ATT Filters Own ToS Changes As Spam

Red Tape Chronicles reports on how AT&T internet decided to announce a change of its Terms of Service (ToS) via email. Some of the policies were contentious enough for some, but then many customers didn’t even receive the email, because AT&T’s own filters marked it as spam. Its questionable whether you can announce you’re changing someone’s contract by email fiat, especially if your own system prevents them from even receiving the message in the first place.

AT&T customer caught in ‘spam-22′ [Red Tape Chronicles] (Photo: afagen)

Comments

1. nataku8_e30 says:

I noticed this happening with my U-verse account. In all fairness though, I was checking it through Yahoo’s webmail client. I don’t know if that absolves AT&T at all, but it certainly shouldn’t.

2. pjorg says:

I’m pretty sure that, while this is ridiculous, they aren’t even required to take steps to “reach out” to you to notify you of changes; posting them to a website is normally all that is required per the original contract terms.

Although, if they choose to notify you in that way, they might have some obligation to take reasonable steps to ensure that delivery occurs.

But I’m not a lawyer.

3. HarcourtArmstrong says:

AT&T outsources it’s email to Yahoo!. There’s your problem.

4. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

For some reason, this reminds me of the stolen credit cards used to buy the empty box at Wal-Mart.

5. blackmage439 says:

Heh, sounds like a breach of contract to me. AT&T did not dutifully disclose those changes in their ToS. Just in time, too. My family and I have AT&T at the top of our shitlist after they gave my mom hell over our recent phone upgrades. (Two failed phone activations left my parents without long distance service for over a month, and I never received a case and Bluetooth headset I was promised during the ordering process.)

To put it simply: DO NOT PURCHASE OR UPGRADE YOUR PHONES THROUGH AT&T’s WEBSITE! If it works for you, great, you dodged a bullet… a you-could-have-spent-over-6-hours-on-the-phone-fixing-the-problem-and-ended-up-with-nothing-but-a-migraine bullet.

6. Coles_Law says:

This is what happens when AT&T implements a policy to enlarge your penis 3-5 inches.

7. azntg says:

Note to AT&T:

1) Please work with your outsourced e-mail company to prevent e-mail companies from marking ToS change notification e-mail as SPAM

2) Don’t be cheap a-holes. Send a hard copy to each person

3) You’ll be called an a-hole anyway, for killing trees and for materially changing contracts. Deal with it. Either you change contracts and do it right, or you shut up and not make any changes!

• Nick1693 says:

@azntg: “Don’t be cheap a-holes. Send a hard copy to each person

Its 2,500 pages long. I’m glad they didn’t send it by mail.

• azntg says:

@Nick1693: Well, it kinda makes you think twice before making such huge changes doesn’t it?

Or maybe they can send a hard copy of all changes made to the ToS too… which would probably still be novel sized too, even if only including updates since the last update.

Seriously, this insanity really has to end.

8. Ein2015 says:

Any word on what the email said?

9. Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

I’ve had this happen with yahoo … I switched to gmail when it started insisting all of its own e-mails were spam.