Circuit City Bouncing Refund Checks, But Will Reissue Them

If you have a Circuit City refund check not deposited before 11/10, it’s going to bounce.

A posting on the internal Circuit City forums from an irate store manager upset over having to shrug his shoulders in response to a customer who had a $2,500 CC refund check bounce elicited this response from the CC accounting team:

Due to the Ch 11 filing, the bank had to put a stop on all checks that had not been deposited. We WILL be reissuing all bounced checks. I don’t have an exact date to tell you, but we intend to make good on every single mail refund that bounced.

Adjust your spreadsheets accordingly.

Comments

1. Ein2015 says:

Good to see that some store managers look out for their customers… I hope the good ones get a better store after CC goes down.

2. m4ximusprim3 says:

Relax, guys. It only affects all 3 sales since january!

*ducks*

3. Git Em SteveDave loves this guy->★ says:

The word intend isn’t reassuring.

4. citking says:

I hope they’re including the fees associated with bounced checks as well. The consumer shouldn’t have to get stuck with a $20 NSF fee.

• rpm773 says:

@citking: Yeah, what’s Circuit City’s policy about NSF checks when the consumer writes one that bounces.

That sounds like what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

• lauy says:

@citking:

Customers could be on the hook for chargeback check fees (deposited item returned), which usually run around $5.00, and then NSF/OD fees if they spent the refunded money before the chargeback. Could get VERY expensive for CC…good luck to anyone trying to recover those fees in the midst of a Ch. 11!!!

5. Blinden says:

what would one have to do to earn a $2500 refund check?

6. frodo_35 says:

I would say smart enough to get a refund but IT BOUNCED.
    I beleive I would insist on cash from the register.

7. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Whatever he returned valued at $2,500 is probably selling during liquidation for $3,200.

8. Mikestan says:

Why would they reissue rebate checks, they will most likely bounce again.

9. zeabrid says:

Wow, I sent this to you guys like two weeks ago.

Fail.

Anyways, it’s store policy that (unless the store is liquidating) the management can actually give you cash right there (they take your bounced check, give you cash).

• PølάrβǽЯ says:

@zeabrid: Yeah, because the Consumerist is SO overstaffed and they have SO little to write about that they should have posted your piece of news the second you emailed it to them.

Get over yourself. Your submissions aren’t any more important than anyone elses’.

10. trk182 says:

Oh that checked bounced? Sorry, let me write you another one.

Suckers.

• Git Em SteveDave loves this guy->★ says:

@trk182: Mr. Foxworthy, I’m here to reposses your car. If you don’t give me $900, I’m taking it.

I don’t have that kind of money.

Can you write me a check?

N….A Check? Well hell yeah, I can write you a check. I thought you needed money. Why don’t I go ahead and pay the whole thing off right now.

11. oneliketadow says:

Who’s going to pay the bounced check fee?

12. ScubaSteveKzoo says:

another reason to NOT shop there. And I used to work there, so I used to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I will not spend money at a store that won’t be around much longer. Except maybe DVDs, but now I’ve got netflix on my xbox….so bye CC

• Zeniq says:

@ScubaSteveKzoo: I think we all have reason enough not to shop there…

• roblarosa says:

@ScubaSteveKzoo:
      Ever since Circuit City decided to lay-off long term employees (who had years of raises in their salaries) in order to hire new employees at reduced wages, I’ve stopped shopping there. Why should I be loyal to a store that can’t be loyal to it’s long term employees?

13. Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

Sheesh, if I bounced a check to CC, they’d be pounding down my door most likely. I’d be calling the police LOL – “THEY WROTE ME A FRAUDULENT CHECK KNOWING THEY WOULDN’T HAVE THE FUNDS!!”

14. edrebber says:

It’s a criminal offense to bounce a check. Every affected customer should file a police report.

• humphrmi says:

@edrebber: Actually, check fraud laws vary from state to state, and usually involves proving intent at the time that the check was written, and also usually exempts checks bounced due to a federal court freezing assets.

• johnnya2 says:

@edrebber: Wondering what cracker jack box you got your law degree from? Bankruptcy law supercedes this, AND intent is essential to prove a criminal case.

15. ludwigk says:

Do people get hit by bounced check fees? What about that? Is CC going to make good on every $5 refund for batteries, along with the $29 the bank slaps you with?

16. humphrmi says:

After reading this, I have a question:

It’s a bit vague about what customers who still have checks from CC should do. Are they going to re-issue those checks, or only after they bounce? So does a customer who still has an uncashed check have to deposit it, knowing it will bounce, in order to get a new one?

17. billbobbins says:

None of these comanies in bankruptcy are getting a dime of my money. I pay all of my bills and manage my business without screwing my creditors, so why shouldn’t a large company? I’m sure glad I didn’t buy an American car because as soon as they declare bankruptcy, your car warranty is worth nothing.

• johnnya2 says:

@billbobbins: Interesting that YOU are so perfect, but sometimes bankruptcies are due to things beyond people or companies control. If you lost your job, or had an employee steal from you, or had a medical condition that was not caused by you, but does not allow you to make the kind of money you are used to.
      Also, the lack of credit money available is very important in two major industries, cars and housing. Without credit there is absolutely no way the economy can function. There would never be any innovation because that requires UPFRONT money to develop new products BEFORE they go to market. BTW, your foreign car companies could void your warranty at will as well if they went bankrupt. The BK laws of their home country would determine what should happen. Damler is largely to blame for many of the problems with Chrysler which was advertised as a merger of equals, but in reality was Damler buying Chrysler and fucking it up so bad they gave it away.

18. discounteggroll says:

Bounce me once…shame on you
    Bounce me twice…hey, this is actually kinda fun!

Bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy….

19. Wes_Sabi says:

Aren’t stop check payment requests only good for like 6 months or so? Deposit the reissued check then wait 6 months and deposit the original! (Yes, I know this won’t actually work as most companies print on the check that it’s void after 180 days.)

20. Phillip M. Vector says:

Wow… Making refunds hard to cash just reached a whole new level. :)