Reach Gamefly Executive Customer Service

Here’s the info to escalate your complaint up to the top of the Gamefly corproate heap. Says the reader who sent this in, “I left a message and sent an email and 20 minutes later a manager called and fixed my problem in 5 minutes. It was like magic, delicious fairy sparkly consumery magic.”

CEO: David Hodess
5870 West Jefferson Blvd
Suite J
Los Angeles, CA 90016-3109
(310) 660-6410
dhodess@gamefly.com

Comments

1. little stripes says:

You know, this is why I love NetFlix. The ONE time I’ve ever had to call NetFlix customer service, it was awesome. This was like, 3 years ago. I’ve had a NetFlix account since it’s first year or two of business.

Is Gamefly worth it, to those of you who use it?

• Beerad says:

@little stripes: Yes, totally worth it, depending on your gaming habits. I get to play a ton of games that I’d never want to buy, particularly games that stink but I’m curious about, or games that are short and don’t really have replay value.

Plus, I think they do have good prices for games I’ve bought from them — I guess things might already be discounted since they’re used, and you get a customer discount plus occasional five buck certificates (presumably because they have a growing inventory of aging games they’d like to move).

Turnaround time could use a bit of improvement, but I have the 4 game plan so there’s rarely more than one or two in the mail at any given time.

Also a big Netflix junkie. : )

• Blitzgal says:

@little stripes: Yeah I agree with Beerad, getting to try the games before you buy them is a big bonus.

The only thing I don’t like is how far away the shipping areas are from me here in Wisconsin. It takes three days to mail a game back and an additional three days until the next game in my queue arrives in my mailbox.

But many of their rentals can simply be purchased and kept once you have them, usually at prices that are lower than those at Half.com. They ship the case and manual out to you for free if you buy the game. Plus you’ve already tested it and know whether the disc has any damage, etc.

The biggest problem I had was when games started going missing in the mail. I received notice several months back that a postal worker in California had been arrested and some of my rentals were in her possession. Thankfully my account was never suspended due to the missing games, and now I have proof that I wasn’t stealing them.

But I also have proof that they are still using the California shipping center for me even though there is a closer one in Texas! Grrr.

• lannister80 says:

@Blitzgal: I agree on the shipping center location. I had Gamefly in 2005 when I lived in VA near DC, and it took forever for the games to get there from their shipping center in CA.

At the time (when I complained), they said they were going to open both a midwest and east coast shipping center within the next year…guess that never happened.

2. Islandkiwi says:

I’m quite fond of Gamefly. I figure I save money by using their service, because I buy fewer games. And if you do choose to buy it, you get a discount.

3. Beerad says:

I’m a big fan of Gamefly. Overall, a great service and decent customer service experiences. Only complaint is they need a faster turnaround. I don’t expect Netflix superfast times, but come on guys, an East Coast distribution center would be a good idea, hey?

• davebg5 says:

@Beerad: Actually, they’ve added two east coast distribution centers in the past year…one in PIT and I think the other might be in FL.

• Dyscord says:

@Beerad: They have a distribution center in Pittsburgh. I believe you can chose which center you want to be your “home” center.

• Beerad says:

@Dyscord: No offense to the fine postal employees in Pittsburgh and Florida, but I’d be much happier with say, Queens NY. : )

Seriously, it’s like a six day turnaround. I get Netflix in two days. (Yes, I understand Netflix is a much bigger company, etc., but still.) When sometimes your games spend more time in the mail that you actually spend playing them…

I’m sure I’m signed up for Pittsburgh — I’ve been a member for years, and I think it used to be worse. I can’t quite visualize the exact mailing address on the return mailers, but Pittsburgh seems right.

• Dyscord says:

@Beerad: It seems you can’t change the shipping center anymore, but you can see what your home center is.

It used to be a lot worse. LA was the only shipping center for the longest time.

Pittsburgh isn’t a bad shipping center. It’s the post office that’s annoying. They apparently don’t have scanning equipment, so you can’t take advantage of Fast Return, in which Gamefly would send out your next game as soon as you mail it. So even though Pittsburgh is an hour from where I live, the time from when I ship a game to when I get one is about three days. Perhaps you could ask your post office to make sure it gets scanned or something.

Of course, I just restarted my membership after a year and they promise faster shipping….so we’ll see.

4. fett387 says:

I got a free month trial but encountered a few problems. The regular support wasn’t helpful and I ended up cancelling before my trial was even over. I wish I had this Exec Cust Service info back then. I might have stayed. One other problem is that shipping time was a little excessive. It took 7 days for them to receive and send out the next game from the day I put it in my mail box. Then it took 4 days for me to recieve the game. Is Netflix like this or are they faster? That was my first time subscribing to something like that so I don’t know what the normal shipping time is like.

