Threatening To Cancel Comcast Saves Man $238.92 Per Year

David used the classic Threaten To Cancel method to save big time on his cable bill, $238.92 per year. Better yet, he did it in the face of Comcast trying to raise his bill. Granted, it was by less than a dollar. But why pay more if you don’t have to? Here’s how he did it.

He told the CSR that he was not happy with service anymore and found it overpriced. The rep tried to get him to to a lower bandwith for a lower price. Dave said no, I just want to cancel. Comcast came back with $33/month for 6 months.

“I said that was a good price,” writes David, “but that I still wanted to cancel…unless he gave me that price for 12 months. He agreed, and now I am paying almost half of the full monthly rate, without having to add more services I don’t need (ie home phone and cable TV), or downgrading It seems like Comcast is very willing to keep the customers they already have, so take advantage of that and get yourself a lower rate.”

It’s not just David, here’s a couple of other readers who were able to do the same thing the same way:
Threatening To Cancel Cable Can Get You Discounts
Attention: You Lowered Your Cable Bill

(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. dragonfire81 says:

My advice to people who do this is to make sure the company sticks to their promises.

I used to work for a wireless provider who would offer discounts and special deals to those who threatened to cancel IF they agreed to renew their contract with us.

I saw a fair number of instances where the promised terms were not honored and the customers found themselves locked into a contract they could not escape without ETF.

• Difdi says:

@dragonfire81: That is contract fraud. A corporate agent (which a retention CSR almost has to be, to do their job) makes an agreement with a customer about changes to a contract then never actually writes them down. That’s lawsuit country, and not a small claim either.

There’s some nasty liability for the company there, if the customer was recording the call. (Why do people trust CSRs so implicitly, expecting the CSR to have their best interests at heart, anyway?)

• dragonfire81 says:

@Difdi: Well the customer faces an uphill battle on that, at least with some companies. Written confirmations are not sent for special offers. You will get a notice your contract was renewed but any special terms agreed to (I.e. 20% discount for 24 months) won’t be on there, it will just be a “Thank you for renewing” courtesy letter.

So you won’t have any written documentation of what’s agreed upon. At the company I worked for, reps had no access to email, nor could we mail customers anything besides form documents on which no information could be altered by us.

Let’s say you agree to the 20% discount but the person who made the agreement with you didn’t put any record of it on your account. Since you have no written documentation to back up your claim, the company says you are SOL (when you call after not seeing the discount on your next bill) and quotes the “arbitration/no lawsuit” clause of their agreement if you threaten legal action.

I am not saying I AGREE WITH THIS, but I saw supervisors and managers use this exact approach to try and get out of honoring something that was supposedly offered to someone.

A recording of a call might cover you and it might now, where I worked, supervisors and managers were directed to never honor anything on the basis of a customer recorded call, since there was no way to verify the authenticity of the call (ie that they didn’t have their buddy pretend to be a CS rep).

Again not agreeing with this, but this was the approach of managment.

• dweebster says:

@dragonfire81: Why did you leave Sprint?

2. esd2020 says:

Shhh! If everyone does this they’ll catch on!

• @esd2020: From somebody who used to do telephone customer service; it is unlikly that the person on the other end of that phone even cares what you get away with provided you treat them with respect and listen to them. Seriously.

3. dmolavi says:

this probably only works in markets where there are viable alternatives (ie FiOS or U-Verse).

• @dmolavi: You’re right. The absence of competition equals an absence of leverage. Even if you threaten to cancel, they’ll just call your bluff because they can’t conceive of someone actually canceling their TV service.

• lajoan says:

@InfiniTrent:
        I agree. A couple years ago, I did cancel my basic cable and went with the antenna ears to save time and force myself to do something besides watch TV. The CSR was beside herself that I didn’t want TV service.

But, the joke was on them. A few days after cancelling, I plugged the cable back into the TV and continued to get free cable for about 15 months until I moved. They cancelled my account, but they didn’t turn off the service. Unfortunately, I kept watching tV and never got anything productive done.

4. rpm773 says:

Actually, I didn’t even have to go this far. My 12-month HBO/Starz deal that I had with Comcast expired, and they sent me a flier offering some different TV packages (all of which which happened to be more expensive than what I had had).

