The Video That Got A Grandmother Escorted Off JetBlue In Handcuffs

JetBlue really doesn’t know when to leave well enough alone! Remember Marilyn Parver, the grandmother who was arrested for videotaping a fight between two other passengers, and then refusing to delete it? Well, it seems that after the whole thing had blown over — JetBlue had to go and send the woman a nasty email in which they accused her of being “argumentative, condescending and belligerent” and refusing to obey the instructions of crewmembers. Dumb! Now Parver has released the tape in question and we can’t see anything wrong with what she did. The fight is one of those basic “I’ve been on a plane for a really long time with your out-of-control child and I’m having a nervous breakdown” altercations. Nothing cookies and hugs wouldn’t fix!

Here’s the video. One passenger is heard telling a woman and a child to get the hell out of his seating area, and the woman says that he should go to sleep and take a sleeping pill. The man also asks why the woman can’t control her child, blah, blah, blah.

Christopher Elliott says JetBlue could have handled this differently, and we have to agree. He’s his take on it:

I think JetBlue could have handled this differently. Rather than sending a lengthy, defensive letter to the customer, the airline could have tried to patch things up. It’s obvious that she wasn’t taping the flight deck for nefarious purposes. Arguments between passengers such as the one she taped are pretty common these days.

The crew overreacted and the company overreacted. Its letter to Parver has just reopened old wounds.

Here’s the video that got grandmother detained on JetBlue flight [Elliott]

Comments

1. juggler314 says:

I will never understand why people that have children think that everyone else should put up with them…like when I see an adult movie and someone shows up with a 4 or 5 year old in tow (and this happens at times when the kids should already be asleep too). Then they get pissed if someone says something about their annoying and loud child…

• MikeF74 says:

@juggler314: Exactly! Why do people feel like they have to bring their kids with them when traveling long distances. Why don’t they just lock them in their bedroom for a week while they travel. Sheesh, the nerve of some people to travel anywhere with their offspring.

• ViperBorg says:

I see nothing wrong with what the person recording this did. JetBlue is full of ignorant idiots.

@juggler314: Yeah, I don’t get that either. You had the kid lady, not me. Hire a babysitter. And if your taking a small child on a long flight, you better find something for your kid to do, it’s not my job to entertain your offspring. It’s yours.

• JulesNoctambule says:

@juggler314: I think some people want the cultural approval that comes of having children without actually having to do any of that nasty, difficult ‘parenting’ stuff.

Like JetBlue in this case, it’s easier for them to inconvenience others than to get off their ass and do the right thing.

• The_IT_Crone says:

@juggler314: Agreed. Mature movies in theaters, expensive restaurants, etc. I honestly don’t understand why I should have to listen to a screaming kid in these instances. Babysitting IS an acceptable route, but everyone’s special snowflake is now too special for babysitters. So I should spend $50 on a meal that feels like I’m in a kindergarten classroom.

On a plane, I sometimes understand (if the kid isn’t a newborn), but the parents need to make SOME effort to control their children. This particular kid was CLIMBING on a man in a different row!

• @juggler314:

I worked late at a grocery store and would see parents with kids around 5-7 years old at 11:30 at night. Why would you do that to your kid? Leave your kid at home to sleep. It was usually (you can remember peoples faces when there are only 10 people shopping from 11pm-12am) these kids that were loud screaming ones too.

• Phil.D. says:

@LiquidGravity: Those people were probably single parents who had no resources for child care at that time of night. Would you leave your child home, alone, at 11:30 at night?

• SBR249 says:

@Phil.D.: Then it would be in the interest of both the kid and the parent for the parent to plan out their time better so they aren’t shopping in the middle of the night which would require them to take the kid along and necessitating the kid missing his bedtime…

• mythago says:

@LiquidGravity: I’m glad that you have perfect telepathy so as to read every child’s mind and know exactly what their bedtime is and why they are awake at a time you deem improper.

Christ, it’s pitiful that some people can’t actually manage to discuss the issue her (JetBlue’s treatment of the grandmother) and instead need to harp on their pet issues.

• illtron says:

@juggler314: I know what you mean. I saw The Dark Knight twice, and twice there were children who were waaaaay too young. One couldn’t have been older than 2, and the other seemed about 4. People are idiots.

• nataku8_e30 says:

@illtron: I had the EXACT same experience. There were infants in the theater when I went to see Dark Knight (matinee showing at least). I have to admit, they were pretty good for the first couple of hours, but when the movie started in on hour 3, a lot of them just kind of lost it. You would think the parents would at least have the decency to leave the theater at that point, but no – they just gave the kid a half-assed hush every couple of minutes. Seriously – having kids involves making sacrifices.

• Shadowman615 says:

@juggler314: It seems to me like in this case the woman was allowing her child to invade some of the other passenger’s seating areas, which is understandably a problem. But oftentimes a few people just immediately throw an attitude when they see someone with a child and start getting hissy about every little thing.

I’ll be taking a 8-hour flight next year with my daughter who will be around 18 months at the time. She’s very well-behaved, doesn’t scream uncontrollably or any of that, but I’m sure any child that age will have trouble sitting still for that long. Not that I’d let her run off by herself into whatever trouble she could get into.

But really, it’s not that I have entitlement issues or anything like that — but I still don’t think I should have to stay home or leave my child with someone just because some people never want to have to see or hear a child.

• sleze69 says:

@Shadowman615: Why would you take an 18 month old on an 8 hour flight?

• Shadowman615 says:

@sleze69: Well, I was going to fed-ex her but the wife ‘nixed that plan. Sheesh, women.

• Sanveann says:

@sleze69: Why does that matter? Sometimes, people need to get from Point A to Point B. Sometimes, they need or want to take their kid with them. Becoming a parent doesn’t mean forfeiting vacations, visits to family, etc., for the next 18 years.

In May, when my son was 13 months old, we went to England (from Michigan) so that he could meet my husband’s family, which is mostly in the Liverpool area, and so that they could see him. Our little guy was awesome. We got numerous compliments on his good behavior, and many people told us when we were getting off the plane that they hadn’t even realized he was there.

I definitely DO think that parents need to control their kids, and that young children have no place in R-rated movies. But don’t assume that parents have want or need to travel, or that none of us make an effort to get our children to behave.

• ohenry says:

Sometimes people really do need to control their kids; there’s no reason for the kids to be running around and climbing into other people’s seats and such.

However, sometimes, what some folks who don’t have kids don’t understand, is that kids need to cry sometimes. Being loud once in a while does not mean a bad kid or a bad parent.

My little guy is two years old. Overall, he’s a very well-behaved, happy, funny child. However, he has troubles with some things yet, mainly pertaining to cause-and-effect in regards to emotions. For example, he understands that he’s hungry, and he understands that he’s crabby, but he doesn’t see a correlation between the two. So, many times when this happens, we just have to let him cry it out, and then talk to him once he’s thinking more logically (at this point, just ask him — are you hungry? Tired? etc).

A loud child does not always mean a bad child. Sometimes children have to cry, simple as that.

• chiieddy says:

@Shadowman615: It’s even understandable if a small child cries during take-off and landing (babies cry and the pressure change is a killer), but letting your child run rampant, there’s no excuse for that and the attendants really ought to have spoken to her about it.

