September Is Christmastime At Target!

Deck the halls, folks! Reader Raphael sends in this photo of a Target in Brooklyn, NY.

A few rows of Halloween, and then, wham! A row of Christmas. Note the Domo Halloween posters.

Halloween? What’s that?

(Photo: Raphael Brion )

Comments

1. Moosehawk says:

Domo-kun! Why doesn’t the target here sell those =(

2. ars_workerbee2 says:

The Domo stuff was all over the holiday section of the Target near me, including $1.50 plushies on clearance stashed away near pool chemicals.

3. chemmy says:

That would explain why, when I went into that Target recently looking for charcoal, the entire seasonal area was being cleared out… I figured they were just clearing out their summer inventory for some fall stuff. I couldn’t buy charcoal because of Christmas.

4. Suttin says:

That count down clock that was posed a couple days ago from Target isnt for display at the store, its on sale…

• cashmerewhore says:

@Suttin:

If I could set that to other awesome dates, like retirement (only 22 years off), getting out of this job (maybe a month?) or graduation, I’d be all over it.

I haven’t noticed decorations at my target, but I haven’t been looking for them yet either. I could use some clearance grill supplies though….

5. jakesprincess says:

I was at Kohl’s Friday evening and all the Halloween stuff was moved to aisle displays while the Christmas stuff was being set out.

I will cop to buying an ornament, though, from Cost Plus, who also had all their holiday stuff out. It is a mini Rollei twin lens camera and I have been wanting one for years, but not at the price I have seen at some places. So when I saw it at Cost Plus I knew I had to make it mine immediately, as they were almost out of them—see, I am not the only ornament crazy out there!

6. UnStatusTheQuo says:

Linens and Things had their Xmas stuff near the front already. I’m not ready for ornaments yet, so it scared me.

7. oghelpme says:

Yesterday @ Target had Back to School Backpacks (30% off clearance), Halloween & Christmas all within arms reach of each other. It was a holiday vortex of sorts. Very odd.

8. yungjerry703 says:

target in my area already put the overnight employees on holiday schedules.

9. DWalk says:

Before you start thinging about Christmas, Christmas gifts and Christmas shopping, watch this:

[www.storyofstuff.com]

10. DawnVivant says:

Yeah, I saw the same thing the other day at the Target here. No snowmen, but they did have all the lights and stuff out. I’m sure the snowmen Christmas trees will be out soon enough. It seems Christmas comes earlier and earlier every year!

11. stevebosco says:

My Target in Frederick, MD already has Valentine’s Day items up. Well, not really, but is it beyond the realm of possibility? Is it?

12. squatchie44 says:

Its about time the Christmas stuff is beginning to be set out, i will be doing most of my shopping for that in two weeks.

13. YeaYuh says:

Went to Lowes this weekend and they had their Christmas displays up.

14. DerangedRoleModel says:

They should be putting up their Halloween displays now…for 2009 :D

15. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Hobby Lobby is now in full Christmas mode with better and more unique Made in China merchandise than you’ll find at Target or Walmart.

Oh… and good luck finding an artificial Christmas tree this year that isn’t pre-lit.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@IfThenElvis: What is the deal with that? Why are all the trees going pre-lit? Are people that lazy? What if the lights break? I’d rather take the time to put the lights on my tree and make sure they work.

Luckily for us, we’re getting a tree from the in-laws. I even started browsing Craig’s List for a Christmas tree, but I thought it was futile since the Christmas tree my parents have is barely standing anymore (we’ve had it for at least 6 years) and if other people’s trees are anything like ours, I’d rather just catch a good sale.

16. akronharry says:

Lowes in Fairlawn Ohio has cleared out the patio furniture area in the Lawn and Garden department and are now are stocking the area with Christmas items.

How “lowe” can you go? :) (I made that up you know…..absolute brilliance!)

17. ChChChacos says:

Target in Dartmouth,MA is doing this as well. They have 2 aisles for Halloween items and the rest of the area (4+ aisles and the back wall) is dedicated to Christmas!!!

18. akronharry says:

Check out garage sales.
    Almost everyone that has a garage sale is getting rid of their Christmas trees. I bought an an actual 50′s-60′s aluminum Christams tree several years ago for two dollars. You should of seen the look of horror my family exhibited when they saw it set up. In addition, I found the rotating color light for the tree last year in working condition and in it’s original box for a dollar! I still set it up every year as a matter of principle.

19. RulesLawyer says:

It’s not a Christmas aisle. It’s just a Halloween aisle that looks like Christmas. Scary, huh?

20. SilleeString says:

What exactly is the big deal with the so-called “Christmas Creep?” It’s NEVER too early to celebrate one of the biggest holidays of the year. Incidentally, I’m just about done decorating for Arbor Day. Only 213 days away!

21. Bryan Price says:

Domo-kun posters? Want

22. ablestmage says:

Oh come on, people. Hobby Lobby starts putting out Christmas merchandise in JUNE. Sepetember is nothing. I’m a former employee of Hobby Lobby (good times) and the reason stuff goes out that soon is that there really is so much to put out that by the time Christmas rolls around, they’re still putting out new items. Target is open after hours and into the night, and generally has a smallish “plan-o-gram” team that sets up aisles with layouts and whatnot, so starting in September is a logistics decision, not a jumping-the-competition game.