85% Of Gas Stations In Nashville, TN Are Without Gas Right Now

You know you’ve got a national infrastructure to be proud of when one of the country’s largest cities is pretty much out of gas. From the Tennessean:

East Tennessee and Middle Tennessee both primarily receive fuel supplies through spurs of the Colonial pipeline, which carries refined gasoline from the Texas Gulf Coast to the Northeast. [Hurricane] Ike damaged and knocked out power to many of those refineries, cutting the amount of gasoline fed into the pipeline.

The shortage should be remedied by next week, the paper reports:

The state is scheduled to receive 1.42 million barrels of gasoline over the next week, roughly matching its typical demand of 1.44 million barrels, Heidt said.

“Gas prices remain higher in Middle Tennessee” [The Tennessean] (Thanks to Jessica!)
(Photo: Pat Hawks)

Comments

1. kittenfoo says:

my son is visiting a friend up in nashville tomorrow, and the friend told him to make sure his tank was full enough, because there isn’t any gas up there. this friend works at a fast food place within sight of a mall and some gas stations and says there is pretty much gridlock around the stations. don’t know if it’s traffic out looking for gas, or if they’re allowed to buy a little at a time and clogging up traffic that way.

2. ALilHouseCat says:

i live about 45 minutes north of nashville and of the 6 or 7 gas stations out here only 4 have gas. They only have premium which is hovering around $4.79, but they have gas. you can only get 20.00 at a time. makes me glad i work from home. 1 tank can last my 2 or 3 weeks.

3. skitzogreg says:

This is awful. Right now as you are all reading this, me and my friends cannot find a gas station. Some friends of mine had plans to go out to a club tonight, and we are instead trying to find out how we are going to get to work. This sucks.

4. humphrmi says:

Next time, build your city closer to a different gas pipeline. Losers.

• MayorBee says:

@humphrmi: They should have built their city on rock and roll, not on that country crap.

/Marconi plays the mamba

• Zwitterion says:

@humphrmi:
      You know, that’s a real assholish thing to say… what if it was you out of gas?

Geez, dude, didn’t your mom ever tell you that if you didnt have nothing nice to say, keep your mouth shut?

But seriously, this is an extreme situation. I’m in Dallas, no shortages here… and were closer to where Ike hit.

• TACP says:

@humphrmi: Actually, Nashville was planning on getting a second pipeline a couple of years back. However, several people didn’t want it on their property, and it was killed. Right now, the only one going into Nashville is from Houston, but it is operating normally. The 85% out of gas figure is from this morning, when the rumor started. Most stations in my area have gas now, but there are lines.

• tinycorkscrew says:

@TACP: I just drove home from a party about twenty minutes away from my house, and only one station along the way had gas. There was a line that stretched several blocks to get in.

5. Adisharr says:

You don’t hear Ethiopians complaining about having no gas.

6. Fredex says:

Too bad refineries can’t be built where they are needed. Too bad pipelines can’t be built to bring oil to those refineries.

Why can’t refineries and pipelines be built? Hmmm?

• FrankReality says:

@Fredex:

Bingo! Our government (won’t say which party since this site is supposed to be apolitical) only allowed offshore drilling in the western part of the gulf – and that’s where the refineries are.

So we have much of our drilling and refining confined to a geographical area subject to hurricanes. Furthermore, those areas also have ports that receive oil coming from elsewhere.

Wouldn’t it make some sense to have oil drilling and refining operations spread across multiple geographic areas so that weather events confined to one geographic area don’t mess up supply on a large scale?

Last, had the gas stations in Nashville raised their prices to discourage demand, they would have been pilloried for gouging. They were placed in a no win situation.

• Oface says:

@FrankReality: some of them DID raise their prices and were accused of gouging. I live in Murfreesboro (25 miles east of Nashville) and saw it. 2 . gas stations advertising gas for $4.09. NOt even a block away another had gas for $3.73.

7. adoreadaire says:

Ya, I had to drive around for a while and finally found an Exxon that had nothing but premium, but no lines and no cap on how much gas you can buy…this was today at 12pm. I drove by at 2pm and they were out of gas.

