How the heck do they figure out your FICO credit score? The five different factors, in order of decreasing importance are: 1) payment history 2) amounts owed 3) length of credit history 4) new credit 5) types of credit used. For a bit more detailed explanation on how each of these plays out, the “What’s in your FICO score” at myFico.com is a good place to start.
What Goes Into Your FICO?
By Ben Popken November 18, 2008
More From Consumerist
- Potential FICO Credit Score Changes Could Hurt, Rather Than Help Some Consumers’ Creditworthiness
- 3 Ways You Could Be Hurting Your Credit Score Even If You Pay Your Bills On Time
- Facebook Patent Would Allow Lenders To Determine Creditworthiness By Looking At Your ‘Friends’
- FICO Expands Program To Give Millions Of Consumers Free Access To Credit Scores & Reports
- My Credit Card Interest Rate Is Going Up. What Are My Options?