Do The Math, Southwest: 25-Minute Layover, 20-Minute Security Screening

Tsk tsk, Brandon, obviously you failed in your responsibility to wear Velcro sneaker when flying Southwest Airlines. Otherwise you wouldn’t be in this mess. Brandon writes:

…I flew from Sacramento to the connection hub in San Diego, where I had a 25 minute layover. While I would not have chosen a 25-minute layover, Southwest doesn’t give you your flight times until you’ve booked….the two gates were in separate parts of the building, separated by security…

UPDATE: Brandon got a refund after a Southwest rep on Twitter saw the story on Consumerist. (He also agrees his statement about not getting the flight times was incorrect, details inside…

I had to be rescreened through security, which took twenty minutes, and run to the gate, carrying my shoes, belt, laptop and backpack.

Upon arriving, a hostile gate agent told me I could not board without first putting on my shoes. After an exchange with this gate agent, she denied me boarding altogether, and I watched my flight (and my bags) leave without me.

As it turns out, all the other flights to Baltimore were sold out until roughly Wednesday, and unless I wanted to fly standby and take my chances, I would have to make other arrangements. Not wanting my bag to sit in Baltimore for two days, nor my brand new boss (I was supposed to be starting a new job today) to fire me, I opted to make other arrangements.

Southwest insists that it behaved appropriately and denied be boarding under Article 10 of the Contract of Carriage (which basically says they can refuse to fly anyone for any reason) but refuses to provide me a refund, under Article 90.

I’ve left more than one phone message for Fred Taylor and his assistant. None of them have been returned. I’ve spoken with their customer relations department and their general 1-800 number and gotten no satisfaction beyond a “well sorry that happened but your fare is non-refundable.”

I am home now, and my boss was understanding, but it still sucks. I may file a chargeback to get my money from Southwest.

UPDATE: Brandon responds your comments:

Couple notes on the comments…

1. I arrived at Gate 1 and was supposed to leave out of Gate 9. Between Gate 1 and Gate 9 is a security checkpoint. Had I arrived at Gate 3, I would have been fine.
2. As for the altercation with the gate agent, I told her I was going to complain to her supervisor about her attitude when I got to BWI, and at that point she told me I wasn’t flying on this flight and I could complain to her supervisor right then and there.

Oh, and as for the flight times, they are right: you do get told after you pick the tickets. I was incorrect about that part. And I did notice the flight times when I booked on July 8 (after I got the email); however, knowing San Diego as I thought I did, I figured it would be no problem. And Southwest has always had an exemplary record with regards to holding flights for connecting passengers and rerouting those who are going to miss connections.

UPDATE 2: Brandon got a refund!

I had contacted Christie on Twitter (@SouthwestAir) and she and I were talking this morning before you posted my story. After the story was posted, she was able to convince customer relations to refund my entire return trip ($212). Thanks very much for your help!

(Photo: AComment)

Comments

1. Mfalconieri says:

Legos ROCK!

2. brent_r says:

I hate the airline industry.

I’d say they all need a swift kick in the pants, but I have a feeling the executives and management are so hopelessly oblivious they wouldn’t even notice it.

3. Nate425 says:

I guess I’m confused. Instead of having an “exchange” with the gate agent, why didn’t he just put on his shoes? If he was actually working on getting his shoes on, I’m hoping they would have waited for him. Feels like something was left out of this story.

4. dieselman8 says:

…and why don’t we have high speed rail yet?

• catskyfire says:

@dieselman8: Because most distances make this a less cost effective method?
      But then, I’m in Nebraska. It’d be even less cost effective in Montana. But, if you want to start up a high speed rail system, go for it.

• kc2idf says:

@dieselman8: Hell, I would settle for effective conventional-speed rail.

• ecwis says:

@dieselman8: High speed rail goes about 125 mph. The distance from Sacramento to Baltimore is about 2,700 miles. So it would take him 21.6 hours (with no stops) on a high speed train to get to Baltimore.

• djsyndrome says:

@ecwis: maybe we should buy our trains from the Japanese then; Shinkansen trains there run nearly 190 mph.

• RenRen says:

@djsyndrome: I say we start our own airline… Consumerist Air: For those who take no bullsh*t. We wouldn’t, of course, take any bullsh*t.

