After Losing His Home, Man Trashes House, Spray Paints Message To Bank

Here’s an odd story from the Bay Area. A man who says his house was “sold without his knowledge” to a bank after he signed a “deal” to prevent foreclosure has trashed the property — spray painting a message to the new owner.

The words painted on a wall near the front door are hard to make out but it appears to declare: “Brought to you by Deutsche Bank… Eat it.”

Details are sketchy, but NBC says:

Williams said his financial troubles began when he got behind on his mortgage payments then signed a deal that promised to help him stay in his home. The deal failed.

Just last week, Williams said he found out that his home had been sold without his knowledge to a bank and he had to get out.

The front yard of Williams’ home is strewn with boxes, furniture and trash cans. There’s even some of the home’s air conditioning duct work lying on the lawn. That’s not the only part of the property left in shambles. The inside of the house is just as messy.

Obviously, we have no idea what really happened, but it sounds like Mr. Williams may have fallen victim to a foreclosure “rescue” scam. The FTC says:

Fraudulent foreclosure “rescue” professionals use half truths and outright lies to sell services that promise relief and then fail to deliver. Their goal is to make a quick profit through fees or mortgage payments they collect from you, but do not pass on to the lender. Sometimes, they assume ownership of your property by deceiving you, the homeowner. Then, when it’s too late to save your home, they take the property or siphon off the equity. You’ve lost your home to foreclosure despite your best intentions.

Whatever the real story is, the house is in pretty bad shape.

If you’re facing foreclosure, be sure to acquaint yourself with rescue scams and avoid them. If you’ve been taken in by such a scam, report it to the Federal Trade Commission and your state Attorney General. If you’re looking for help with your mortgage, the FTC recommends first contacting your lender. If you need more assistance, they also recommend speaking with a credit counselor through the Homeownership Preservation Foundation (HPF), a nonprofit organization that operates the national 24/7 toll-free hotline (1.888.995.HOPE) with free, personalized assistance to help at-risk homeowners avoid foreclosure.

Take This Home And Shove It [NBC Bay Area via Buzzfeed]

Comments

1. laserjobs says:

I wonder if the bank will follow up with criminal charges?

2. Git Em SteveDave loves this guy--> says:

Now someone correct me if I am wrong. Selling your house goes into paying back the loan you defaulted on, right? So doing this is like shooting yourself int he foot. Also, can the person who the property was sold to now have this guy arrested for destruction of property? I think we need some new laws on this. Not just for people trashing houses. In many cases lately, people have been leaving their pets in the home, then leaving. The animals destroy the house trying to get out, and by the time someone buys the house and goes to check it out, the animals are either dead, or so close they have to be put down. I heard about this on NPR, and I have to say it sickens me.

• madanthony says:

@Git Em SteveDave loves this guy–>:

My understanding is that California is a no-recourse state, meaning that once you walk away from the house, the bank can’t come after you for the difference between what they sell the house for and what you owe on it.

As far as the pet thing, I don’t get that either – how you could have a pet living with you, looking up at you with those kitty-cat eyes, and then just leave it to die.

• Git Em SteveDave loves this guy--> says:

@madanthony: @SybilDisobedience: @BrianDaBrain: @howie_in_az: [www.npr.org]

Some do it to spite the new owners, some do it b/c they think the animal will be “good” on it’s own.

• SybilDisobedience says:

@Git Em SteveDave loves this guy–>: Oh, I can just picture it.
          “Well, I’m getting foreclosed on; me and the kids will have to be out pretty quick. But this is an opportunity for Rex! He’ll finally get to live like a true wild animal! You know…locked in a dark, stuffy house. With no temperature control. And no food. And no water. And no opportunity for escape.
          “…Just like nature intended.”

Ugh.

• Speak says:

@SybilDisobedience: That and the people who tie up their dogs before evacuating a hurricane. After what happened with Katrina, you’d think people would know better, but I saw something on Animal Planet recently about animal rescuers having to go into Galveston.

• Git Em SteveDave loves this guy--> says:

@Speak: Some lady in FL did something real smart the last hurricane. She took auction markers for livestock, wrote her phone number on her horses, then turned them loose. The horses “hoofed” it outta dodge and stayed safe, and I believe she got them all back.

