Verizon Wireless Roadside Assistance CSR Running On Empty, Just Like Your Vehicle

Jason’s fuel gauge was stuck, and he unexpectedly ran out of gas in the middle of Wyoming, 23 miles from the nearest town. When he tried calling for help, the operator asked, “Would you like to be connected to Verizon Wireless Roadside Assistance?” Sadly, Jason said yes. He writes,

Here are the morals of this story:

1. Never EVER travel without extra fuel.

2. If someone ever says to you, “Can I connect you to Verizon Wireless Roadside Assistance?” They are making a direct threat on your life.

So yesterday I drove from my home in Casper, Wyoming down to Loveland Colorado. Its about a 250 mile drive South down I-25. I was driving a 2003 GMC Yukon XL. I passed Chugwater Wyoming at about 11:00, checked the fuel gauge and decided that half a tank should get me into Cheyenne, 45 miles away.

23 miles later the needle of the fuel gauge finally unstuck and dropped to E in about a second and a half. Then the car sputtered and died. I was out of fuel with no sign of civilization for 23 miles to the North and 22 miles to the South. I raised my hood, hoping that some kind soul would stop and perhaps offer a ride.

I had been in and out of cellular service for the last two hours. In that time my phone was trying desperately to find a signal, which drains the battery at a horrendous rate of speed. I had one bar left on the battery so I went looking for my car charger. I didn’t bring it. I don’t know anyone in Cheyenne, so I dialed 411. The operator answered and I asked her for a tow truck in Cheyenne, Wyoming. She said to me, “Can I connect you with Verizon Wireless Roadside Assistance?” I said, “Why yes you can, I didn’t know Verizon offered Roadside Assistance.”

So she connects me. I spent the next 15 minutes punching in my credit card number, my phone number, the last four digits of my SSN etc. etc. etc. Then I finally get a live person on the phone to help me. Goes like this:

Her: Thank you for calling Verizon Wireless Roadside Assistance, how can I help you?
Me: Hi, I’m out of fuel on I-25 23 miles North of Cheyenne, Wyoming next to mile marker 30. Can you send some fuel out?
Her: I can help you with that, are you in a safe place?
Me: I’m on the shoulder of I-25, I’m pretty safe.
Her: Ok, where exactly are you?
Me: …. Interstate 25 southbound, mile marker 30, 23 miles north of Cheyenne Wyoming.
(No shit, this was her next question.)
Her: Are you at home?
Me: What? No, I’m next to I-25 in the middle of nowhere.
Her: Could you meet someone at your home?
Me: Are you serious? Lady, I’m broken down in the middle of the prarie here!
Her: I understand sir, is there a mile marker or an exit near you?
Me: Yeah, like I said, I’m at mile marker 30.
Her: Ok, is there a town nearby?
Me: Yeah, Cheyenne is 23 miles away.
Her: Ok, what is the zip code there?
Me: How the hell would I know the zip code of Cheyenne Wyoming?
Her: Sir, I can’t do anything without a zip code.
Me: Can’t you look it up somehow?
Her: Please hold.

Fifteen minutes go by, my phone is beeping its battery death rattle in my ear.

Her: Sir? Are you still there?
Me: Yes I am, but my phone is about to die, is someone on the way?
Her: I can’t find a zip code for Cheyenne. Oh, wait, let me try this one….

I’m on hold again. Three minutes pass.

Her: Sir, what sort of service do you need?
Me: I don’t care, send a tow truck, or a locksmith or a taxi or anyone that will bring me fuel!
Her: ok….

My phone dies.

So I figure she’s got someone on the way and I wait. Its 12:30pm at this point in time. I took some pictures to pass the time.

Four hours pass. No help has arrived. Finally, someone stops, this is the first time since I’ve been there. He let me use his phone, I called my voicemail. I had a message from the Roadside Assistance bitch that went like this;

“Sir, I was unable to find any services in Cheyenne. Thank you for calling Verizon Wireless Roadside Assistance, have a good day.”

She left me to twist. A 12 hour walk in any direction, she knew full well that I couldn’t call anyone else, she just left me out there.

“Verizon Wireless left me to die. With pics!” [AR15.com]

Comments

1. Oh. My.

What a truly scary situation. And Verizon, I’m not a cusser…but WTF?!??

2. BoomerFive says:

hmm, Verizon was certainly inept in this case, but I don’t know that I would have spent so long on hold with a dying phone waiting for someone who obviously didn’t know what they were doing.

• floraposte says:

@BoomerFive: In hindsight, which is from where we’re looking, I’m sure the OP wouldn’t have either. But at the time that’s just psychologically unlikely, because once humans are invested in a particular course of action we think we’re trading a chance for a solution any minute for starting all over again.

• ElizabethD says:

@BoomerFive:
      Yay — Blame the victim in only the 2nd response! Woo hoo.

• BoomerFive says:

@ElizabethD: No, not the OP’s fault Verizaon was inept, just thinking that I may have done things differently. Hard to say of course, as florapaste said, hindsight is certainly 20/20.

• Jackasimov says:

@BoomerFive:Putting myself in the OPs shoes I think I would be just hoping the tech would finally get her shit together since there’s a really good chance that as soon as I hung up and tried dialing out again my phone would simply die.

Also, calling 411 would only get you a number and possibly a connection, and certainly no guarantee of competence.

Maybe I’d just have started with 911 (being stranded qualifies as a emergency, no) though I don’t know if it’s in nationwide use or not.

• Farquar says:

@Jackasimov: Being stranded is not an emergency.

Do not call 911 when you run out of gas. Please.

• @Farquar: i beg to differ.
              stuck on the side of the road, in the middle of nowhere, 20+ miles from anywhere, is definitely close to an emergency. what if the person who stopped was not a good samaritan? he was already waiting for 4+ hours, i wouldn’t have blamed him for calling 911 (but then again, here in Charlotte NC we have 311 for “non-emergency services”)

• Farquar says:

@Gstein: If you really want police assistance because you recently watched an 80′s horror flick use your 411 to find out the number to the county Sherriff’s department. Call their switchboard, which is not an emergency number, and request assistance.

Do you really want to find out that people with actual serious emergencies were unable to get through to 911 because you were trying to find the nearest tow? That shit happens.

Do no call 911. 911 is for reporting incidents involving serious injury, and actual suspected serious criminal activity.. You know, actual emergencies that require immediate assistance. It is not because you ran out of gas and this creates a non-existant possibility that the next driver along will be carrying a chainsaw and will want to make a new suit out of your skin.