• jamar0303 says:

@ecwis: I think this may be better suited to regional trips first (for example, intra-CA; SD-LA-SF and maybe onward to Portland and Seattle). Cross-country travel is a tougher nut to crack.

@djsyndrome: That’s on the east-west trains that run on nearly flat ground (and mountains are tunneled through). The trains that run north don’t go quite that fast. Also, they have dedicated tracks which Amtrak can’t seem to do. In America, that means that our east-west trains would require us to tunnel through the Rockies, and we would to lay plenty of new track. A byproduct of this additional work if it were implemented would be that we would have more jobs.

5. QuinnVintersorg says:

After we bail out all the financial failures, lets bail out the airline industries again and give the CEO’s giant severance packages to get them to leave.

Thats the way that America works right? If you fail and must quit your job, you should get enough money to feed an entire starving nation for a year as a reward right?

6. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Were both legs of the journey on Southwest?
    Typically when making connecting flights on the same airline you are already behind the security gates. Is San Diego different?

San Diego Terminal Maps:
    [www.san.org]

• johnmc says:

@IfThenElvis: The only way to get direct from SMF to SAN is on WN, so it had to be.

• cubsd says:

@johnmcorg: Southwest uses the old Terminal One building. If you look on the far right, you can see Gates 1+2 there. The Op needed to get to Gate 9, and yes there is security between the two. It’s messed up, but one of the ways SW keeps it’s fares low is by using older terminals, rather than building shiny bright new ones like United and AA do.

7. ianmac47 says:

Just sue them.

8. Southwest is just showing it’s dominance. Bearing that in mind, and using Yoda and KMFDM as refrences, “A constant realization of dominance results in fear.” Followed by, “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

By the transative property of quotes, we can determine that Southwest Airlines is trying to make us suffer…I might have made a mistake in my logic somerwhere int here though.

9. dmolavi says:

that’s BS. I fly SW all the time and they have the flight times listed…maybe he booked through orbitz or travelocity, in which case it’s not the airline’s fault…

• @dmolavi: Taking the OP at face value (or, using the information at hand), how would it be the fault of Orbitz/Travelocity/Expedia/etc. that the airline denied him entry to the plane “because they felt like it?”

• dmolavi says:

@valarmorghulis: i meant the ridiculously short layover was the fault of the booking agent (orbitz, travelocity, etc who don’t show times prior to payment). the boarding denial may or may not have been justified, depending on what the “exchange” with the gate agent entailed.

• Veeber says:

@dmolavi: I don’t think orbitz or travelocity can book Southwest flights.

I’m trying to book a flight to LA and they don’t list the transfer times. I only have the boarding time of my first flight and the arrival time for the last flight. They don’t give you that info until you move to page 3.

• johnmc says:

@dmolavi: Not an option. Southwest doesn’t sell through the aggregators.

• SniDa says:

@dmolavi:
      As far as I know, Southwest does not allow booking through third party sites.

10. MikeB says:

I do have a question about the below quote. Especially with the “After an exchange” part. What was the exchange and how was the agent hostile?

Now, there could be rules and or regulations (Company or FAA) that requires this for safety reasons and the agent was just following the rules without common sense. No matter where you go, you will get that.

Also, if you are dealing with someone that is hostile from the get go the best policy is to do what they say. Especially when the person you are dealing with can easily disrupt your timetable.

11. @ianmac47: Why, when a chargeback is faster, requires no filing fee, and can be done over the phone.

12. B says:

Just as an FYI, most airports, if you have a connecting flight to make, will rush you through the security checkpoint. Just politely explain the situation to the TSA agents, and they should be human enough to help you out.
    Southwest, of course, should have seen the issue and helped rush you through security so you wouldn’t have an issue. And, of course, they should have let you board with your shoes off, or, you know, let you put your shoes and board.

• Corporate_guy says:

@B: That is a terrible idea. Anyone asking to be rushed through security should be checked out more.

• Youthier says:

@Corporate_guy: I suspect that you would show your boarding pass and they would see that your flight leaves in 20 minutes. Not necessarily a security threat,

• freelunch says:

@Youthier: Just don’t do this in DFW airport… I have seen TSA agents tell a person that they will not be able to make their flight, regardless of priority in line… even though the flight is still boarding and within view of security.

