Taco Bell: Dude Steals Base In World Series, So Enjoy Your Free Taco

A base was stolen last night in Game 1 of the World Series (yes, it seems that they do still bother to televise baseball after the Red Sox are eliminated,) meaning that everyone in America is eligible to receive a free taco. You have the Tampa Bay Rays and shortstop Jason Bartlett to thank this year. Be sure to send him a note.

Much to our delight, the Curiously Australian President of Taco Bell, Greg Creed, was on hand to make the announcement. We love Greg Creed. He’s so… curiously Australian.

To get your free beef crunch taco, go to any participating Taco Bell from 2pm to 6pm on October 28th. Oh, and if you were wondering (as we were) if the base had to be officially stolen in order to qualify for tacos — it did. There were to be no free tacos awarded for defensive indifference.

Steal A Base, Steal A Taco
(AP Photo/Charles Krupa)

Comments

1. ZenMasterKel says:

And you can probably hit multiple Taco Bells throughout the day. It’s not like they will stamp your hand or anything. Although you gut and gas tank will most certainly suffer.

2. GyroMight says:

Defensive indifference I hate that rule in baseball, a stolen base is a stolen base whether they try to get you out or not.

3. Mysterry says:

woot. tacos for all.

4. gaya2081 says:

Does anyone know why we have to wait until Oct 28th for our free taco?

5. Cattivella says:

Only 2p-6p?! Man, that doesn’t start until my lunch is over and it ends before I get off work. I want my free 89 cent taco for doing absolutely nothing!

• rickatnight11 says:

@Cattivella: Where do you work? I’ll swing by and drop one off for you.

• KyleOrton says:

@Cattivella: Hey, if your boss won’t make an exception for this, you’re either a really popular radio DJ or they’ve got some MESSED UP priorities!

• Corporate-Shill says:

@Cattivella:

And you thought they were going to give away the free food during peak business hours?

• EdnaBabakin says:

I stopped watching after the phillies player fouled off a pitch when a double steal was attempted with 1 our and 1 strike. He should have just stood there, even if the catch had attempted a throw the other person would have stolen a base(unless this is considered a double steal?). If that guy wasn’t willing to sacrifice one strike for everyone in America to receive a taco I didn’t want to waist my time watching!! Luckily this morning I found out I will be getting my taco afterall pheewwww

• Ein2015 says:

@Cattivella: My boss will make an exception. :) I can only imagine the 40 employees of the company going en-masse to the nearest Taco Bell…

6. Grabraham says:

I am confused.. I thought baseball was done after sunday night.. is this a new post-post season exhibition series or something?

7. blackmage439 says:

“We love Greg Creed. He’s so… curiously Australian.”

It’s better than a dirty bastard Australian like Faux News, er I mean False News, doh, Fox Noise, oh forget it, owner Rupert Murdoch.

(Cue Keith Olbermann impression of Murdoch)

“Arrrrgh! Obama colludes with terrorist! Arrrrgh! Regulation is bad! Arrrgh! MSNBC is the defacto Democrat station!* Arrrrgh! Fox News is all about fair, honest reporting! ARRRRRRGH!!!”

*The station with the highest-rated coverage of the REPUBLICAN national convention was MSNBC…

8. beboptheflop says:

Yesterday was only Game 1. If there are more stolen bases do we get more than one taco?

• GyroMight says:

@beboptheflop: Also we should be able to claim tacos for those unable to claim them for themselves.

• hellinmyeyes says:

@beboptheflop:

That’s what I was wondering. Maybe a World Series of Free Tacos next week if a base is stolen in each of the games?

• shorty63136 says:

@beboptheflop: I sent a mass email about this promotion yesterday:

If an eligible base was stolen during the Games, Taco Bell will make an announcement through selected media channels, including a press release and its Web site (www.tacobell.com), that eligible consumers can obtain their free Crunchy Seasoned Beef Taco on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 (if base is stolen in Games 1-4 on October 22, 23, 25 or 26), OR Monday, November 3, 2008 (if base is stolen in Games 5-7, October 27, 29 or 30), (“Redemption Date”) only. To obtain the Free Taco, consumers must visit any participating Taco Bell® restaurant in one of the fifty (50) United States or the District of Columbia between 2:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. (local time) on the Redemption Date only and request a Free Crunchy Seasoned Beef Taco.

[www.tacobell.com]

9. liesandslander says:

hmmmm,,,, tacos

10. chrisjames says:

Nov 1 headlines:

Thousands Die in Fast Food Frenzy

America Sets Diabetes Record

The Taco Now Extinct?

11. Mr. Guy says:

i said this last year, but i feel like it’s kind of fraudulent for them to say everybody in america wins a taco. OF COURSE not every living person in america is going to go claim their taco, but just for the sake of argument…

Taco bell’s website says they have “over 5800″ locations in the U.S. let’s call it an even 6000 locations. and let’s say the US has 300 million residents.

so, if 300 million people decided to get a taco in one 4-hour period, that would mean that each location would have to serve 50,000 tacos. They’d have to average 12,500 tacos per hour. If the average taco bell has six cashiers, they’d each have to serve 2,083 tacos per hour, or 34 tacos per minute, or, when you come right down to it, a taco about every two seconds.

writing this comment has made me hungry for a taco.