I had filled up before the hurricane, but was running on fumes by the time I even found out that gas stations were running out of gas… guess I should start watching the local news in the morning, huh?

I didn’t even realize that the reason gas stations were taking down their price signs was because they didn’t have gas – I thought the few I see on the way to work were getting repaired or something, I know better now though!

8. Firesoul1 says:

so much for off-shore oil supply.
    re-useable energy for the victory!

9. gman863 says:

This “shortage” sounds like a clusterf*ck caused by the government and the oil companies not thinking ahead.

I live in the Southwest suburbs of Houston. Based on the 24/7 live local news coverage of Ike’s aftermath, there has been very little (if any) damage discovered at most of the refineries in Houston and Beaumont. Many of the larger refineries have brought in huge generators (Marathon, for example, has 100 40Kw units at its local refinery) to begin restarting operations and it was reported most refineries will be runing at or near full production by the end of next week.

The only gas shortages curently in Houston are in areas or neighborhoods where most electricity hasn’t been restored yet. In the Stafford, Sugar Land and Katy areas, most stations are open with little or no waiting. Prices are going up, though. Before Ike, regular was around $3.40; now it’s as high as $3.80.

Major cities in Texas each have acres of huge fuel storage tanks. Although normally considered an eyesore, they are worth their weight in gold when a disaster hits. If the government and oil companies would create more storage facilities like this away from the coast, there would be a lot less trouble if (scratch that – WHEN) another major hurricane hits the Gulf Coast.

P.S. If you’re gonna reply with whining over gas being available in Houston, I’ll gladly trade you my full tank in exchange for the $3500 windstorm insurance deductable I have to sh*t to cover replacing my roof and property fence.

• balthisar says:

@gman863: Damn! My mortgage holder requires me to maintain only a $500 deductible. Luckily I’d be able to pay the $3500, which I’d gladly do for cheaper premiums, but I don’t have that choice.

When my car insurance company told me I couldn’t get more than a $550 deductible, I dropped collision coverage. My car’s only worth about $4000. The SUV that I don’t drive has a nice, new lien, so I’m required to keep collision on it. At least the new, multicar discount is more than the collision coverage, so it’s kind of free.

• gman863 says:

@balthisar:

After Katrina and Rita, every major insurer along costal areas has gone to a higher deductable for windstorm damage, usually equal to 2% of the structural replacement cost.

Having been through 3 major hurricanes when I lived in Mobile, I deliberately bought my current house based on its land locked location in Fort Bend County hoping to avoid windstorm deductables and hurricane damage.

More pain is in store at policy renewal time for Texans: In addition to raising rates based on their actual payouts to policyholders in the wake of Ike, all insurers in Texas have to help cover costs of repairs in the Texas Windstorm Isurance Pool, the insurer of last resort for costal Texas property (this will be in the Billions since TWIP insures almost every structure in Galveston County).

Personally, I think it sucks that I’ll be paying out the ass in future insurance premiums to cover the repairs on millionaires’ vacation beach homes

10. garbagehead says:

Quick! If you have any money invested in Nashville SELL SELL SELL!!!
    Of course they’re saying that barrels are on their way: if they can’t sell oil they’ll certainly sell you barrels of hope.
    mmm,Tangy

11. Ayanami says:

Someone should mention the term “redundancy” to our government. In what is supposedly the best country in the world this should not happen, ever.

12. skitzogreg says:

If you read the article closely, it talks about how it will replenish 1.42 million barrels of the normal demand of 1.44. That “normal demand” considers that people actually *have* some gas in their tanks. So, absorb the fact that everyone is pretty much out of gas and add in less of the normal demand of gas for the week. What does this mean? A continued shortage.

I’m in a worse mood now because I typed this and looked up and saw a sick animal on Animal Planet. Why do they show that stuff?

13. VRWC says:

Perhaps this wouldn’t be a problem if the tree-huggers wouldn’t have protested nuclear power plants and railed against building anything petroleum-related for past 30 years. They’re all luddites and want the rest of the world to live the same way — maybe it’s time to stop listening to these clowns and tell them what to do with their carbon credits?

