Purina Isn't Bothered By Dog Food Infested With Fly Larvae, Maggots

Christina’s two dogs fell ill after eating Purina Beneful infested with maggots and fly larvae. After taking her dogs to the vet, Christina called Purina for an explanation, only to be told: “As soon as our food leaves our factory, it is no longer our responsibility.”

My husband and I found live maggots and larva in a bag of Purina Beneful last week. I bought it at a Petsmart in Kitchener last Sunday, and opened it on Wednesday. I had already fed our two labs two meals of the infested food before realizing there were numerous maggots and fly larva. When I called to speak with Purina about this the response I got as…”as soon as our food leaves our factory, it’s no longer our problem.” …disappointing.

I then brought this up with Petsmart’s main office, who claims it is not their responsibility either.

My husband and I are furious…our dogs have been sick for 4 days now…they have chronic diarrhea and are not themselves.

CTV picked up the story, but Purina didn’t seem interested in talking to them either:

(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. jpdanzig says:

This sounds like one of those dreadful stories where the cable guy says the problem is with your TV, and the TV guy says the problem is with your cable.

Only here some innocent animals were made to suffer, and neither company seems willing to take responsibility.

A disgraceful response on the part of both companies.

I would have thought Purina would have asked Christina for some package numbers, so they could check for infestation on their end.

This is usually the procedure when you call a company to complain about a product.

The fact that Purina didn’t even do this is inconceivable to me. And they expect pet owners to trust them with a response like that?

Ugh…

2. ArgusRun says:

Okay. I admit this is nasty, but they have a bit of a point. I’ve had the same thing happen with wet cat food in pouches. The problem is the foil can be damaaged during shipment or placement on the shelves. Any puncture can allow flies to deposit their eggs. They were not in the product before it was sealed.

In this case it is probably the fault of Petsmart for selling a damged product, not Purina.

3. BeeBoo says:

I find it hard to believe that eating maggots made the dogs sick. Dogs eat all kinds of bugs. They eat frogs. Dogs even eat cat feces.

• christoj879 says:

@BeeBoo: Dogs eat their own feces, for that matter.

More crappy food from China and related stories to come? More at 11…

• ShadowFalls says:

The fact remains this, Purina wasn’t even interested in the possibility that this was their fault. The food could have easily been contaminated before it left the factory.

Only odd part I question, how can a person feed their dog food and not notice little worms in it?

@BeeBoo:

As for getting sick with bugs, you bet they sure can. Bugs can spread diseases just as easily as various other forms of life.

The fact that A) Purina didn’t care enough to even bother checking their food for contamination and B) Petsmart didn’t seem to care it could have sold contaminated food and still may be doing so, is simply sad on its own.

Sure it is possible this food could have been contaminated at their home, but the former two is more likely.

4. catnapped says:

Just have to add this and maybe save someone else the effort:

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

5. Razorgirl says:

I completely agree that it is hard in a case like this to tell where ultimate responsibility may belong. That said, in a climate where many pet owners are still “gun shy” regarding their pet food, it would seem logical to take some steps to reassure a consumer with a legitimate issue that you care about the health of their pets. No need to admit culpability, but a little sympathy and concern goes a very long way to reassuring a consumer and keeping a customer.

Purina and Petsmart… picture yourselves being thwacked on the nose with a rolled up newspaper. ‘Bad companies!’

6. MyPetFly says:

Is Beneful canned or in pouches? If it’s canned, it sounds like an issue straight from the canning plant. Even if it’s not Purina’s fault, they could at least by sympathetic in the way they phrase their responses. Instead, it’s basically a “screw you” answer.

7. Maglet says:

I wonder if Purina or Petsmart bothered to investigate any of the other bags of this food. I’m fairly certain that this is not the ONLY bag of food that is infested. Besides it being really gross, apparently it made the dogs sick. That has to count for something, right? Apparently not to these two companies! I think they should at least be concerned about this issue, even if it isn’t their fault.

Poor pups… :o( I’d be pissed if I had gotten that same response. Shows how much these companies don’t give a damn.

8. 11hawkinst says:

That picture almost made me throw up.

Even if the maggots didn’t make the dogs throw up, it had to be something in the food which is causing them to be sick.

