either don’t buy it or can’t afford to. My mother is required to provide paper for her students if they do not have it. She is given a small amount at the begining of the year that no way meets the needs. From then on out she has to buy it. You can not depend on the students having the supplies. So either way the teacher is out money. This is something the schools and states should be taking care of, not the teachers out of their own pockets.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@delicatedisarray: Last time I checked, notebook paper was about 200 sheets for $1.20. Parents can’t be bothered to spend $5 and get their kids a lot of notebook paper for the year?

• oneandone says:

@Spork: Some don’t. Some can’t. Some do, but the students don’t bring it with them.

What burns me up is the workbooks that you’re not supposed to write in. That’s BS.

17. JDAC says:

“If you have three Pepsis and drink one, how much more refreshed are you? You, the redhead in the Chicago school system?”
    “Pepsi?”
    “Partial credit.”

Fucking weak.

18. Overheal says:

Just what we need: “Pepsi presents: Idiot America”

19. lightaugust says:

Kind of the ultimate slippery slope argument, right? Everyone always seems OK with a limited amount of this (local business, low key, etc.) But legally, down the road, can you draw a line- free speech wise? Ultimately, schools are public institutions. I think we’ve seen what happens when you start mixing those chemicals… yes it solves the problem, but this one really opens the door to far too many others.

20. ZaltanaGazelle says:

Great idea. I spend several hundred dollars a year on paper and ink for my wife to use in her classroom. Public schools today are so underfunded that the limits set by the school on how many pages can be printed are ridiculously low.

21. night_2004 says:

This is ridiculous. Education needs to be funded by entities that are NOT looking to exploit the youngest, and most impressionable, generation.

I hope that this teacher is kind enough to post all of the ads he/she runs in the exams, and also post who solicited for ad space, so I know which companies to stop patronizing.

Looks like I am going to have to contact my rep, try to get a bill introduced that prevents this.

• tc4b says:

@night_2004: How are you going to propose it be prevented, by simply outlawing it, or by providing sufficient funding to make it unnecessary?

• kathyl says:

@night_2004: You should contact your rep and point out that the schools are obviously criminally underfunded and demand that they set aside more money in the budget for education. Anything else doesn’t fix the underlying problem.

• Corporate_guy says:

@kathyl: Yea, because it’s too hard to save exams and have students bring their own paper to write on. Sometimes teachers just want to waste money, and this one is so stubborn he is willing to sell ads to continue to be wasteful.

• Anonymous says:

@Corporate_guy:
          How would this work? You cannot require students to bring paper as a condition of their education. In fact, you can’t require students to bring *anything* in order to obtain their public education, because it’s seen as favoring students with more money.

You’re welcome to ask them to bring things. Good luck with that. Would you care to guess the success rate of asking adolescent students and disinterested parents to provide school supplies at their own expense?

• yo, naomi leon (nee captain_underpants) says:

@Corporate_guy: what if a student doesn’t bring any paper? what if a student has a learning disability and needs to have a test modified? what if a students has a disability involving fine motor skills and takes 10 minutes to write a single sentence?

• coren says:

@Corporate_guy: Not at all practical in a test environment, especially as tests are standardized and that means time wasted copying down a problem is going to count against a student

• Corporate_guy says:

@coren: I guess you have never been in school to suggest writing answers on your own piece of paper is not practical. I’ve taken tests where the questions are on an overhead projector and you write the answers on a normal piece of paper. Not one person had a problem with it.

I have also taken tests where you get a paper copy to view and you mark scantrons or write answers on your own piece of paper. Then turn in the paper copy so the teacher can reuse it for the next class.

And these things weren’t done for budget cuts, the school used scantrons a lot so there was no point in printing out 4 classes of copies when you only needed a set of 30 to reuse for each class. Some teachers did print out copies for everyone to write on, but it was just easier to have students bring their paper own to write on rather than waste time printing more copies and having to lug around 120 copies of a multi page exam home to grade.

And to add about the questions of disabled students, they have helpers. They can go to a separate room to take exams where they can have people help them write out answers, fill in bubble sheets, have things read to them, and can have more time if they need it. Again it seems like a lot of you have never been in school before.

• femmesavante says:

@Corporate_guy: There is a vast range of disabilities. All require some sort of test modification but are not all severe enough to allow for “helpers,” even if your school is lucky enough to afford them.

As for students bringing their own paper, many will not or cannot. As a teacher, I could not penalize a student for failure to have supplies. Scantrons were also a no-no. They work well for testing objective subjects or for times recognition is being testing. They do not work well for foreign languages.