• igoooorrrr says:

@fett387: For me netflix is 3-4 business days from when I put the movie in the mailbox until the next movie arrives in my mailbox.

It’s pretty ridiculous.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@fett387: Same here, but with Netflix, you get a good idea of when your movie will come because they send you an e-mail when they receive it, and another one when they’re prepared to send you your next disc. I don’t know if Gamefly does that, but I appreciate that Netflix lets you know when you’ll get your DVD.

• Dyscord says:

@fett387: It all depends on where you live. I get Netflix discs a day after they ship them. I sometimes get Gamefly discs that fast, but I usually allocate two days. Gamefly has something called “Fast Return” in which your post office scans the envelope and GF is notified that your return is in the mail and they send your next game before they get the one you sent. In practice, this has only happened once to me.

5. Dyscord says:

Gamefly is totally worth it. With games being expensive and a lot of them being crap, it’s nice to be able to rent them an unlimited amount of times per month for one small fee.

I’ve never had any problems with them. I don’t know how their customer service is compared to Netflix, but I’ve never heard anything TOO bad.

The funny thing is, when I first used the service in 03, the phone number was plastered on the front page.

6. theblackdog says:

I find Gamefly to be worth it because I get to rent games for all of my systems, and try them out before I buy them. It has saved me from buying a few games that looked good on the package, but sucked to play.

7. Red_Flag says:

I had issues with the postal system, where two games were lost. GameFly canceled my account due to that, so I took my business elsewhere.

• Anonymous says:

@Red_Flag: I had the same issue, lost three games and they canceled my account. I stoped using the service for a few years and even tried to join up again about a year ago but they wouldnt let me open an account with that same address because of shipping issues. last week I opened a new acount but used a PO Box for my address. They shipped my games on Monday and I got them in my PO Box on Tuesday. I love it. I live in Dallas BTW.

8. Skankingmike says:

Have Game Fly now a few months.

Really awesome so far, agree with the others about being able to rent is way better than buying. There really isn’t much of a resale value for a lot of games, for example rent the sports games each year vs buying them will save you a ton. Unless you play competitively the sports games are a rip off each year.

I get my games 2-3 days I live in New Jersey.

They are opening up more distribution centers, but obviously it depends on where you live for everything.

• Dyscord says:

@Skankingmike: Well there’s also the fact that you can’t return open games for cash anymore. Back in the 16-bit days this wasn’t a problem. You buy a game, it’s total crap, you take it back and buy something else.

The sports games are rip offs. Their value decreases the most after a year.

9. axiomatic says:

Gamefly and Netflix are my favorite services ever.

10. Anonymous says:

I signed up for GameFly via their free month promotion through Pizza Hut. It took almost 2 weeks for my first game to arrive, and my second game never arrived at all (they allow 2 out at a time.) I requested a replacement of the 2nd game, and in their internal confusion their automated system sent out the third game on my request list as well. SO I had 3 games out at a time instead of 2; and then one of THOSE 2 games didn’t arrive.

When I called customer service to complain they told me that the area I lived in was considered a “high risk” area, meaning they suffered a lot of losses in my zip code. They then extended my free month for another free month and sent out another replacement game. After I returned everything, I canceled.

11. geoelectric says:

Gamefly used to be much, much better. Seems like half the games I get from them are hellaciously scratched nowadays.

They also don’t always turn around games at the same time they receive them, and other problems like that.

It’s nice to have such a service around, but I sure wish they had more competitors to keep them high-quality.

• Dyscord says:

@geoelectric: They do have some competitors. There was a site that rated all of the online game rental services. There’s like 5 or 10 of them, but Gamefly gets the most publicity.

12. Meathamper says:

I used to use GameFly, and I loved it. Then one December, I rented Halo 3. It came in, scratched. Didn’t work. So I sent it back, and next on my queue was CoD4. Nuh uh. Didn’t work either. Every single game I got after (prob. because they were pretty popular games) never worker. So I just quit and torrented. Never looked back.

13. Anonymous says:

Been using it since I got my xbox 360. Some games have been scratched but have switched most of my games to ps3 because it seems the blu ray discs are less prone to scratching so no complaints now.

14. greatone23 says:

I had gamefly for a little under a year, and I have to honestly say it was awfull just terrible I never was able to receive games in the century in which I wanted them alot of games I got were eight or nine places down on my queue or quene or whatever. so I started to only put three or four titles on my quene only to have to wait weeks if not months sometimes for one or two games to arrive only to find out one or both were damaged beyond being playable and to finally wrap up this hellish nightmare gamefly being the morons that they charged me fourty three dollars for a four year old game that they themselves had quoted for only being worth seventeen I’m still arguing with them for just making up charges as they go. do urself a favor don’t become a subscriber to gamefly they’re crooks