9. Corbin123 says:

“As soon as our food leaves our factory, it is no longer our responsibility.”

LOL not according to tort law!

10. Mr_Human says:

This can’t be right. I can’t believe that this is the official corporate position on when they’re responsibly ends. They simply can’t know from a telephone call whether the infestation came from their plant or not. At the very least there’s business interest in knowing the cause of the probem, even if it turns out not to be their fault. I’d call again. It sounds like the OP got an idiot on the line.

11. scoobydoo says:

All they had to do was say “we are REALLY sorry”, ask for the package numbers, and issue some coupons.

Instead, they are going to be hurt by bad PR on the interwebs.

12. dralter says:

Why would you feed your dog this crap food anyway? They make it look like a healthy dog food. However, look at the ingredients: “Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour….”. Ground corn is a filler! It simply gives your dogs bigger poops. Every notice those corn kernels in your poop. Even we have trouble digesting it fully. Ingredients in your dog food should read more like this: “Chicken, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Oatmeal, Barley, Duck Meal, Potatoes, Carrots, Chicken Fat…, Tomato Pomace (Natural Balance). You want to look for a holistic dog food or food with human grade ingredients. Or even better, raw dog food with ingredients like: “Chicken, Raw Ground Chicken Bone, Turkey, Turkey Liver, Turkey Heart, Apples, Carrots, Butternut Squash….(Nature’s Variety)”

• snoop-blog says:

@dralter: I use purina one and it doesn’t have the ingredients you listed as bad, in fact it has all the shit that you said was good. Main ingredient is chicken (not the by product).

• @snoop-blog: Another ONE owner here. For both my cats and dog. I really don’t know how you would not notice this when you fed it. I do wonder how the maggots ate the food if it was dry. I have never found maggots eating something dry and hard.

@ShadowFalls: From what I have seen of flies on my farm, maggots pop up quickly, and do a good job eating the carcass. I buy my dog’s food in advance, not waiting to run out before I buy. If you have two active dogs, I’m guessing you would do the same. I would say that the possibility of a small rodent getting into the bag at the home, dying, then attracting the maggots is pretty high, since you’re dealing with like a 4-5 day turnaround.

• BiZarRroBALlmeR says:

@dralter: “Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour….”?

I gotta tellya. I can’t believe even the maggots would eat this.

13. EricLecarde says:

As a pet owner (2 cats), I personally inspect their food prior to feeding it to them. So, why is it that they didn’t see this the first time around?

14. omyard says:

How do you feed your pet food that is infested with maggots? Wouldn’t you notice the maggots when you’re putting the food in the dish. It’s not a lot of work to notice something like that.

15. Yurei says:

Sadly, Purina doesn’t give 2 shits about their customers or their pets. One of my own cats got very, very sick by one of their brands of indoor cat formula, so bad that we had to bring him to the vet’s for emergency care and found out his kidneys had shut down. She said the new Purina food we had switched to had caused it, and in her one office alone she had see 4-5 other cats sick this way from this one brand of food and 1 brand of similar Iams food. When confronting purina with it and filing a claim to pay the vet bills, their vets who viewed the vet report claimed it was merely a UTI that almost killed my cat and nthing more, but gave us a consolation payout of $150 as a gesture. The vet bill was ten times this amount. Purina’s food is bad, they know it, and they don’t give a damn about it.

I really, really try to get people to switch to something else not made by purina. they’re a horrible company.

• Parting says:

@Yurei: I tried feeding Iams to my dog. My dog started to stink. I stopped feeding my dog Iams, and the stench disappeared. Imagine how bad is the food, when odor envelopes your dog 24/7.

16. sleze69 says:

Maggots won’t make a dog sick. But perhaps there is more wrong with the food than maggots.

This could have been easily handled by purina/pet smart with an apology and a free bag of food.

Eukenuba FTW!

17. robbrechter says:

This is definitely not a case of blame the poster, because I believe that most people simply are not aware, but no one should be feeding their pets 90% of what is sold at Pet Smart.

