HDTV sales could be down this holiday season, report analysts. You don’t say? [Engadget]

Comments

1. ShawnD says:

One good thing out of this is the fact that, after the holiday season, you will see many stores slashing the prices of their overstocked HDTVs that didn’t sell during the holiday. When I worked at Best Buy they generally pushed hard to get rid of older models, opening the door for car lot style selling.

• alexawesome says:

@ShawnD: @nfs: ugh, so skeevy. we bought the converter with the gov’t credit and it works great! we had plain on regular tv (no cable, no hd) and the converter gives us awesome reception – i know, it’s digital, still, it was like zero to amazing instantly – and additional channels. WIN! Of course cable and tv makers/retailers don’t want people to know about this. They’re going to lose tons of money. They’re still skeevy, though.

2. nfs says:

Aren’t they gonna somehow say (or advertise, falsely) that you “must” buy a HDTV to survive the Analog-to-digital conversion, to somehow get the sales going?

• stacye says:

@nfs: You would be surprised to find out how many people actually believe that already.

It took me several minutes to explain to my mother in law that she didn’t need an HDTV, and that her TV was not going to “go dead” in Feb.

• Toof_75_75 says:

@nfs: I like (read: hate) the commercials that Comcast has been putting out about how “if you have Comcast, they have you covered for the switch.”

Yes, you and EVERY OTHER CABLE PROVIDER you douches.

3. JohnDeere says:

i predict suv sales will also be down. who wants to hire me as an analyst.

4. Bryan Price says:

I want an HD set now myself. the 34″ Sony is OK, but my friends have been showing off theirs, and have even replaced pretty much everything including monitors with flat screens. But I think the best deals will be right before the Superbowl, so I wait a little longer

Shocked the hell out of my wife when I told her last night. Then again, I don’t plan on spending any more than what she spent on the Sony 8 years ago (Christmas gift, but I was there when she got it, probably still swooning from the engagement ring I had given her on Christmas day (this was an after Christmas purchase, and the kids thought I would be taking it back with me to Ohio…)) and that was $1000. I actually thought I was going to buy it at the time, but she swooped in and bought it.

5. humphrmi says:

I predict that real estate sales will plummet, and banks will fail. And I won’t even try to explain what I predict Treasury will try to do about it – you’d never believe it anyway.

6. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I’m pretty tech savvy, but I want to just confirm something…I get cable tv, but I don’t rent covnerter boxes. So the signal is anlaog converted by my analog tv. I’m gonna have to give Comcast even MORE of my money and rent converter boxes, aren’t I? ;_;

• TVarmy says:

@AlteredBeast: There’s nothing stopping Comcast from converting the signals at the distribution center, but I imagine this may be the excuse they use to leverage you into renting a digital converter box.

• West Coast Secessionist says:

@AlteredBeast: Nothing about the way comcast distributes signal from their their place (the other end of the cable coming out of your wall) to yours will be changing as a result of the DTV thing. All it applies to is signal transmitted on the UHF and VHF frequencies over-the-air. Comcast currently sends over a cable the following: VHF signals for channels 2-99, and signals encoded with a digital encoding called QAM, for the channels 100+ you may or may not receive if you have a “digital cable” box. Some of these QAM channels are not encrypted, but most are encrypted.

Since it’s not broadcast, the government doesn’t care how they send their channels to you. They could do it all in UHF or do it all in digital or all in morse code. It’s basically a coincidence that they use VHF for some channels now, actually it’s because they chose it to be compatible with what TVs expected to receive off-the-air 40 years ago. But with cable companies taking for granted that you want their horrid “boxes” they could change that anytime.

Anyway, eventually, Comcast will probably switch all of their channels over to QAM (in my area, a few have moved over already, and a few are in transition, on both a “digital” channel and a “normal” channel.) They definitely will not do this big move within a year from now, but in coming years you can bet they will. Why?
      1. QAM takes up less bandwidth because it’s compressed. = More channels or more room for other things like Voice or Internet.
      2. Then they can force you to rent one box for every TV you have, in order to get the encrypted channels you used to be able to tune in sans box. They might be restricted by some PUC from putting all channels into that encrypted part that way, but they will probably get away with offering something like:
      Basic cable: “Big 5″ networks + all PBSs and public-access channel. No box needed. Price: $59.89
      Digital cable Super Saver Bundle: All the channels you used to be able to get without a converter box, PLUS ONE FREE converter box! : $59.99*
      * additional converter boxes $7 per month.

7. Dacker says:

I’m waiting for the Xmas/post-Xmas HDTV blowout to buy one to upgrade my beloved Sony Wega 36″ tube TV. I’m holding out for a 52″ LCD with LED backlighting and 120 or 180Hz refresh.

8. Etoiles says:

We actually just bought a big-screen LCD HDTV. I feel like the Worst American Ever for perpetuating crass acts of consumerism at this economic low.

(That said, the money was saved BEFORE the purchase, we live within our means, and my boyfriend’s been wanting this for over a year so he did his research and got a good deal on a solid product. This does not assuage my guilt. Watching Discovery HD kinda does, though.)

• West Coast Secessionist says:

@EtoilePB: what the hell, especially since you didn’t charge it, I think you’re the BEST American ever for buying a big-ass TV during a recession. You are Helpingâ„¢! Go pat yourself on the back.

/the only way you could help more with that purchase is if there were any American-made TVs left on the market. Damn China.

9. Goatweed says:

I’m more concerned with getting my credit card debt paid down so I’m probably gonna hold out on this purchase again. I have a 6 year old Sony 4:3 HDTV that is just monstrous in weight, but it still works and the picture is pretty damn good. I was gonna buy a new 50″ and move the Sony to the basement but then I realized that it would die one day, and that I’d have to carry it UP to throw it away – and 400 pounds is not fun to carry up 2 flights of stairs.

Once I have/if I have expendable cash and the TVs get cheap enough, I’ll consider either firesale-ing mine or just giving it to whoever agrees to take it with them.