• Corporate_guy says:

@femmesavante: When scantrons don’t work you use paper brought in by the students. If the student cannot afford a one dollar note book, how do they eat? Or live? If they can’t invest in a note book, they better be sitting there naked and starving. Since they can’t afford anything.

• coren says:

@night_2004: Yeah, let’s not patronize the companies making the test possible and furthering education!

22. YourTechSupport says:

“This Pop Quiz is brought to you by Carl’s Jr!”

23. MaliBoo Radley says:

Why oh why does this make me think “Welcome to Costco, I love you” ??

24. missdona says:

@Yebo: I would not want parents or parents’s businesses to advertise. It’s too much of a conflict of interest.

25. RobertaNimple says:

“Who can tell me the atomic weight of bolognium?”
    “Ooh … delicious?”
    “Correct. I would also accept snacktacular.”

26. illtron says:

It’s not so much selling ads as it is shaming the school for not properly funding the teachers. There’s no reason teachers shouldn’t be fully reimbursed for the expenses they incur.

27. Angryrider says:

Hahaha… Man, there is just something wrong with this country when our teachers actually have to sell ad space on tests. I can’t wait to see when each classroom is outfitted with one of ‘em LED signboards. By Mennon!

28. XianZhuXuande says:

Good for the teacher.

29. Red_Eye says:

Here in Georgia the teacher can use Fast Food branding because the cafeterias are already. Chick Fil A is a huge sponsor, our kid cant have a happy meal in school, unless its not identifiable where it came from so as not to offend the other sponsors..

• coren says:

@Red_Eye: Wow. The sponsor would be offended. That’s…wow.

• oneandone says:

@coren: A few years ago, a student in Georgia was sent home from school for wearing a Pepsi shirt on Coke Appreciation Day at his school.
        [chronicle.augusta.com]

From a pretty thorough but dated report (1998) on commercialization of public schools:
        [The principal] was apparently worried that [the high school's] chances of winning the $10,000 prize in a national contest sponsored by Coke, as well as the opportunity to collect $500 from the local Coke bottler, had been damaged by Mike’s irreverent act. Greenbrier High was competing to win the $10,000 prize offered by the Coca-Cola Company to the high school that developed the best plan for marketing Coke-sponsored promotional business discount cards. Local Coke bottlers offered an additional $500 to the winning school in their territory.

[epicpolicy.org]

30. shadax says:

If I fail little Junior in the back row, his dad will pull his ads from my exams. I’d better go easy on him, even though he spelled “Yale” with a “6″.

31. Kitteridge says:

Where to start. My main issues with this:

1) The teacher’s energies should not have to be spent rustling up ads. They should be dedicated to better education and management of his classes and maybe once in a while catching his breath.

2) While I’m sure a curb on, say, 100-page tests given out weekly would (and should) raise eyebrows in the school’s budget, the fact that teachers have to be page-conscious when it comes to actually obtaining the tools necessary to teach/quiz their students makes me sick.

3) Every time a student sees one of these ads, he or she will be getting the subtle message that education is not something society values. Not as if they don’t get it ten times a day already, but jeez, on the test itself. Good grief.

Finally, the next time some politician floats the idea of raising taxes so more funds can go to school, those of you dissenters need to re-read this story.

• tc4b says:

@Kitteridge:

Excellent point. We’re always teaching more than we think we are, though it’s not always the lesson we intended to convey.

• cuiusquemodi says:

@Kitteridge: Every time a student sees one of these ads, he or she will be getting the subtle message that education is not something society values. Not as if they don’t get it ten times a day already, but jeez, on the test itself. Good grief.

Because when I was in school, I certainly know I was motivated or not based on how much I thought society valued education?

• LandruBek says:

@cuiusquemodi: Maybe my irony detector is giving a false positive, but it sounds like you are saying you were immune as a youngster to the pressure to fit in to societal value systems. Well, if so, congratulations! You must have been the only one. Many other young people are rather impressionable though.

32. tc4b says:

I’m not exactly comfortable with this kind of practice, but I applaud the teacher who did it. Districts routinely ignore concerns of their employees, and sometimes they only respond to community pressure. Hopefully, this will embarrass them into addressing the issue.

Simply cutting funds and saying, basically, “Make it work somehow!” to your employees invites this kind of stuff.

33. mdoublej says:

At first glance of the picture, after reading the headline, I thought it was a Nike Swoosh on the test, not a checkmark.

34. hollywood2590 says:

I think only one other person has mentioned this, but $500 a year? How many pages are his tests? Assuming he has 125 students, and 3 cents a copy, thats over 130 pages for each student. What subject could this possibly be for that he would need that much paper?

• coren says:

@hollywood2590: Calculus.