In college I had a holistic pet doctor come and talk to my Alt Medicine class and he explained that to help most dogs with serious, chronic illnesses, his first step was to always change their diets. We examined labels on some of the bigger brands (Iams, Science Diet, etc.) and the ingredients they have are scary. For example, Chicken vs. chicken meal. chicken can include random body parts of the chicken (beak, feathers, etc.) while chicken meal is chicken meat. Not only that, but all of that commercial food is loaded with sugars to make it taste good.

Now for a plug: I use Healthy Pet Net’s (Now Trilogy) “Life’s Abundance.” All natural ingredients, does not contains sugars, and the primary ingredients are those necessary to sustain health. My 70 lb dog requires only 2.5 cups a day as opposed to the 3.5-4 cups a day on other brands. And she is far healthier as a result (and matter of fact, she cannot tolerate most commercial brands due to a weak stomach).

It is more expensive, but not in the grand scheme, and taking care of your pet’s health in this manner will ensure that they live longer and have a great quality of life in the later years.

It’s time to skip the McDonald’s/fast food version of dog food.

With that being said, screw Purina. They certainly don’t deserve your business, and I’d say that by switching to Life’s Abundance or another brand, your dogs will thank you.

Note: I have no affiliation w/ HPN outside of just loving their food and feeding my two lovely dogs with it each day.

• mmmsoap says:

Also, why is there a distinction being made between “fly larva” and “maggots”? Maggots is usually used as a general term for those wiggly, disgusting things.

This is absolutely a bummer for the OP; when you buy something that’s spoiled at the grocery store, it’s easy to get your money back with no questions asked. I can’t say I’m entirely surprised, though. I generally like PetSmart. I have a feeling that they would have issue the money back before the dogs got sick. Now if they acknowledge any wrong doing, they’re probably setting themselves up to be responsible for the full vet bills.

@robbrechter: I think you’re mixing up chicken meal, chicken, and chicken-by-product meal. “Chicken meal” is considered lower quality than Chicken, and both are superior to “chicken-by-products” in any form (meal or otherwise) which can contain stomach contents, beaks, bones, etc.

• Not Alvis says:

@mmmsoap:

You beat me to it. Maggots ARE the larvae of flies.

“Maggots is usually used as a general term for those wiggly, disgusting things.”

There’s nothing generic about it. “Maggot” is by definition a Diptera larva.

Did the food contain pork AND pig? Beef AND cow meat?

18. TVarmy says:

Purina should give the store a stern talking to, and possibly threaten to pull distribution. If they can’t trust the store to keep maggots out of the food, why should they ruin their good name there? At least, that’s the scenario they seem to be pushing, that the maggots entered the food after leaving the factory.

19. synergy says:

If animals should eat as close to “human grade” food as possible, I don’t get why some people are against just feeding them scraps.

• PinkBox says:

@synergy: It depends on the scraps! Also, it can make animals picky eaters.

I honestly don’t see why more people don’t opt for premium pet foods. Check the lables for higher quality ingredients. You can feed animals less of the better brands, and it will often end up cheaper.

20. EricLecarde says:

Spices in the food I make would cause my dog to have diahrea… that is when he was alive. The vet told me that they can’t handle our food sometimes.

• e.varden says:

@EricLecarde: @PinkBox:

Ask your vet how much time s/he spent studying nutrition.

Your most likely (honest) answer will be zip. No time. Nada.

Google Dr. Andrew Jones, DVM

===
      For further startlement, ask your family doc the same question: most likely answer — less than a semester, usually an elective subject at that….

21. windycitygirl68 says:

A PETCO warehouse in Joliet, IL was closed for a while this year because of an infestation of birds, rodents and the disgusting things that go with them. There’s no telling what the PetSmart warehouse that the infested food came from looked like.

However, I just gotta know: how can you NOT see maggots hanging off of your dog’s food as you’re putting it in the bowl? Even my half-blind husband would be able to spot that.

That being said, after all the pet food scares we’ve had recently, I would think Purina would be a bit more interested in the complaint than they were.

Christina, please post follow-up!

22. woot says:

I really am surprised there wasn’t a better response from Purina.

I’ve been to a pet food factory. The ingredients arrive in bulk from outside suppliers. Some inspections are done, but that’s not a guarantee that something won’t slip through, or that they don’t have some other issue in their supply chain. They should at least want to know the production codes so they can track if there is a wider problem. An apology, a promise to investigate, and replacement food (plus a free bag or two) would seem the least they could do for the consumer.