DFW TSA agents tend to power trip and don’t like you asking for favors – I have seen a TSA agent tell a person they can’t go through security because their flight was scheduled to department in less than 5 minutes, and the TSA agent said – and I quote – “that ticket is no longer valid to pass through security”… and then informed the woman she had to go back to the AA counter and book on another flight.

• Mr_Human says:

@Corporate_guy: I’ve seen this done quite often, actually

13. VasinMacrotainer says:

Your training has been completed. You may now re-integrate with society.

14. tubby says:

not that i’m defending the airline, but rock sandals when you fly for this reason among others.

15. Drewtal says:

“Southwest doesn’t give you your flight times until you’ve booked.”

Wrong. They’re not Priceline, Palin.

16. JustThatGuy3 says:

“Southwest doesn’t give you your flight times until you’ve booked”

Huh? They definitely do tell you the connection time before you book. The first page (once you say Sacramento to Baltimore on X date) shows you the total time and connections. Once you choose a flight (but several steps before you pay) it shows you that the flights are:

Sacramento-San Diego, flight 951, arrives 12:00PM
    San Diego-Baltimore, flight 130, leaves 12:25PM

Also, it’s weird that they were in separate buildings – today, for example, the Sacramento-San Diego flight arrives into gate 6, and the San Diego-Baltimore flight leaves out of gate 8, so practically right next to each other.

• Brian D says:

@JustThatGuy3: Glad someone else called BS on this before me. I went through the same steps, faking a SW booking, just to see if it told me the flight times before booking. It definitely does, and I know I wouldn’t book a flight with a 25 minute turnaround, whether I knew I had to go through security or not.
      Belated edit before I hit submit: Apparently there are some flights that only say the number of stops and do not give a specific schedule, so I guess the story is still plausible.

• Barbarisater says:

@JustThatGuy3: Cincinatti is that way with ComAir in having to change terminals. But no need to go through security again. When I flew to Amsterdam I had to go through security at Heathrow when changing planes. On the way back we had to pass through a metal detector even though the gates were right next to each other.

17. KeelyDana? says:

I also wonder about that exchange. I fly Southwest regularly (about once a month) and I’ve seen them hold the plane for 10-15 minutes because they know a passenger is on the way but just not there yet. I would imagine those were layovers like this one, but of course there may be special circumstances in those cases that I don’t know about.

18. chgoeditor says:

I question the accuracy of Brandon’s story. You can access a list of all of the arriving and departing Southwest flights at San Diego by going here:
    [www.san.org]

Every Southwest flight listed for today is arriving and departing from gates 3-10, which are all in the same area behind the same security checkpoint. The only way he’d have to go through security is if he were changing airlines, or decided to tempt fate, leave the concourse for some reason, and then got stuck at security while trying to re-enter. Brandon, what gate did you arrive at and what gate did you depart from?

• JustThatGuy3 says:

@djsyndrome:

It’s not the trains, it’s the track. In the Northeast Corridor (the only part of the Amtrak system, with a couple of small exceptions, that actually makes logical sense), the Acela trains could go far faster than they do, but the railbed doesn’t allow for it.

19. chgoeditor says:

Mea culpa…I lied. I see that a couple flights come into or depart from gates 1 & 2, which could be behind a separate security area. (the secure areas aren’t marked on the map.)

20. Overheal says:

I smell a fish to be honest, this guy doesnt tell us a damn thing about the altercation he had with the gate attendant.

21. kepler11 says:

Forgive me for blaming the victim right off the bat with the following comments. But it sounds like it is mostly your fault, despite the short connection time.

1. How long would it have taken to put your shoes on, and not even tie them, but have them on your feet? Are you saying you ran through the airport quite a distance to the gate without any shoes on? I cannot imagine that saving you any appreciable time, and not to mention gross-ness of running through an airport with bare feet.

2. The reason they insist on shoes is because of safety/regulations that require people to wear shoes on planes. Or at least board the plane wearing shoes.

3. Here is where you went really wrong. It sounds like you pissed off the gate agent with your “exchange”, and were instantly labeled as a non-cooperative passenger, which gate agents and crew have broad discretion to deny boarding to. And often times (though sometimes incorrectly) rightfully so. Someone who is agitated and uncooperative on the ground is even more of a problem in the air in an enclosed space.