• domesticdork says:

@chiieddy:

Yeah pressure change IS a killer. And then the airlines decide to harass moms doing the BEST possible thing to sooth that discomfort: nurse their babies! The nursing soothes them and the jaw motions help pop their ears. But then you get airline employees and passengers complaining about those HORRIBLE moms feeding their babies, and why can’t they do that someplace else or throw a hot, humid blanket over their kid (because…you know, that’ll make the baby even more comfortable…not).

• mzs says:

@Shadowman615: I was very lucky in a flight a year or so back. My wife and I were on a 4+ hour flight with FOUR kids. The youngest was two. We were having some trouble with the two middle kids and I saw that the youngest was about to become a problem. A few seats down a lady had this compassionate look on her face and I took the youngest and walked over to her. We chatted a little bit and I learned that she was about to be a grandmother. She offered to hold my youngest and she had him on her lap for most of the flight. I don’t know how, but I tend to find good Samaritans like this at the best times.

With her watching our youngest I was able to split-up the two middle kids and my wife and I were able to keep them occupied. This could have easily become a hell flight for the 20 or so passengers nearby but disaster was averted.

My wife did give me lip about chatting with another woman though O_o

• richcreamerybutter says:

@Shadowman615: I have nothing against well-behaved kids (and even bad kids, since they are only a reflection of terrible parents), and I don’t mean for this suggestion to come across the wrong way: why don’t you buy a tub of bulk earplugs (they’re under $10 I believe) and offer them to the passengers around you as a measure of good faith, just in case?

Sometimes kids will get fussy with even the best parenting, because they’re kids. I’m pretty sympathetic to a creature who can’t vocalize specifically what’s wrong, but that sound (in nature, meant to alarm the parents) is very difficult in a small cabin. I would be overjoyed if more parents did this.

• HIV 2 Elway says:

@juggler314: Amen! What happened to hiring a babysitter? We didn’t go out to eat with mom and dad, save birthdays, until we were about 10 years old.

• GrantGannon says:

@juggler314: My favorite was the parents who brought their child..maybe four… to see ‘Road to Perdition’. They saw nothing wrong with their daughter constantly asking questions, complaining about the loud gunfire, etc.

When someone went to get the usher, man tried to pick a fight.

• B1663R says:

@juggler314: and all this coming from people who do not have any kids.

i agree on the “leave the kids at home with a babysitter” do you know how hard it is to find a sitter that will not abuse or neglect your kids? do you think you can trust anyone with your kids?

how about a long trip? then what? put them in an orphanage?

its hard being a parent, oh and i’m not one of them parents you see on 60 minutes either.

have a few kids and lets see you talk.

• MoreFunThanToast says:

@B1663R:

I understand it’s difficult to find a sitter that’s reliable.

But in a 8 hour flight situation and you have four screaming children with you, have some decency to keep them under control. Having a screaming kid kick my chair for the good part of the 8 hours did not make the flight any more pleasant. If it was a baby crying it would of been more or less understandable, but those kids were at least 5 or 6.

Oh, and I don’t have kids because I chose not to.

• m4ximusprim3 says:

@B1663R: Maybe we didn’t have kids for those very reasons? I’m glad you decided to have them, but forcing their undesirable behavior on others merely because you’re used to it is not very socially responsible in my book.

• johnnya2 says:

@B1663R: If you have such issues having children DON’T HAVE THEM. We as non breeders decided not to have children because we don’t want them. We do not think your kids are cute, we want them to sit down and shut up when they fly. If they can not do that, then they don’t belong flying PERIOD.

• MoreFunThanToast says:

@johnnya2: my thoughts exactly

• domesticdork says:

@johnnya2:

While I’ll be the first to admit their are a lot of crappy parents out there (thinking of some in my neighborhood in particular) sometimes (depending on the age) children make noise and there’s nothing anyone can do about it short of duct taping their mouth shut. Are you suggesting that families with babies and toddlers should never be allowed to fly anywhere, not even to visit Grandma, or to go see a specialist in a children’s hospital several states away, or…

• @juggler314: You obviously do not have children.

If they decide to cry, sometimes there’s absolutely nothing you can do to stop them until they cry it out or get bored of crying.

I find it very nazist of you to suggest parents shouldn’t take their kids on flights because said kids might misbehave. That sort of an attitude pisses me even more than a crying baby.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

I’m @juggler314: I’m glad I’m not the only one that gets annoyed when people bring their 3 year olds to rated R movies. Not only because they might act up, but because.. its a RATED R MOVIE!

• Tonguetied says:

@juggler314: The annoying thing is that this article is about the lady being handcuffed and taken off the plane, not about the behavior of the child but still all the “free loaders” have to smugly pontificate about “breeders” and their “spawn”. Way to lose sight of the purpose of the post….

2. jwissick says:

People need to learn to control their kids. Jetblue needs to learn to control it’s attitude. She did nothing wrong. So she videotaped an argument. So what? Shame on Jetblue.

• meb says:

@jwissick:
      People need to learn hot to control their kids? Kids are individual humans that want to make choices; if you are so manipulative that you can control your kids at all times, what kind of person is that kid going to grow up to be? We are responsible to our kids, not responsible for them.

• BadAxe says:

@brudosm:
        I hope you are not a parent. If you are, I hope I’m never around your kids. A parent is absolutely 100% responsible for his/her children and their behavior. That means teaching your children to respect the world around them and act accordingly. If you aren’t prepared to do that, don’t bring more people into the world. There are enough ill-behaved, disrespectful people here already, thanks.

• janespeak says:

@BadAxe: i absolutely agree with you! I was at a NHL game and a bunch of 6 yr olds were unfortunately sitting behind me and were swinging their legs and kicking my and my boyfriends seat. i finally had enough and said something to the father when my boyfriend got kicked in the ear and me on the shoulder! CONTROL YOUR DAMN KIDS! I paid enough for my damn seat as it was, and i couldn’t focus on the hockey game bc my seat was constantly being kicked. The father ended up scolding the kids but they didnt stop. eventually, we were able to sneak down 2 rows, with many angry glares at the father.. i felt bad for him but at the same time, he should’ve done something.. afterall, he was there to enjoy a NHL game, yet it was his shit head kids fault as to why i couldn’t enjoy mine!

• Valhawk says:

@brudosm: That opinion is just stupid. Just because a small child wants something does not mean you as a parent are obliged to let them pursue it. You control your child physically. A parent shouldn’t let their child climb on someone else who does not want to have a baby climbing on them.

• meb says:

@Valhawk:
          I agree 100% in this case with the kids climbing on the other person – I hadn’t watched the video. But no one should expect a kid to sit completely quietly through an entire flight.

• mac-phisto says:

@brudosm: i fully expect a kid to sit quietly during an entire flight. & i (like the guy in this video) don’t fault the child for unruly behavior – i fault the parent. as a parent, it’s your responsibility to know your child’s behavior & what you need to do to keep it at socially acceptable levels (& that level in a packed sardine can at 30,000 ft is “invisible to everyone else”).

many parents are capable of accomplishing this task – if you (that’s a “collective you”) are not, please consider traveling in a less socially-intrusive way.

• Nick1693 says:

@Valhawk: “That opinion is just stupid.”

There’s a reason its called an opinion.

• LoriLynn says:

@brudosm: No, you’re responsible for your kids. I’d say until they hit about 18. Hate to break it to you.