The good news is that maggots have an undeserved reputation. They are not a problem to ingest, unless they’ve been feeding on something really toxic or poisonous. In this case, we know exactly what they’ve been eating, which is fine. They get killed by stomach acid and are just a protein source at that point. Maggots, incidentally, are the first living organism licensed by the FDA for prescription use on humans. [en.wikipedia.org]

23. ProfessionalCritic says:

Marion Nestle has a new book called Pet Food Politics. She addresses the lack of regulation in this industry, that pet foods are huge money makers because they use the “waste” parts of animals, i.e. what people in this country don’t eat. It’s pretty gross … not unlike that photo.

24. Parting says:

Excuse-me, but how you didn’t notice larvae? I mean it moves! (

I’ve seen larvae-infested luggage at an airport. First thing you think : ”Why is the coat is moving?” Then you realize why, and quietly freak, and move away!.

25. NightingaleJen says:

That’s outrageous, though I wouldn’t give my dog this garbage. Would a rat eat that?

But I have a happy customer experience story to share with you in a similar vein: Last year, we opened a bag of Swheat Scoop cat litter, dumped it into the kitty box…and there were small beetles in it. Grossed out, we called the pet shop from which we purchased it, and also sent an email to Swheat Scoop; I’ve never had a problem with this litter before, and always considered it a quality product. This was a disappointment (plus we were out whatever it cost at the time).

The pet shop? Nothing. “Sorry, that’s life.” Swheat Scoop? Within 24 hours, we had a letter of apology, an explanation (that unless stored properly by the stores, this litter does sometimes end up with beetles, so it was the store’s fault), and a promise of reimbursement as well as the promise of a call to the store to inform them that they needed to store the litter properly and treat customers more kindly.

Within roughly a week, we received in the mail coupons for not one, but TWO free, full-size bags of Swheat Scoop, and 6 coupons for $1 off bags of the litter. The enclosed letter also stated they’d called the offending pet shop and reviewed them on storage and customer service (!).

Now that is customer service…for something the cat doesn’t even eat.

Purina should be ashamed, particularly with all the pet-death-by-food problems in the past year. Why not at least ask for package numbers so they can identify the bad batch? Also disappointed with PetSmart…they’ve never given us a problem. I hope the two labs recover quickly. :( It always stinks when a pet is sick.

26. KhaiJB says:

I’m so glad I feed my dogs raw ground beef, chicken carcasses, a vegatable blend (lettuce, carrots etc), raw eggs, liver, lamb and pork… I know what they are eating… Raw Diet all the way!

27. Julia789 says:

Anywhere along the way, from the manufacturer, to the warehouse, to the pet store, a very, very small rip or tear, or tiny puncture can happen by accident, and a fly can get in and lay eggs. It’s unfortunate, but there is no way to tell where it happened. It even could happen when the pet owner carried the bag from the car to the garage, for example (not that it’s what happened here, but just a possibility in some cases.)

Maggots only take a few days to form/hatch. Not blaming, just pointing out that this happens. Most bags are made of more than one layer of material glued together, to try and guard against tearing, but there is only so much they can do without putting all the bags in Tyvek or something – which would probably be incredibly expensive and passed on to consumers.

The tears don’t happen often, and when they do they are usually noticed and taken off shelves. Sometimes, however, one will slip by.

If it was me, I’d expect the pet store to replace the food as both a courtesy and a condition of their satisfaction guarantee.

28. LogicalOne says:

The OP should file a complaint with the FDA. It is in their jurisdiction. Believe it or not, the FDA is better at protecting the pet food supply than the human food supply. (Well, I guess we all kinda know that…)

Purina fails on two counts:

a) They failed to record a customer complaint. That’s an even bigger no-no with the FDA than tainted food.

b) They failed to properly investigate and take corrective action regarding the complaint.

29. KoW says:

Purina are jerkoffs for not trying to be helpful, but this woman is an idiot if she didn’t notice her dog’s food was writhing. I’m very, very rarely the type to place blame on the victim, but in this instance… she’s a moron. I’ve fed dogs since I was a wee child and would have opened that bag, stopped, and freaked the fuck out.

