1,585,000 Cribs Recalled Due To Entrapment And Suffocation Hazards

If you own a crib made by Delta, you’ll want to check the model number to see if it is included in two massive recalls announced by the CPSC today. None of the cribs are currently being sold in stores, but were available from major retailers including Walmart, Kmart and Target.com from January 1995 through September 2007 for about $100.

The recalls involve two types of cribs. The first is for 600,000 drop side cribs. The CPSC says that the crib’s drop side can detach when the spring peg is not engaged, which can cause an entrapment and suffocation risk to infants and toddlers. One death has been reported.

The second is for 985,000 cribs that can be put together without the safety pegs. “CPSC staff is aware of a death of an 8-month-old child who became entrapped and suffocated when the drop side of the crib detached in a reassembled crib where the safety pegs were not installed. CPSC is also aware of two entrapments and nine disengagement incidents in cribs where the safety pegs were missing.”

A full list of the model numbers affected by the recall can be found at the links below. To get your repair kit, contact Delta at (800) 816-5304 anytime after 5 pm today or log on www.cribrecallcenter.com to order the free repair kit.

Infant Death Prompts Recall to Repair 985,000 Delta Enterprise Drop Side Cribs; Missing Safety Pegs Can Cause Entrapment and Suffocation Hazards

Infant Death Prompts Recall To Repair 600,000 Drop Side Cribs By Delta Enterprise; Spring Peg Failure Can Cause Entrapment and Suffocation Hazards [CPSC]

Comments

1. thesuperpet says:

I think my tot sleeps in one of those *runs off to check*

2. IrvCrapper says:

Not very valuable without the name of the crib. I’d like to know because I own a crib purchased at Target.

3. MonkeyMonk says:

If you’re buying a crib that only costs $100 you’ve got to assume that corners are going to be cut somewhere in the manufacturing process. Still, that’s no reason for manufacturers to put babies’ lives at risk. At least they’re doing the right thing and doing a massive recall.

That’s a big number of recalled cribs too. With what I guess are Delta’s slim profit margins, any chance this could put them out of business?

• LoveNoelG says:

@MonkeyMonk: At what price point should safety be expected?

• Green Goth Brit Chick - AlternatEve says:

@MonkeyMonk: Sometimes you don’t have a choice. And some people – judging by the manufacture dates – may have them as hand-me-downs.

• FCL says:

@FoneMonkeh: Or left-overs from older siblings. That’s how my youngest came to have an accident in her left-over-from-big-sis deathtrap. (She’s okay now.)

• Veeber says:

@MonkeyMonk: I wouldn’t say that a $100 crib would be of poor quality. At least for the 985,000 cribs it looks like they just designed it so that when people put it together they tended to forget to put in the safety pegs. While it is a flaw, you can’t design everything to be fool proof.

• downwithmonstercable says:

@MonkeyMonk : Cheaper shouldn’t mean potentially deadly. You can cut corners by using cheaper materials, overseas labor, etc. Parents should be able to trust that if they buy a crib, no matter the price, it should perform the same as far as keeping the baby safe. That’s the basic purpose of it, it should be able to do that at the very least.

• alexawesome says:

@Veeber: I don’t think so. I think those cribs had an advertised feature in which installing the pegs was optional, not commonly forgotten.

• alexawesome says:

@MonkeyMonk: I’m sorry, not okay. I see what you’re saying, but these are obviously economical choices for parents without a lot of money. It’s unbelievably cruel to suggest that affordable cribs for children should pose a severe safety risk. It’s dangerous to sleep with your baby and cribs are considered important as a way to prevent SIDS. Unbelievable that it should just be a “given” that affordable products would cause the death of infants.

4. Branan says:

One of those (the broken spring pegs) looks like a real design flaw to me. The other one looks like it’s one of those “we can’t expect people to put cribs together properly, so we’ll make them idiot-proof” sort of recalls. There’s no mention of the pegs being missing at retail, only that the crib is dangerous without them. Imagine that – missing pieces can cause a mechanical failure.

Any parent who puts their kid in a crib that’s missing pieces shouldn’t be passing on their genes anyway. Kinda cold-hearted, I know, but that’s how evolution works.

• charodon says:

@Branan: There are a lot of people out there who can’t read English or Spanish, and thus can’t read the directions. I assume your misguided Darwinism doesn’t apply to all non-English/Spanish speakers.