I called them to drop HBO and Starz, and they countered with a package that allowed me to keep HBO/Starz, and save $30/month. I didn’t even have to threaten to cancel the service. Also, I was not roped into a contract with an ETF.

5. Gopher bond says:

Just be prepared for your “I want to cancel” to be followed by “OK fine…clickety, click, click. You are cancelled. Anything else?”

Sometimes you get a CSR that’s not in the negotiating mood and doesn’t really care whether you stay or go. Might not be a good idea if you have no alternatives.

• startertan says:

@testsicles: I encountered this as well. I called late at night and got a call center rep in Idaho or something. After trying to sell me Comcast’s triple play when I threatened to go to FIOS she said, “Ok fine, when do you want to cancel”. I made up some lie about asking my gf and she called my bluff.

The next day I called and got the local Comcast office. This time (thanks to a suggestion by my gf) I told them that I like Comcast service but I’m sick of new subscribers getting the best prices and deals. We went through the triple play dance again and I finally got my bill lowered to $92 from $120 and they added HBO, Showtime, and Starz for free.

• Dansc29625 says:

@testsicles: I know a guy that is in the retention dept at a cable company. If someone actually decides to cancel their service, the retention agent earns a negative commission. That means that he looses commission that was earned on previous transactions.

• Gopher bond says:

@Dansc29625: I’m sure but you can’t tell my there aren’t a large number of CSRs that just don’t care. In fact, I know there are because when I was moving I tried a version of this where I said, I’d rather just transfer the service but I think it costs too much, if I could get the special intro rate for the next 12 months, I’d like to just transfer, if not, then I think I’ll nee to cancel. I was hoping for a reduced rate but I got, “OK, you’re canceled. HAve a good day.” And that was that. Again, I didn’t say it would happen, I just said be prepared for it. How come everytime I offer advice about what could possibly go wrong, people always say “That isn’t likely to happen because of…”? I’m not saying it’s likely to happen.

6. Nathan Smart says:

I bet you they’re doing this so that down the line they can say, “See? We put in our usage caps and people aren’t canceling. It’s a hit!”

7. ironchef says:

I pull that stunt with my newspaper.

They will chop up to half on your subscription.

8. JohnDeere says:

i did the same with direct tv. first time a week before my contract expired, they gave me all the movie channels free for 6 months and no new contract. after that first week i called to cancel anyway they cut $20 off my bill and gave me a big credit to last till next year still with no contract. i got it all in writing.

9. Shaftoe says:

One of my biggest issues with how comcast and others bring in new subscribers by offering low initial rates is that as in the OP case, they are reactive rather then being proactive. Can you imagine the goodwill generated if they gave long time subscribers a cut rate deal as they do for new subscribers every couple of years or so?

• econobiker says:

@Shaftoe: In the case of a married couple you might be able to switch around the “new subscriber rates” between the spouses. We did that due to moving from one apt to a new one. Wife had old account in old apt, I got new account in new apt.

• BrianDaBrain says:

@Shaftoe: It may build loyalty, but it cuts profits by a lot. Cable companies don’t make their money from new customers with big discounts. They make their money off of existing customers who don’t have discounts and whose rates go up every year. Consider that Comcast, in areas where they have stiff competition, offers bundle rates good enough that they only make a very small profit from them. But, if you’re lucky enough to be a Comcast customer in one of the areas they hold a monopoly, you pay much higher prices, because Comcast uses these areas to recoup the revenue they lose in areas with competition.

10. gwangi says:

I called them up and told them I was being let go from my job (believable in the economy). I now pay $42 less a month for 1 year.

11. ShikhaCadimillac says:

When Comcast took over for Time Warner in the Houston market they raised their rates almost immediately. When I called and tried the ‘Threaten to Cancel’ approach, I got just what testsicles mentioned, the ol’ ‘OK, we’ll see you later.’

I had been a customer for several years and the CSR could not have cared less.

I used rabbit ears for the next year or so until I moved to an entirely different market.

It wasn’t so bad, I saved upwards of a thousand dollars over the course of the year.

12. HIV 2 Elway says:

I did this with local SureWest and got my bill loawered $180 a year. My technique, told them over and over that I was satisfied with their service but that I felt it was too expensive and that I knew their competitor was offering a promotion.