• jodark says:

@brudosm: I have friends with a very well disciplined 3 year-old son. He knows to listen to adults or face the consequences every time. He even listens to other adults in the household who are not his parents. He is taught manners and how to be polite. Kids who are not taught these things grow up to be this woman whose child is running wild, entitled and abhorant. If my friends child ever were to act like this child, there would be severe consequences. Instead this woman yells at this man like its his fault the child is running wild. Guess what? If a child were to start climbing on me while I was reading quietly and listening to my music, I would react the same as well. If the child were to hit me with a toy, that toy would become mine. Children have to be taught consequences of their actions, and with the way people are raising them now, they are not learning them.

Also, scaring the shit out of the parents is a good option as well. Telling the mother “I’m a sex offender” or “I have Hep C” is a great way to drive home that point. There is a great story out there about an out of control child in a supermarket and a parent who chooses not control him, who bites a random person. The man pretends to react with horror, then lies and tells the mother he has AIDS. Needless to say, she got a lesson that day.

• mugsywwiii says:

@brudosm:
        As the kids say these days… LUL WUT?

• shadowkahn says:

@brudosm:

You are why today’s kids suck.

Kids are individual humans under the control of two experience humans who presumably know how to behave in society. It is the job of the parent to teach the kids how to behave, which means you correct them when they are climbing all over other people in public.

Saying “But they want to make that choice and we have to let them choose” is a copout of lazy and idiotic parenting, and is further evidence that there should be a test before someone can breed.

• CoolTri says:

@shadowkahn: There is nothing completely wrong with “But they want to make that choice and we have to let them choose” Just as long as they know if they make the wrong choice it will be followed with a consequence. That’s what a lot of parent forget they need to do. First they blame the person that blames there kid for something then tell the kids it was all right as a way of consoling them.

• warf0x0r says:

@jwissick: I’ll say this for children… They’re Children!!! They sometimes flip out for stupid reasons, or no reason, cause they’re children. They sometimes poop and pee in their pants because they’re children. They sometimes annoy the crap out of everyone around them because they’re children. So odds are if you encounter a child they’re gonna do stuff you cannot explain, and if you not into children it’s probably going to bug you and you’ll probably think their parents are idiots.

Unfortunately there are no laws against children for being children… or airlines for trapping you on the tarmac with a petulant child for 4 to 16 hours… I think we could fix one of those situations with some decent legislation.

• mac-phisto says:

@warf0x0r: excellent idea! i fully support jailtime for children acting like children! ;-P

• nsv says:

@warf0x0r: Children will be children, yes, but parents should be parents.

We’re not talking about a child crying in his seat because he didn’t get a toy. This is a child that was totally out of control and climbing on another passenger. There are so many things that could go wrong in this situation, including injury to the passenger or the child.

I can think of one easy way to prevent that: don’t let the child climb on other passengers. That was never a radical idea before. In fact, it was common courtesy. Why are people who suggest this idea now called child haters?

• domesticdork says:

@nsv:

I think the issue is more that people flip out and use one honest-to-goodness awful example of bad parenting as justification for a myriad of bad attitudes such as “children suck and shouldn’t be allowed to fly.” But you hardly see the same kind of sweeping generalizations made for adults. If you sit next to an obnoxious 30-yo man on a plane you complain about THAT individual, not ALL 30 something men, kwim?

• nsv says:

@domesticdork: Funny, I do see generalizations about adults who expect children to meet minimum standards of behavior, like “no climbing on the other passengers”. To some people we’re all childless kid haters who have no idea what it’s like to raise a kid and think that all children suck and shouldn’t be allowed to fly.

But I’m not seeing a lot of that attitude, and I’ve certainly never said anything like that myself. I don’t have a problem with children on a plane. I know they cry, especially during take-off and landing. I know they make noise and have lots of energy. Fine.

But some parents (not ALL, but SOME) make no attempt at all to control their children, and their children behave as though the whole plane, and all the passengers, are their own private playground. This is not acceptable.

A while ago I was in a restaurant that had a raised seating area. It was only one step up, and there were handrails on both sides of the step, as well as yellow tape at the edge of the step.

Two small children were running through the restaurant playing tag, hiding under the tables. I was pretty surprised when one went under my skirt. But I wasn’t surprised when one of them went flying off the step and hit his head, hard.

I’m not saying that no children should be allowed in restaurants or on planes. I am saying some of them need parents to actively be parents and not let them run out of control.

• domesticdork says:

@nsv: Agreed.

On both points:

Generalizations about adults complaining being child-haters does happen. It’s not fair. I think it happens because parents get tired of running into people who actually *do* dislike children as a rule and start being defensive automatically. Shouldn’t happen that way, but it does.

Controlling kids: It does seem like *more* parents are failing to parent nowadays. But sometimes it’s just a matter of kids being kids (not that I think running around on a plane and climbing on strangers is “kids being kids” – that’s mom being a doofus instead of a parent).

• womynist says:

@jwissick: I totally agree that parents need to learn to discipline their kids, especially in public. I was just at a nice restaurant last weekend, hoping to have a romantic, peaceful meal with my boyfreind, and don’t you know about 5 minutes after we got there, a woman came in with her kid and the hostess sat them right next to us! This happens to us no matter what restaurant we go to. Needless to say, the kid started whining as soon as they sat down. SO ANNOYING! I choose not to have children for a reason, so why should I have to put up with other people’s?

3. Nothing cookies and hugs wouldn’t fix!
    Meg, is there ANYTHING cookies and hugs can’t fix?

4. ViperBorg says:

On a side note, either my comment got lost, or the new comments system is running slower than the economy.

5. shadax says:

Seriously, that’s BS. I think there should always be a video of people being idiots posted all over the internets, maybe then they’ll think twice before throwing their stupid personality all over the place.

6. The_IT_Crone says:

I don’t know… I don’t think that the video contributes anything to the grandmother’s cause- it doesn’t show the grandmother’s altercation at all. Somehow I expected video of HER behavior, not just the argument of the entitled mother and her brat that she was filming in the first place (who should be banned from ever flying again).

From what I understand of the original case, the video itself isn’t the issue but her reaction when told to stop filming/delete the footage- which isn’t included in the video. In the end this is just… voyuerism.

• Difdi says:

@The_IT_Crone: If it is a crime to disobey a given individual, and they order you to do something that they have no lawful authority to order someone to do, and/or issue an order to do something that is in itself a crime…should you obey?

The only person who can legally order you to destroy a video recording is a judge. If someone of lesser authority orders you to do so, the proper response is to refuse. Problems arise when a law is passed making disobedience of a lawful order a crime, if the person issuing the order is poorly trained on just what orders they can legally issue.

Hypothetical: It is a felony to disobey a flight attendant; A flight attendant orders you to perform an action that is a felony. Is it still a felony to disobey the flight attendant?

7. spankdidly says:

I thought she was going to say

“There are Snakes! Snakes on the Motha-Effin Plane!”

8. loueloui says:

I don’t see a problem with asking people to keep after their children. ‘They’re just being kids’ is not a defense for lackadasical parenting.

I was enjoying a quiet meal with my wife, my mother and I at Carrabba’s when I was hit in the face by a ball of wadded up food from about 10 feet away. These cretins had the gall to complain when I asked them to take control of their children. The idiot manager was no help either. He saw their large party which had eaten, versus our small party which had not, and practically hustled us out the door.

Good job Carrabbas!

• lawndart says:

@loueloui:
      As someone with a two year old who occasionally gets in a projectile intensive mood around meal times, Oh My God Are Those Bad Parents. My wife and I would have been in a race to buy your meal and hustle our kid out to the car before we actually exploded from sheer embarrassment.