30. JiminyChristmas says:

While I agree that the OP got appalling treatment, I also agree with those suggesting a high-quality all natural or organic dog food.

The thing people have to keep in mind about dog food is the dog is eating it every day for their entire life. Therefore, even small improvements in the quality of the food can make a big difference in the overall health and lifespan of dog.

• Not Alvis says:

@JiminyChristmas:

“even small improvements in the quality of the food can make a big difference in the overall health and lifespan of dog”

I wonder how the extra money spent buying a “premium” dog food could be put to use feeding starving HUMANS.

The overall health and lifespan of a dog are just that – a dog’s.

• @Clold: You do realize more people are obese in the world than are hungry. I think we are feeding ourselves just fine.

• JiminyChristmas says:

@Clold: Give me a break. Which non-essentials have you given up to feed the world’s starving people?

If you have a cell phone and FIOS what you spend on premium telecom services is about $100/month more than the extra $20/month I pay to buy natural rather than crap dog food. By your logic, I think that makes you about 5X unholier than I am.

• Not Alvis says:

@JiminyChristmas:

FiOS + cell = $64/mo actually.

And there’s nothing wrong with spending your money on yourself, but if you have more money than you know what to do with, why would you feed animals when you could be feeding humans?

• Moonz0r says:

@Clold:
            Owning and caring for a pet is good for your own health.
            According to the CDC -
            “Pets can decrease your:
            Blood pressure
            Cholesterol levels
            Triglyceride levels
            Feelings of loneliness

Pets can increase your:
            Opportunities for exercise and outdoor activities
            Opportunities for socialization

Many groups support the health benefits of pet ownership.”

Therefore, money spent on pets is ultimately money spent on yourself.

31. Ajh says:

We buy our large bags of pet food..and repackage them in airtight plastic containers for easy access. I never really thought about it, but we’d notice if there were maggots that way.

• cashmerewhore says:

@Ajh:

Food storage can be an issue. When we stored food in the original paper packaging in the garage, insects & rodents would get into it depending on the season. I use airtight containers indoors for both the dogs & cats food.

I feed both my dogs beneful. Not because I think it’s healthy, but they seem to like it. I originally fed our corgi Nutro but when we took him to our in-laws he went crazy for the beneful they fed their dogs.

32. Hamtronix says:

people who own pets are maniacs so any company presented with such an issue should be very kind and earn the customer.

33. Onouris says:

Of course it’s their problem. Their reputation isn’t their problem either?

34. countrydan says:

Please read this: I worked in the world’s biggest hog slaughtering plant. Every day, dozens of trucks filled with rotten hogs and other animals, bloated and stinking entered the plant. The rotten animals were dumped into a huge vat, cooked and made into a product that was sold to most major dog and cat food companies. I stopped feeding my Pekingese any of these products. She was two years old. My Vet was appaled, he said if I contuned to feed her table food, she would not live another two years and became very angry. Heidi Lived to be 17, and stilled loved fried chicken and asparagus. Don”t believe all this crap on tv…they just want your money …and believe me, your dog does not like being treated like a prisoner and being fed the same stinking food every day. He appears to love it becasue it does not satisfy his appetite like real food. Don’t belive for a second that dried pellets in a bag are treating your animal well. REal meat and vegetables are a proper diet and your animal will love you for it.

• e.varden says:

@countrydan:

Amen for the reality of the value of (mostly) raw human foods for our dog!

Ask your vet to honestly say how much nutritional training s/he got at vet school.

The answer is most likely to be zip. None.

===
      Say while you’re at it, ask your family doc the same question. The answer will most often be less than half a semester, and often as an elective.

Shocking? – Google Dr. Andrew Jones, DVM. http://www.veterinarysecrets revealed.com is his book….

35. gc3160thtuk says you got your humor in my sarcasm and you say you got your sarcasm in my humor says:

I love my dog like a human and if feeding her better food will help her live longer than I am happy for that, very happy. I do my best to help the world but I can’t pay for all poor people to eat. That being said, that food looked like Chinese rice for some reason. LOL.

36. fisherstudios says:

As a general rule I don’t feed my dogs anything that I would not be willing to eat myself.

