A Days Inn in Cleveland, Ohio, has bedbugs, a mother of four found out when the Red Cross put her family there for the night after her house burned down. Yes, it’s another bedbugs-in-hotels story, but this time there are pictures! [WKYC.com]

Comments

1. ViperBorg says:

Ugh… that’s sick.

2. TheStonepedo says:

And a Days Inn in Denham, Louisiana doesn’t call to tell you that the governor has canceled all confirmed reservations six days before your planned stay due to a need for lodging for infrastructure repair crews after a hurricane. I realize the Red Cross doesn’t have a limitless budget. You really do get what you pay for.

3. Wow … That has got to be the suckiest thing. “Our house burned down, but the Red Cross is he…. Honey are those bite marks?!”

Man I am paranoid about getting these things. I am so glad I don’t travel anymore, but we had a friend stay from London where this problem is rampant. Reportedly they are incredibly hard to get rid of, and they travel in clothes, and bedding from anywhere to anywhere.

4. toddkravos says:

this doesn’t surprise me in the least. that hotel (and the area it resides in) is known for it’s skeev-factor.

5. The sad thing is that these bedbugs were likely brought there by a guest. Bedbugs are not an indication of poor housekeeping, or hygiene like Cockroaches, or Ants. They just move in like some freakish in-laws.

6. Gopher bond says:

I always make the family wait outside with our luggage before I do a once over of the hotel, checking the mattress, box springs, and the joint of the bed. If I see black specks, I’m out of there. So far so good, knock on wood.

• womynist says:

@testsicles: Be careful though-bedbugs also like to hide behind picture frames & in walls as well. So checking the mattress, boxspring & bedframe may not be enough! There’s been a lot in the news over the past year or so about the resurgence of the bedbug population, not only in homeless shelters & welfare motels, but in 4-star hotels as well. The little buggers like to hitch a ride in people’s luggage.

7. SiddheshwariLibo says:

The thing is — for them to actually see the bugs and for them to be as big as the pictures show, they’ve been there for a while. My husband travels a lot and doesn’t stay in any dives. In June I started having terrible night itches and weird rashes on my arms and legs. I looked up all possible sources and eliminated them one by one. One option was bed bugs. I checked my mattress and box spring thoroughly. The itching and bumps continued all summer – with some insomnia — and I’d turn on the lights and throw back the covers and find nothing. I thought it was a weird autoimmune response to poison ivy I got in June. And then a couple weeks ago, I was making the bed and found a bug. A quick google search confirmed it was a bed bug and also revealed how hard it is to get rid of them. Luckily, they were only in our master bedroom. It was a tremendous amount of work and money to get rid of them, but I did EVERYTHING because I’d read how hard it is to get rid of them. So far no bugs. And I’ve stopped itching. But I’m terribly paranoid and will probably have a nervouse breakdown if they return.

8. homerjay says:

Resisting… urge… to…view….pictures.

9. The pictures aren’t incredibly bad unless you have a phobia of insects. They’re just bugs people. Parasitic bugs, but I find them allot less gross than say Cockroaches, or Ants. Course with some Boric Acid ‘Roaches and Ants are easier to get rid of than these things.

The most successful treatment I have read about is heat. You have to basically bake your bed up to like 140 degrees for several hours. Fumigation and other traditional eradication methods have proven ineffective at combating these pests. The heat kills them off, and their eggs (cold merely makes them hibernate).

Because of this you also can’t do any preventative things. Traps don’t work. Poisons don’t work. This means if you get them … and then defeat them … you are still a target for another infestation.

What we need to do is genetically mutate to have elephant like hide. Then they wouldn’t bother us. Course our race would then die off from lack of procreation.

So there you have it folks.

Option 1: Deal with bedbug infestations.

Option 2: The end of the human race.

10. rodeo40 says:

A Days Inn??? Seriously is anyone surprised?

11. rodeo40 says:

It contributes by underscoring the fact that in my experience, most low to mid priced motels are sh.tholes and one shouldn’t be surprised to find bedbugs or any other pest hanging out inside. Now go back to minding your own posts.

12. pjsammy says:

Cleveland always wins

13. LissaKay says:

The Days Inn on Lovell Road in Knoxville, TN is the winner now in the “Surprises for our guests” category.

14. shortergirl06 says:

That’s nothing, I got ringworm from a Hilton Gardens in El Paso, TX.

I’m still trying to get rid of the 4 spots. All I can guess is that they didn’t change the sheets and blankets before I moved in (I stayed for two weeks). By day 4 I had two spots, and by the time I went home I had four.

GROSS!!!