• Roclawzi says:

@Farquar: So if my neighbor’s away on vacation and his house catches fire, I shouldn’t call 911 because there’s no real risk to life and it’s not illegal to have your house burn down. Got it.

The point wasn’t that there would be a killer in the next car. But if the next car didn’t stop, how long until the next car? 4 more hours? And if that car didn’t stop? How long do you have to be stranded before it’s ok to call 911? Or do you walk back 22 miles rather than make a phone call to 911?

I’m not saying that 911 doesn’t get too many pointless calls, but stranded in a remote spot isn’t pointless. I mean, if they can spend time dealing with the woman who didn’t get the burger king hamburger how she wanted it and called 911, they can deal with this.

• Farquar says:

@Roclawzi: The point is not that they couldn’t deal with it.. surely they could.. But its not an emergency. Your argument, essentialy, is that because others misuse 911 for trivial purposes its okay for this purpose to use 911 because their situation is not as trivial.

The situation you describe does not necessitate emergency services. Call 411, get the number to the sheriff’s department if you want to go that route.. Your concern about the length of the wait is addressed without using 911.

If you want to latch on to the fact that I was unable to think of every possible emergency that might justify using 911 (housefire example) by all means. It doesn’t have anything to do with whether it is right to call 911 over running out of gas.

I’ll redefine an emergency for 911 purposes: Do you expect an emergency vehicle to arrive with its lights flashing and its sirenes on? If so call 911, if not do not call 911. Is that reasonable?

• Roclawzi says:

@Farquar: My point is that what is trivial to the outside observer is not necessarily trivial to the person involved. If a crazy person calls 911 because they hear the incessant beeping of the robot overlord that failed to kill him in ‘Nam but finally used the power of the internet to track him down because he forgot to wrap his 3G cell phone in the tin foil the moment he got home, are they wrong to do so? Probably. Most likely the people would arrive to discover the threat is actually a microwave trying to tell the guy his burrito is done. But to them, it seemed like imminent danger. Granted, this example is a crazy person who will likely be locked up in a cuckoo bin for drawing attention to the fact, but the example stands to ask this:

How desperate are you feeling after 4 hours waiting for help? How desperate would you be if the only car that came in a 4 hour span drove right past you? How worried about your own survival would you be? How scared do you have to be to call 911?

What if it were freezing temperatures? Is that enough need?

You can’t necessarily say someone is wrong for feeling the need to call 911 from the outside, you would have to be in the situation yourself.

All of this, of course, is a moot point, since he didn’t call 911, but still, the person are there to help those in trouble, and if someone decides to call on them and it’s not an emergency, the police will not be shy in telling them that, usually with a court appearance and a fine.

• Farquar says:

@Roclawzi: Again, how is any of what you typed not addressed by using 411 and getting the number to the local Sheriff’s Department?

• Roclawzi says:

@Farquar: Sense of urgency.

• mackjaz says:

@Roclawzi: I work at a PD, and I gotta side with Farquar on this one. Plan ahead, call 411 if you really need help, but reserve 911 for EMERGENCIES. Is someone bleeding? Is something on fire? Could these things happen within the next three minutes? If so, call 911. If not, call a friend or a tow truck.

• homerjay says:

@BoomerFive: Its easy to look back and say “I wouldn’t have waited on hold for 15 minutes” but realistically once you’re on hold you’re on hold. At any second someone could pick up. If you hang up after 10 minutes then you just wasted that 10 minutes, especially if someone was going to pick up after 11 minutes.

3. Fist-o™ says:

That sucks dude!

I don’t know if this would have helped you, but “Goog411″ has worked for me in the past, but not with any crucial ran-out-of-gas-in-the-middle-of-nowhere scenarios! 1-800-goog-411 yeah, it’s google

• velvetjones says:

@Fist-o: I agree. Also if you can download it to your bb/phone, googlemaps is a freaking lifesaver. I hope he calls verizon and rips them a new one.

• NotATool says:

@Fist-o: Exactly! Goog411 – tell it city, state and what you need. It can even text the address/phone # you request to your phone for reference. Excellent service. And a great opportunity to use it here, running out of gas in the middle of nowhere.

All that and it’s free.

4. mbz32190 says:

When you saw the Verizon CSR wasn’t going to solve your problem, why didn’t you call someone else right away, since you knew your phone was about to die anyway? And if it was just a fuel problem, I’m sure the local police could have helped you out (and for less than some random tow service)…they do in most places I know. Yes, Verizon is somewhat to blame, but it’s common sense to call someone else when you see the one person is not going to be cooperative.

• LoriLynn says:

@mbz32190: because at that point she could have come back at any second saying “help is on the way.” If he had hung up and dialed someone else the phone could have died before he had even gotten to tell someone the problem. See floraposte’s comment.

• BoomerFive says:

@mbz32190: Exactly what I was thinking, though florapaste has a great point as well.

• cynu414 says:

@mbz32190: It kinda makes sense to call them. They do have “roadside assistance” in their title.

5. emona says:

I don’t have any direct experience with Verizon, but from what I’m reading perhaps they should read from their script less and listen more. (I could think of a lot of companies who could benefit from that, actually.)

Having said that, those are some lovely photos.

• velvetjones says:

@emona: when you call 411 from a verizon cell, a verizon person answers

• stacye says:

@emona: He did say this (which was omitted from the Consumerist article):

It probably wasn’t fair, I don’t think she was really a Jewish shemale.

• P_Smith says:

@emona: Tsk-tsk on OP for swearing out an innocent 411 operator who was only doing her job.

If the operator asked about Verizon, then she obviously works for the company. The company was the problem, ergo, anyone who works for the company is the problem.

The real question is, if the OP dialed 411 why couldn’t he get an operator that wasn’t working to further one specific company’s agenda?

• trujunglist says:

@P_Smith:

I’m not sure how getting angry at some random person solves the problem. If anything, it could’ve not helped at all when the lady decides to hang up on the rude caller. That lady had nothing to do with it; for all she knows, Verizon roadside assistance is great and the people there know what they’re doing. It’s her job to ask the question, not to follow through with the service. That’s like saying you should get all retarded on a waiter when the chef totally screws up by putting maggots in your meal. It’s not the waiter’s fault, and the waiter isn’t even the one you’d want to complain to.. it’s the people who are in charge of the chef.

6. zigziggityzoo says:

A humorous telling of a very scary story. Why in the world would they need a Zip Code? What’s next, asking for Latitude and Longitude?