It sounds like you could have gotten on that plane (“you can board if you have shoes on”) if you had just taken a moment to calm down, and listen to what was being told to you. Sure, the connection time was tight, but you turned a marginal situation into a disaster. From the bits you left out, I can only assume that the argument you had with the agent did yourself no favors.

• MustyBuckets says:

@kepler11: It definately seems like the ‘exchange’ is the problem here, if he just taken the 30 seconds to put on his shoes (I assume they were untied, as he took them off) like the attendant asked, I’m sure he would have been able to board.

Regardless, how hostile can you be when you say something similar to “You need to be wearing your shoes before you board the plane”. Aside from screaming it, or being physical, I can’t think of a way that someone telling me that would be.

What I think happened is he took out his anger on the short layover on the first person in a south west uniform he saw, and paid the price for it.

22. stargazerlily says:

“C’mon, Southwest, you couldn’t have held things for 30 seconds so the guy could put on his shoes?”

I have worked for Frontier, United, and JetBlue, and we did not hold flights EVER for passengers! Massive tie-up on the insterstate? Backlog at security? Sorry, pal! If I don’t get this bird out of here on time, then I have to fill out paperwork, catch heck from my supervisor and General Manager, and submit a report to Corporate.

We have been known to ask the ramp (ground crew) for a fast push in order to INTENTIONALLY leave passengers behind. Also, we will hang out in the jetbridge until the plane has pulled away from the terminal, then head back out to the concourse to face the teeming masses.

• oneandone says:

@stargazerlily: I was on a transatlantic Delta flight last year that was held for 15 passengers whose connecting flight was coming in late….. while we waited for them, thunderstorms happened and we ‘lost our place in line.’ 7 hours later we finally left. So I’m not a fan of holding flights, but for someone who is obviously there (and not en route), I wouldn’t begrudge the gate agent from giving him some slack.

• cordeliapotter says:

@stargazerlily: I was on a United flight a year ago and when we arrived in Phoenix, we circled the airport for about an hour and then taxied around the airport for another 45 minutes, putting us 2 hours past our arrival time, and the flight attendants said that everyone connecting to such-and-such-a flight didn’t have to panic because it was being held for them.

• RedwoodFlyer says:

@stargazerlily:

Actually..B6 does hold flights, the basic formula is 1 minute per pax if there are other flights within 4 hours, 2 minutes per pax if there are other flights the same day, and 3 minutes/at discretion of captain and dispatch if there are no more flights or routings that evening

23. mrgenius says:

Yet another reason not to fly SW… have they stopped their whole cattle call, no assigned seat thing? If so, I might give them another chance.

24. BusyBusyBusyBusySleep says:

Somewhat off-topic: I remember that Miami (MIA) used to be like this – you’d have to transfer from one flight to another, and you’d have to leave the secure zone, then come back in. I flew EWR-MIA-KIN, then the same trip back – when transferring in Miami, I had to leave the secure area and go through security again…twice. Gah!

I think a healthy amount of process analysis could really benefit the airports. I realize there are international concerns (arriving passengers who haven’t gone through customs yet shouldn’t mix with domestic passengers), but that can be worked around – don’t make someone get re-security-checked when going from terminal A to terminal B. (Granted, this might involve constructing new skyways or passageways…but this is something that should have been thought of a while ago!)

25. couldbebopeep says:

he must have been really rude! SAS held a flight 15 minutes for me out of paris of all places – you just have to be nice to them!

26. 12-Inch Idongivafuck Sandwich says:

Based on this and the doctor story (just in the last 2 days!), it sounds like Southwest is becoming just as shitty and worthless as the rest of the airlines…

Delta it is…

• RedwoodFlyer says:

@12-Inch Idongivafuck Sandwich:

Read the update on the MD story though…it basically sounds like both parties could have done better. This story smells funny too…

WN gives people from 18-24 a free roundtrip after 3 (google southwest rapidrewards college) and no fees…they basically rock (even though we somewhat compete with them!)

27. ShejaliGadgey says:

I agree with you, but be wary – my flip flop broke in the Dallas airport and I boarded two flights with only one sandal.

Thankfully, no one noticed.