13. nerdyone says:

You could do what I did. My comcast cable bill $44 a month for HD and internet. I only get NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, CW, and a few locals all in HD. How? I let my Panasonic do the decoding with it’s built in QAM tuner. No DVR, no OnDemand, but I have a $44 a month bill

• Trai_Dep says:

@nerdyone: Err, you know that you probably can get those channels (plus the PBS ones, etc) for free with an antenna, right? And the resolution for OTA signals is much higher rez.
      Might want to check it out (you’ll need a HD antenna, not a standard one). Could save you $500/yr.

14. theblackdog says:

Anyone try this with Verizon DSL? I would love to cut my DSL bill down from $43 but then I’d be afraid I’d get the CSR who just cancels me, and then that means I have to go with the evil Comcast!

• nate4096 says:

@theblackdog: I just got my service upgraded with Verizon DSL for the same cost a month. Doubled my speed, no increase. Might be that I’m on dry loop dsl and pay extra for that anyways.

• theblackdog says:

@nate4096: I have dry loop DSL as well, currently the 3/1.5 rate plan. I should see if they offer a faster speed for the same price, or see if I can just get a price drop on the current speed because it’s good and fast for me.

15. jhpope says:

i wonder if you can get them to extend promo periods up front…since what they offer you is just the current promo

• BrianDaBrain says:

@jhpope: Don’t count on that. There is a much bigger emphasis on keeping existing customers than there is on acquiring new customers. The cable company I work for, for example, has much higher discounts for retention than they do for acquisition. It may seem illogical, but it’s cheaper to keep a current customer than to acquire a new one. Also, existing customers don’t tend to have any kind of rate guarantee, and cable providers make a large chunk of profit from increasing the rates on these customers.

16. Clobberella says:

I did this recently with Comcast and it was incredibly easy. I have their “VIP” deal and I naturally found myself paying a lot more than I wanted to after the promo period wore off. So I called them and mentioned I was thinking of switching to Direct because of the price. That is the only thing I said, and the CSR immediately offered to cut the price for my entire package down to less than what I had paid at the promo rate AND give me my DVR free AND lock it in for two years. Almost $60 a month, just like that. The rep sounded like she’d done this many times before. So it’s definitely worth a shot, at least if you’re in an area where Comcast has any kind of competition.

17. karmaghost says:

My local Comcast billing/service/whatever office is (surprisingly) staff by a few helpful, friendly ladies. Anytime I have billing issues, I go there and they usually fix it and then give me an extra promotion or extend my current one on the spot.

18. The Great Aussie Evil says:

Got the insta-cancel kind here. No antenna reception in my suburb means no TV.

19. The Folding Chair Security Intern says:

Begging for a disemvoweling here, but here’s to hoping the people who proudly have called to bullshit their way into a discount aren’t in a position of public service where their morals could seep through and land them on the wrong end of a post on this site.

• Nerys says:

@The Folding Chair Security Intern:

You have a strange sense of morals there The Folding Chair. You work for the cable company or some crap?

The objective of the consumer is to get as much as they can for as little as they can.

The objective of the corporation is to GIVE a little as they can for as much money as they can.

Its just that simple. When you play the game all is fair as long as no crimes are committed. If the rep WILLINGLY gives you a break how can you POSSIBLE sit there and question his morals?

There is only ONE reason. your pissed he got a better deal than you did. Pure and simple.

Get over yourself.

20. Suulia says:

If a customer 1. pays their bill on time every month and 2. has been with us for years, then yes, we are more than happy to give you a promotional price for a while.

However, if you 1. don’t pay your bill on time, and 2. threaten to cancel every time your promotion wears off, then when you threaten to cancel again you get 3. cancelled at your request.

And asking for a supervisor/manager doesn’t work, because the supervisor/managers follow the same rules that the phone/lobby agents do. Talk to the Retention department. They’re the ones that try and retain you as a customer and if you’re a good customer, they’ll give you a great deal as thanks for staying with us.

[Obligatory disclaimer: "I work for Comcast but I am not a Comcast spokesman; these are my own comments and opinions"

21. Bye says:

I’m so thankful that Comcast called my bluff 5 years ago when they raised our rates after a slew of service issues. We’ve been so much happier with the greater variety of channels and overall service of DirecTV – at a much cheaper price.

It’s not that I love DirecTV but it’s so reliable I cannot remember the last time I had to call them for customer service. (That’s how “entertainment” should be – no f’ing hassles.)