7. Adisharr says:

Verizon has great reception around here but their directory service sucks donkey testicles. I’m amazed when they can actually find a phone number for a business I’m looking for.

8. Trevor says:

Oh gee, Verizon is inept when it comes to customer service? In other news, Clay Aiken is gay.

9. Roclawzi says:

I’m sure there will be a charge on your bill for using Verizon roadside assistance. And while it’s unlikely that she couldn’t do anything without a zip code, she was probably spelling Cheyenne as “Chaiann” and the computer couldn’t handle it.

It really sickens me that verizon would have roadside assistance that didn’t take the calls seriously. I mean, it’s not like dialing 911, but when someone needs help on the road, whether it’s 22 miles from Cheyenne or stuck on the Jersey Turnpike, it’s a dangerous situation. A voice mail to a phone you were TOLD WAS RUNNING OUT OF POWER (and probably ignored) that help wasn’t coming is totally unacceptable. Fake help is far worse than no help at all. There are so many what ifs that could have made this story tragic (and likely never to be told) that Verizon should be ashamed of themselves, and close off their fake “roadside disinterest”

• GMFish says:

@Roclawzi: There are so many what ifs that could have made this story tragic (and likely never to be told) that Verizon should be ashamed of themselves, and close off their fake “roadside disinterest”

If this would have been a pretty white woman and her kids, this story would be national news. Verizon is damn lucky it was a guy.

• Roclawzi says:

@GMFish: And lucky the weather was tolerable, too. That’s the ad Verizon needs, a dead young woman frozen with one arm wrapped around her frozen dead children and the other arm holding a Verizon phone, her face frozen in a frustrated scream at the phone!

• Barbarisater says:

@Roclawzi: I agree. I would duly check both phone bill and CC bills. Since “roadside assistance” was not provided I would dispute any charges forthwith.

• Shadowman615 says:

@Roclawzi: I agree, she probably couldn’t figure out how to spell Cheyenne. And probably wasn’t even smart enough to know that the first way she tried to spell it was wrong.

• nursetim says:

@Roclawzi:
      a little off topic, but I remember years ago reading a column by Mike Royko about his frustration at an operator that couldn’t spell Chicago. He was a columnist for one of the Chicago papers, so he was probably doubly offended. We have had AAA for years, and I have had to use them a few times. They have always been able to figure out where I am hand send help in a timely matter.

10. jgodsey says:

do they have triple A in Wyoming?

• LankanDude says:

@jgodsey:
      AFAIK AAA is available any where in USA. They seems to have a good network of independent two truck and repair shops.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@jgodsey: As LankanDude said, AAA is available everywhere in the U.S. and I think also in Canada (available to U.S. Citizens who may be traveling in Canada) but you have to be a member. It’s not something you just get with the purchase of a car or something. I have AAA and carry the card with me at all times. When my car died at a shopping center parking lot, we called AAA to tow it to a shop. They charged far, far less than any Joe Schmoe towing company, and were pretty trustworthy. The driver called me when he picked up the vehicle, called me during the drive to give me an ETA, and then called me when he got there and gave me a quote.

11. DannyG227 says:

That abandoned farm in the first picture looks like something out of a scary movie. Good to know you finally made it out there alright and that someone actually stopped to help. I would send corporate a letter about the situation. Thats totally messed up.

12. Roclawzi says:

Oh, and 82001-82010 are all Cheyenne, Wyoming zip codes. It took me 11 seconds to find that out. She went for a smoke in parking lot or a poke in the ladies room.

13. crazedhare says:

I think, in this case, the swearing at an innoncent 411 operater was completely understandable. Extreme stress, and all. Verizon’s response here is completely unforgivable, yet frankly I won’t be surprised if your next bill shows some over-the-top “convenience fee” for this “service”.

14. Bladefist says:

I would have called a friend or family member, told them my details, and have them do all the calls for me. With battery life, etc, you’ll need someone else who can stay on the phone for that stuff.

• B says:

@Bladefist: Or just plug the phone into the car charger.

• RonDiaz says:

@B: Uh…”I had one bar left on the battery so I went looking for my car charger. I didn’t bring it. I don’t know anyone in Cheyenne, so I dialed 411.”

Your blame the OP comment is FAIL today.

• formatc says:

@RonDiaz: Why does it matter where they are? Get a friend, family member, or coworker on the phone and tell him/her where you are and that you need help. As long as they’ve got a phone, they can make the calls to get you help.

• MissPeacock says:

@B: From the article:
        “I had one bar left on the battery so I went looking for my car charger. I didn’t bring it.”

15. Half Beast says:

Seriously, AAA ftfw.

I remember breaking down about 20 miles outside of Baker, CA…I called AAA and must’ve lucked out dispatch-wise…within 10 minutes there was a truck there and in under 45 minutes, I was staring at the world’s largest thermometer waiting on my car repairs to finish.

I’ve only needed to call on AAA a few times, but everytime they’ve more than delivered.

• Gopher bond says:

@half-beast: I hear that, I have AAA-Plus. People always say that the $65/year is too expensive. Well, one early morning abour 2:30 A.M. a few years ago, my water pump exploded in the middle of nowhere, 70 miles aways from my home. I called AAA and a guy was there in 20 minutes. Towed me right to me front door plus he stopped for coffee on the way too.

• Meretrice says:

@testsicles: The people who say AAA is expensive don’t realize that one tow will pay for the service. They are truly excellent.

(I’m not a shill for AAA, I swear)

• Gopher bond says:

@Meretrice: On the 70 mile tow, I had plenty of time to talk and I asked the driver what someone would do in my situation if they didn’t have AAA. He said, well, you’d probably have to sit and wait a couple of hours, then spend about $500 to get towed to a local repair center and get hosed for about 3-4 times more than you would anywhere else because they have you over a barrel. That one time had paid for the 10 years I’ve had it.

• ionerox says:

@half-beast: I <3 AAA. Services I’ve received through them have more than paid for the yearly fee. A single tow alone covers the cost, but the fact that they are usually very friendly and sympathetic helps too. The AAA battery truck folks are especially helpful (and I dig that they’ll sell/install a battery right then and there).

• EllaMcWho says:

@testsicles: Seriously – are you me? That happened to me between WmsBurg & Richmond, VA at 230AM, too. The guy towed me all the way to VA Beach (70+ miles) for free (AAA Plus) and took me to my parents’ home after we had dropped the car at the dealership (another 20 miles away). Good stuff!