28. mugsywwiii says:

I’m curious why he says “After an exchange with this gate agent, she denied me boarding altogether,” and not “After failing to put my shoes on before the plane departed…”

It sounds like he made it to the gate in time, but he argued with the gate attendant. He never claims he missed his flight because he couldn’t make it to the gate fast enough. It’s clear from the rest of the article that he didn’t fail to make it in time, he was denied boarding.

C’mon consumerist, learn to read the complaints your readers send you.

• Fly Girl says:

@mugsywwiii: I read it that way, too. The OP made it to the gate in time and was denied boarding after a confrontation with the gate agent.

It sounds like, from the OP’s account, the gate agent was going to let him board the plane *if* he put his shoes on, which was probably a measure taken to ensure the OP’s safety. …Many of the airports that WN serves have some walk-up gates instead of jetways, meaning that the passengers have to walk on the tarmac and then take a set of stairs up to the aircraft. I don’t know if that was the situation here, but that’s a possible explanation for why shoes would be a requirement for boarding the aircraft. Obviously, because of liability, an airline can’t have people walking barefooted on the tarmac and up stairs.

The OP, of course, skims right over the part where he discusses the “exchange with the gate agent” which is, ultimately, the REAL reason he didn’t make it on the flight. If he was going to fight with the gate agent over something as simple as putting his shoes on, the gate agent was probably well within his/her rights to deny boarding. Why would he have ANY sort of “exchange” with the gate agent other than, “Whew! That was close! Let me slip these shoes on and I’ll be on my way! Thanks!”

There’s every possibility that they DID hold the flight for him, knowing that he was connecting and probably held up at security. When he wasted time by debating the gate agent about the need to put his shoes on rather than just hurrying up, putting on his shoes, and getting on the flight, the agent probably figured that it was pointless and just let the flight leave without him on it.

The other issue I have? The tag of “chargeback” on this post. This is NOT an example of a legitimate chargeback. If the OP was denied boarding due to a confrontation with the gate agent, the airline was well within the scope of the law. They offered the OP a confirmed re-booking for Wednesday, or standby flights up to that point. (Not knowing when this took place, I don’t know whether “Wednesday” meant a 12 hour delay or a one week delay.) That’s all that Southwest was obligated to offer. When the OP decided to book his own flight, separately, and to turn down Southwest’s offer, he did that at his own expense.

This is another hard travel lesson learned: book adequate connection times (A 25 minute layover? Really? And if the originating flight left 10 minutes late?…) and don’t get confrontational with airline employees– the law is on their side and you won’t win.

29. Optimistic Prime says:

This is a problem at many airports. I wouldn’t be too quick to blame just the airline, though they handled it poorly. ANC has different sections, and you must leave the sterile area if another leg is in the other terminal. That’s just silly. SEA does it right and has a tram running underneath it so you never have to leave the sterile area.

30. oneandone says:

Since when is it safe to let a plane take off with someone’s bags checked on it while that person is not on the plane? I know this was a domestic flight, but lots of foreign carriers won’t do it, because of bomb potential. Some will even hold the plane and take off the missing person’s luggage if they’re not there…. which, in a big picture kind of way, seems sensible (though irritating to the people waiting and probably the air traffic control).

If you’re not on the plane but your bag is, it should be considered a suspicious object. The screening’s not good enough to catch everything. Obviously, there’s a risk that people who boarded the plan also have dangerous luggage, but I would be there’s a much greater number of people willing to put an explosive bag on a plane & then just wait in the airport.

• Fly Girl says:

@oneandone: No domestic carrier holds flights for passenger/bag mismatch. Only on international flights does the bag match matter, and that’s because of customs, not because of safety/security.

If each domestic flight that had mismatched bags on it was held while the bags were removed, it would create MASSIVE delays and flights would never, ever leave on time. Ultimately, mismatched baggage doesn’t create anymore of a security concern than anything else does.

31. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

I hope everyone reads Brandon’s response to our comments before commenting further… but I know it won’t happen… let the predictable begin.. :)

32. skilled1 says:

well that really does suck, however it sucks more for you. very few people realize that the people with the most power, AND deal with the most crap on a day to day basis ARE the gate agents.

perhaps if you would have put your shoes on, instead of arguing, you would have made your flight, or perhaps if you would have worked with the gate agent, rather then flinging them shit, they would have pt you on a connecting flight though another airlines.

way to screw yourself out of help.