37. trillium says:

Plenty of natural/organic pet foods on the market and also raw food meal plans (that I know of) for dogs. I am a cat owner myself and I find this disturbing because the only thing my two will eat is made by Purina.

38. wellfleet says:

I feed my dog better grade food than I eat myself I’m pretty sure. He’s fairly picky but we switch between a Eukanuba wild venison, Castor & Pollux organic, and Pet Promise. Pet Promise is especially groovy because they support sustainable farming, and do not purchase from factory farms. These are the only brands that do not give my dog horrible (and I mean grade-A foul) gas. Some of the ingredients in cheap food are truly revolting.

39. Snaptastic says:

I remember when I adopted my dog several years ago and I did the search for food he would like. I tried Purina Beneful and my dog liked it–but on the second bag I fed him a meal and he got sick. Upon checking the bag, it was crawling with maggots. I got pretty much the same response and the OP.

Since then, my dog has eaten Nutro and/or Bil Jac, and I ALWAYS smell and look at the food in the bag before feeding him.

40. Ninja Tree says:

poor dogs, and purina’s pretty bad with their response it’s their liability in my opinion they made the food!

41. she-ray says:

Maggots can be about the size of a grain of rice. Some varieties of Beneful contain rice. Combine that with feeding a pet first thing in the morning as you hurry to get ready for work, and I can see how they missed it.

This probably is happening because Purina’s liability is limited when it comes to pets. If I’d found maggots in my mac and cheese I think it’d be a whole different story. Scary when you think of different areas in which laws are being introduced to limit liability.

That said, I’m interested in the wording of the actual letter. What we have is a summary by a dissatisfied customer. It’s easy to forget or gloss over being given the scripted BS apology if the rest of the phone call is dissatisfactory.

42. rainbowsandkittens says:

@KhaiJB

Props to you! While I don’t feed my Great Dane a 100% raw diet, we’ve home-cooked his meals since he was a new puppy in the midst of the overwhelming pet food crisis, at a time when we didn’t know what to trust.

One of our early vets was very upset–she demanded we switch back to dry kibble. We now see a vet with over 20 years of experience, and she always complements our dog’s weight, teeth, and appearance.

Many people don’t have the time, but when we got our dog we made a commitment to give him the best life possible. So once a month, we bake chicken thighs and boil brown rice with sweet potatoes, and then load all of those ingredients up into 60 quart-sized ziplock bags pre-filled with frozen veggies. Then everything goes out to the big freezer in the garage. He gets a bag for breakfast and a bag for dinner–and it’s good enough that I’d eat it myself. All in all, his diet is about 1/3 meat, 1/3 grain and 1/3 vegetables, and he is beautiful and satisfied.

We had a family emergency about a year ago and had to travel short notice, so we put him on high quality dry food for just a few days. He was SUCH A CRACK HEAD from all of he sugars and preservatives. His bad behavior was because of the bad food.

• JiminyChristmas says:

@rainbowsandkittens: When I first got my Dalmatian I took her to the vet nearest my house, not knowing that it was a ‘holistic’ vet. I never went for any of the, what I consider, outlandish alternative healing but I did find they were very knowledgeable about animal nutrition.

When I got my dog in 1996 all-natural dog food wasn’t as common as it is now, but the vet convinced me to go with it. My Dal is now almost 14 years old, still in great condition, and has never had any chronic health issues. Of course, I can’t prove that a good diet had anything to do with it, but how could it not?

• HogwartsAlum says:

@rainbowsandkittens:

LOL your dog eats better than I do!!!

43. Psychosocial says:

Never ever feed your dog Purina dog food. Trust me on this.

44. OmicroN says:

This is friggin’ ridiculous. First of all, blaming the OP is not going to fix the problem. It was NOT their fault. I can’t believe that time and time again, people blame the OP. Get off it already.

CLEARLY both Purina and PetSmart are WRONG for telling the consumer that it’s not their problem. Do these companies really not care for our pets? Perhaps we should remove power from them, and stop patronizing them?

At bare minimum, OP, I think an EECB is in order, to BOTH companies. This is not the way to treat a customer, and certainly not a way to handle a complaint about one’s products.

I lost a very dear Shetland Sheepdog in October of last year to kidney failure. It was devastating. One never really realizes how important a pet is to one’s life until he’s gone. I have a strong belief that it was because of the gluten incident, although I did NOT feed him the food that was on the recall list.