• SybilDisobedience says:

@Speak: Oh, it just makes me sick. And before anyone gets defensive, I get upset about human suffering too, OK?
              It’s just, I think about some poor dog, who freaking IDOLIZES his owners and, I’m sure, willingly allowed himself to be tied up or locked in an abandoned house, slowly weakening and dying alone. It makes me tear up just thinking about it.
              I can barely watch that Animal Cops show.

• Wormfather is Wormfather says:

@Git em SteveDave loves this guy: The idea of my pet being locked in a house with no way out is sickning. Actually one of my worst fears (I know sick) is me and my wife dying, no one checking on us for like two weeks and our dog dying.

• Git Em SteveDave loves this guy--> says:

@Wormfather is Wormfather: I hate to say it, but I’m sure your animals will eat if you die in your home. I myself have no reason to think my cats wouldn’t eat me if I were dead. After they finished me, only then would they raid the cabinets, as the dumb red one can open cabinets.

I mean look, I sleep in and they move in for an “easy meal”.

• JulesNoctambule says:

@Wormfather is Wormfather: I’m terrified of my cats being left on their own — not just because they are devious and clever creatures, but also in case something were to happen to them. I insisted that we install a security system in our house for their safety as much as ours; one of its features is that if the smoke alarm goes off, the fire station will also receive a message that there are three cats in the house to rescue. Knowing that they have that extra measure of protection is worth every penny of the cost.

• RedwoodFlyer says:

@JulesNoctambule:

Back when I was a kid, we went on vacation for 2 weeks and when I came back, I found out that I put the stupid automatic feeder on a switched outlet, and all the food was still in it. One of the fish died and to this day, I get chills whenever I see an aquarium because of how bad I feel. Heck, I feel terrible when I get home and the ferrets are out of food (they need to eat every 3-4 hours) How some douchebags can leave their pets to die..I have no clue.

• SybilDisobedience says:

@Git Em SteveDave loves this guy–>: If the thing about the animals is true, that’s really sickening. I hope to god it’s not, but considering what certain people are willing to do to animals when they’re stressed and upset, it really wouldn’t be a surprise.

• Archipelago says:

@Git Em SteveDave loves this guy–>:
      Our family business is land surveying. We survey properties in Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan for buyers. One of the scariest things you can find when surveying an abandoned foreclosed property is evidence of a dog. You know it’s going to be a rottweiler or a pit bull and it is going to be hungry or dead.

• snoop-blog says:

@Git Em SteveDave loves this guy–>: I have a feeling this guy wan’t going to payback any portion of the defaulted loan reguardless of how large or small the amount is. See that’s part of the whole “Fuck it!” crowd. That’s just how they roll. They don’t give a fuck. I can’t do it. I’m just not hardcore enough.

• BrianDaBrain says:

@Git Em SteveDave loves this guy–>: Getting your house foreclosed on is harsh, but that is just uncalled for. I would seriously go apeshit if I saw somebody doing that to their pet. F-ing ridiculous.

• howie_in_az says:

@Git Em SteveDave loves this guy–>: I believe animal cruelty is a felony in most states.

• ShizaMinelli says:

I don’t know…I can’t imagine it being so b/c it seems like so many politicians don’t value animals like people are purposely try to keep them categorized as “property”, though I’m not entirely certain.

I think it SHOULD be, and in a perfect world animal abusers would get the same treatment they gave the animals, but I just can’t beleive it for some reason.

• LeoSolaris says:

@Git Em SteveDave loves this guy–>: While huose hunting, my girlfriend and I looked through two places that were foreclosed on that were destroyed. The first one was a huge 5-bedroom, 3-story house at the top of a cul-de-sac. Huge lot, nice paint on the outside, well kept lawn, the works…

Inside the “people” who lived there had left a dog, so there was a heavy infestation of fleas, it smelled rotted and decayed, and you could almost feel suffering lingering in the air.

The second one was just torn up, inside and out. It had been a “corporate” house and the dude was fired. He tore up all the carpet, mangled the drywall, and took every appliance in the place. The drywall in the dining room had a nice big “F— You” carved into it…

they were kinda too bad actually. We would have loved to have that corner lot house, or the giant one, but it would have cost more in repairs and rent for an apartment than we had saved up to make them even livable.

• LeoSolaris says:

@LeoSolaris: My I can’t spell today apparently.

huose=house

By the way, when I said heavy flea infestation…. that was after three treatments to remove them!