• EmmaJobonomic says:

@charodon: I assume that his statement certainly does apply to anyone who puts their child in a crib without finding a legitimate use for leftover pieces, whether or not they can read. At the very least, they should find someone to explain the directions to them before trusting the safety of the child to a piece of hardware they don’t understand. If you can’t read the instructions, and you’re too lazy to get someone to translate, your baby’s death is your own damn fault.

It would partly be the manufacturer’s fault if, as someone already suggested may have been the case, the safety pegs were advertised as optional. Regardless, any parent negligent enough to “opt out” of installing safety devices provided by the manufacturer is unfit to parent a child.

5. sethom says:

If you are planning on more than 1 kid, invest in a better crib that’s made of real wood or even steel. I know Bratt Decor makes both and starts at $650 (Which I know some people are going to be like WTH, but this is a relatively cheaper crib). Or buy an actual American-made crib made out of real alder wood which would put you back $1200. Think investment.

• downwithmonstercable says:

@sethom: I’m not totally 100% sure about this, but I think that maybe not all parents can afford a $1200 crib? Just thinking out loud here…

6. LiC says:

So put your kid in a playpen to sleep instead of a crib. It’s cheaper, and you can get a really nice model that folds up.

We’ve had two cribs – one we bought new, the other a hand-me-down. I think the hand-me-down could’ve killed an infant, while the new one came with a mattress that was too small – which caused a gab which the infant could have become trapped in.

7. e6matt says:

I just sent an email to tips@consumerist.com, but I happen to own one of these cribs (a generous hand-me-down). What REALLY pisses me off is that when I got the crib it was missing the safety pegs, and I tried to contact the company to get replacements (about 9 months ago). Delta’s listed phone number was picked up by a fax machine and they did not respond to emails or online contact submissions. I tried again LAST WEEK and a guy emailed me back saying they would sell me the parts for $25! They wouldn’t send the safety pegs separately, they would only send the full “lower tracks/guide”. A few days later there is a recall? WTF?!!!

8. Triborough says:

Let me guess, these were made in China.

9. cmdrsass says:

1.5 million cribs and 2 deaths in 12 years. These cribs sound pretty safe all things considered.

• madfrog says:

@cmdrsass:
      one death is one two many. When you put your child to bed at night, you expect it to be safe, not missing parts (or worn out parts) that will kill the tot. Granted, these were made in China, but not everyone can afford to buy the best products out there, some receive their cribs as hand-me-downs.

• downwithmonstercable says:

@cmdrsass: My daughter is six months old. I can’t even imagine how horrible it would be to lose her. One death is too many.

Are you hearing what you are saying? A life is ending because of a badly designed product failing. I don’t think there is a way to quantify that.

10. Visceral says:

Two things:

One, the comments about it being a cheap crib are a tad off. We own one and other than the exposed flaws, it’s a solid crib, not a cheap piece of crap. $650 for a crib? Sounds like the kind of thinking that got people into the current economic jam the country is in. That’s nuts.

Two, we tried in vain several months ago to get them to send us replacement pegs when we lost one in-between kids using the crib. They never answered the phone or responded to our e-mails.

11. jaya9581 says:

Starting with caps on purpose:

ALL CRIBS SOLD NEW IN THE UNITED STATES MUST MEET SPECIFIC SAFETY STANDARDS.

I sold cribs for many, many years. When you see a recall on a crib, it is frequently for some sort of user error: i.e., missing pegs as in this case, or people not tightening the screws on a regular basis. People buy these cribs, put them together for Baby 1, take them down and then when it’s time for Baby 2 they think they remember just how to do it and so don’t reference the directions they probably threw out as soon as they got it together the first time anyway.

It is extremely rare to see a death resulting from a true manufacturer error.

As to the commenter who recommended spending hundreds, and even over a thousand dollars, on a crib to ensure that it’s safe: Please see my capitalized statement. Statements like yours are the reason people buy second-hand cribs. Someone else spent a lot of money for it, so it must be safer than the one Target or Babies R Us sells for $99.99, right? No pun intended, but dead wrong. A $100 crib is JUST AS SAFE as a $5,000 crib, provided you follow the directions to the letter, put it together properly, and keep all screws appropriately tightened. As long as you do that, and make sure to purchase a new, firm mattress that fits snugly within the crib, the odds of anything bad happening are practically zero.

12. Nick1693 says:

There needs to be a crib made out of one piece somewhere. Right?

13. papahoth says:

How do you test a crib to see if it is safe? Put a baby chimp in it?