And 125 for a high school teacher is low. I’ve found 140 to be more accurate, and that’s only assuming 5 classes a day, apparently six is the norm, so make that closer to 170…it works down to closer to 100 pages a student..and for math, if it’s preprinted quizzes and tests every unit plus midterm and final (in public school you bet it is), you’re looking at 10 to 12 tests, and math tests tend to be page heavier than most.

• ZaltanaGazelle says:

@hollywood2590:

If you have 24 students, and there are 180 days to the school year, and each day, you have 4 single page handouts, at $.03/page that comes out to $518/year in printing expenses.

Considering that this teacher probably teaches Math, Science, Reading/English, and Social Studies, 1 page per subject/day seems very low.

We havent counted quizzes or tests on that total, just teaching handouts.

• coren says:

@ZaltanaGazelle: Well they probably teach Calculus, pre calculus and a couple other higher maths, at least if they’re a HS teacher (my assumption being that I never have heard of calc predating HS level work)

35. kathyl says:

If Commercial Alert doesn’t want ads in the schools, they should be fundraising to make up the funding gap that the ads are filling.

36. pecan 3.14159265 says:

When I was in school the average math test had about 30 to 40 questions. You have to have margins and space for answers, and when you get to higher level math like calculus, you need more space for answers, especially since math problems are longer and more complex. Just take a look at the photo included with the post (which is the one in the linked article) So if you can even skimp on a little space and put 6 questions on one side of a sheet of paper, even double sided you’re looking at 3 to 4 sheets of paper.

37. stanhubrio says:

As a high school teacher, I can tell you that most kids won’t even notice–some don’t even read the questions on the test.

As a consumer and an American citizen, I am horrified. Can’t we even properly fund our schools? The message this is sending is that the government doesn’t give a damn about the quality of our future citizens. And what’s next, ad space on babies’ foreheads?

38. Skipweasel says:

ETS ran the SATs in the UK so badly this year (we’ve yet to receive our son’s results – they were due in July) that I can’t imagine anyone even remotely consdiering advertising on them!

39. downwithmonstercable says:

He could get himself into trouble. Ads in schools are most likely reviewed by a board to ensure it’s appropriate. If it’s just him deciding on what shows up on his tests and he says no to somebody who takes it badly, that could instantly be a lawsuit.

40. Parting says:

If your doing a test, advertisement on your page, is the least of your concerns.

41. JohnMc says:

Wrong!!

This teacher should punt on paper tests, start up a Moodle site and have the tests online. The software is free. Websites can be had for $10/mo.

• TWinter says:

@JohnMc: How is this supposed to work in real class?

Do you think all of his students have a laptop with them in class or that this school has the money to provide them?

If they do the on-line test outside class, there is no way to control cheating.

42. MattO says:

so what about when the teachers who DONT need the money start doing this to get a little extra $$ in their pocket? is that okay? can I do that at my job? i work in the corporate offices of a chain of stores – so can I get some more money by advertising competitors in my office?

i am not saying the system is right, cause it isnt…and i am not saying he shouldnt get more money, cause he should….but what is stopping him from getting EXTRA towards stuff for himself? or any other teacher from doing that?

43. GuinevereRucker says:

I am an educator as well, and abhor this idea. Schools are NOT the place for corporate influence.

The Constitution calls for separation of Church and State for a reason. It does not say that either is more important, and both have a very important job. But mixing can sometimes have bad results.

In the same way, I feel that mixing capitalism and education can have bad results. Public schools should be devoid of commercial influence. As others have stated, it’s a small step from a one-liner on a test to much more obvious things.

• MaliBoo Radley says:

@GuinevereRucker:

I hate to split hairs, but the constitution doesn’t call for a seperation of church and state. That was phrase used in a letter written by Thomas Jefferson. The constitution does allow freedom of religion, but that’s a bit different.

Perhaps it’s a matter of interpretation. We’ve decided that freedom of religion mean a seperation of it from the state. I’m not complaining .. I’m an Atheist.

• MaliBoo Radley says:

@GuinevereRucker:

Also, as an educator, you should know that isn’t in the constitution …

• GuinevereRucker says:

@radleyas: Heh, you’re absolutely right. TBH, I’m a private guitar instructor with a degree in education, and I also substitute teach. But not a full-fledged teacher :) I should have known that, though.

• Pylon83 says:

@radleyas:
        The establishment clause could and has been interpreted to essentially require the separation of church and state. While it doesn’t actually say “Church and state must be separate”, it prohibits the state from establishing a religion, and that has been interpreted to mean the state can’t endorse or get overly entangled with a religion.