• Speak says:

@LeoSolaris: So whoever bought the houses would have been responsible for all repairs to the property? I’d hope the houses were being sold at a deep discount to make them worth purchasing. It might be cheaper to just bulldoze them and start anew.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

@Git Em SteveDave loves this guy–>: sadly, this is nothing new. 8 years ago i volunteered with animal rescue in orange county florida and had to go help remove the neglected and deceased cats from a cattery that had been run in a home that was foreclosed on.
      there were cats that had been left locked in cages, for weeks, to die, as well as cats that had broken free and escaped the house that needed to be captured and taken to a shelter.
      the homeowners left everything that wasn’t of value and easy to move and pretty much destroyed the place getting their stuff out.

3. abernie says:

I sympathize with the guy for losing his house but I just don’t understand why people think its ok to trash a property just because you got foreclosed on. Yes, its unfortunate what happened to the owner but doesn’t he think he might have just a little bit of responsibility in how things played out?

• BrianDaBrain says:

@abernie: Nobody thinks they have responsibility to actually make payments on time… well, at least the people who aren’t making payments on time. Then their house is foreclosed, and they pull shit like this, and blame the bank for not being more lenient. I feel bad for these folks, I really do, but it’s a preventable situation.

• News Junkie says:

@BrianDaBrain: Have to say that your statement isn’t even close in a majority of cases. I’m currently in forclosure status on my house because my husband (who makes all the money) decided he didn’t want to be married anymore and filed for divorce and moved out….leaving the mortgage unpaid for 4 months unbeknownst to me until I got the notice in the mail after he was gone. By that time I was almost $10,000 in the hole on payments and had a job that pays only half of what the full amount due monthly is. As soon as I found out about the non-payment by my spouse, I contacted my lender to try and work out something with them; they wouldn’t budge (it’s Countrywide so that should say something right there!). I spent hours and then days on the phone with so many of their “specialists” and different departments trying to find some way that I could save my home. It’s now 7 months later and my house is for sale with a local real estate company and hopefully I’ll be able to get enough from a sale (if it can be sold) to cover the debt or at least get close enough to get a short sale. In my case, and in a lot of others (where people were fired or laid off permenantly) there just isn’t any money to make the payment or not enough to appease the money hungry loan holders. I’ve spent the last 5 months trying to find work and there just isn’t any jobs that pay a decent wage because the economy crunch is effecting businesses as well and they’re not wanting to hire new staff. I’ve got a job at $7.50 an hour, no vehicle, and two kids and praying that I find something soon…..

• Speak says:

@ShubhadaBabanacka: Sorry to hear about your situation. Hope you’re able to wring some money out of your ex-husband, who sounds about as responsible as the guy above. I guess the mortgage was in both your names? And I don’t know how anyone can afford to buy a place these days. My earnings have barely risen in the last few years while living and housing costs have soared.

• Jackasimov says:

@ShubhadaBabanacka: God that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

I hate when people trivialize other people’s troubles. Personally, I think it’s a case of them just thinking they’re mind-reading geniuses and that the first thought that pops in their head must be the truth. I’d say people like this and their constant wrong-thinking about the world are more at fault for the troubles we’re in today than the people who are struggling and trying to get by. Just stupid.

Good luck with your situation. It’ll get better.

• rshettle says:

@BrianDaBrain: Indeed!

• Jackasimov says:

@BrianDaBrain: Spoken like a lifelong renter.

• sp00nix says:

@abernie: I thought he was scammed out of his house? Now hes scamming the scammers.

• ludwigk says:

@Viva La Volvo: No, the scammers are fine. They hoodwinked the owner out of the title, then sold it to some other interest. They are out of the picture with whatever profits they could skim off the top. He’s “scamming” (hurting) the buyer, whoever ends up with his property, who may not have a role in scamming him at all.

• marchhare22 says:

@abernie: For every action there is a equal reaction. He was screwed. He screwed them. Simple.

• merq says:

@marchhare22: Agreeance. I am sickened by the (probably small percentage who would abandon an pet) but… when did folks become so empathetic to the “plight” of the banks?

• Drowner says:

@abernie: As a potential buyer in about 5 years, I’m getting kinda miffed that people decide to poo all over their houses. I mean, I understand YOU can’t live in it anymore and that makes you mad but now it’s someone else’s opportunity to have a home and I’m sure they don’t appreciate you ripping pieces of the air conditioner ductwork out of the house.