• mac-phisto says:

@loueloui: i was in almost the exact situation in a high-class $50+/plate restaurant, only instead of wadded up food to the face (that sucks, btw), a troubadour of youngsters were treating the dining area like a playground while their parents ate & ignored them.

they caused a waiter to drop a tray, ran around screaming at the top of their lungs, threw food at each other & bumped into my table, as well as other patrons’. one of the kids even tried picking food off another patrons’ dish!

all this on a busy saturday nite & not a single thing was done by the owner, despite complaints. i was completely taken aback. even though they have some of the best food in CT, i refuse to go back & whereas i used to rave about the place, now i tell others about the horrible service i received any chance i get.

• em2thrasher says:

@loueloui: I just throw food back at the offending parties. Children or adults.

• Difdi says:

@em2thrasher: Heh, good idea! If it’s ok for them to throw food, it must be ok for everyone else. If nothing else, it will encourage management to step in and stop the food throwing entirely.

• trujunglist says:

@loueloui:

What the hell? Those people are not fit to be parents. Whatever happened to a good ass whoopin’? I’m sorry, but I would’ve NEVER thought of doing something so outrageous as a kid because I know I would’ve been dragged out of there by my ankles and spanked ’til my ass turned black.
      I’m constantly amazed at the poor parenting skills of people, like my friends’ landlords’ kids, who had the nerve to go into my friends’ house (a guest house) and completely destroy his computer, scare the shit out of the cat so bad that it ran away, and generally fuck the house up. I once saw them sneaking around the house down the road (it’s more like a long driveway; it’s a weird setup), which is essentially abandoned at this point because the owner died about a month ago. They had the nerve to go all around the house, inside the house, and even ON the house! In the meantime, the parents were nowhere to be seen…
      WTF? In your case, since you were personally assaulted by one of the little monsters, you had every right to go crazy on some parents.

9. clickable says:

Big deal. Exactly what you described, Meg: a case of overtired pax, possibly a little more confrontation and rudeness than Emily Post would approve of, but nothing to get in a huff over, and certainly not putting the flight or anyone’s safety at risk in any way. A smart flight crew would have defused the tension by dispensing complimentary drinks to the grownups, cookies to the kiddies, and smiles to everyone.

Jeez, what is it with the airlines, are they going to start being the arbiters of manners now? I know flying is miserable and I always take the route of compromise and as little confrontation as possible, but this is really a mild altercation as far as such things go. As for the video, I can’t believe that JetBlue actually thought it was important enough to send that ridiculous email. And they have to be truly clueless eedjits not to realize that it was going to end up all over the ‘net.

• clickable says:

@clickable: Oh, and for the record, that mom had it coming from the irate passenger. No excuse to let a child run wild through the cabin, sorry.

From what I saw, it seemed the mom initially had the kid in the middle seat while she was at the window. That’s the kind of false sense of entitlement that sends others, rightfully, through the roof. You travel with a small child, you don’t get to let him sit in the seat with free access to the cabin while you get comfy by the window seat. Even if it’s uncomfortable, you put the kid in the window seat where you can properly control his comings and goings.

• domesticdork says:

@clickable:

And where your child gets the excitement of the window seat! Seriously…every kid loves the window seat (especially if it’s their first time flying). Being able to look out the window while flying through a cloud is pure magic to a kid. And when your child is happy/entertained/distracted they’re a lot easier to manage. Seems like THIS parent (not ALL parents) has issues sacrificing for her kid.

10. dorastandpipe says:

I don’t know what Jet Blue thought this woman had on tape, but they can now rest easy.

• CoolTri says:

@dorastandpipe: I think they think it is bad for there *cough* reputation *cough* if people are seen fighting on there planes. Would you fly jetblue if you thought the plane would turn in to a cage match. I would :) free in-flight entertainment.

11. Trai_Dep says:

Since they prohibited smoking weed in the Coach section, things have gotten a lot more tense in the friendly skies.

12. Trai_Dep says:

And, bad conflict management: never meet an upset person by ratcheting up your voice while invading their personal space. Unless you like fireworks.

• BuddyGuyMontag says:

@Trai_Dep: Actually, because I like messing with people’s heads, whenever I get into an argument, I start smiling at them. (Think Soundgarden’s “Black Hole Sun” video) It’s creepy as hell and either deflates the situation because they think I’m a complete psycho and walk away or makes the situation even more fun.

13. GreatWhiteNorth says:

Hopefully this will not just become a bitch session about folks with kids and how they should be seen and not heard… and rarely seen at that.

However, it should be about parents taking responsibility for the children in their care. Further their responsibility to ensure the behaviour of the children does not interfere with the people around them. There are of course special events, like a child crying on a plane during take off or landing when pressure equalization can be painful as there. Yes, there are things to try to ease the pain, but they don’t universally work. Children will be in pain, crying may ensue, screaming rarely may happen.

Keeping this in mind there should be a special section in Hell for those caregivers who simply ignore the behaviour of their charges and inflict them on the rest of us. These parents, once a rarity now far too common, seem to feel they have rights. Well they do, but also responsibilities. When they neglect their responsibilities they lose their rights. Just like when you voted George W you lose your economy, freedoms, education, balance media… etc.

As for the capturing of video and photos on a plane… in my book it should be mandatory. The plane itself should have cameras running 100% of the time with certified timestamps and stored in a tamper proof way. Then when a claim is made of a problem either with the staff or passengers their is a record. And it may deter some of this crap at 30 thousand feet.

• Parting says:

@GreatWhiteNorth: This is more about irresponsible parents, not kids.

And I agree with you on the cameras. Some public buses have them, why not airplanes ?

• RedwoodFlyer says:

@GreatWhiteNorth:

jetBlue does have 4 cameras in the A320 (they claim to have them in the e190, but they don’t) 2 visible, and 2 “hidden” (one is in the forward galley, one’s in the rear, with a fisheye view of the lavs).

They don’t record it for privacy reasons/liability issues if they f-up, but the pilots have access to the cams from their TVs up in the cockpit.

14. KStrike155 says:

I can’t stand JetBlue. They constantly bombard me with email advertisements, even after I’ve unsubscribed multiple times. I finally sent them and email and they apologized, saying that I’ve been removed from the list. 2 Days later I got another damn spam email from them.

They say they’re going to “investigate into it further”.

This video thing is completely ridiculous.

15. sir_pantsalot says:

@brudsom: As a parent you are there to help them to learn to make the correct choices. My wife and I have taken several flights with our kids two flights over seas and we expected our kids to behave themselves and they are all 7 and under. There are other people in the world besides your self and kids need to learn that. They can choose to misbehave and they know that will result in a spanking and they are old enough now where they don’t get many spankings anymore because they have learned how to behave.

I love it when we are on a plane and a passenger gives my kids one of those dirty looks and then it is some other kid on the plane who is making all the noise. Even better when the person is sitting closer to the noisy kids than my kids.

• mythago says:

@sir_pantsalot: Personally I found that if one of my kids is crying, hitting them is probably not the best way to get them to shut up. That said, my kids behave a lot better on flights than many adult passengers I’ve had the misfortune to sit next to.

• Kicken says:

@mythago:
        Who the hell spanks their children for crying (Unless of course said crying is entirely unwarranted, such as the infamous Mom-Didn’t-Buy-Me-That-Toy-I-Don’t-Deserve cry.)?

