MyPhil Lets New Yorkers 35 And Under Build Affordable Concert Subscriptions

MyPhil from the New York Philharmonic lets anyone 35 or younger build their own concert series for $29 per ticket. Nearly every Philharmonic concert is eligible for purchase, and the cheap tickets don’t land you in the cheap seats.

By default, the tickets are sold for the best available seats, usually the second half of the orchestra, but you can switch to any section except for the center or front of the first tier. We highly recommend the stunning view from the front of the second tier.

A MyPhil subscription of three or more concerts also gets you a free year of Time Out New York, which by itself is worth far more than its $19.97 annual sticker price would suggest. Only one caveat: the philharmonic is a vicious fundraiser, and if you give them your phone number, they will call. Sometimes while you’re enjoying a concert.

Still, for music lovers 35 and under, MyPhil presents an unrivaled opportunity to enjoy a world-class symphony orchestra at dumpster-diving prices.

MyPhil – Subscription Series [The New York Philharmonic]

Comments

1. RandaPanda says:

Oh, if only I were lucky enough to live in NY and then I could take advantage of this offer. *sigh* dang my midwestern roots!

2. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

Good that it is for 35 or younger, because I remember as soon as I turned 35 they handed me a big pile of money so I didn’t need bargains anymore.

What about us (not so) old farts?

• agnamus says:

@doctor_cos: I think the point is that they hook you while you’re young, and you’ll subsidize your youth tickets with full price old people tickets.

/Not that 36 is old.

3. NotYou007 says:

So why is it for people under 35 only? At 36 do you become some sort of musical idiot?

• D-Bo says:

@NotYou007: No you simply fall outside of the preferred demographic they’re going after. Strange marketing approach IMO.

• NotYou007 says:

@D-Bo:

Strange is not the word. Down right stupid is much better suited. If the cut off was 45 years of age I could understand but 35 is just dumb.

Have they forgotten that a lot of us that are just over the age of 35 are still hip and not old foggies. Just because I’m 38 and have a soon to be 10yr old daughter doesn’t make me want to yell “get off my lawn” at least not yet.

• tweemo says:

@NotYou007: Stupid would be if the cutoff were 45 as you suggest. They are encouraging young people to buy because none are buying tickets currently. They aren’t having trouble selling tickets to 35-45 year olds, so no discount.

• nycaviation says:

@doctor_cos: It’s a high society organization. If you’re not pulling in enough to afford full-price tickets by 35, chances are you’re not going to donate money to them, and you probably smell bad. :)

4. nycdor says:

Clearly they’re trying to boost their numbers in the younger demographic. That’s kind of cool – the opposite of the senior discount :) and I’m definitely one of those under 35 year olds who misses the days of a student discount, so this is a nice inbetween thing. Too bad Broadway shows don’t do this since the NY Phil isn’t my thing.

5. Blackneto says:

the conductor, Lorin Maazel, has an excellent attitude toward music.
    Live from Lincoln center on PBS has been excellent since he took over.

6. thesuperpet says:

Age discrimination much? I’m under 35, but I still dont like age restrictions on things

• god_forbids says:
      • Not Alvis says:

@god_forbids:

That’s rediculous. That UNCITED wiki article (all proper wiki articles MUST have thorough citation, lest they be confused for original research) says that its OK to give seniors discounts, because they either have less money or are less likely to want to spend what money they have.

That’s using age to make a blanket assumption about a group. It’s just trying to mask any and all kinds of discrimination by saying “we’re not discriminating against that group – we just think they all act alike, so we’re discriminating against how they spend”

• god_forbids says:

@Clold: You may not like it, but it’s a fairly accurate rundown of the economic theory behind [monopolistic] price discrimination. I could have linked to abstracts of real research on the issue but you know nobody would take the time to read those and probably would not understand them if they did.

In any case, the assumptions underlying the payment tiers don’t have to be 100% accurate to be effective and profitable. In this model, if marginal costs are negligible (an orchestra performing for 50% capacity is the same as one performing for 100% capacity) and suppliers are able to extract even 1 marginal unit of consumption from consumers who would not usually have made a purchase, the plan is worth implementing.

It makes business sense and most consumers are fine with it, so I find it unlikely tht Consumerist’s rage and fury about the NY Philharmonic will change anything in the real world. Sorry.

7. Not Alvis says:

I really don’t get why some discrimination is legal and some not in this country.