• Toof_75_75 says:

@half-beast:
      Having been driving older cars for the last bunch of years, AAA has always paid for itself. It’s really a great service and the customer service is always excellent.

I’m glad the OP had the same idea I would have had…desert target practice, ftw.

• katiat325 says:

@half-beast: yeah, AAA rules. My car has broken down on me a few times, usually after I’d park, go to the store for some groceries, come out and it won’t start again. AAA was there in under 30 min, drove it to my mechanic, and were really friendly. Yeah, their yearly tow fee is worth it…I’ve had to call them about 3 times in the past year (but at least now the car is running fine).

• Jen P says:

@half-beast: Absolutely. Living in the wide-open west, AAA Plus is a necessity. A few years ago, I broke down in Helper, Utah, on Easter Sunday, returning from a camping trip with a car full of three people and two dogs.

The guy AAA sent came with a flatbed truck and didn’t blink an eye when I said we needed to get home to Ogden, more than 100 miles away. He told us we’d have to ride in my car on the flatbed because we couldn’t all fit in the truck, so we went into a gas station and got some beer and snacks, then rode home. He brought the car to the Subaru dealership (which we said we could walk the dogs home from), then went out of his way on his return trip to drop our friend off at her apartment in Salt Lake.

I think I had to pay about $60 out of pocket because the tow was over my 100 free miles. I’m pretty sure that trip alone was worth what I’ve paid in premiums since – and just the other week, I had to use them again for an in-town tow. Again, quick, excellent service.

• knyghtryda says:

@half-beast:
      I’ve heard many good things about AAA. My commute is mainly city and suburbia so a tow is normally cheap or free, but for anyone else who has long drives or just want a bit of extra protection, its great. The only time I had to use AAA was for them to break into my car cuz I locked my keys inside. Thankfully a friend had AAA and 30 minutes later someone came, and 30 minutes after that (apparently my car was quite difficult to break into…) I had my keys.

• pax says:

@half-beast: Yes, get yourself a AAA membership. Even here in NYC it’s a steal at $45/year. You want to change your own tire at three a.m. on the side of an on-ramp in February? Didn’t think so, and yes, that is a true story.

16. Klaus_Kinsky says:

If you call 1-800-THE-INFO you can use it like a yellow pages over the phone…. yourself!… no crappy csr.

17. cottercutie says:

I had to use Verizon’s Roadside Assistance once when I broke down. Tow was there in less than an hour and cost me nothing since I subscribed to their service.

Much better experience than when AAA left me stranded in the middle of Philadelphia on a Sunday afternoon when they “forgot” about me!

18. Bangalore, India to the rescue!

19. VA_White says:

USAA roadside assistance! They are great. 26 minutes from when I called to when I was on my way home. No shit.

• joshua70448 says:

@VA_White: I second that. I’ve had to use USAA Roadside Assistance twice in the last month (stupid car alternator/battery problems) and had a tow truck show up within 10 minutes and 25 minutes (respectively), and had no problems getting a tow to a dealership. They’ve even got an automated callback system that tells you which towing service is coming and an estimated time for arrival, and after that time the same system calls again to make sure service arrived. Definitely worth the $1/month/car insurance premium!

20. Shappie says:

why not dial 911?

21. CoffeeDaze says:

I’ve been left out to dry twice by Verizon Roadside in urban areas! They have the worst roadside I have ever used. I highly recommend canceling the service and getting something else.

22. opsomath says:

I’d have been pretty furious too, for all those that tsked for him swearing. I even get mad when the first thing AAA wants me to do is give them my card number, which has like 5000 digits…usually I’m reading it by the brief bursts of light I get from the headlights of cars careering by at 90 miles an hour…seriously, it’s not like it would do me any good to call them if I didn’t have a valid card, so can we take care of this AFTER I’m out of trouble?

Roadside assistance’s job is to deal with people who are having serious trouble. Instead of focusing on reading scripts, they need to make sure they’re helping their customers.

• zentex says:

@opsomath: Did anyone else notice how heavily armed the OP is? I mean, the story is sourced from “AR15.com.”

…and? even those of us who could start a small revolution need roadside assistance sometimes.

• opsomath says:

@zentex: Oh, I’m not complaining. If anything, it’s nice to know that the guy was in no danger of being robbed or beaten by local bored teenagers, or something.

And at least he had something to do while he was waiting…I usually carry books in my beater (which has stranded me more than once) otherwise I’d be reduced to reading the car manufacturer’s manual.

23. TracyHamandEggs says:

I used to drive alot for work, and have used multiple roadside assistances.

Verizon, decent
    CellOne – very bad. wouldnt bring me gas w/o a cc number, which I didnt have on me.
    State Farm – Slow but helpful
    AAA-Overrated. They complete screwed me twice. Then sent me a tow that wouldnt take me more then 5 miles without a hefty charge.

• GMFish says:

@TracyHamandEggs!: “Then sent me a tow that wouldnt take me more then 5 miles without a hefty charge.

I’m pretty sure that is AAA’s stated policy. In the 80s I had a car with a short so every so often the battery would be dead. I called AAA about a couple times a week and, completely for free, they’d send out a truck to give me a jump. This went on for months. Finally, I got the problem fixed. I actually felt bad for AAA, that I was using the service too much.

• Toof_75_75 says:

@TracyHamandEggs!:
      Get AAA Plus. Doesn’t cost that much more each year, but you get more emergency service allowances per year plus the ability to be towed 100 miles w/o a charge to you.

24. nataku8_e30 says:

It’s a good idea to reset your trip-meter every time you fill up, and get a good idea as to what kind of range your vehicle can get on a tank. I really don’t trust fuel gauges at all…

25. Pasketti says:

AAA.

Saved my bacon three times so far.

26. dave731 says:

That is an unfortunate story, with a very bad CSR from Verizon. I have Verizon roadside assistance added to my cell service. I have used it several times in various citys (never tried in in Wyoming) and they are always helpful and prompt.

27. Gopher bond says:

One tip, I always reset my trip odometer when I get a tank of gas, that way I know how far I can travel until I run out without having to rely on the gauge. The guage in my jeep often gets stuck on either empty or full but I do this regardless of whether the guage is broken. It’s just a good thing to know.

28. MaxSmart32 says:

I kinda like that the OP could provide photographs, including that lovely one of his stranded ‘Burb. Oh what, its 2008. GMC calls their monster SUV a Yukon XL. Jeesh.

