Timberland Offering Up To $150 To Recipients Of Its Text Message Spam

Did you receive text message spam from Timberland between 2003 and last month? If so, you may be eligible for $150 in we’re-not-admitting-guilt apology money from them, according to Info World:

Under the terms of a preliminary settlement agreement, [Timberland and e-commerce company GSI] will pay $7 million into a cash fund to reimburse those who received the messages, according to KamberEdelson LLC, one of the law firms that helped bring the suit.

To sign up for your slice of the $7 million pie—pending court approval—visit www.timberlandtextsettlement.com and register as a claimant. You have to register by Feburary 2nd, 2009.

“Timberland pays out to settle text spam lawsuit” [InfoWorld via IntoMobile]

Comments

1. Ein2015 says:

I wonder how many people falsely claim they are entitled to the money in these class action lawsuits?

How do the courts figure out who is being truthful and who is not?

2. kurtisnelson says:

How am I supposed to remember if I was texted?

• Branan says:

@kurtisnelson: You could go back through your bill and check all the incoming text numbers online until you find one that matches a timberland number. That’s what most people are going to have to do. I’d bet Timberland is counting on it.

3. timmus says:

Wow — $150 in cold cash? THESE lawyers are who we need to represent us against Visa, TransUnion, etc. No pansy-ass “three months of free credit monitoring” or voucher crap.

4. tom2133 says:

GSI Commerce? This the same GSI that runs the websites for Sports Authority, Dick’s Sporting Goods, etc?

5. semanticantics says:

I like that song they did with Justin Timberlake.

6. Jonbo298 says:

Right now its just fill out paper and mail it. Online fill out ‘Coming Soon’

7. funnyfarm299 says:

I am amazed at the job the lawyers did for the consumers in this case. I always thought the only people who would benefit from a class-action were the lawyers and the judge. There is a class-action relating to the hinges on my model laptop breaking, and I was worried about contacting the group representing us. However, I may have to reconsider my view.

8. It’s maximum $150.

If everyone on Earth signs up, then you’ll get $3.

9. RedwoodFlyer says:

I got some ringtone spam for some Timbaland song…close enough, where’s my check?