4. Toof_75_75 says:

They should…I mean, technically, he came onto their property and vandalized it…It’s definitely an unfortunate, ugly situation, but I’m pretty sure this wasn’t the best way to handle it.

5. madanthony says:

Gee, this guy sounds like such a mature, responsible person. I can’t imagine how he would have trouble making mortgage payments.

6. Illusio26 says:

I’m glad i’m not this guy’s neighbor. I feel bad for him if he fell for a scam, but he is the one who didn’t make his payments in the first place. No reason to act like a jackass to the rest of your neighborhood.

7. Git Em SteveDave loves this guy--> says:

Did he write “Douche” bank or “Deutsche” bank, b/c I don’t see a “t” in his writing.

8. sir_pantsalot says:

This would not have turned ugly if Woot would have sent him the black ear buds to match his black ipod.

9. BeeBoo says:

Like Deutsche Bank gives a flying f***.

10. sleze69 says:

Forget trash in the yard. An easy 3/4 slice through the support beams in the basement with a chainsaw is definately the way to send a message.

Just make sure you do it while you still own the house. You can’t vandalize your own house, right?

Just don’t try to collect an insurance claim.

• FLEB says:

@sleze69: You can’t vandalize your own house, right?

I imagine it would fall into some manner of safety or standards violation that you could be– in the very least– fined for.

• Nighthawke says:

@sleze69: Besides, that’s Florida man. You would not catch anyone dead on the bay with a basement.

• downwithmonstercable says:

@sleze69: And then get sued when the new people move in and die :P

• Git Em SteveDave loves this guy--> says:

@sleze69: You can in cases of domestic disputes. I.E. if I throw a lamp/push it over while argueing with my SO, even if it wasn’t at her, and it was my own lamp, I could still get arrested.

I do like your solution b/c it isn’t necessarily “destructive”. Like rather than flattening someones tires, I take the “stem” out of the valve, and leave it there. It empties the air out, and unless you have spare stems/a tool to re-insert it, you can’t re-inflate it. But it isn’t destructive. Your method will still support the house, but a quick daughterboarding should repair it.

• iheartapocalypse says:

@sleze69:

Unless the house falls on the new owner and you are arrested for depraved indifference homicide…

11. rickinsthelens says:

I once was doing a historic survey of a house that had been purchased by the State of Utah so a bridge could be built. The kids of the previous owners went into it, had a party and trashed the house. The state made the previous owners fix all the damage. They thought the house was going to razed, but the state planned on moving it and selling it for affordable housing.

If you saw more people held accountable for damages, it might happen less. Then again, how are you going to make someone pay who just lost everything? I gusess it all comes down to your own values.

12. The_Red_Monkey says:

I like how people blame the banks when they get foreclosed on. They are not keeping up their end of the contract. Even if the bank “swindled” you, its your signature and you should know what you are getting into. I did not jump in and buy a home and I get no bailout. Instead I make good sound financial decisions, outside of buying cigars and coffee once in a while.

• jodark says:

@The_Red_Monkey: I seriously regret not going for the $300K home while I was in college only to get forclosed on, get bailed-out and get to keep it. Hindsight is 20/20.

• johnnya2 says:

@The_Red_Monkey: Not everybody is claiming they were swindled. Some people lost jobs through no fault of their own. Their CEO’s cleaned out their company by making 100′s of millions of dollars, then they parachuted out while some other bank came and took the company for 10 per cent of its value and let most of the people fend for themselves. I will also say that many people were victims of over inflated home values by criminal appraisals and mortgage lenders. If I was told my house was worth 300k, but the reality of the situation was it was only 250k, and I borrowed 80 per cent LTV, I have a mere 10 k in equity versus 60k. If I decided to sell that property and the appraisal was bogus from day one and the market even sinks a tiny bit, I cant sell my house, or worse yet I could be upside down on it. It is the same concept as financing a car. You can’t even give it back after you drive it off the lot and pay off your loan.

13. njovin says:

I used to clean foreclosed houses with my cousin back in high school (around 1995). You’d be amazed how many people do this.

More often than not the houses would be torn up, doors kicked down, carpet ruined (you don’t want to know how many ways people can ruin carpet). At one house the owner had given their kids markers and literally had them run around the whole house marking up the walls.

At least once a week we had a house that smelled so bad you couldn’t stay inside for more than about 5 minutes. We’d buy these deodorizing bombs and set them off then come back a few days later to finish up.