Nonetheless, both of these companies should be held responsible for their respective rolls. Give ‘em hell.

45. twonewfs says:

I’m with Dralter and Nightengale Jen and others: Beneful is some of the worst stuff out there. I used to be one of those obnoxious dog demo people (actually, I was the shy nice demo person) but nothing made me madder and sadder than seeing someone buy Beneful! If you buy quality food from a smaller, super-premium company, you are much more likely to get a personal response from someone who cares about dogs and their company’s image.
    And I agree with OmicroN that a few emails are in order!

46. Jamesgreene says:

Having worked in both the receiving part of a petstore and for a veterinarian for a few years, I have to say it is more likely that it happened after the product left the factory.

In the case of tins, many pet companies hold the tins for a certain period (average 2 weeks) to make sure the cans don’t explode from bacterial contamination, so that is usually covered. After that it is shipped to either a supplier or directly to a store along with other things like dry food. With many large pet stores stuff goes off shelf from expiry and is stored in the back with good food, or it is left on the shelf too long. It was not uncommon working at a pet store to get back many different brands of food with maggots. It was our fault every time too, as our employees were not attentive.

For those of you saying Purinas food made your pets sick, consider this. Buying any pet store level food, you are gambling with crystals (especially in cats) and other health issues. It is very common for cats to die of renal issues. If you’re paying less for food, don’t expect perfect quality and animal health. Alley cat and other cat foods aren’t the formula fior health.

Purina is not my favorite for pet store food they’re pretty bad but not as bad as Iams or regular science diet. Their veterinary line is a completely different level of quality as are most other veterinary diets and higher grade foods. Its a shame that petsmart didn’t just deal with it they way they should have.

I am even more surprised Purina didn’t do anything about it. She should call her vet and ask if they can get into contact with an actual rep for you so that she may express her concerns to a person instead of someone on a phone. They are one of the most reasonable companies to deal with in my experience.

Keep in mind I am not a Veterinarian nor am I a nutritionist for animals. I know what I know from my experience. So it would be best to take it with a grain of salt.

47. boxdorfer says:

I find this story hard to believe….I suggest those who agree that Purina does not care should call their toll free 800 number. I am confident you will find the opposite. Purina has been around since 1894 built on customer service at
    General Questions
    Our Pet Advisors are available to answer general questions at 1-800-778-7462 (1-800-7PURINA)
    (Mon. – Fri., 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. CT).
    I found this number at http://www.purina.com.

Come on folks — let’s be fair. Many people make a living working for Purina….get the facts.

48. Bobg says:

I don’t know if the maggots were in the food when it left the factory or if the food made the dogs sick but the response from the manufacturer was totally outrageous and uncaring. I can only guess from the response that Purinas uncaring attitude is reflected in all of their products.

49. Ninjanice says:

I bet it was a problem with the handling at Petsmart. I had a very unpleasant issue with my local Petsmart because they cut open a box of foil cat food pouches, incidentally cutting the pouches in the process. It was very gross and not handled well by Petsmart (they gave me paper towel and told me that I could wipe the affected pouches that were covered with maggot-infested cat food). Either way, purina didn’t have to be jerky. Thy could have at least said “they were taking it seriously”…

50. Jenng says:

We feed my dog Natural Choice and she fell ill last fall and my vet suggested calling the company to inquire if they had gotten any other calls. I had the best experience with them, they apologized profusely about my dog being ill and said they hadn’t had any other calls but sent me a prepaid postage envelope to send them samples of the food to be tested and followed up with a phone call and a letter after the food was tested. It was a great customer exp. unfortunately my dog ended up being allergic to an ingredient in their food and we had to switch brands to Natural Balance but I will always recommend Natural Choice based on the customer care we received.

51. xkevin108x says:

In the late 80s I had a can of Pedigree explode under the cabinet. I called the 1-800 number on the back of the can while I was in the middle of cleaning up rancid dog food so I could give the customer service rep the gory details first hand. She explained that sometimes the cans can develop a pin hole if dented which lets air in causing the food to spoil and build up pressure inside the can. She took down other information including my name and address and in a couple of weeks I had over $40 in coupons.