By and large it seems that the protected categories are involuntary – race, gender, sexual orientation – but then there are the ones that are conscious choices, like religion, that just murky up the waters: you can refuse service to someone for choosing to not wear a shirt, but not for choosing to worship a god.

I guess the rationale with age is that even though it’s involuntary, many people will cycle through most of the age brackets before they die, leveling the playing field a bit.

• god_forbids says:

@Clold: Right, and price discrimination by coupons is actually just a legal slight against colored people (/sarcasm). “Indirect” or inadvertent discrimination is not illegal because the population being discriminated against is random, a factor of statistics and demographics. Theoretically those hurt by such policies could be of any race, creed, skin color, ethnic group, etc. That is to say, even a determined racist could not target a scatter-plot shotgun effectively.

I see where you are coming from though. “No loans for low income earners” may be the equivalent of “no loans for blacks” in a certain place and time. Until there is a way of discerning people’s hearts and minds in implementing such policies though, there is really no way to criminalize the behavior.

8. zara_h says:

Usually I can’t afford babysitting + gas + awesome philharmonic music, but if they did this in LA I would be in like Flynn.

9. I think everyone is forgetting (or just not realizing) that this isn’t marketing. It’s about audience development. The trick here is to get an audience that doesn’t regularly attend (post-college, under 35) in the house at a low price, because that’s the pricepoint they’re willing to spend.

The trick is thus: once they hit 35, or once the promotion expires, some of those folks will stay loyal to the organization. They would have never walked in the door had it not been for the cheap tix. But now, hopefully, they’ll stick around until they’re old and rich enough to become subscribers.

I used to do this for a living. The NYP is actually behind the times on this one. U35 discounts have been around for a few years now, and have been working to develop arts audiences; because right now theatre audiences (what I worked with) look like nursing homes and our subscribers are dying off. Thank the audience development gods for the U35 discount.

10. goodywitch says:

I miss student rush tix, best thing ever!
    I wish the LA Phil would do the same thing. Then again, when I hit 35, I’ll miss that too. Free concerts at the LACMA for now.

11. humphrmi says:

I was about to complain about the under 35 thing, then I realized: hey wait a minute, I’m in Chicago!

12. akalish says:

This is better than a student discount. I was a subscriber through their Young Subscriber’s group for years (which I think this replaces) but joining was limited to those under a certain age. Maybe 26, maybe 29–I can’t recall exactly–but definitely not 35! I’m guessing the poor economy caused the shift. But who cares when this is a fantastic deal!!! :)

13. chatterboxwriting says:

This is not age discrimination. As other posters mentioned, the Philharmonic is trying to develop their young audience base. These are the people who, once involved, will be carrying the organization forward with donations and support in the years to come. The Metropolitan Opera does the same thing – they have a young member society that includes performance tickets and some receptions.

14. Jacquilynne says:

I don’t think there’s a single major orchestra, ballet or opera company in North American that doesn’t offer a similar deal. Here in Toronto, under 30s can see the TSO for $12, and Canadian Opera Company performances for $20.

15. BStu says:

This qualifies as news? My orchestra offers deals like this all the time to young and old alike. Our “choose your own” subscriptions start at $45 for 4 concerts. Yeah, those are the “cheap” seats, but we price our hall so that there are some decent seats at that price. Other groups that perform in this venue sell some of these seats nearly $50 each. Even moving up the next tier still costs less than $27 a ticket. I get that the big name orchestras get lots of attention, but major cities like Boston, San Francisco, Chicago, etc. have outstanding organizations, often specializing in period-instruments, who offer great music and a great value without having the “name” multiplying the price of the seat.

• LiC says:

@BStu: It’s the NY-centricity you find on a bunch of the Gawker sites. I mean heck, this reads like an advertisement for the NY Phil, there’s not even an angle or comment at the end soliciting reader feedback specifically for similar deals in their cities.

btw, the Oregon Symphony, [www.orsymphony.org] , based in Portland, has something similar. And it doesn’t discriminate based on age.

• Consumerist-Moderator-Roz says:

@BStu: Sharing helpful additional information is fine. “Why is this news” type comments are not fine. Read the comment code before posting.

16. MercyGlam says:

I’m in Chicago, where do you get cheap seats for $12? I’ve been dying to go see Porgy and Bess at the Lyric Opera.

17. mrosedal says:

This is perfect except I don’t live in New York…I wonder if it is worth my time since I live in Boston…it is not that far away. Any other readers know of cheap transportation to New York City from Boston?