14. Birki says:

I saw this story on the local news and remember hearing the house had been in the family for 30-40 years. So, in that timeframe, shouldn’t the mortgage have been paid off by now? This house would have appreciated astronomically in the last decade (SF Bay Area) so did the guy take out a home equity loan or something and now owes more than the house is worth? Regardless, it’s immature to trash the house but if there aren’t any criminal or monetary repercussions, I can see why it happens.

• SybilDisobedience says:

@Birki: If I had to guess, I’d say a bad refi or something of the sort, but since he fell for a rescue scam, it could be pretty much anything.

• Roeroica says:

@Birki: He could have got a cash out refi to pull more of his equity out and then just blown the cash.

15. Skybolt says:

You all are being too hard on this guy.

“Gee, this guy sounds like such a mature, responsible person.”

“Yes, its unfortunate what happened to the owner but doesn’t he think he might have just a little bit of responsibility in how things played out?”

“No reason to act like a jackass to the rest of your neighborhood.”

Seriously? It’s easy to tsk-tsk about other people’s responsibilities, but this isn’t hard to understand. He thought he was getting one thing, got something way worse, got thrown out of his home, and took revenge. I’m sure he’s very sorry that this does not comport with some people’s ideas of personal responsibility and neighborliness.

The system we use for financing homeownership has failed to function properly, and a lot of people got lied to, ripped off, and generally screwed so that someone else could make a profit. When the system doesn’t work, and the government is fiddling around with it, people are going to take things into their own hands.

I suspect that years from now, Mr. Williams person will remember fondly the time when he got the shaft and threw it in the bank’s face.

16. pecan 3.14159265 says:

There’s a story out of Maryland that a guy sent a comment through the official Md. website, threatening to choke the governor if he ever saw him…this guy was pretty angry, and the courts fined him and put him on unsupervised probation. What you do in response to a situation can really turn on you… it’s sad this guy lost his house, but his response to the situation clearly gives a better idea of what kind of individual he was to begin with. Everyone acts in passion, and finding out you’ve lost your home is definitely a trigger…I commend the man for seeking help, but not doing the proper research to go through a reputable and OFFICIAL bank or lending group is what got him into a bigger mess to begin with.

• TorrentFreak says:

@IHaveAFreezeRay:

So if you screwed up so bad that you became homeless you would just accept your fate and let the world step on you?

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@IHaveAFreezeRay: No, it means that he screwed up so badly that when he found himself in an even worse situation, instead of dealing with it calmly or in a way that might actually benefit him, he went on a rampage and destroyed his home. Ownership is irrelevant, the house had been in his family for 40 years and he definitely considered it his home. His act of revenge against the bank was an act of rage and it’ll come back to bite him one way or the other.

• frodo_35 says:

How do you know he did’nt go throuhg proper steps and still got screwed.

17. Groovymarlin says:

This is nothing new, unfortunately. It happens around here regularly. I feel sorry for the guy in the story, since he apparently got duped, but people being foreclosed tend to get really angry and do irrational things. My friend’s wife works in real estate and told us about a very expensive house in a suburb near where I live. The house was worth probably $800,000. The owners got foreclosed and had to move out, then the bank tried to sell the house.

When the owners moved out, they left all their windows wide open (no screens), and filled their giant soaking tub in the master bath with birdseed. In no time at all, the house was TRASHED. The smell was horrendous. Usually, banks are reluctant to spend any money on having houses cleaned or fixed up (I walked through plenty of messy townhouses being foreclosed with my friend when she was house shopping recently – though not THAT messy) when they are just trying to unload them. And if the house goes to auction, buyers have to bid on the house “as-is” and often can’t even tour the house first.

I don’t know what ended up happening in the case of the “bird house.” Pretty creepy.

18. doodzed says:

Will a jury convict this guy? I don’t think so. Especially in the the bay area.

19. BeyondtheTech says:

Imagine it was all a paperwork error and now he screwed up his own house. Yikes.

20. TorrentFreak says:

I guess he got the last laugh in the end. I mean, he lost his house. There is no “he could have handled it better” or “think next time before you act” routine to do. You are KICKED out of your house. I would have done the same. It is easy for people who have no problems like this to look down on others but when the system plays hardball and fucks you, you lash out, and fuck them back.

I applaud him for his balls. I would have done the same.

Foreclose on me? O yeah???