• leprofie says:

@Mr. Guy: But the rules say that if you are in line at 6 pm, you will still get your taco, so … theoretically possible if everyone is in line … it may just take months!

• ThinkerTDM says:

@Mr. Guy: At the location near me in Silver spring, MD- they serve you your food approximately every 20 minutes.

I’d better get in line now!

• ceilingFANBOY says:

@Mr. Guy: I ordered 20 tacos once that were made and bagged before I got done paying and walking over to the other window. If every Taco Bell is that fast, then it is possible.

12. narq says:

Did any of you read the terms and agreements? You can’t get a free taco if the manager believes you’ve done something fraudulent… like receiving a free taco.

Taco Bell restaurant manager reserves the right to deny Free Taco to any person he/she reasonably believes has already received a Free Taco or has engaged in any other fraudulent activity.

Under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and participant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, special, consequential, or any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses; (c) all causes of action arising out of or connected with this Promotion or any Free Taco or any advertising, marketing, promotion or publicity materials in connection therewith, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and (d) any and all claims, judgments, and award shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, excluding attorneys’ fees and court costs.

By accepting the free taco, you agree to these and other rules. Be aware of the rights you’re giving up accepting that taco. Do not commit taco fraud!

• JuantheGardener says:

@narq:
      So probably a good idea to be sure to wipe the taco and beef debris from around your mouth, thoroughly rinse your mouth with water, and perhaps chew a little gum prior to entering each taco bell for subsequent free tacos.

13. ViperBorg says:

Meg, awesome picture.

“Taco”
    “Shut up”

Sorry, I fell out of my chair laughing.

14. grih says:

looks like i am going to be walking over to the mall for lunch on tuesday

15. sir_eccles says:

They really need to co-ordinate better with the people at Dr Pepper, I’m going to have to wait til November to wash the Taco down with a frosty beverage while listening to Guns and Roses. Do you think the Taco will keep til then?

• ceilingFANBOY says:

@sir_eccles: If you are listening to Guns & Roses, the taco won’t be the thing you will need help washing down. The local rock station here did a Hanson vs. G&R poll and Hanson got double the votes G&R did. Yes, some people were probably just being asses, but there were a few that really sounded serious about it.

16. gonz says:

So wait a minute, its just 1 free taco. If within the whole series if 30 bases are stolen, its still just 1 free taco. What a cheap gimmick. It would be worth my wild if it was free taco for every stolen base the day after the game. Heck if they said I had to buy a meal, I would have been game at least once during the week to munch on some taco.

• My Iron Lung is Rusted says:

@gonz: Worth your “while.” “Worth Your Wild in Tacos” will be an NHL season promotion, likely in Minnesota.

+1 for munching the taco, though.

17. SedatedGodzilla says:

I just picked up a free taco by mentioning this at the Taco Bell in Penn Station. I didn’t know it was only an Oct. 28th thing, but now I have a free taco and I feel a little conflicted about this.

18. azntg says:

Perfect! I’m actually free from 2pm to 5pm on Tuesday, October 28.

Think I might actually head down to the Taco Bell near Union Square then and redeem one.

19. Burning pakalolo not even noticing the weather says:

wow, they are actually going to do this in NYC as well? Awesome.

20. ponycyndi says:

I am now working on my plan to leave work early on Tuesday, and map out all the Taco Bells in my area so me and my kids can stuff ourselves with free tacos.

BRB.

21. ElizabethD says:

Cue the stampede on Oct 28, with mile-long lines at Taco Bell for one free taco.

22. HiEllie says:

@gaya2081:
    They are hoping people forget.

23. 11hawkinst says:

I’m just gonna go ahead and say…

LETS GO PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Vilgrom says:

would they be able to make it a bean taco?

not like I’ll be free at the time, anyway.

25. ninjatoddler says:

I’ll be stepping out temporarily of my self-imposed exile from Taco Bell so this better not be a joke.

26. Kishi says:

Ah, the internet, where offers of a free taco are met with cries of “What, only one? You guys suck.”

27. FCL says:

Hey! If “Chinese Democracy” sees daylight by the end of the month, we can all wash our taco down with a Dr. Pepper. Who says there’s no such thing as a free lunch?

28. CyGuy says:

Don’t forget FREE BURRITO day at Chipotle’s on Halloween. Wear anything at all resembling a burrito costume and get one free burrito – sure beats a free crunchy taco from Taco Bell.

I haven’t gotten an email about it yet, so I hope it hasn’t been a victim of the economic meltdown, if there is one thing we need in a collapsing economy, it’s a free lunch.