29. tgpt says:

Another note that even if you don’t have an AAA membership, you can still call 1-800-AAA-HELP from pretty much anywhere. They’ll charge you your firstborn, three limbs, and a pile of gold, but they’ll send help.

30. Moosehawk says:

CSR: “Are you at home?”
    Stranded driver: “Yea, THAT’S why I’m calling roadside assistance. Idiot.”

• Gopher bond says:

@Moosehawk: I called AAA from home once. I got really drunk and took home a rather uncomely female companion. I couldn’t wait for her to leave and when she did I locked the door. Unfortunately, she had locked her keys in her car and came back knocking on my door. Instead of letting her in I just told her to wait outside while I called AAA.

Save it, I know I was a jerk.

31. Inanimate says:

I was outside of denver once on vacation and locked my keys in my rental car like an idiot.

I called Enterprise’s roadside assistance which put me through to AAA. They required a US credit card number before they would send anyone out to me, but being canadian, I couldn’t comply.

I had to call the Enterprise office back and the manager gave them his credit card number before a locksmith finally came out an hour later and pried the door open enough for us to fish the keys out through the gap.

At least they didn’t charge me for it.

32. The-Tree says:

my multiple Verizon roadside assitance have been anything but the OP’s story. I am sorry you had such bad luck.

but no car charger, and not knowing yoru own car had a sticky needle? ehhhhh kinda gotta say you should be more prepared.

• GearheadGeek says:

@The-Tree: There is always a first time that a system fails. The fuel gauge might have worked normally up until this trip. The phone charger thing, maybe… I leave my car charger in the car (strange place for it, right?) but perhaps he has one charger and multiple vehicles.

33. TheFuzz53 says:

I swear to God that in order to work at any Verizon call center you must first be subject to a lobotomy. These people are the most inept moron on the face of the earth. The only viable explanation, other than lobotomoies, is that they hire all of their employees from ARC.

Something needs to be done about this companies customer service. They’re actual products are great, but the service should be considered criminal and be filed under “cruel and unusual punishment” requiring them to straighten up.

34. Mfalconieri says:

I thought Fios was so fast? She couldn’t find the zip code? I am sticking with cable! Lol

35. JayCor says:

Why not call 911? 911 dispatchers have contacts to local tow companies, or can at least send a trooper out to make sure you’re not hit alongside the road.

36. AlastairOcella says:

I would have called 911… Or a friend with google to have them call places for me. Roadside assistance from any company is just about useless. Took me an hour in a JUST outside of a POPULATED area to get a tow truck when I broke down in 10 BELOW 0 weather… they sent a truck from another county… AARP told me two hours, luckily the guy they called had already had his truck running and he was there sooner than expected. AARP would not let me leave the car to be picked up, they wanted me to stay with it… It was my grandmothers car, if they had made her sit in sub freezing temps for 2 hours just because they wanted someone with the car when they got there they wouldnt have had a happy camper.

37. GreatWhiteNorth says:

Unfortunate experience with Verizon… But the real story here is that running out of gas put someone in what could become a dangerous situation.

Two Lessons to be Learned:

1. Don’t trust your gas gauge. You should learn to use the trip odometer in your vehicle to gauge how far you have traveled since your last fill. You fill the tank full and reset the trip odometer to zero. When you next fill the tank mentally note how far you have traveled and then reset the trip odometer. After a few resets you will have a good idea how far you can go on a tank of fuel. Keep doing this and you can always compare the two measures of how much fuel or range you have left before having to walk.

I do this on my vehicles and it not a problem. One of my vehicles is 24 years old and the fuel gauge is not as reliable as it once was so using the trip odometer keeps me from walking down the road with a bright red fuel can.

Other benefit is that it can alert you to changes in your fuel economy resulting from problems with the vehicle. Get it checked before it gets you stranded.

2. Don’t trust Verizon or any other phone company to actually give half a crap about you. They have, after all, already got your money.

38. sspeedracer says:

$150? Did this include a happy ending?

• Gopher bond says:

@sspeedracer: unfamiliar with the towing business are we? $150 is EXCELLENT price.

• GearheadGeek says:

@testsicles: Excellent price my fat hairy butt. For a 23-mile tow, $150 is a GIFT. Nearly a freebie. Outside membership in an auto club like AAA or the (failed!) Verizon Roadside, $150 is on the high end of what tow companies charge just to come out and hook up your car. ($50-$150 seems to be the range.) I’ll keep AAA as long as at least one of our cars isn’t covered by factory roadside… every time my partner buys a pair of glasses it pays for a couple of years of our family membership anyway.

39. Ein2015 says:

“I also picked up some of the bottles and cans from the roadside, carried them a few hundred yards off the road into an empty field and had a little target practice.”

Yup, sounds like AR15.com alright. And “heavily armed” doesn’t describe a person who may have only had one little pistol.

The forums there are great for anybody who’s a gun lover/enthusiast/wants to learn. I wouldn’t go there to spout an anti-gun stuff… you won’t like the response much.

Thanks, Ben, for posting this nugget of goodness!

40. homerjay says:

I would really love to hear Verizon’s response to this. This definitely warrants a follow-up posting.

• stacye says:

@homerjay: This is followup on the web site:

I just got off the phone with Heather, supervisor with Verizon Wireless Roadside Assistance. She says she’s real sorry.

I explained to her that leaving someone in the middle of nowhere, with a 12 hour walk to the next town and a phone with no battery when they’ve promised help is nothing short of attempted murder. I requested a tape of the conversation I had with the lady yesterday to present to my lawyers.

I’m not really going to involve a lawyer. I’d just be happy if someone took this lady aside, showed her their pimp hand and fired her for being a dumbass.

Then Heather explained to me that this is not the way it is supposed to happen and shouldn’t deter me from using Verizon Wireless Roadside Assistance in the future. This was my response:

Are you serious? I called you once when I needed help and she left me in the middle of nowhere with no help coming. Maybe that’s not the way its supposed to be, but that’s the way it was. How could I possibly trust you guys ever again? Maybe it was an isolated mistake but what happens when there’s another isolated mistake next time. I mean, I got lucky this time, but it could have easily gone the other way. Out there in the prairie someone could have stopped just long enough to rob me, beat me to death and toss me in the ditch!”

Heather again said she was really sorry and she’ll pull the recording from yesterday and look into it.

41. harlock_JDS says:

wouldn’t it also be a good idea to have a cel phone charger for your car in order to prevent the dieing cel phone issue?