Try making money off it now assholes. LoL

• Toof_75_75 says:

@TorrentFreak: The system didn’t fuck him…he took on a mortgage that was beyond his ability and/or was not fiscally responsible…You don’t get fucked if you don’t make poor decisions.

• TorrentFreak says:

@Toof_75_75:

You don;t know his whole story. And besides that doesn’t matter.

Personal responsibility or not, he got kicked out to the streets. If it happened to you, would you just say ok, I screw up I will accept being homeless???

I don;t think so.

• ZekeSulastin says:

@TorrentFreak: It would be plausible to state that most of mankind should have the maturity not to act in this way, instead devoting their energies to fixing themselves.

He should have criminal charges brought against him for this.

• Toof_75_75 says:

@TorrentFreak: It wouldn’t happen to me, but if it did, it would be because I made poor decisions that led me to that point. For instance, if he couldn’t afford the house, he could have sold it (even for a loss) and begun renting. We can’t pretend like he had no option but to be foreclosed on. This was the path he chose, whether or not he chose knowing chose it doesn’t matter, it is simply his fault. Wrecking the house because he made mistakes is just stupid…sure, I can appreciate being pissed, but find a more useful way of expressing it. At least find out who scammed you and go destroy their shit… (I kid)

• Brazell says:

@TorrentFreak: yeah, his ability to buy things he can’t afford is societies fault.

if I stole your computer, used it for three months, and then you came to reclaim it one day … would I under any circumstances be legitimized in destroying the computer as you came to reclaim it? But… but.. now I don’t have a computer, how do I read the consumerist?!!

• Jackasimov says:

@Toof_75_75: “You don’t get fucked if you don’t make poor decisions.” Rigghhhht. Never? Ever? Doesn’t happen? Ever? What a ridiculous thing to say.

If you can’t imagine a scenario wherein you get fucked without having made a poor decision then we are no longer friends.

• frodo_35 says:

He should have donte this to the guy who scammed hims house

• madanthony says:

@TorrentFreak:

First of all, there aren’t any details if the bank actually did anything wrong, if he was ripped off by a 3rd party scammer, or if he just didn’t pay his bills.

But it’s not uncommon for banks to be willing to make “cash for keys” deals when foreclosing on homes – giving the person that they are kicking out a few grand in exchange for them peacefully handing over the keys and vacating the premises undamaged. Trying to negotiate such a deal is a much better idea than trashing the house – it’s a win-win for both parties.

• Corporate-Shill says:

@madanthony:

I forgot the “cash for keys” deal.

Years ago, a friend of a friend (you know the drill) was given a rent & moving voucher for departing the house during a divorce sale. It was explained to me as a means to encourage the bum (oops, I mean person) out of the house as peacefully as possible.

I know of a few contractors that keep a “bum fund” to help squatters find their way off of remodeling jobs. A lot better to buy the bum off than to use physical force.

• Jackasimov says:

@TorrentFreak: I agree with you. I’ve just finished rehabbing a house I recently bought and put hundreds of hours and tons of money into it. Sure it belongs to the bank but it really is “my” house. I’m not yet so attached to it that I would trash it (I don’t think) if I were scammed out of it but I can imagine situations where I might be tempted to do so.

I don’t get the condemnation, really. For those who can say “it’s his own damn fault” or “I would never, ever…” let’s hope that internet bravado comes in handy when something rotten happens to you (god forbid). But I guess nothing can ever go wrong if your smug.

• mariospants says:

I worked in Milpitas before and it’s nothing special there, just the place for non-sensical appreciation, ARMs and scams.

There are *some* facts about the situation. He looks like he’s in his late 40′s. The house was bought by someone in the family “over 40 years ago”. Ergo, the mortgage in question must have been essentially a collaterally-secured equity loan which he spent on… what? The house doesn’t have an addition and from the look of it, the house wasn’t a taj mahal inside, either.

He basically fucked himself.

21. zibby says:

Wow – you gotta work pretty hard to make a property like that look worse. On the other hand, the mess might distract from the toolshed-like architecture of the dwelling and therefore enhance its appeal.

22. latemodel says:

Since he was “tricked” into selling the house, he is no longer the owner, and not going through the foreclosure. His just like a renter, which means the current owner will have to sue in civil court. Banks wont go to court over the damages.