• MadameX says:

@Kicken: I don’t think anyone said they spanked their kids for crying. He said for misbehaving.

• CoolTri says:

@Kicken: I’m not sure if this is health for my kids. But if they are crying over anything that they didn’t get physically hurt by they get a nice warning followed by a nicer reminder of when to cry. For most part they never cry over stupid thing.

• meb says:

@sir_pantsalot: That’s what I’m trying to say. I am responsible to “…help them to learn to make the correct choices”. But they are individuals and I cannot force them to make one choice or another. My kids learn that there are other people in the world when they 1) approach/bother another passenter and 2) that person explains why they don’t want to be bothered. If my kid doesn’t respect that person, then I will intervene. I also work very, very hard to make sure that my kids are quiet on the plane, but there will be occasional outbursts – they are toddlers and don’t have 100% impulse control.

• LeoSolaris says:

@brudosm: Making sure your children know that there are unpleasant consequences for their misdeeds is what is meant when people say “control of a child.” That also means actually giving them said unpleasant consequences so they cease the incorrect behavior. Children may be little individuals that you cannot mentally control, but generally people actually do know that they lack mind control, thus it is not normally referred to in common speech.

• kbrook says:

@sir_pantsalot: Sadly, my main migraine trigger (and the reason I don’t like to go shopping before midnight or so) is screaming children. Well, any sufficiently high or low pitched noise will do it, like drills or dumbasses with their bass turned up too loud, but man, screaming, shrieking kids are a one way ticket to migraineville.

• Parting says:

@sir_pantsalot: Even better : stare on the kid with a very creepy smile. Most kids get scared and run back to their parents.

16. proskills says:

Suggestion for all of you air travelers out there who hate kids on planes: sit in an exit row (no one under 15 allowed), and wear noise-canceling headphones (they do a great job of drowning out that kid three rows back).

• Franklin Comes Alive! says:

@proskills:
      They don’t do a good job absorbing the vibrations of the brat beating on the tray table on the back of your seat.

• RStewie says:

@Franklin Comes Alive!: Or using his head as a battering ram on the back of your seat.

Noise is one thing. Actions, such as those in this video, are another. Control your child. They are your responsibility, and if you don’t want someone else to do it for you (AKA not allowing you on your connecting flight, a la Southwest) then DO IT YOURSELF.

My son regularly flies BY HIMSELF, and I have NEVER gotten a complaint from any passenger, flight attendant, or gate attendant upon picking him up from the gate. It IS possible, people, for a child (he started flying by himself at age 5) to act right, even WITHOUT supervision.

• Ms. Pants says:

@Franklin Comes Alive!: No, but I’ve found that reaching back around and grabbing their ankles scares the holy bejeebus out of them enough that they stop.

• theycallmetak says:

@Ms. Pants:

Ahahahahaha

I’ve never done that but then again, I’ve been lucky enough on my flights of late. I’ll save that one for later. +1

• proskills says:

@Franklin Comes Alive!: You’re SOL if someone is beating on the back of your seat, but on 737’s at least, there are two exit rows. You could sit in the front row, but make sure you get the aisle, because usually the window seat doesn’t recline.

For more information about your plane, check [seatguru.com]

• fjordtjie says:

@proskills: unfortunately, the aisle seat is also where the children running rampant through the plane tend to target. and double bonus, people reaching for things or just walking through bump you…one of the people to do that to me was huge, hairy, sweaty, and got me in the face with his stomach, repeatedly as he messed around with the luggage bin above my seat.
          you’re safe nowhere.

• Parting says:

@proskills: Ha! 3 rows back…

I’ve traveled with 3 different families,with young kids. For 9 hours, 1 of the kids was crying. Once one would stop, another one started. And no earplugs. That was one hellish flight.

• proskills says:

@Victo: See, that’s just a horrible run of luck for that flight. I’ve been on 8 flights / month for about 6 months now, and that has never happened to me. I’ve definitely been on some flights with screaming kids, but I’ve always been able to drown it out with the QC3’s. Earplugs are alright, but you can’t turn the music / podcast up to get that terrible noise out of your head.

17. Saboth says:

They should put all the people with kids towards the back of the plane. They are noisier, they take up more room due to all the extras they have to bring, and take longer getting off the plane due to the fact they have to do everything for the child. Stick them back there and put up a little soundproof wall that the kids can kick until their heart is content.

Either that or learn to parent, and that doesn’t seem to be happening.

18. sir_pantsalot says:

@Saboth: When flying with my kids we wait until most people are off the plane before we try to get the kids and all the stuff off of the plane. We have kids and there is no way that we can move as fast as grown ups with one bag so there is no point in getting in their way.

19. hills says:

Just watched it – That’s it? That’s why JetBlue has their panties in a bunch?

• Difdi says:

@hillsrovey: No, JetBlue has their panties in a bunch because someone DARED to disobey a flight attendant who issued an order no one but a judge has the authority to issue.

20. sir_pantsalot says:

@mythago: No one has ever hit my kids. They do get spanked occasionally. When you spank your kids they know you will do it again. If they are crying over something little you can tell them to stop or they will get a spanking. If you don’t spank them then why would the kid care what you have to say.

• Parapraxis says:

@sir_pantsalot:

I laughed. does that make me a bad person?

• BeeBoo says:

@sir_pantsalot: Spanking is hitting. If someone’s kids climbed on me once, I would say something to the parent. The second time, I would hit the child. Even your child. Control your children.

• windycity says:

@BeeBoo: And that my friend is called battery. No way is it OK for you to lay hands on another person’s child.

• BeeBoo says:

@windycity: No, it’s called defending yourself FROM battery.

• Shadowman615 says:

@BeeBoo: I think you would probably end up having to defend yourself from quite a bit of battery if you hit someone else’s kid in the middle of a crowd.

• CoolTri says:

@windycity: you right Hitting another kid is bad, thou i do miss grand parents opening a can of whoop on a kid that was back talking. I like to threaten to hang them by there toes. Something completely off the wall tends to get there attention.

• m4ximusprim3 says:

@sir_pantsalot: My dad spanked the shite out of me, and I turned out great. My dad also spanked the shite out of my brother, and he turned out to be a complete brat.

Would I spank my kids (if I ever had any)? Hell yes, but I agree with you that it’s purely a backup to a statement of intent rather than an effective “all the time” punishment. I also don’t expect spanking alone to keep my kids in line.

• Sanveann says:

@sir_pantsalot: Hitting is hitting, whether it’s on the butt, the face or wherever. Personally, I don’t hit (“spank”) my kid. If it’s not OK to do to an adult or a dog, why is it OK to do to a kid?

• Tonguetied says:

@sir_pantsalot: Cognitive Dissidence. The same people who will scream in high dudgeon about kids running rampant needing to be controlled will scream just as loudly if you actually enforce good behavior on your child by spanking them.

The fact that children have grown more and more disruptive and annoying as society has come to frown more and more on spanking as a tool of control and discipline seems not to click.

21. Gokuhouse says:

Not a lot of folks blaming the man for freaking out when kids climb on him. What’s the big deal? Was the kid puking on him? Pulling his hair, screaming in his face? Live and let live. Sure the mom should have done a better job, but he should have done a better job too. There was not good reason for him to be screaming like that.

Love, love, love lo lo love, makes the world go ’round.

• Kicken says:

@Gokuhouse:
      Surely you aren’t trying to say that the kid and mother were perfectly fine, and the kid should be allowed to climb all over whoever the hell he wants to?