33. DarkForest says:

Never ever ever only leave 25 minutes for a layover.

Glad you got your money back though.

34. daveforamerica says:

yeah, i’m pretty sure in this day and age an aircraft will not take off with someone’s bags if they are not on the plane.

i’ve been on domestic flights where they had to delay in order to take the bags off.

• chrisjames says:

@daveforamerica: In this day and age, when scheduling is a nightmare, they send the bags out on the first plane that’s headed in the right direction.

Seriously, they’ll match bags to the right planes as well as they can, but if there’s a mixup with the plane, there’s likely a mixup with the bags too. If, say, a plane to DFW out of ATL is expected to arrive late because of general delay, they’ll send the bags out on an earlier flight to DFW to save room. Ultimately, it’s up to the airport of departure to make the call, and likely the airline too, if I read the luggage desk guy’s insinuation right.

No, they do not match luggage to passenger. It’s probably more like they match luggage to check-in.

• MissPeacock says:

@chrisjames: Exactly. I had a flight canceled to Nashville one evening, but my bags (and everyone else’s bags for that flight) went on that night without me. (God only knows how they got there.) I would have holed up with them in the luggage department if it meant I could have flown to my destination on time. :(

35. VeiledThreats says:

The arriving gates being outside of security fr connecting flight gates is a problem not just at SAN. We recently encountered this on an intl arrival into EWR. Many people on our inbound flight purchased alcohol at the duty free which they carried on. Because you claim your bag, go through customs and then recheck your bag you could stow the booze. However, since they don’t tell you that you are now behind a TSA checkpoint if you’re making a domestic connection and that your liquid needs to be checked, many angry passengers were having their expensive whiskey confiscated after their bags were already long gone. I don’t know why arriving gates are EVER not in the sterile area, but this seems to be a common problem.

36. johnnya2 says:

First off, the frustration should really be with YOUR government hiring $7 an hour people to run TSA. Do you really feel safer flying with the people they have checking you through. If you do, I have some land in south Florida for you. I am also unsure how hard it is to put on your shoes. It seems your could have run faster with your shoes on then barefoot, with less chance of dropping something. And trust me, your bags do not necessarily travel with you. My golf clubs and luggage are the only things that ever made it to my 4 day trip to Cabo, when I missed my connecting flight in Houston and was told the next available flight was 3 days later (meaning I would get to Cabo on Friday morning at 11am, and leave Friday afternoon at 3pm.

37. trujunglist says:

San Diego’s Southwest terminal is interesting. There is one “main” terminal, where there are about 9 gates, and a smaller “aux” terminal where there are about 3 gates. Since they are separated by a public area, you have to go through different security lines to get through. I can see how this would be a problem for the OP, because I’ve had a few similar problems in the past (i.e. a gate change to the other terminal area, ticket agent telling me wrong gate, etc). Most of the time this isn’t a problem because I believe they generally reserve the gates for smaller, semi-regional flights (i.e. to Tucson, or somewhere close, where no one would be connecting), because it usually isn’t a problem.

38. cortana says:

The flight left with his bag on it, which is illegal under TSA regs, as well as FAA regs. Feel free to complain to these two agencies about their mishandling of your belongings.

• RedwoodFlyer says:

@cortana:

Uhh…no it’s not. The bags can’t leave before the first leg the pax is on, but any subsequent flights on the same journey don’t have to have a bag/pax match, and they can forward the bag before the passenger’s flight.

Basically, you’re pulling regs out of thin air – which is a gross disservice to everyone – please go read some FAR’s before you comment next time.

39. calchip says:

I’ve had to make the gate 1 to gate 8 dash before. I believe that, actually, one of the less-than-one-hand’s worth of complaints I actually had was with a Southwest gate agent at San Diego.

I wonder if you happened to get the same bitch I did, because the attitude was pretty much identical (except there was enough time for me to get a supervisor and get her overruled.)

That sort of attitude is so unusual at Southwest (in my experience, at least) that I would think someone should look into this and perhaps consider giving this gate agent some help. Perhaps she’s burnt out and just not giving the level of service they normally provide.