And I still think it’s amusing that I was so afraid of losing our signal more often with satellite, but with Comcast, we lost our signal with alarming frequency. (And they could/would never figure it out.)

• bones11 says:

@Rey: It really depends on weather conditions for DirectTV, not sure where you are but in UT the cabling on people’s satellites can overheat causing the signal to go in and out. In the wintertime they get snowed on and people have to climb to wherever they have it mounted and clean it off, only for 4 more inches of snow to dump on it in 5 minutes.

• Nerys says:

@bones11:

They make great little “covers” that you put on the dishes which makes it impossible for snow to gather and the cable is easy Wrap it in a sleeve and paint white. your heat problems will go away.

22. maztec says:

Comcast really hates people that order internet access only. :|

23. He says:

He would have saved more if he actually canceled. Get your TV online, over the air, etc.

• warf0x0r says:

@He: With only 250GB a month if that person had any other demand for high bandwidth, say they were part of a film colaboration trading footage through ftp or something, they would easily run out of allotted bandwidth per month.

• Nerys says:

@warf0x0r:

Not really. I download like crazy. Just downloaded all of I dream of jeannie and all of home improvement AND all of the last 2 weeks of new episodes. not even a fraction of 250gb. even 8 seasons of home improvement was only 33gb.

Episodes are 350 each. thats a LOT of frelling tv without getting anywhere near 250gb.

I do NOT like the limit. Its a con job to me (it was offered as unlimited and unlimited should be unlimited period) but its really not going to bother me for now.

24. fjordtjie says:

i did that with charter, because it was the end of my intro period and there was no way i was going to pay $60 a month for something I’d just spent the last 6 paying $20 for. the internet doesn’t even work all the time, charter is a joke. unfortunatley, verizon and at&t don’t have service at my building, and there’s no other companies (that i know of) in madison that offer internet. so it was charter or get a phone and dial up.

i called to cancel, having no idea they were going to offer me the same price i’d been paying indefinitely–i made extra sure that was the case and it wasn’t another ‘intro’. she called it an ‘existing customer discount’. woot.

25. caveatrob says:

My Comcast rep told me that while this might work once or twice, eventually Comcast will tell you to sign up for DVR and leave them alone.

26. xxoo says:

I own a small business in NYC and called Verizon and told them I could do better elsewhere. Voila, they reduced my bill by $50.00 per month (25% reduction). Just like that.

27. jojo319 says:

The key is to ALWAYS set the cancellation a few days out. That way if they call your bluff, you can call back and “change your mind” before they actually shut you off. Works like a charm.

28. bones11 says:

Here is what I don’t understand, when you sign up for service with Comcast it is at an introductory promotional rate. After that rate expires you pay full price just like everyone else. Before I even worked for Comcast I had a promo rate of 24.99/mon.x12mos. for internet – after that it went to the flat rate and I was told it wouldn’t go up anymore after that, and it didn’t for two years. After the two years I decided to work for them. Customers sign up for an “introductory new customer only” price and you are quoted how long that price is good for yet you still call us 12 months later shocked your bill went up and you want to stick it to the man?

• endless says:

@bones11:

Because nothing has changed dramatically on our end, why should our rates go up if you aren’t providing more service?(other than inflation…)

Honestly, if service like this was like any other consumer electronic product, our rates would go DOWN. I mean, once you guys pay off the original investment, shouldn’t our service be cheaper?

29. ldavis480 says:

I promise I’m not going to say anything even remotely along the lines of “blame the consumer”. I will say it boggles my mind that there are consumerist readers that are still Comscat customers.

After all we have seen here over the last couple years from victims of Comscat makes me wonder if we’re getting the word out successfully or not ;-)

• dragonfire81 says:

@ldavis480: Unfortunately if you remember the “Thank god we’re a monopoly” joke from here awhile back you see the problem.

In certain markets Comcast is the ONLY OPTION for consumers. It sucks, but it’s true.

And that GOD I don’t live in one of those places!

30. TurboWagon00 says:

All I know is that I recently switched back to Comcast due a screaming deal, and in under three weeks I have already received 5 pieces of junkmail from unrelated companies as a result. How do I know ? My last name is misspelled in the same way as on my (Comcast) Caller ID.

Bastards.