Those still work without gas as far as i know.

and as others have said using the trip odometer would help prevent this problem. Of course it may be kinda depressing to see how little millage you get with that SUV but i find it handy for a lot of things (for example a steady dip in millage is a indicator that a tune up is needed)

42. OprahBabb says:

I am glad to hear that you are and alive and well after that ordeal.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn’t they be able to use your cell phone to possible ping your location to find a zip code?

It honestly sounds like the agent on the phone was new to the job and didn’t know the system very well, if at all.

I work in a call center so I can understand how much information is passed your way in training how intimidating it can be when first on the floor.

Sink or swim essentially. She sank like a rock.

43. Shadowman615 says:

Wow, those Yukons really do eat a lot of gas quickly.

44. YOXIM says:

I am surprised that there are still people in this day and age who will sit there on the phone and punch in their CC, SSN, etc. Just hit 0, and you skip all that unnecessary bullshit. There’s no point of punching in all that stuff when the chances are that the CSR will ask you for it when (if) they pick up anyway.

I have BrightHouse Cable, and any time I call them, their automated system asks me for for the phone number associated with my account, and when I give it, it can’t find it. And the sly motherfuckers made it so that if you hit “0″, you get disconnected. I just say “I don’t have an account” and I get someone on the line right away.

Anyway, back on subject. OP, like others said, disregard the fuel gauge; rely on your odometer instead. I reset mine every time I fill up just so I can see how many miles I can squeeze out of a tank of gas, but thanks to this practice, I now have a very reliable average miles per tank figure that I can rely on when setting off on a long trip.

Also, like I mentioned before, when on the phone, don’t waste your time talking to a machine. Just hit 0 or find another way to circumvent it. I also noticed from the pictures you took that there was a farmhouse nearby. Why not just walk down there and ask them to hook you up with some gas or let you use their phone? (Unless the place was abandoned, in which case, please disregard my comment).

45. Meathamper says:

Nice photo.

46. vdragonmpc says:

I have to state for the record that AAA is a huge steaming pile in Tri-cities VA.

We broke down on the way to GenCon this year and they gave my friend a huge runaround. I got pure love from USAA roadside assistance. Can you believe they called me back several times to check and see how we were doing?

AAA told him that the trailer would have to sit on the highway until we got the vehicle fixed. That meant all the merchandise would be up for grabs for whoever stopped with a hitch. Great!

AAA lost me as a customer when they sent a non-rollback to pick up my car. The guy was determined that he could tow my car. The starter had gone bad and after 45 minutes of him beating on it and me telling him to lay off of the engine as we had already worked it over pretty good he called another driver. Guess what that yahoo did? yup crawled under and tapped on the starter. I made the original call at 10:45pm and didnt see my house until 4:45 in the freakin morning. The AAA moron took 64 across richmond to 295 and then south to petersburg and then back up to Chester! He circled my house by 3 counties!

Never will I go with AAA again. USAA and Amex cover towing just fine.

• Canino says:

@vdragonmpc: Tapping on the starter is not stupid. Many times the problem is that the solenoid is bad or that the arm that moves the starter gear forward is stuck. Tapping it can free it up or shake the solenoid contacts enough to get it to start up one more time.

Tapping can also get your thermostat working if it’s stuck open or closed. It still needs to be replaced, but it can get it unstuck for the short term.

• vdragonmpc says:

@Canino:

After we had told the driver that the starter was done and we had already tapped it which is why I called a tow truck and not a shade tree mechanic.

As a heads up. Once a thermostat has overheated and fused the only thing tapping the water neck will do is dent the water neck. Thermostats are just not a reusable part in my garage.

47. lizk says:

Wow. Of anywhere you could ask to break down, Wyoming isn’t the place. Been there, done that. Montana is also a bad spot to break down.

Hey, at least Verizon didn’t ask what country you were in. The last time I needed roadside assistance in North Dakota (where I LIVE), I had to argue with the person on the phone because they kept trying to put me through to the Canada support team.

48. XDoctor says:

Here’s a follow up for you. Yesterday I spent two hours on the phone trying to get in touch with a manager in the roadside assistance department. Eventually I got ahold of a lovely young girl named Heather. I told her my story and she apologized many, many times. She claims she will speak with the rep I talked to. I have requested a copy of the original tape.

That’s not all the satisfaction I’d like, but its about all I’m going to get.

49. emilymarion333 says:

I drive a ton for work – usually in states that I am not familiar with. I have gotten stuck once and I had no clue what to do – I ended up calling my dad in WA State asking for help.

They were nice enough to buy me a Triple A card – which I have only had to use for discounts the past few years but I fell better that I do have it.

50. midwestkel says:

Not to sound bad but it was probably an overseas CSR and any time I get them and need to find anything or directions they can’t help me. I hang up and get someone that is based in the States and they find it right away.

I would think anything doing with any emergency situation should be located in the States and not overseas as someone here would not make you verify all the information and ask dumb questions following a script they would just get someone out to help.

51. intellivised says:

I live near where the OP is from and I can tell you, this is not a fun place to be out of gas, even when the weather is nice. I had a similar situation where I actually had my windshield wipers freeze/lock in place during a winter storm between Cheyenne and Laramie.

And Verizon, for it’s vaunted network, loses signal a lot out here.

52. OsbornCatreus says:

Wow, I can’t bellieve Verizon would do that, I just recently switched to them from AT&T maybe I should switch back if that’s how they treat their customers. Leaving them out stranded when they call for help. Did you get the name of the woman by any chance

53. MeOhMy says:

They needed the zip code for the capital city? That’s absurd.

Before everyone starts driving around with a spare gallon of fuel in their trunk, that can be pretty dangerous and is also illegal in some places. The advice to use your trip meter to reality-check your fuel gauge is better. If you don’t have a trip meter, you could also write down your mileage.

54. josephlevin says:

It’s a bad thing to have such service from the Verizon folks, I agree. I can understand the ire.

Is it just me thinking this: isn’t the chance of help just a few hundred yards away (owing to the first picture taken)?

What about a car charger for the cellular phone?

Seems a new gas gauge is in order also.

55. startertan says:

An odd contradictory statement is that I think most people know about this but at the same time I’m not sure people do. I recently found out that google has a wealth of txt msg based applications that work great. You can get all sorts of stuff just by sending a text message to 466453 (GOOGLE). Weather, sports scores, directions, ZIP CODES, phone numbers, addresses. Check out all the neat stuff here:

[www.google.com]

56. Sarge1985 says:

Oh, the zip code for Cheyenne, WY is 82001

57. GiacobbeFantaztical says:

Top tip for directory assistance: (800)-GOOG411

Yup, Google 411. It’s not perfect but: (a) free so you can try it first and (b) when it does work, it kicks ass.