14. Smashville says:

What sucks about this is that they didn’t really tell us how bad it was until today…and of course, I’m on my normal nonpanic gas cycle…well, I’m almost on E and no stations around me have gas because people are…well…panicking…

Luckily I live in Cool Springs where I can walk pretty much anywhere…

15. Trai_Dep says:

On the bright side, oversized, nonfunctioning auto behemoths parked in front yards isn’t unheard of in thar parts. Guess them folks saying check out a Prius before buying that 2nd SUV on credit might have had the right idea…

• ZekeSulastin says:

@Trai_Dep: … until all of a sudden the Prius owners run dry at the same time as the SUVs due to the Prius’ smaller tanks.

Learning how to drive less or store spare gas protects you a lot more in these events than driving a smaller car – my friend’s Jeep actually has a longer range on average than my little car, as its gas tank is twice the size of mine.

• Trai_Dep says:

@ZekeSulastin: Except that (in a friend’s case, for example) a Prius owner realized that she went from going to the gas station every couple of days to every week-and-a-half. And the car she had before was a high MPG Honda. So yeah, hybrids trump large fuel tanks.
        Although, the mental picture of some Nashville person loading up their 50gal Hummer tank, after waiting 4 hrs in line then enjoying the privilege of paying multiple hundreds of dollars a couple times a week is a pretty sweet mental picture, so tip of the hat to you. :)

Anyone want to place bets that somewhere, by the time this is over, guns will be drawn and local news stations will have a feeding frenzy?

16. TACP says:

It’s not that there’s a gas shortage, as much as there’s a panic that’s causing a shortage. It happened the same way last week, right after Ike. Prices started going up, and a couple stations ran out, so people panicked and filled up all their vehicles, and filled up extra gas cans.

Today, the rumor came back stronger than before, even though the price is dropping. People were saying crap like “All gas stations are closing at 5 PM”, etc. What’s weird is that it’s only in the Nashville area, thanks to the local rumors. Memphis, Atlanta, et al, are not affected. People are stupid…

• CaliforniaCajun says:

@TACP: Prices started going up, and a couple stations ran out

This is probably because company refineries tank up company stores first; company stores have contracts to buy fuel from the company’s refineries. Any capacity left over is sold to independents like Rotten Robbie. Now that supply is tight, the third-party stations likely aren’t getting the excess capacity they’re used to.

• SunnyLea says:

@CaliforniaCajun: “I suspect, Exxon, Shell, and Chevron stations in the south aren’t running out of gas – but I could be wrong.”

You are. Well maybe not about “the south” but about the Nashville-specific incident being discussed here.

All gas stations in my area (and there are a lot) were out on Friday, including the 3 Shell stations, one Exxon, and 2 BPs.

Luckily (I think this NOW), I bought premium gas from Shell on Wednesday, grumbling the whole time, because everyone was out of regular in a several mile radius and I was on empty.

Then they all ran out of premium too.

• This was definitely fueled (get it?fueled? HA!) by media/buyer frenzy. I work in Nashville and everyone last friday was talking about how high the prices went up in the morning, and by mid afternoon the gas stations were bumper to bumper with people topping off more than they usually would.

Add hurricane + demand that had been artificially inflated + repeat of same inflation a week later= no gas. Anywhere. At any pumps. And from what I hear there aren’t any refills on the way until next week.

If that’s true it should make for one interesting weekend.

• holdenfunk says:

@IamNotToddDavis: yeah, i too dwell in nashville and love how the local media kept ‘reporting’ the ‘shortage’ instead of telling everyone to calm the ‘f**k’ down that there’s plenty of gas if we would all just be cool like a bunch of little cowboy fonzies.

i’m going back to gawker and to pretending to be from new york…this is all just too embarrassing.

17. CaliforniaCajun says:

I was in Huntsville, AL (near Nashville) this week, and gas there is eighty cents higher than in the San Francisco Bay area! Regular gas was $4.35-$4.50.

Through relatives in the south, I’m hearing some horror stories about refinery damage – especially in Baton Rouge. Exxon Mobil is keeping the reduced capacity pretty quiet, but several refineries were beat up and the producing rigs and terminals in the gulf were closed for two weeks.