31. gc3160thtuk says you got your humor in my sarcasm and you say you got your sarcasm in my humor says:

I’m a Charter customer, have been for around 10 years and have never paid regular price for my service. I have always been in a promo and am not even sure what the regular prices for Charter even are. In fact, if I find better deals I change my packages every few months to ensure I am always getting the lowest prices. I also discovered the other day that going to the local office is a better way to get deals or hope for a very nice telephone CSR. I got some dick last week who said he would only give me a deal on internet if I would resign up for telephone so I hung up on him to end the convo. and went to the local office and they got me great prices.

32. KeithSmelt says:

When Verizon finally brought FIOS to my neighborhood, I called Comcast to see what they could do for a 10 year formerly captive internet/cable customer. No joy. So I got FIOS and cancelled Comcast. Now I can’t get them to quit calling me to offer sweet deals to get me back.

33. 2719 says:

I think this is not a good advice. It’s probably better to ask politely for a discount first. Depending on the CSR handling your call you may end up with no service.

34. sam-i-am says:

I’ve found that Comcast is usually only willing to negotiate if there is a viable competitor in the area. I once called up to cancel because there was a small fiber network in my neighborhood and the guy made a big deal of searching around the web to make sure I was lying just to get a better deal. Like I’d need to lie to find fault with Comcast…

Now I live in a different city a few miles away and have a fully duplexed 50Mbit last mile fiber connection to my home for $50/mo. I can’t imagine Comcast making any offer to get me to switch from that.

35. OtterOtter says:

As others have said, YMMV on this “trick”. My introductory rate with Comcast went up after the first year. Add the DVR+HD, Internet, and their basic digital service and my bill was $137 a month. Frankly, I just wasn’t willing to pay it anymore.

I needed the Internet service, but was willing to cancel the television if they couldn’t make me a deal. Long story short, the best “deal” they could give me would’ve saved me $9 a month. No thanks. Now I just pay $60 for the Internet service and stream the few shows I want to watch that way. It’s not perfect, but I’m saving money.

So, yeah, kudos to the OP for getting a retention person willing to make a deal. Just be aware it doesn’t work for everyone.

36. The Folding Chair Security Intern says:

@Nerys: My pissed at a better deal? Nah.

People bitch about corporations treating all their customers are criminals. This is why. The first guy has a validly good experience with Retention department doing its job, and with that, 4 other people take advantage of it and falsify a story to get the same deal. And I’m not even saying it’s “wrong” of them, just pointing out the lack of disconnect between the type of people they are and the type of people that Consumerists scream at and hate on the business side. It’s the exact same mindset. It’s a two-edged sword.

37. Gopher bond says:

@ironchef: I just order the paper for a 1-month try out. They always deliver for 2-5 months after that and then try to collect money for the delivery. I always get into an argument with them about how I ordered a paper for one month and paid for one month of service. I did not order, nor shall I pay for anything further, but thanks for the paper.

38. chrisjames says:

Monitor your statements closely if you attempt this. It’s possible the CSR will try and pocket a sale, but to do so they might have to process a cancellation and reinstall, which is costly. Make sure you’re clear with them about exactly what’s going to appear on your bill.

Also, if you were okay with canceling the service before making the call, well, then they’ve sort of suckered you back in. If your first plan is to just cancel a service, then it’s probably best to stick with that plan.

39. GreatWhiteNorth says:

I called up my local internet provider, Bell Canada / Sympatico, and asked their Indian CSR why my service was so expensive when I have an offer from their competition (Rogers Cable) that saves me 40% for the same group of services.

I was pleasantly surprised that the CSR identified that this was outside his area of responsibility but that he would gladly connect me to a retention CSR… So I asked this new CSR in Quebec or New Brunswick (from the sound of the accent) and they asked what I was being offered and how much I would save… I told them the truth (surprise!) and they started finding savings all over the place… until they were about able to match the deal Rogers was offering. The only catch is I had to agree to keep the service for one year. I commented that I have been a customer for close to 25 years so that didn’t seem an onerous condition.