• Ass_Cobra says:

@Gokuhouse:

Can I hope that you are kidding? I am pretty tolerant of kids and one climbing on me. ONCE would not bother me, but I don’t expect that anyone else should share that view. There’s no reason for a kid to be walking over people, there is in fact no reason for a kid to be moving about a plane without their parents’ explicit permission. I know that people say you can’t watch your kids all the time, but if you can’t be bothered to do in when you’re in a confined space surrounded by 150 perfect strangers then you likely shouldn’t have kids.

• Canino says:

@Gokuhouse: “Live and let live” doesn’t mean your kids can climb on me.

I don’t touch anyone else’s kids for any reason. I’m not going to take any chance whatsoever that anything I do will be misconstrued by anyone. That means no one’s kids get to crawl on me either – it goes both ways.

• Blitzgal says:

@Gokuhouse: Yes, kids will be kids, but there is no reason for a child to put his hands or body on a stranger without the parent at least attempting to correct the behavior and letting the child know that it unacceptable.

• The_IT_Crone says:

@Gokuhouse: I can’t even believe you posted that.

Let’s just ignore the fact that it is enormously inappropriate and bad on the parents AND kid for such horrible behavior.

What if he had a broken arm? What if he has a bad immune system and a little disease-ball climbs into his lap? What if he had a laptop in his lap and the kid climbed on it?

Unbelievable.

• Gokuhouse says:

@Gokuhouse: Well everyone that replied: Yes, I was mostly joking but I was trying to look to the extreme in this situation. I have a question to post now…What would it take for you to scream at perfect strangers? I hope it would take more than a child jumping all over you during a flight.

Slow to anger and quick to forgive.

22. Canino says:

I don’t understand what lady being a grandparent has to do with anything. Does the fact that her children have procreated make this somehow more ridiculous?

“Did you hear what happend?”
    “No, what?”
    [tells what happened]
    “Oh, that’s awful.”
    “And the lady is a GRANDMOTHER!!!”
    “Get the torches and pitchforks!”

23. maladroite says:

I’d love to see a 50% surcharge for bringing children on a plane.

24. kaptainkk says:

I love how people without kids try and tell the ones with kids how to parent. Be realistic and get a life! Parenting is one of the hardest jobs and people with kids know this. To all you kid haters out there, it’s a shame that your mom didn’t have the same mindset as you because you never have been here ;-)

• corporatedrone says:

@kaptainkk: I am absolutely not a “kid hater.” What I do hate is when parents let their children kick my seat, climb over my seat, and scream at the top of their lungs (I am not talking babies here, I’m talking toddlers that can be reasoned with to an extent). There are plenty of children that can behave on a flight because their parents deal with the situation, so I just don’t buy it that kids get a free pass for bad behavior.

• Blitzgal says:

@kaptainkk: I don’t have kids, and I don’t hate them, but I don’t think it’s too much to ask that we not have food flung in our faces (as a poster above noted) or our seats kicked incessantly for two hours (as has happened to me personally in a theater — for a horror movie, of all things). However I know there is little point in ramping up the conflict by directly confronting the parent, so I just get up and move. But that’s not usually an option on an airplane.

• The_IT_Crone says:

@kaptainkk: I don’t think you understand. This isn’t about hating KIDS. This is about hating BAD PARENTING (or lack of parenting altogether, as in this case).

• Canino says:

@kaptainkk: It looks to me like in this video, the “parent” has put her child or children in a row with another person and she is sitting somewhere else, leaving them alone with a stranger and no one to discipline and control them.

ANY person, parent or not, can use basic common sense in this case to tell this “parent” how to parent, that is to discipline and control her own children. No one needs to be a parent to see that or to comment on it.

Yeah, you need to be a parent to understand…that is, unless you’re a nanny, a teacher, a childcare worker, a child psychologist, a child services worker, a nurse, etc. etc. etc…….I laugh at you.

25. timmus says:

Speaking as a parent, people indeed should control their kids. When my young kid goes on a flight with me I make sure he’s prepared for the flight, entertained, and on his best behavior. It works. There are some bad parents out there and unless we’re talking about a kid with a medical or mental condition, a crappy parent bringing their sugared-up kid on a plane and not paying attention absolutely deserves the comical queue of assailants like we saw the 1979 Airplane! movie.

26. darkryd says:

While the airling acted inappropriately – did the lady really need to tape the altercation?

What was the point of taping it? Just in case something exciting happened that she could post online?

27. cf27 says:

As a parent, I agree that parents should be doing their darndest to keep their kids in-line during a flight. The sort of “letting your kid run around” that might be fine at the McDonald’s play yard or even in the airport waiting area is not appropriate on a plane. The kid needs to be aware of that and the parent needs to be pro-active in making it happen. (Having kids run around in an unpopulated part of the airport before the flight works wonders for calming them down on the plane.)

However, sometimes, especially with infants, it can’t be helped. And, in those cases, everybody else needs to understand that we all inflict minor annoyances on each other — ever sat next to an obese person on a plane or around a loud-talker or a perfume-wearer or the guy who just wants to talk to you the entire time, or the drunk, or the geek who hasn’t bathed in a month, the old dude with the cold, or the flatulent old lady? You were that kid once and you may be that parent in the future.

• BeeBoo says:

@cf27: No, children should not be allowed to run around in the waiting area, either. The only place children should be allowed to run around is in a playground or in their own home.

• Pithlit says:

@cf27: See, this is the reasonable way of looking at things. We just can’t have that. I think some people need to work on their coping skills. Sometimes I think I just live in an alternative universe, because I manage to go to restaurants and fly on planes, and not work myself into an enraged tizzy. I swear, if I lived in a cave and only got my impression of the outside world through the internet, I would think the world was overrun by screaming brats and their stupid, clueless parents. But the truth is it isn’t. Some people seem to think they’re entitled to a bubble of absolute peace and quiet wherever they go, including on tightly cramped tubes filled with stressed out people shooting through the air at 20,000 feet. But the world doesn’t work that way. If you don’t learn to cope, and forget about the occasional irritation, then you let it fester in your brain, and the memories become disproportionate, and you become the annoying ranter who thinks kids shouldn’t be allowed on planes by gawd! You may even end up on youtube. The world isn’t changing. Learn to cope. Life is a lot better that way, and you become a lot more fun to be around.

28. TheStonepedo says:

In the least elitist way possible I hope rising fuels costs will drive ticket prices into a range that is affordable for business travel but not family vacations.

29. BlaineDadgum says:

You are in an airplane cabin with hundreds of other people and you may be there for an extended period of time. If you cannot control your kid then you simple shouldn’t be flying. Other people have paid hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to be there and they don’t want to hear your bad parenting for hours. If you can’t control your kid then take your car. Simple as that.

30. econobiker says:

This is about parents (guardians,caregivers, etc) not appropriately controlling or disciplining the children.

My sister recently flew and on one leg, a woman with a toddler gave out bagged new earplugs to all the rows around her. That showed she was trying.

Then on a different leg, my sis got to see a group of nannied-up rich folks (apparently from a certain religious background due to their garb and discussions) in which the children were going apesh*t in the plane even WITH the parents and nannies around. [Worst of all was that one of the hands-off mothers had her dear princess daughter (about 5-7 years old) squat and pee into a cup within their row!!! Probably she didn't want the daughter to go to the "filthy bathroom used by all those common people". People complained and the flight attendant went off on the lady when the cup-o-pee was attempted to be handed off to the trash pickup!!! Sis said she felt for the nanny who eventually had to dispose of the cup in the bathroom. ]

31. BridgetTabasco says:

I have to say that airlines are not any different than other retail businesses and I think every passenger should use videocameras, cellphones, etc., to document when there are problems, especially when most airlines always deny consumer’s versions of events..