18. sickofthis says:

I’m in Madison (a suburb north of Nashville), and not a single station around here has gas. I still have half a tank and plan to keep my truck parked this weekend, but I gotta drive to a town about 90 miles each way in the middle of the week. I hope I can fill up before then. I’ve avoided the whole panick buying thing so far, but I’m starting to panick now

19. SexualElf says:

Friday, September 19, 2008

Yeah, burn that gasoline.

Sooo we’re in the national news now for this retarded gas ‘crisis.’
    Nashville, you’re a ding-dong. Seriously. You are now officially the Biggest
    Bananahead.

You know what the crisis is? The fact that we are being represented as
    complete retards. Seriously gang, wtf. If you have half a tank, or hell, for
    the sake of my argument, just say a quarter tank, is it REALLY fucking
    necessary that you engage in this silliness (madness?) that is the
    as-of-today trend of local motorists wasting MORE gas sitting in line for
    completely overrated and overpriced gas than what they would have had in
    their tanks had they just stayed at home and had a hot steaming cup of
    common sense?

I’m actually fucking embarrassed to live in this city right now. Coming home
    from work, we passed at least three multiple-block-long lines of cars
    waiting for this magical unicorn-horn gas. Not only that, but as I just
    discussed with my roommate, the crowd of people shoving to get onto a bus in
    the morning is already completely bare of any kind of common decency or
    manners. Add two-ton vehicles to that mess, and a whole buttload of East
    Nashville ignorance, and what do you have? A clusterfuck!

So really, people. I implore you: quit being such alarmists. Are you driving
    to London tomorrow? No. Are you driving to the beach tomorrow? No. Are you
    even fucking driving to Lebanon tomorrow? I’m guessing…no. You know what
    that means? You’ll be fine, without adding to this ridiculousness. If you
    need to get somewhere in town and you’re concerned about gas, here’s a fun
    idea – grab a fucking bus. I do it every day – trust me, it’s not that bad.
    It’s actually kinda fun. Especially if you’ve had a few :)

Put that in your tank and burn it.

Heart,

Sexual Elf!

20. Ubermunch says:

Considering that most of the major cities along the east coast, right up to NYC, receive a huge portion of their fuel through the Colonial Pipeline…. this isn’t an Ike problem or a pipeline problem. If it was then all the cites along the pipeline would be equally hit.

Nashville has seemingly not created proper supply chain infrastructure to handle predictable disruptions in gasoline supplies (via pipeline). IMHO, they need to be storing a LOT more gas so they can weather this kind of problem better.

I feel for the folks who have to waste time paying top dollar for premium. Best to purchase a 20 gallon storage tank (pour some stabilizer in it for the long haul) just for these kind of issues.

Also… I hope all oil execs burn in an oily hell. Scumbags.

21. tysontune says:

I drove home Thrusday afternoon from the Cool Springs area (south of town) to Green Hills (uptown, as far as uptown is the opposite of downtown). I was running on fumes the whole way and passing stations as they bagged the pumps. I made it home and parked, and then around 10 PM ventured out to the Exxon at the end of my block. I waited 30 mintues and filled up. On the flip side, a good friend has had his car stuck at a station since Thursday afternoon (dead out of gas) and spent the day Friday with a friend looking for gas. By Friday evening, his friend was out of gas too.

Nashville is a driving city, and most people who work in town live outside. I’m lucky to be in an urban area where the next station to get gas was only a block away. For now, my main car (big benz with a hungry V8) is parked, and I’ll be driving the Mini Cooper for awhile. I guess the upside is that people will rethink getting a gas guzler.

This kind of problem affects more than just driving. I went out to a couple of places tonight and they were dead. Little gas means little business for restruants and bars as well. Even the ever present cabs were in short supply. Nashville is a large city, but has aging public transport. I expect this to hit a lot of small businesses this week.

22. Oface says:

Well der. We were told by the news last weekend when Ike was chugging towards Houston to “fill up!!! HURRRY” and then the next day..”ooh wait. Just do gas like you normally do”. *sigh* Stoopid news.

Point…NO gas station can handle EVERYONE in the city filling up at once. Its just a part of life. Sit at home or take public transit (for once) and by the end of the weekend, we’ll have gas again.