The only catch is I have to do this every year to keep the discounts. Well worth it when I figure I am saving over $420 a year… For the 20 minutes it took to do this I essentially got paid $1260 hr…

40. billc124 says:

I did something similar about a year ago, sadly my deal is almost up but I hope to negotiate a new one. In the end, I ended up with every channel they offer, HD and DVR for 88 dollars a month and internet for 29.99 a month. I just called, asked them what needed to be done to cancel my service at the end of the month and when asked my, explained that I was looking to switch to satellite TV. I really had no intention of doing so, but wanted to see what would happen. I told the customer service rep that if they could beat the deal that satellite was offering then I would remain a Comcast customer. She looked over my services offered a price which I told her was higher then what satellite was charging, she put me on hold for a few minutes and came back with the offer described above, the only choice was if I wanted faster internet for regular price or 10 dollars off the regular monthly price, my goal was to save money so I took the 10 dollars off. I was nice and cordial the entire time as was the CSR I spoke to. I know most people say how much they hate Comcast but they are willing to work with you if you get the right person on the phone. I have not had any issues with my service except for a broken DVR which they replaced with a new one during the one service call I had to schedule. So don’t let anyone tell you that cable TV service is not negotiable, because like most things, it is…

41. Mark 2000 says:

This isn’t much of a secret. I’ve had two Comcast agents TELL me to call them after the lower price runs out and threaten to cancel to get it back. Seems to be company policy. In fact, like unclaimed rebates, the higher price seems to only be there to punish the lazy.

42. Raekwon says:

I just called them about my $100 a month bill saying I could not afford it anymore. The guy absolutely guaranteed me there was nothing he could do to lower my Cable TV from $50 a month for basic cable. He did lower my Internet to $25 a month for 6 months and claimed it was for a higher bandwidth service as well. I’m tempted to just cancel my Cable TV since I never watch it and everything is online anyway a day later.

43. AmataPsyche says:

I used to work for sprint/nextel. If you were to call me and tell me you wanted cheaper so-and-so or you were going to cancel, it would depend on the circumstances. If you were polite and it was due to a legitimate concern (say, coverage, CSR issues, etc) and I could find a good reason to sidestep policy, I would do it. HOWEVER, I got a great deal of people simply calling in to demand credits or discounts. Why the hell should I give you credits when Joe Schmo in MS is calling in every month, and paying his bill on time, and not requesting anything? He deserves something more than you, and I’ve even sent out free phones (WITH NO STRINGS, unlike dealers!) to kind people calling in with legitmate concerns. If you’re just calling in being a credit hound or just because you wanted free stuff, I’d be happy to kick you out the door. This is not sprint/nextel talking, but a highly successful associate who used to work for them. I was good at my job, and I liked helping people. People who did this made me sick and angry. Shame on anyone who tries to do this to a company, you’re going to seriously fuck it up for people who actually deserve it.

44. RobinHamster says:

Eh. I got $60 / month knocked off my RCN bill by locking in for 1 year with the same threat. I said I was thinking about Directv but I can’t even get that installed. Considering I have no other option in my building, I was fine with it. Plus, I got every single channel available along with it.

45. VaclavOdysseus says:

I can’t believe people that don’t want to pay for services. Yeah stuff isn’t cheap. If you want tv service phone service hbo cinemax the movie channel startz yadda yadda yadda, its not like its free for the cable companies to provide those services!! geez. and lets face it electronic equipment doesnt always work, it’s not ALWAYS the cable companies fault. cheaper isnt better its a luxury not a necessity quit bitchin about things you cant afford if you cant afford it dont buy it or subscribe to it, too many people are greedy in this world. if you want the service then pay the price for it. i will say this about comcast they dont outsource they have local service centers and i can always get a hold of someone on the phone 24 hours a day. my vod doesnt always work, i have outages and pixilation sometimes on my tv, but its like everything else stuff just doesnt always work just because its there my power goes out my car breaks i have to buy new movies because there are too many scratches on it…get over yourselves people there are other worries in this world like feeding your family and just plain living. have fun be joyous and quit bitching.

46. arkitect75 says:

I’ve been trying for the last week to get Comcast to cut my rate, to no avail. I’ve had the $99/month triple play and the rate is almost over, so the price is about to jump to @127/month. The “best” they can do is offer me $114/month, by removing the HBO that’s part of my package. I’ve threatened canceling, but nothing works. I tried to drop to only high speed internet (b/c it’s the best option around), but they won’t reduce that rate either. Any ideas?

47. SmBizMan says:

I tried this canceling ploy last month to no avail. they just made my internet horribly slow and now I don’t get the science channels in HD. But at least my bill did drop about $35/mo.

Maybe I will cancel each service separately for a short period and then take advantage of the lower prices promoted…