23. Snakeophelia says:

@Groovymarlin: Wow. Not to say the owners were in the right, especially if they decided to tempt Fate by buying more house than they could afford…but you have to admit, that’s a creative way to trash a house. Not only did it make that house a mess, but even if it’s rehabbed, the neighborhood birds might still hang around in massive numbers, hoping for more free food!

• BytheSea says:

@Snakeophelia: And the squirrels, possums, deer, chipmunks, and all the things that eat them.

Bird seed isn’t expensive, but to fill a whole tub with it? Have to be at least $100. That’s a lot of commitment for people who’re being forced out of their home.

24. Rectilinear Propagation says:

I’d like to point out that we don’t know why he fell behind on his payments and therefore don’t know that it was a result of bad decisions.

25. BytheSea says:

“The deal failed” sounds like this guy failed to uphold his end of the deal. “Without his knowledge” may mean he didn’t open his mail.

I don’t really trust the reasoning skills or responsibility or someone who would do this.

26. Corbin123 says:

I doubt there will be any criminal sanctions. Civil liabilities maybe, but if he’s getting kicked out of his house for not being able to pay the mortgage it’s probably going to be hard to collect.

• wiIdcatlh says:

@Corbin123:

Except that before he did this, all they could go after was the house. They couldn’t go after other assets of his. Now they can get a civil judgment, which could allow them to go after his personal non-home assets, or garnish his paychecks.

27. ZenMasterKel says:

I’ve never understood why people trash a house when they get foreclosed, but don’t trash an apartment they are renting when they can’t pay the rent and get evicted. If you don’t have any equity in the house, then there really isn’t any difference; except for the irrational psychological difference of owning a house. But you don’t really own it if you have a mortgage.

28. ARPRINCE says:

He misspelled Deutsche Bank. I’m pretty certain it’s Douche Bank!

29. IC18 says:

It would be really funny if the bank or some federal agency saved this house from forclosure and handed it back to the guy after the destruction. He’l be like Oh F**K.

30. Brazell says:

This is bogus and the guy is a dick. This is very common in foreclosed homes and it is exceedingly rare for the bank to pay for it, usually, the mortgage Realtor who is in charge of the property ends up having to restore everything and they are typically not compensated. It comes out of their pocket, not the banks, not anybody else. The guy is an asshole and an idiot… I’m sure he really hated the bank when he moved into a home that he knowingly couldn’t afford but they still financed him; irresponsible, immature jerk.

31. Invective says:

Imagine a Judge in Northern Idaho who illegally runs foreclosures on home occupants, making deals with local Real Estate brokers & banks to pass those homes back to law enforcement, (and other good old boy connections) for payment for services rendered. We’ve seen things like that and worse for years now. [www.times.org]
    It’s not just ‘entrepreneurial scammers’ that take advantage of the civil population anymore. It’s your local government representatives and supposed law enforcement has taken to these kinds of scams as well. I have utter disdain for the phrase, “local control” , as it’s just another term for ‘local corruption’. With Federal government programs gutted and the FBI out dealing with terrorist stuff, local government agencies take full advantage with a new ability to fleece the local populace. If it hasn’t already, it’s coming to a neighborhood near you. Believe it!

32. gatewaytoheaven says:

I think I live around there…

33. ceejeemcbeegee is not here says:

Hey dude! Thanks for making your house cheaper for investors! You rock!

34. nelsonj1998 says:

The only thing that could make this funnier is if somebody reported the property to the city officials for being such a mess and the bank got some sort of fine.

35. dahlink_natasha says:

The mother of a guy I dated once bought a house like this, at a sheriff’s auction. She too also had to buy it “as is” without even stepping in the back yard. Apparantly Mom and Dad bought it for their college age son and his friends–there was a huge den on the back of the house that they put four (!) pool tables in. Well, Mom and Dad gave them only one rule: Pay the Mortgage and divide it up equally among the five guys that were living there. Well I think they got a little too used to depending on their parents because they didn’t pay it and the house got foreclosed on…and I don’t think I have to tell you what five college guys can do to a house. She had to refinish cabinets, tear out carpet, replace sheet rock and relandcape. She told me once it was three weeks before she could even let her kids in the house.