23. A few years ago there was a damaged pipeline (I dunno where) and the Phoenix area had trouble getting the gas in. People would be getting in fist fights, all panicked and whatnot, but then when I’d go out at 3 in the morning, I could find gas with pretty much no problem….

Well, the first day of it was weird, I remember coming from somewhere in the wee hours of the morning, and every gas station had yellow tape around the pumps. The most worrisome thing that first day was not being able to find any information about it. There was nothing on TV, online, or on the radio about it, I got home and was telling my buddy “hey there’s no gas anywhere”. He thought I was nuts, “Can’t be!” – “It is!” I told him…

• @alphafemale: heh, now that I’m thinking about it, the gas prices got up to the unheard of $2.50 range, with some locations charging up to $4.00. It wasn’t long after that when we started to see gas prices going up everywhere, and they kept going up and up and up. It’s occured to me a few times that the Phoenix debacle seems like it could have been some sort of test marketing project, to see how much people would be willing to pay for gas. Yep, a bunch of people were obviously so fired-up excited to pay 2.50 a gallon that they fought each other for the opportunity.

I can see the evil marketing people:

“Great news… we can charge them 200% more before they get distressed, and even then they only take it out on each other by getting in fights!”

“Awesome! Operation Grab-Your-Ankles-Get-Ready-For-Some-Gas is going nationwide!

24. I_Elohel says:

I live in south Nashville, no gas to be had anywhere. Drove to Murfreesboro tonight (about half an hour out of town on I-24 Eastbound out of Nashville) and the gas stations on the main roads had no gas but many of the stations on smaller roads had plenty.

It’s all just panic, IMHO. Now that everyone has a full tank stations will have gas in no time.

25. FREAKHEAD says:

“Nashville pumps dry after panic about rumor of no gas”

[www.cnn.com]

26. 108Reliant says:

@humphri How much more shortsighted or ignorant can you be? I would like you to move from your city wherever it is, just because I don’t like you living there!!

27. kimdog says:

My sister in Nashville called me about this last nights. She was just parking her car for the weekend until things calmed down. Of course, you have to remember something about this area of the country…

In the 10 years I lived there, any time snow was predicted in ANY amount (like 1 inch) people would freak the fuck out and there would huge lines in the grocery stores, and there would be no milk or bread left. So this is an unfortunate combination of a legitimate shortage compounded by the irrational panic gene that flourishes in the Nash Vegas area.

28. micahd says:

I would like to point out to everyone who looks down on my 96′ escort from they big-ol SUVs that I still have gas and will probably be ok all weekend.

Maybe now nashvillians will realize that high gas prices and struggling economies mean we might need to adjust our lifestyles a little bit.

29. 12-Inch Idongivafuck Sandwich says:

I paid $4.29 in Atlanta yesterday, and it was even higher heading up towards Chattanooga. However, heading into Knoxville, gas is down to about $3.33.

It’s silly to think that gas in Knoxville, TN is under the $4 mark, but Nashville is out of gas.

30. cookmefud says:

yeah, gas around here (tuscaloosa, alabama) has been spotty too. a lot of stations especially on the outskirts of town have been running out of gas for the last week or so, a lot that do have gas tend to only have regular.

31. 67alecto says:

“Call it a self-fulfilling prophecy: An estimated three-fourths of gas stations in the Nashville, Tennessee, area ran dry Friday, victim of an apparent rumor that the city was running out of gas.”

[www.cnn.com]

32. n0ia says:

I live in the northwest are of Georgia, about 10 minutes from Chattanooga where I work.

It pisses me off to no end that people either start the rumors of “predicted” gas shortages and then go around spreading the rumor to more people.

Here is a principle that can be applied to several aspects of life: FACT CHECKING

There were so many rumors flying around Chattanooga about pipelines BUSTING and ridiculous stuff like that, and everyone bought into it. One of my managers spoke with our district manager in Atlanta on one of the days that rumors were flying around and he hadn’t heard a thing about it.

I haven’t seen any gas stations in my area that are still out of gas, though they were last week. The highest gas price I saw was $4.09 for the regular. Prices are slowly coming down. I saw some yesterday that was $3.89.

