Move To Japan So You Can Drink Yogurt Pepsi

Japan is a unique country with an adventurous palate, the perfect place to try out new Pepsi Yogurt flavor, aka “Pepsi White.” Reader Danny who sent this in says, “The flavor was quite sweet, and closer to that of 7-UP with some slightly milky tones (not really yogurt, just milk). Overall it was good, if odd.” In this concoction, it would appear culinary scientists have discovered found the absolute gastronomical inverse of Crystal Clear Pepsi. Congratulations, Science.

RELATED: Ice Cucumber Pepsi
Pepsi Blue Hawaii

Comments

1. Git Em SteveDave loves this guy--> says:

I would try one bottle. But knowing my luck, I’d fall in love with it like Surge, and they would pull it out of the market.

2. zigziggityzoo says:

*shudder* ew.

3. satoru says:

Hmmmm isn’t this just Calpis/Calpico? That’s pretty much what that tastes like too, fizzy yogurt.

• ext212 says:

@satoru: Or like Yakult

• csdiego says:

@ext212: I was just going to mention Yakult. I drank that stuff growing up in South America, and I loved it. I’ve never seen it here in the US.

• gc3160thtuk says you got your humor in my sarcasm and you say you got your sarcasm in my humor says:

@satoru: heh…I thought your message said catpiss at first LOL but then I reread it but I was think hmmmm maybe because it sure don’t sound very tasty either way. ;)

• Zach, your favorite liberal Texan politics-and-news junkie/Doctor Who super-fan says:

@gc3160 – that homo that u know: Interestingly, Calpis is re-branded as “Calpico” in English-speaking countries because of the similarities to the pronunciation of “cow piss” – so your original reaction/reading isn’t uncommon. :)

4. CorrieCJ says:

Milk and Pepsi, a Laverne & Shirley favorite.

5. satoru says:

For those who haven’t been in Japan, the irony is that while Coke and Pepsi are widely known brands, to actually buy it from a vending machine or a convenience store is somewhat rare. Carbonated drinks in general are not in the coveted ‘eye level’ row, but relegated to the bottom part of the fridge. Not to mention that your typical vending machine has 20-30 other choices, Coke/Pepsi seem bland by comparison. Canned coffee and tea choices can be almost overwhelming, especially when offered in both hot and cold varieties.

That’s probably why they have to make up these odd concoctions in Japan. The competition is pretty fierce even amongst the brand itself, so you have to come up with pretty bizarre drinks to compete.

Personally when I visit I avoid Coke just so I can try out whatever new and insane drink they decided to come up with. They have a honey and ginger drink which is pretty tasty! Though I do wish they had more carbonated drink choices, but that’s just me I guess. They just don’t seem to like fizzy drinks aside from the usual stuff like melon soda or fanta.

6. dmolavi says:

this might be like dugh ([en.wikipedia.org]), a Persian yogurt drink. /me is half Persian and loves it.

7. PageMagumbalee says:

I shudder to think of what it contains!

8. quirkyrachel says:

Flavors in Japan are awesome! When I lived there we would try all sorts of things, like pizza flavored chips and sweet potato ice cream. :)

9. jamar0303 says:

Any importers?

10. NobleCrayfish says:

Is it my imagination or has the drink separated? It appears as if there is a layer of clear liquid at the top of the bottle. If so, how would you be expected to mix it, since shaking a soda is a bad idea?

11. Anonymous says:

I see by the ring of clear liquid at the top that the milky stuff sinks to the bottom when left undisturbed. Does that mean you have to shake this carbonated beverage to properly mix it?

12. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

At first I thought this would be about a new version of Pepsi Clear…

Oh well..

13. vladthepaler says:

I wish they’d bring back Crystal Pepsi.

14. ShariC says:

I just sampled this today and reviewed it in a blog entry. The short version is that it is not like Calpis and is not like Pepsi clear. It is, quite frankly, a mixture of Pepsi and yogurt flavor. It’s very strange, but not so vile as to be unpalatable.

(Full review is here if anyone wants details: [japanesesnackreviews.blogspot.com])

15. Confuzius says:

Yoghurt soda is pretty popular in all of the Middle Eastern grocery stores around here, more so in the Iranian one than the Lebanese one…
    Iranian = Persian, so Dugh it is!

I still haven’t been brave enough to try it.

16. darkryd says:

…and I just vomited on my keyboard.

ewwwwww.

17. itmustbeken says:

Can Pepsi Sea Bass be far behind?

Mmm…that’s good bass.

18. civicmon says:

this is pepsi’s equivilant of Pocari Sweat or Calpis, both of which are very popular pop drinks sold in Japan. This is identical in description. I don’t live in Japan but been there four or five times now and while I don’t recall seeing this drink, the description is akin to other popular Japanese pop drinks.

19. hhole says:

I’m not sure this is the same formulation from awhile ago but it seems like the flavor profile scientists at Pepsi never found a mix that could beat Calpico (love the peach and strawberry flavors).

Think I’ll go mix a glass up right now!

20. xredgambit says:

@Git Em SteveDave loves this guy–>:

Josta FTW. I miss it. Pepsi or whoever needs to bring that back.

21. pschroeter says:

I miss Coke Blak. I have been able to come close to the flavor by dissolving a little instant coffee and powdered creamer in hot water and adding it to regular Coke, but it makes it fizz up a bit too much.

22. nuance says:

This is a carbonated version of calpico, a yogurt drink which you can find in most asian markets (next to the ramune… probably).

If you’ve never had an asian “yogurt” drink, its definitely worth a try. It’ll probably be different than what you’re expecting.