32. BillyShears says:

As much as I’d love to join the dogpile about kids on planes, this post is about JetBlue flight crews trying to be the kings and queens of their own little island…plane…whatever.

With all the issues JetBlue’s facing today (e.g., bad economy, Virgin America getting a good grip on three of their major markets), you’d think they’d be pressing customer service, their alleged strong point, a lot more.

I fly them a lot, and I can’t personally attest to any real problems on board. My worst experience was sorting out frequent flyer points when a 3 hour delay at JFK caused me to miss a connection.

But in an era where the cheaper airlines rule, the one without the flight crews having petty power trips will win.

33. stanner says:

Why did they arrest the person filming this?

I had to sit next to an unescorted child once, and more or less entertained her the whole flight. The flight attendants provided me with free drinks and gave me a bottle of champagne as I was leaving by way of thanks. So I didn’t mind so much, or at least what I can remember of it.

34. maestrosteve says:

To all you people complaining about kids on your plane, just remember this – YOU ARE TAKING PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION.
    Planes, like buses are public transportation. You have no control over the fat person sitting next to you taking up 2 seats, or the guy in front of you coughing all thru your 4 hour flight.

If you want quiet, to be left alone, spend the money chartering a flight so I don’t have to hear you whine about it. People with kids ride buses. If you don’t like it, spend the money and take a cab.

Sure, you want it your way, but quite frankly, you are not entitled on public transportation. Go whine somewhere else.

• tinmanx says:

@maestrosteve: It’s so true. I’ve seen someone on the subway freak out over a crying kid yelling at the mom to “shut it the hell up.” The way I see it, the problem is not the crying kid, but the guy who is freaking out about it. Some people really need to chill out.

And it is not limited to kids, I’ve also seen a guy yell at a lady that screamed for help because someone was harassing her to shut up. Luckily other (more sane) passengers jumped to her rescue and also lay the smack down on the guy who told her to shut up.

Maybe it’s a NYC subway thing. No eye contact please.

35. LatherRinseRepeat says:

Yeah, I don’t see what the big deal was. I think this is a case of Jet Blue overreacting and pulling a CYA move. They probably didn’t want that video to bring them any sort of potential bad press. Oops. Too late.

36. floraposte says:

The mom did bad, the yelling guy did bad (yes, it’s unpleasant to have a child crawling on you, but do you want to respond in a way likely to fix the situation or do you want to self-indulgently posture? He picked option B), nervous flight attendant did bad, and JetBlue did bad. And I’m not real impressed with the filming either.

Too much focus on what one’s entitled to do, not enough on getting through the day without a war.

37. audiochick says:

Ugh! Parents should control their kids in public, period, not just on planes. In my younger days I worked enough retail jobs to observe parents in the midst of “tune-out syndrome.” They have had to ignore the screaming and yelling of their children in their own home for so long, they fail to hear it in stores and restaurants, too. As a sales associate tries to help the parent find what they need so they will get the hell out of the store, the children run rampant, knocking down displays and breaking merchandise. Obviously kids have their own personality and decision-making skills, but that doesn’t mean that parents don’t have the responsibility to teach their kids how to act appropriately when around other people.

38. johnnya2 says:

I am wondering how people would react if the “grandmother” taping this had been a Muslim man in his 20’s. The airline told the grandmother to delete the tape and using that device was not acceptable at that time. it would be like going into a movie theater and taping and saying you have the right. NO YOU DON’T. Just cause you are a grandma does not mean you can ignore what you are told on somebody else’s property. You paid for transportation, not for the ability to film.

• cf27 says:

@johnnya2: The movie theater is a special case because doing the taping is copyright infringement.

In general, a property owner can set rules for the activities that people do on their property. And, if they don’t follow the rules, the property owner can kick them out. But, (absent a special case), they can’t go beyond that. So, if I say “No iPods in my house,” and you walk in with an iPod, I can kick you out, but I can’t take your iPod. If I say “No taping,” and you tape, I can kick you out, but I can’t take the tape or even make you erase it.

In any case, it appears that what happened here was that the grandmother was told AFTER THE FACT to delete the recording and was not told in advance not to record.

39. johnnya2 says:

Having run into the screaming brat syndrome many times at grocery stores or Target, I am continually amazed at parents ability to ignore screaming, and inappropriate behavior. I had a kid of about 4 ram into me pushing the cart as the parent watched and did nothing. I immediately told her to watch her kid or get the fuck out of the store, her reaction was, she cant be expected to stop every mishap that may happen. I wish stores would develop nobody under 18 shopping hours.

40. Adam2010 says:

Screw Jet Blue, I would have sold the video to one of the national news networks. Maybe, just maybe parents will start stop acting like the kid in this video and start to act like responsible adults. Whatever happened to disciplining unacceptable behavior? As for Jet Blue, “you can’t fix stupid but you don’t have to hire it”!!!

41. blainer says:

@johnnya2: So, are you saying that JetBlue can assert a copyright on what goes on in their planes? Or, are you saying that male Muslims in their 20s are terrorists? Or, are you saying that “you can['t] ignore what you are told on someone else’s property?”

There is a lot of stupid in this post. I guess that when a hot chick enters my house, she is obligated to give me a sensual massage if I tell her to.

42. blainer says:

@johnnya2: So, if the store told you to sit back and deal, would you have to because it’s their property? What if you were a 20 year old muslim guy with a camera pushing a cart?

43. baristabrawl says:

The woman seemed like she was purposely baiting the man, trying to get him to fight with her. I say you wait till she leaves and shove her down the escalator.

44. kathyl says:

I’ve just added JetBlue to the (growing) list of airlines I will not patronize under any circumstances. Not to save money, not if they’re the only flight whose timetable fits mine, not if they’re the only non-stop, no.

Reopening an old argument where you’re in the wrong is just asinine. What makes you think I believe you can run the rest of your business when you can’t resist sending an ill-advised “We still hate you, neener neener” letter?

45. chilled says:

You can’t fix stupid(Ron White)…

46. SudhamayiKabong says:

Life is much better when you can cope, sure. The world is a strange, often disappointing place, and it might make our heads explode if we let every little thing get to us. However, I think there’s a point at which expecting everyone to just suck it up and cope becomes a bit unreasonable.

I might not be able to expect a bubble of absolute peace when I fly, but I do think it’s entirely reasonable for me to expect that parents act responsibly so as to minimize annoyances. Your child is crying? Okay. Maybe there’s not too much you can do about that. Your child is kicking my seat-back, throwing things over the seat at me, or invading my personal space? That’s most certainly something you can handle as a parent. I’ll cope for awhile, but if it should be clear that you are unwilling to reign-in your little bundle of joy after a reasonable amount of time has passed, then I’m going to get pissed. And guess what? It won’t even be remotely unreasonable for me to have reached that state of emotion. Being asked to cope with the banshee-like wailing of your toddler is reasonable. Being asked to accept abuse and/or an invasion of my personal space isn’t. However, instead of throwing a fit, I’m going to turn around and politely ask that you do something about your kid, because hey, he’s really disturbing my flight here, and I’d like to get a little sleep before we reach our destination, please and thank you.

