Ringtone Scam Class Action Settlement Announced

We’ve known how “free” ringtones and other “free” cellphone content comeons are often lures to get you signed up on a hidden monthly subscription, and now there’s a class action lawsuit settlement to punish MobileMessenger, one of their purveyors. The settlement covers customers from every cellphone provider who bought content from January 1, 2005 to August 13, 2008. If you paid for your kids cellphone plan during that time, chances are they ordered some. You can check your bills for any the “short codes” (listed inside) or call 1-800-416-6129. The deadline for filing a claim is January 30, 2009. More information about Gray v. Mobile Messenger at cellphonedownloads.class-action-admin.com.

[via TopClassActions]

Short Codes to look for on your bills:

1103
95521
95787
98651

(Photo: blueoneiam)

Comments

1. Not Alvis says:

I didn’t check all the details; has anything changed about the settlement since [consumerist.com] was posted?

• ViperBorg says:

@Clold: Nope. Still the same, Ben just posted all the short codes in the article. It’s all good. Hey, in case ya missed it, here’s a reminder type of thing. In this case, it’s a good thing. I hated those damn commercials, now I kinda wish I fell for it, triple money back, baby!

• Not Alvis says:

@ViperBorg:
        Yeah, these things are retarded. I’m glad people are getting their money back.

What REALLY pisses me off is how they air these commercials non-stop on tween-oriented channels. Check out Noggin’s “The N” evening/night lineup to see what I mean. At least a third of the ads are for subscription-based phone services.

2. Lepoth says:

Will that number know if I paid for ringtones from these people two years ago?

3. in the future, check out MyxerTones.com – something a fiend of mine made in college, you can buy ringtones from original artists, or upload your own music clips to your phone. not sure of the legality of the “upload whatever you want straight to your phone” part of the site, but it makes me feel better to know that i’m paying $1.99 for original content, and a large percentage of that is going to the actual artists, instead of paying $2.50, all of which is going to verizon.

• viqas says:

@Gstein: not exactly verizon, it goes to the music association. The music association has a special rate for music/ringtones transmitted through celluar. Apple had that run in when they took the itunes music store from the wifi to the cellular. gotta love innovation eh?

4. chiieddy says:

I take an mp3 of a song I’ve already ripped, upload it to my phone, select ‘use as ring tone’. Done.

5. BuddhaLite says:

People really pay for ringtones? Go download Audacity and you can chop apart your favorite songs for free.

[audacity.sourceforge.net]

• equazcion says:

@Bevill: The people who pay for ringtones aren’t reading this.

• MyTQuinn says:

@Bevill: I can’t imagine why anyone would pay for ringtones, except that most phones come with a slew of embarrassingly ridiculous sounding ringtones. But then again, the ringtones in this article were “free”.

• TheSpatulaOfLove says:

@Bevill:

Well the average bear has a difficult time jumping every hurdle to put their own ringtones on many phones. I’ve found that most carriers make this very difficult with their crap software loads that inhibit the phone’s designed functionality.

6. MauraAcastus says:

I always make my own custom MP3 tones for my Sprint phone, but I can not for the life of me get it to work on my mom’s Verizon Razr phone. The company disabled the software from allowing you to use sounds as ringtones… it forces you to buy them.

7. equazcion says:

@TheSpatulaOfLove: You said it. Verizon is especially bad for that reason. It doesn’t matter how well a manufacturer designs a phone — it seems all for naught when Verizon shoves their same horrific proprietary software on every single one of their devices.

• jamar0303 says:

@equazcion: Spposedly they do it to make it easy for people to switch between phones, but conveniently enough it also doesn’t make use of features that may have been in the original. Compare the Japanese and American G’Zone phones, for instance.

• equazcion says:

@jamar0303: I doubt that’s the actual reason. I think it’s more likely they do it to make customer support easier. It’s a lot easier for them to train support personnel when their customers’ phones all work the same way.

8. ScottHardy says:

Hey folks, just a reminder that there’s only a week left to submit your claim for a refund if you’ve been charged an Early Termination Fee by Verizon.
    [www.topclassactions.com]

From the looks of the settlement, you’ll likely only receive $25 unless you have proof of the higher charge. This covers Verizon customers who canceled from July 23, 1999 – August 10, 2008 and were charged a Flat early termination fee. From the looks of the settlement, if you were charged a sliding fee (one that decreased the longer you were with Verizon) you’ll most likely only get the flat refund of $25, but there’s always the chance they’ll send you the full amount.

Warm Regards,
    Scott Hardy
    President and CEO of Top Class Actions LLC
    [www.TopClassActions.com]
    “What settlements do you qualify for? Find out at TopClassActions.com”

9. emax4 says:

The bottom link, “cellphonedownloads.class-action-admin.com” doesn’t work.

10. MobileMessenger says:

We at Mobile Messenger would like to assist you with your concern or complaint. If you need assistance in regards to being unsubscribed or other related issues, please do not hesitate to contact us. Please call 1-800-416-6129 Monday to Friday 0600 – 1800 US Pacific Time or email escalationsus@sms-helpdesk.com

Sandra
    Mobile Messenger

11. Connie Hudgens Thiessen says:

I would like to unsubcribe