58. corinthos says:

I only used roadside assistance from verizon once. I had a car that transmission went out, also had another car though. Put roadside assistance on my car and after like two weeks called to get my car towed to the shop. Then canceled it at the end of the month. So cost me like 3 bucks for a tow.

59. ezmobee says:

AllState’s roadside assistance is also worthless. When my truck overheated on our way to work one time they told me they couldn’t get in touch with any of their tow companies. So they gave me the phone number of another tow company I COULD CALL! Wow, why did I have that service?? I canceled all my AllState products that day and switched it all over to USAA where I should have been in the first place.

60. The morals of the story that I learned:

- Always have quality roadside assistance available (I’ve never had an issue with AAA and have had it [and used it] many times).

- Don’t buy American autos. The gas gauge getting “stuck” on a 5 year old auto boggles the mind.
    The first 20 or so years of my life I was stranded on numerous occassions by American cars. I now buy cars that aren’t built in Mexico.

- Know your auto and use the tripometer. The gas gauge automatically gets a check to its balance if you use the triopmeter and know generally how far you can go on a tank of gas.

- Always keep a loaded weapon in your auto. I would have also enjoyed the target shooting on the prairie.

61. Rhayader says:

She couldn’t find the zip code???? Doesn’t she know how to use Google?

I’m not a Verizon customer, and this story is not really swaying me.

62. dj_skilz says:

You never dealt with VZW period. Both operators you talked to were from other companies.

VZW 411 is outsourced, I forget who it was taken over by these days, the division was sold off.

Use Goog-411, don’t waste the $1.25

2nd, Verizon’s Roadside assitance is handled by a 3rd party just like the insurance policies are handled by Asurion/LockLine and the In-Store Tech’s are really Solectron employee’s.

Your problem lies with GE Motor Club not Verizon.

[support.vzw.com]

DISCLAIMER: Former VZW employee here.

Consumerist please use due dillegence in your reporting, too many stories here are leaving out vital details.

• TracyHamandEggs says:

@dj_skilz: I don’t care if they outsource it to ATT. Verizon gets 100% of the blame for this. When you offer a “Service” and then fail to follow through on it you are the guilty party, and deserve the blame.

If I hire someone to build a house, and his carpenter screws up and forgets to add stairs who is on the hook to fix the problem, the guy I contracted with or the stranger he hired to do the work?

• Rhayader says:

@dj_skilz: If It’s called “Verizon Roadside Assistance”, then Verizon is ultimately responsible for keeping their customers happy.

If they subcontract it out, it is their own business. The service still has the “Verizon” branding, meaning customers expect Verizon to take care of them.

And don’t blame Consumerist or the OP for leaving out “vital details”. Whoever answered the phone (under Verizon’s name, if not in their employ) did a completely awful job of customer service.

63. MisterTerry says:

That sounds about right.

In my younger days, I thought it sounded like a good deal to pay the extra $3-$4 fee a month on my cingular bill for their roadside assistance service. After having paid this monthly fee for over a year, it finally occurred that I needed to use it. When I called after having broken down on the side of the interstate, I was promptly asked what address I was located at, I replied with the nearest mile marker I had just past on the interstate. Their response, “Sir, we can’t send anyone out unless we have an address to send them.”

They would not budge and that’s how it ended. My parents drove over an hour to come collect me from the side of the interstate.

What a rip off.

64. ianmac47 says:

There are so many morals to this story that have nothing to do with Verizon. Perhaps driving a vehicle that does better than 17mpg highway. Or another reason to avoid flyover states.

65. jwissick says:

My AAA gives me 100 miles.

66. HighontheHill says:

Seeing your photos made my heart ache.

I’m a Wyoming native now out in Connecticut and not a day goes by I don’t miss home. Breathtakingly beautiful country there.

The Verizon customer-no-service-rep should be fired for her idiocy. At the very least she could have called the Highway Patrol and told them everything she knew of your plight and location.

But that’s not on the script is it?

67. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Nissan’s Gold Preferred warranty package includes roadside assistance, rental car, and hotel reimbursement if you’re stuck in the middle of nowhere. I haven’t used it yet, and I hope I won’t have to.

68. UNREAL! I contacted the consumerist over the weekend about Verizon wireless because I blogged about a consumerist post on Verizon/Kelsey Smith. I found out even MORE info, other cases of Verizon marketing their “safety” features but not following through.

Here is most recent post
    [tinyurl.com]

Here is post that linked to consumerist post from 9-17
    [tinyurl.com]

Please use your consumerist good mojo to let people know more about this. I have no axe to grind, I’m just a pissed off mom. Thanks.

69. dj_skilz says:

When you enroll in either Insurance, or Roadside Assistance you recieve a T&C’s brochure directly from the provider or the policy. Just like when you buy the extended warranty thru Target/Walmart, etc.

VZW is not in the business of Roadside Assitance or Insuring their equipment, not warranty service. Its the same premise as services offered by your bank that have nothing to do with them, other pamphlet inside your monthly statement.

VZW earns revenue of selling these services, but acts as little more than a referral point.

Technically it is not their problem, and if VZW does respond to the situation with a credit & such they have gone beyond the terms of the customer agreement.

70. BernadetteAesop says:

And a final bit of indignity is that you paid around $2 for each one of those 411 calls to Verizon.

Given the same situation again, you’d be better off just dialing 1-800-FREE411 (as free as it sounds) and specifying Cheyenne, WY, and then getting the # for a tow company.

71. I just tweeted this story, blogged about it on my blog, White Trash Mom.

72. LetaOogle says:

I had almost the exact same experience with AT&T roadside.

Him: Are you safe?
    Me: Yes.
    Where are you?
    I’m on a little county road. I don’t know the number, but I can tell someone how to get here.
    Sir I need your exact address or they won’t come out.
    I try for about 5 mins to politely explain the situation.
    They use a GPS, so they can’t find you.
    Ok, can I talk to someone else, please? Not to complain or anything, just someone that can help?
    SURE YOU CAN!
    fortunately a neighbor happened to pass by.

i HATE customer service drones. jerks every one.

73. katylostherart says:

that’s sucky.

watch your mileage not your fuel gauge.

