When Fox5 confronted Martha Stewart on the street about tempered glass patio tables branded under her name that have been exploding all over customers since 2000, in some cases causing cuts, bleeding, and scares, she offered only denials and deflections. She said the glass cracked like a windshield, as opposed to the imploding documented in case after case, and said she had never heard of any injuries, despite that Fox5 had a copy of an email sent by her asking her company internally what they were doing about the “shattering” tables. The problem seems to be that the tempered glass table has jagged, rather than smooth, edges, and these grind against the metal frame and weaken the tabletop. A class action suit is in the works.
Martha Stewart Dodges Questions On-Camera About Exploding Glass Tables
By Ben Popken November 4, 2008
More From Consumerist
- Martha Stewart Omnimedia Sells Out, Will Be Corporate Sibling To Franklin Mint
- Why Are So Many People Reporting Kenmore Oven Door Explosions?
- Solo Diner Sues Portland Restaurant For $100K Claiming Staff Refused To Serve Her On Valentine’s Day
- Tempered Glass Shower Doors Are Shattering For No Reason
- Macy’s Recalls 121,000 Martha Stewart-Brand Frying Pans For Shooting Metal Discs At Cooks