So while I agree with you in principle, I think it’s a naïve world-view. People are going to get pissed, and it’s not always an unreasonable for them to experience and/or express that emotion. In fact I’d say it’s far more unreasonable to expect everyone to internalize their frustration, or in layman’s terms, take it up the ass, especially under extreme circumstances. Sometimes the only way to get results is to shake things up a bit. And while I wouldn’t be as presumptuous as to dictate to you how you should raise your children, if expressing to you (used collectively) my frustration with the way your child is acting on a flight has the benefit of giving you the opportunity to teach him that his behavior is unacceptable, then I’d say we’re all better off than we would’ve been if I just shut up and allowed junior to keep throwing his army men at me while he kicked away at my seat. That way I get at least a small bit of peace for the price of my ticket, and your little crap-factory just learned a valuable life-lesson. Even if it took my expression of frustration to get you to do the job you signed on for the moment you decided to have children.

47. MyPetFly says:

Man in question: “I just want you to be responsible.”

Sounds reasonable to me.

As for kids in movies, I once went to a movie where a father brought his kid and let him or her (I can’t remember which) play with a noise-making toy gun during the movie. I managed to get him to leave after the second warning.

48. RedwoodFlyer says:

Anyone else with me on the abortion should be legal until age 18 idea? Time to buy Dyson stock…

49. Sugarless says:

JetBlue is doing itself no favors by continuing this drama. Now if only they’d given as much attention to the SEVEN hour flight delay I experienced with them. That flight was scheduled to leave at 6:30am.

As someone who doesn’t have children, I can understand getting frustrated. What I can’t understand is why someone thinks being rude about the child will improve any situation.
    The bottom line is none of us exists in a vacuum, we have to share spaces and make the best of sharing that space.

50. I would gladly pay a premium to avoid having my child come in contact with hateful, unsympathetic, asshats. :) I would rather sit in a row of crazy kids acting up than deal with one semi-drunk self-entitled jackass who hates children and can’t grasp the concept that the world doesn’t resolve around him.

• BeeBoo says:

@JamieSueAustin: People like you shouldn’t be allowed to breed. Take a little responsibility for your womb and what comes out of it.

• Sanveann says:

@BeeBoo: WTH? Where did she say that she doesn’t take responsibility for her children? Or are you oblivious to the fact that there ARE semi-drunk, senlf-entitled, kid-hating jackasses out there? (Because yes, there are.)

51. WinstonMania says:

if you have children you shouldn’t fly PERIOD if your child has any chance of causing a disturbance.
    Because the simple fact is, you decided to have the child, you must have known the issues and problems that come with them. You do not have a right to bring a child who will bother others on a flight. If you have to travel, DRIVE.
    and if you can’t drive then get a babysitter. And if you can’t do either of the above. YOU JUST STAY HOME. it’s as simple as that.

Having children is a sacrifice. And if you miss a funeral or wedding. well that’s just another sacrifice you have to make. YOU DID make the decision to have kids.

Why the hell should ANYONE have to put up with your decision to have kids. If you can’t have quiet kids. STAY HOME. anyone that doesn’t see the logic in this, is ignorant and inconsiderate.

• Sanveann says:

@WinstonMania: ANY chance of causing a disturbance? Doesn’t, well, pretty much everyone fall under that category? Or should we all just just be gagged and straightjacketed at all times in public so that we don’t have ANY chance of disturbing others? Believe me, I’ve met a LOT more adults that bother the hell out of me than I have kids.

Oh, and what should those of us who have family in other countries do — take trans-Atlantic boat rides?

52. beverleysage says:

I have been flying with my son since he was 7 weeks old. I see the looks of absoulte fear when we board the airplane, now at 8 he flies by himself. I have only recieved compliments on how my son is behaved. The only time he time he was out of control was when we spent over 24 hours in airports and airplanes, I was able to calm him down in the back where we would not be bothering others. I demand that my son behave on an airplane because traveling is a stressful time, large amounts of people are cramped in a small area and not everyone will have the patience for my child that I have.

53. Barney_The Plug_ Frank says:

If you are going to spread your legs and have kids, learn to keep control of them in public. Too many parents hatch kids and never bother to teach them how to act as a responsible citizen, especially in public! Citizenship, a lost art in this country! Its all about me, right now.

54. VRWC says:

True, kids can be annoying.

But I’ve also seen ample evidince of mean, self-absorbed, whiney adults that think everything is about them and that they’re entitled to yell at every kid, even the ones that are truly behaving themselves.

Of course, those same adults don’t have the “nads” to say something to an adult doing the exact same things (e.g. temporarily blocking their view of a movie while getting into the seat in front of them).

55. trujunglist says:

You guys think this is bad?
    How about having a kid screaming for the entire flight? How about the kid constantly putting his seat back, and then forward again, and then back again, and then forward again? How about the parents changing the kids diapers on the seat, and then leaving them there for the rest of the 4 hour flight? AND running up and down the aisles?
    Well, they WERE from New Jersey, so I guess that explains a lot…

56. RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

Heh. Here’s a phrase gauranteed to ensure parents keep their children from running up and down the aisles of an airplane (and I think it’s been mentioned here before).

Flag down a flight attendant and say these magic words:

“As long as he/she’s running past me, I’m technically violating parole.”

Hilarity will ensue.

57. ShadowFalls says:

This video hardly tells much, other than two people arguing. I don’t see why a person would get arrested for it though. An apology should be a bare minimum.

58. DenleyKeppim says:

I am that Grandma and I was on my way home from my first visit with her. We live across country from the baby and I knew she would be flying a lot. I was taking photos out of the window when this altercation happened and I had just learned how to shoot video on the same camera. I shot it to serve as a warning to my daughter that kids of all ages must be controlled in public or you risk real trouble. I wish I had not filmed it but once I did…I was not going to delete it under such strong pressure. If the Captain had asked me to..I would have.
    I called myself a new Grandmother to the flight crew when I explained why I had filmed the event. That is how Grandma came into the picture.

59. jecowa says:

Question: Some comments on this board say the constitution lets us film in private places open to the public. Does this mean we can film in Wal*Mart?

60. Bruce Bayliss says:

Greyhound bus with wings.

Never would have happened when the working classes knew their place….

61. croeso says:

I was recently on a Delta overnight flight in a row next to a kid screaming his head off and a parent who was ignoring the whole situation and could care less of those around her whose peace she was destroying. I very politely told the stewardess that I needed to have another seat or I would not be responsible for the consequences. I got my new seat quickly. Part of me felt sorry for the airline employee who got stuck next to the bitch and her spawn, but after all, I was the one paying.

62. BattistaAmphimachus says:

Complainers against children, I bet at one time you were all bratty a** kids. Maybe your parents just never took you on a flight. Hard being in a tube when you are 4 years old for hours. I know it sucks, but people with kids have to get somewhere too. I agree, be a good parent. Sometimes it isnt enough. Kids dont think like you do.

63. BattyM says:

A little FYI for all of you clueless people….it is against FAA regulation for ANY customer to video tape flight attendants regardless if they are doing the safety demo, going through the aisles passing out drinks, or trying to calm down psgrs during a disagreement. This woman was not obeying orders from the inflight crew who was just doing their job & this old bag was lucky their wasn’t any FAA person on board because she would have gotten a hefty fine instead of being taken off the flight to be questioned.