74. damitaimee says:

i hope verizon decides to “take this seriously”

75. That, for lack of a better term, is just fucked up.

76. RodolfoRabulous says:

AAA has always paid for itself in my house. I will carry it for the rest of my life.

77. wdnobile says:

It amazes me and the readieness of folks on this board to always blame the OP – astouding

78. XDoctor says:

To the Verizon suck-up, I don’t care if Verizon’s Roadside Assistance is outsourced. They put their name on it, they can take responsibility for leaving me in the middle of nowhere when they offered help. Yeah, there was a problem with the vehicle which has been rectified, but there is no vehicle on the road right now that will never suffer from a mechanical problem. The point is that I called them for help when I needed it, they are in the business of helping people on the road when they need it and they failed monumentally.

Also, that first picture with the building in it is of a derelict ranch. No one has lived there in years.

79. lincolnparadox says:

Wyoming may be desolate, but you were on I-25. State Troopers patrol 45- or 150-mile stretches in Wyoming. If you had stayed in your car with a white rag hanging out of your window, the most that you would have had to wait would be 2 hours, and that’s assuming that you were parked right outside of a weigh-station or a State Trooper den. Chances are, an officer would have seen your car in about an hour. I also carry an emergency CB radio with me when I’m driving through Wyoming. It’s saved my bacon twice now.

Looking at those pictures makes me miss Wyoming. It may not be green, but it’s cool and allergen-free.

80. flakeyblakee says:

You can always send a text message to chacha asking for a tow service in the town you are in. http://www.chacha.com its great for free address look’s or general life questions

81. MrEvil says:

Hmmm, makes me really think about purchasing a AAA membership. Discounted hotel room rates are also a plus of being a AAA member. As much driving as I do (but rarely more than 100 miles from home) it just might be worth it. I was kinda worried on Tuesday since I was 90 miles from home in a town that didn’t seem to have a single road diesel dispenser in it. Luckily found an un-manned station with Diesel at a non-gouging price.

82. iDuckie says:

That’s horrible. Seriously. Especially since there is really nothing between Casper and Cheyenne (my aunt and uncle live in Casper.) I know exactly where these photos were taken… I’ve been on this drive so many times to Casper and South Dakota. Lovely country…

I wouldn’t blame Verizon on this though. I think Verizon contracts their roadside assistance through Asurion. Definitely call Verizon and find out who does their RSA and file a complaint.

83. admiralguy says:

I’ve never called for help when I’ve broken down. I drive junker cars and break down at least once a year, but I always meet the nicest people when stranded. Maybe that’s because only nice folks will stop, or maybe because I’m in rural Oregon. Either way, it makes driving junker cars a little more exciting while I put what would have been a car payment toward my mortgage!

84. SharadiniGerbil says:

I had almost the EXACT same situation happen to me at exactly the same spot ( judging by your pictures ). I was enroute to Ohio due to a family medical emergency when the car in front of me lost control, ate a sign post, kept going and flipped over. Its -10 degree fahrenheit and snowing. I went through verizon roadside assistance to try and find the wyoming/colorado state police to get help. 2 hours later, with the other driver and me screaming at the verizon services people for help… the state police shows up because a trucker had called it in via CB. Seriously these people are trying to kill their customers.

85. baristabrawl says:

These roadside assistance things are a sham. You’re better to have real roadside assistance. For $5 a month, you kinda got what you paid for. :-(

Also? I’d try to get a car charger for your phone. If you turn the key on? The power outlet works…at least you could get service. Also? The police would have probably would have figured out Verizon’s snafu, if you had died out there.

86. banmojo says:

if you’re out on the road, knowingly driving through the boondocks, break down, and DON’T have some kind of AAA type service, then I’m sorry but you’ve gotten what you’ve clearly not planned for, and that’s how Darwinism works.

This bail out plan is bullshit. Let a free market operate as a free market. Bail someone out – they don’t learn shit. Let them twist in the wind, maybe they WILL learn something, but more importantly smarter people will take their place and do better the next time.

Socialism as an economic policy has been proven NOT to work in the long run. We’re running pell mell into the mouth of armageddon with open arms – when the anarchy is upon us all, those who have prepared will be the ones who come out alive.

87. Anonymous says:

H.L Menken was right when he said, “No one ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the American public.” This idiot woman was actually able to find employment when rocket scientists are out of work. FWIW, this is a typical Verizon experience. One of the worst cellular companies of all time.

88. Anonymous says:

I would have called 911, or “O” operator rather than 411. I would hope that the police would have a better chance of finding you. In my part of the world (Metro Chicago) the only way to contact police is 911. They will then transfer you to whichever dept. can solve your problem.

89. Sian says:

not blaming the poster, but this is why I reset my trip odo every fill-up. I know my range on a tank of gas, and won’t start a cross-desert trip if I’ve already gone 290 miles since my last fill-up.

90. Noah Grant Nelson says:

“I then called 411 again and asked for a tow truck. The operator said, “Can I connect you to Verizon Wireless Roadside Assistance?” I told her to go have sex with herself in a tirade of swearing that can only be described as Yosemite Sam uncensored.

One hour later Doug’s Towing from Cheyenne was there, he collected $150 and I was back on the road.”

what a shame. this is such a disgusting attitude to carry. when you dial 411, 611, whatever, you are calling people that want nothing more than to make you happy and appreciative. instead, you treat them badly because you think it’s going to reward you with some sort of result. the first person you spoke to at Verizon was probably an idiot. they are everywhere. the second person was probably competent, polite, and knowledgeable, and did not deserve your “tirade”. (didn’t your mother teach you to speak to girls nicely?) at any rate, i felt bad for you until i read that. now i kind of think you deserved it.

91. workerbeeVRSA says:

I work for dispatch customer care Verizon. Did you try to call back to road side and complain? It could of gotten you 50 in gas cards. Never mind, you wouldn’t look to see if you need gas where ever you were. Good news the system is to finally be upgraded by Christmas, a zip will no longer be needed. 911 is a good idea. Dumb idea , low battery and not paying attention to your gas gauge. Your not even a member at 3 dollars a month at least we now offered service for non members.

92. crystal4134 says:

on 3 times, the reps were very rude and 3 hours later I ended up calling a tow truck myself because nova 1 said there were none available in my area. If you pay for roadside assistance through nova 1 CANCEL it because it is a rip off!! I asked the name of the company and said nova 1 but they represent verizon wireless. I work fr verizon wireless and they are no part of the company, But you can believe any account that i see has this feature, that I will tell them to cancel this service because it is horrible!!!