• Anonymous says:

@GuinevereRucker:

Could you please show me where in the US Constitution that such a separation of church and state exists?

I am a teacher as well. I have no problem with this. People are so used to ignoring advertising at this stage of the game that I don’t think too many people will even notice. That being said, we don’t get a budget for our copies, we just make them w/o worrying about it at all.

• GuinevereRucker says:

@ZamirPompeii: Perhaps my analogy above was a bad one… I was just trying to draw a parallel between the two ideas and show that advertising in schools isn’t a good idea.

One-liners on a test may seem insignificant, and no one can deny that the teacher was acting in the best interest of his students (and cleverly). But IMO, it’s a slippery slope from that to much more influential and drastic intrusion by larger companies.

When I walk into a courtroom, I don’t expect to see advertisements because the justice department didn’t get the funds they needed. Similarly, I don’t expect to see advertisements when I walk in a school. It’s a public place where impressionable minds go to learn independent of bias and corporate influence.

• fatcop says:

@GuinevereRucker: Holy shit, your post almost gave me the vapors.

You’ve taken enough of a beating on it that I won’t pile on though.

44. mike says:

At some point, I want to see a periodic table of elements sponsored by Oscar Meyer, a la The Simpsons.

All kidding aside, I am very wary of corporate sponsored education. It doesn’t seem very neutral. What if Fox News or CNN started sponsoring the history books?

45. Corporate_guy says:

Terrible. This should be illegal. If the school doesn’t pay to print tests, don’t print them. If the school wants students tested it can pay for it. And why does the teacher have to reprint all the exams. Print them once and save them. Tell the students to bring their own paper to write on.

46. MaliBoo Radley says:

I’m suprised that no one else has thought of a very creep consequence of this idea.

If schools become reliant on advertising, much like TV, they could end up at the command of these advertisers. Say the school teaches something that the sponsor doesn’t care for, then threatens to pull the much needed money. What is the school to do??

47. maztec says:

McD’s ads are already put on report cards, including “gift prizes for A’s!” Meh.

48. bastion72 says:

This math quiz is brought to you by the Pythagorean theorem.

• BytheSea says:

@bastion72: If I donated to this guy’s fund, that’s what I’d want put on the test, instead of “Way to go, Cougers!” or whatever moms and dads usually pick.

49. SWBLOOPERS says:

I wonder if they would let someone run an ad which contains answers to the test students are taking? If not, one could claim censorship.

50. Hooray4Zoidberg says:

@undefined: I see no problem with corporations sponsoring school books, after all it’s for freedoms like these that the Coca-Cola company fought the British run Pepsi co. for independence back in 1776 to create this fine country in the first place. Then again in 1945 with the invention of nutrasweet single handily won us the war it did. You’d all be speaking german right now if not for them.

51. kaptainkk says:

How in the hell can anyone think this is a good idea? Corporatism should be banned from all schools in any form. It’s should be a place to learn and not a place to be influenced by advertisements. Schools are underfunded because of all the crooks and overzealous spending in our government. Kill the crooks and curb the spending if you want to see some changes in our educational system.

52. SJRNWT says:

Excellent idea!

• LandruBek says:

@SJRNWT: It is an excellent way to draw attention to the shameful situation of public schools undersupplying their faculty. Pretty ballsy if you ask me, and I mean that as a compliment. Teachers should not have to resort to such stunts to do their job, but I admire this one’s dedication and creativity.

As others have observed, it’s a crappy idea as a long-term strategy. I hope the school board does the right thing and invests in some office supplies, so this demonstration can end.

53. Pylon83 says:

While I don’t think this is a “bad idea”, I do think it’s pretty sad that this is what the state of our education system has come to. I must say that I’ve been lucky; I attended a public school in a very well funded district, I attended a well funded public university and I now attend a private graduate school. Until (relatively) recently, I’m not sure I really understood how bad our education system in this country is. I was pretty isolated in the upper-middle-class midwest. But when I read stuff like this it just saddens me. First, kudos to the teacher for being creative in finding a way to fill the gap in funding. That said, I find it reprehensible that this has been allowed to occur in this country. I suspect some of it is because there are indeed communities that simply don’t value education and could care less how well their schools are funded, they just don’t want their taxes to go up. Moreover, what really infuriates me is the states and communities that desperately need money for education, but refuse to allow business that have the potential to generate huge tax revenues operate (like Casinos) because of moral opposition. The people and politicians in those areas are lifting up their morals on the backs of teachers and their students. I think teachers are grossly underpaid, which drives some who would teach into other professions. I also think it’s terrible that they are not reimbursed for all of their out of pocket expenses. What job in corporate America expects you to pay for office supplies out of your own pocket? And to the commenter above who said something about having to go to the local copy store to get tests copied, how does your school not have a copy machine or a laser printer? It’s beyond me that teachers can’t even print their necessary materials in-house. // end rant.