36. Mr_Human says:

Harper’s magazine had a great and harrowing article recently about cleaning out foreclosed homes:

Bleak houses:
    Digging through the ruins of the mortgage crisis
    [www.harpers.org]

37. delphi_ote says:

Families sleepin’ in their cars in the southwest
    No home no job no peace no rest

The highway is alive tonight
    But nobody’s kiddin’ nobody about where it goes
    I’m sittin’ down here in the campfire light
    Searchin’ for the ghost of Tom Joad

38. IrvCrapper says:

Good. You want to systematically screw people. I’m glad this person found a way to get back.

This system is being pulled to the limit. Soon, there will be insurrection if we aren’t careful. Each time a person gets screwed like this, I’m happy in a sense that we are one step closer to overthrowing this mess!

39. parad0x360 says:

I understand that is really sucks to have this happen to you and losing your home is terrible but trashing it? Thats going waaaaay beyond the line and this guy deserves to be sued or put in Jail.

If you are going to be losing your house then chances are for a while you have known you are living beyond your means. I know I cant currently afford to own a house despite the fact that I was offered a loan to buy one. So I rent. If i were to take the loan and get a house then fail to make my payments it wouldnt be the banks fault.

People need to have a little more respect and think of the big picture here. Now that house will not sell until the bank pays money to fix it. A bank that probably is hurting as bad as this guy. The economy is in shambles and its things like this that make it even worse. If everyone did this to their houses we would all be screwed.

40. TorreyPyramus says:

California, in practice, is a non-recourse state (meaning, if the bank’s security (the house) is foreclosed on, and the proceeds of the sale of the house does not fully payoff the bank’s loan, the bank cannot seek a judgment against the borrower for the deficiency. In other words, the bank, after the foreclosure sale, cannot get a judgment against the borrower and enforce it by garnishing wages, attaching personal property…etc.

If for some reason the bank wants to get a deficiency judgment, there is a long and expensive procedure for them to follow, whereby they can foreclose on the property and then sue the borrower for the difference. This rarely ever happens.

There are laws against trashing your house. The doctrine is called “waste.” The problem is that the cost of court action outweighs the benefit of filing these types of actions. The person who trashes his house probably has nothing to collect against, considering that he just had his property foreclosed on.

I’m a california real estate attorney.

41. effingroovin says:

People should not be so judgemental and mean about this guy. Who knows why he fell behind on payments, i mean cmon how many americans are in the same boat? He got scammed, and the bank could have done something to help him. Maybe if we stopped bailing out companies like AIG who spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on weekend getaways and just paid that money to suffering americans it would all be better!

Cheers for not settin the damn place on fire!

The bird seed story.. AWESOME

42. Novaload says:

So I guess, given the trend of comments here, he should have just shot himself in the house, like the elderly woman who made the news. Foreclosure is an enormous trauma that comes after a long period of intense stress.
    You lose your place to live plus your investment. You may be facing genuine homelessness. I have limited sympathy for people who signed up for impossible mortgages and didn’t inform themselves but traumatized people don’t behave in logical ways.

43. Huabtais says:

I wonder what they will do? It’s not like the could sue him for his house.

44. donovanr says:

I suspect that both the guy and the bank both deserve to lose the house. The main one that I feel sorry for is the house itself. There is an honest hardworking family out there who otherwise would have potentially enjoyed that house now that the speculators have been cleared out and prices are returning to fair levels.

45. quail says:

Heck, after a Robert Allen seminar I could buy that place with no money down, take an equity loan to fix it right up, and then flip it the next year. Anyone want to join me?

46. Skrpune says:

This is nothing new. I used to work for a company that fixed damaged foreclosed homes for banks before turning them over to HUD, and we routinely saw little “love notes” to the banks from their former owners. My favorite was “fleet mortgage can suck my d**k!”

47. Anonymous says:

I lost my house to foreclosure in 2005, and not only cleaned, but really CLEANED my house- as it was to my advantage for the house to auction off as high as possible. About 2 months after they told me I had to get out (house still empty)- some neighborhood kids trashed it. Someone stole the AC unit from outside. windows broken. Awful. Not only did I NOT do that, I purposely stayed AWAY from my neighborhood as I didn’t even want to drive BY THERE, for fear something would happen and I’d be blamed. In this particular man’s case, he did that- but that’s not ALWAYS the case in 100% of the situations.

48. cartagenero says:

I would have done the same. Maybe burn the MF down

49. ilrealtor says:

As a realtor working with foreclosures I have come across properties trashed by former owners but I have seen banks neglect vacant buildings as well. Lets stop blaming the victims and work together to find a solution to the continued problem with foreclosure.