EECB / BBB Complaint Solves $500 Dispute With TMobile

Bill says that an EECB (executive email carpet bomb) follow up to a BBB complaint solved his $500 billing dispute with TMobile, and he couldn’t be happier.

Bill says:

I had a $500 billing dispute with T-mobile. Long story short: I lost my phone. Got a new one through their insurance program that was configured incorrectly (wasn’t using WIFI to make free phone calls) and was charged for tons of minutes that should have been free.

After being rebuffed by customer service and eventually having my phone disconnected, I filed a claim with the BBB and then, when that seemingly had no effect, performing an EECB, emailing the CEO, VP of external affairs, and VP of customer service of T-mobile.

The result:

I received a phone call the next day (today) from someone from the T-mobile “Executive Response” team. The woman explained that she was calling because of the email I had sent (EECB = Success!). She then explained that she was surprised that the BBB said T-mobile did not response because they, in fact, had. In addition, she said that she removed the charges from my account almost 2 weeks ago and left me 2 voice mails (which I never received) saying as such. She was very appreciative that I forwarded her the email the BBB had sent me, because she seemed quite anxious to resolve the situation with them…even though they are not a BBB accredited business they still respond to their claims.

Summation: The BBB and EECBs DO work. Thanks for the tips, Consumerist!

For more information about launching your own EECB, click here.

(Photo: cmorran123 )

Comments

1. Smooooth says:

Probably left the voicemails on your phone they disconnected.

2. johnnya2 says:

Just remember the BBB has absolutely no authority, power or influence. They are in existence at the financial backing of the companies,not consumers.

• SharanyaMed?n says:

@johnnya2: It’s true that the BBB has no authority or power, but not that it has no influence, as is made clear in this story. Consumers make decisions about which companies to give their business to based on what sort of record the companies have with the BBB – I always check in before I open an account or make a large purchase – and thus companies are anxious to maintain a good record there.

• johnnya2 says:

@SharanyaMed?n: Who do you think pays for the BBB? Keeping a good record there is simple. You say, oh yes we will act in good faith. There is no force of law, or authority they have. Here is the exact accredidation standard as written by the BBB:

“If a business has been accredited by the BBB, it means the BBB has determined that the business meets accreditation standards which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. BBB accredited businesses pay a fee for accreditation review/monitoring and for support of BBB services to the public.
        BBB accreditation does not mean that the business’ products or services have been evaluated or endorsed by the BBB, or that the BBB has made a determination as to the business’ product quality or competency in performing services.”

Who do you think sets the standards they use? The paying membership of course. So a business gets to determine what is a good faith resolution.

3. Keirmeister says:

It’s good to see things worked out. I wasn’t so lucky with T-Mobile. The BBB was full of truly nice people, but were about as useful as 5 bungholes. In the end, we had to settle. Strangely enough, T-Mobile put a negative on the credit report two months after settling.

…Which was wrong, bordering on illegal. But at least that was fixed.

4. Anonymous says:

As someone who works indirectly for tmobile, I find this funny. Could just be the way its worded, but:

A) If you file a claim through Asurion for a replacement phone, Asurion replaces it. Case closed.
    B) If you want the phone to use wifi access, then either set it up, or call up Customer Care and have us walk you through how to set it up. Asurion doesnt configure stock devices for you, nor would they know how to.

As we would say on our end: charges valid, pay your bill.

Dude is lucky the charges got reversed.

5. Brontide says:

T-Mobile has some of the best customer service reps that I have spoken to. I tried and returned a phone well within the trial period and then got a bill two months later. A quick call to customer support and they confirmed my story, credited my account, and next month credited my account for the other month without me having to call in again.

Pretty good service for someone who isn’t even a paying subscriber. Maybe someday when their coverage doesn’t blow chunks in my area I will be a subscriber.

6. mikells43 says:

doesn’t everyone love those voicemails that people say they leave that never come. what a freaking lie. i hate that

all this modern communication sometimes enables people to blow others off even more. why call when they can lie and say they left you 2 voicemails. COME THE FUK ON.

i had a seller on ebay do that to me. it was for an imac. her b/f said i called and left several messages. i said i never got them lady. i called verizon and they left a test voicemail on my box that i played for her. and i sent her my complete call log from my vzw online acct for her to view lol. she was speechless.

7. Anonymous says:

How about the contact info they used. I’m having a problem with Tmobile. They locked my account after a BBB complaint and now I can’t change my phone number. I moved and need to change it, but they say they don’t know why it won’t work. Help