54. bwilliams18 says:

For ten to 30 bucks i would put in nmonic(sp) devices

55. morganlh85 says:

Teachers can’t even get money to print out tests for children, what is wrong with our education system? Thanks, No Child Left Behind!

56. econobiker says:

Are these the same businesses which would want tax credits to stay in an area or relocation credits to relocate to an area?

And then the same businesses getting tax credits, etc complain that the workers who are products of the local school system are crap and need remedial help…

Then businesses can sponsor the local town hall and so on just like those government owned stadiums which get a sports team millions of dollars in advertising revenue…

Wasn’t there a move to put adverstising on the orange school buses a few years back that was squashed due to some conflict of interest????

57. ShariC says:

The fact that this occurs in America is a real testimonial to the lip service given to education. When ads have to be sold on tests to pay for the printing costs, then it shows just how little Americans value the education of their children. Property taxes (which pay for education) should be raised, parents should contribute to the expenses equally, or the parents should pay for materials outright.

I don’t have a problem with what the teacher did as he’s doing what he needs to do to get the job done. I’m just appalled that this is the state of public education in the U.S. today. This contributes far more to a sense of hopelessness about America’s future than the poor economy.

58. SushamaCardinal says:

Welcome to the United States of Blackwater, where your tax dollars go to enrich war profiteers, and not to educate your children — those kids don’t need much of an education, they are just fodder for the profitable war machine.

59. Anonymous says:

Ads have in school for years. Don’t any of you remember ChannelOne in the 90′s? My school so SO excited to get a TV in every classroom, that we sat and wasted 15 minutes every school day watching one-sided news reports and soft drink ads.

Now you have Bus Radio, which essentially holds kids captive to a commercial message en route to school each day in exchange for “free” tunes.

Commercialization of our schools is nothing new.

60. Anonymous says:

selling ad space is actually a pretty decent idea. a few years ago, my high school was really hurting for money. so at the beginning of the year, a lot of my teachers were offering extra credit to students that donated a ream of paper to the class

61. BytheSea says:

I don’t like this for reasons I’ll go into below, but the fact is that schools have no money, teachers have no money, and if this teacher needs to pass the hat then go him.

But I don’t like it because by the time kids hit high school, every minute of their past sixteen lives, someone has been screaming at them to buy this, be that, absorb, assimilate. School as an institution is supposed to be neutral. Now when they look down at their quizzes every week, or tests every three weeks, they feel like school wants a piece of them too. The problem with this emerging generation is the ennui and emptiness, the lack of connection wrought by cold consumerism. They don’t trust people who want their money, and now it seems schools are at least in bed with people who want their money too.

62. You hate your job but you're still working there? says:

This doesn’t seem like a huge stretch from company-sponsored scholarships.

63. synergy says:

I think it’s offensive that schools actually expect teachers to use their salary to accomplish work in the classroom. Ridiculous.

64. ArmyCats says:

“Come into any McDonalds and enjoy this tasty burger after a hard day of work!”
    -AD

What’s so bad about that? It teaches kids to release stress with food. Not healthy and will cause more obesity problems…

65. katiat325 says:

It’s an idea that’s been done before. I mean really, why can’t they just print the tests/quizes out on one transparency and put that up and have the kids write on binder paper, staple, and turn it in to the teacher. Or how about take home quizes posted online?

66. innout3x3 says:

Great part about this article is that that was my high school teacher Mr. Farber. He taught me Algebra 3-4, but he’s a great AP calculus teacher too.

67. monkeytown says:

Keep it local, keep it off to the side and I don’t see anything wrong with this. Schools need the money. And I must admit, I do love the idea of a parent giving their kid a word of encouragement on the test itself.

68. arl84 says:

This is one of those ideas that seems nice in theory, but it’s only a matter of time before the spam and pr0n start showing up.

I realize that’s an exaggeration, but I hope everyone knows what I’m getting at.

69. Meathamper says:

I don’t find this that horrible. I think that as long as they limit the ads and they aren’t cnotradictory to the “pillars of education” (ie. no Taco Bell ads when the school crows on about healthy eating), it’s fine by me.

70. trujunglist says:

The fact that no one is really surprised is wrong wrong wrong. How can we simply accept this? We’re so used to the idea that our educational system is a huge failure that we see this and think “Wow, that’s a pretty smart idea so he doesn’t have to pay out of pocket!” rather than “WTF?! Why aren’t we allocating more resources to teachers!?”