33. frankthefink says:

What a lot of you may not understand is that Nashville has no sidewalks, and no mass transit of any kind. Nashville’s bus system has a very low rate of ridership and runs a very short range and limited number of routes. You might get to a suburb with it, but you can do it once a day at 5:30AM and then again at 6:00PM. And almost nobody actually lives in Nashville, they commute.
    So this is probably a very very big deal.
    I just moved from Nashville to the Seattle area, and I was originally shocked at the fuel price difference. At least now for a few weeks I get to feel like I have cheaper fuel. Then I can go right back to feeling gouged on every single expense in my life, since they all went up 50%.

• acklenheights says:

@frankthefink:

Ummm, the Nashville city core has plenty of sidewalks, better mass transit than most cities of its size and density, and plenty of downtown dwellers. Bus ridership is at its highest rate ever and continues to grow. The Music City Star commuter train is also enjoying high ridership. Are you sure you know what you’re talking about?

Sure, if you go the outer regions of Davidson county, at the edge city, then sidewalks taper off, but it must have been a LONG time since you left Nashville, in which case you should at least do a little research before you say such ridiculous things. I live in Nashville, along with over half a million other residents, and I haven’t driven a car in two weeks. I walk or bike to work every day. Why don’t you come on back down and see your old city, eh?

• josh-nashville says:

@acklenheights: Where exactly do you live in Nashville that you are seeing all this glorious mass transit, downtown dwellers, and people walking or biking to work?

Fact 1: Downtown residents in Nashville: approximately 4,000 residents in 2,700 units as of the most recent data from the Nashville Downtown Partnership

Fact 2: The Music City Star commuter train had 938 trips on its best single day and hopes to get to 1000 trips a day per a Tennessean article from a couple months ago (that’s less than 500 people a day riding round-trip on a good day)

I too live in Nashville with over half a million other residents and the few buses I see outside the downtown area of the city are mostly empty and I rarely see people walking or biking to work outside of the Vandy/West End area or the downtown core.

• tevetorbes says:

@frankthefink:

I don’t know what area of Nashville you live in, but I can assure you that there are plenty of sidewalks all around Nashville.

The sad part is, most people prefer to drive their SUVs than to make use of them. Oh well, good thing I gassed up my scooter last week- it should last until this is all over!

• tinycorkscrew says:

@tevetorbes: I moved to south Nashville from Chicago a couple of years ago, and I was immediately struck by the relative lack of sidewalks.

My office is in Green Hills. I could walk to work, but there are no sidewalks on large stretches of Harding Place and Franklin Road.

• TACP says:

@frankthefink: Actually, there’s a commuter train now, which has been selling out, especially during holidays. Not to mention bus ridership is up.

34. Ninjanice says:

I live in Michigan and when the news of Ike hitting came out, a lot of gas stations raised their prices. What I find interesting is how people are complaining about gas being up to $3.80 in some areas. That’s less than wewere paying in Michigan before Ike. Gas prices the day before Ike hit were around $3.90 here. Then when Ike hit, gas jumped to as much as $5 in rural areas. This is before we even knew if the refineries were damaged and it was for gas that was already purchased by the stations. One woman that I work with sent out an email to go get gas because it was already up to almost $5 in some areas. Then the prices jumped up to $4.19 in the more urban areas, but just for a day. They were back down to $3.80 by the next day. I think the reason is because people in the city where I live started walking to places and car pooling instead of panicking and filling up there tanks. I had a little more faith in my neighbors when I saw this. I’m glad everyone thought before panicking because how much is having a full tank of gas going to help if people don’t change their driving habits?

35. losiek says:

Not exactly news. In ATL we have been seeing the same since last week. In fact, prices in ATL are still higher than in Nashville. [66.70.86.64]

36. TangDrinker says:

Charlotte, NC went through this, too. Most stations now have gas today, but it was a full week of gas stations not having gas. Prices are around $4 to $4.20 for regular. Some stations are still asking that you purchase no more than 10 gals a time.

37. AllenK says:

My lawnmower is full and I’m within driving distance of work!

No shortages here yet though,but prices sure aren’t going down much.

Anyone else think Big Oil is enjoying having so many people by the balls right now?

38. dieman says:

Heh, note to many claiming they have cheap deductables — look over your policy again, most providers have gone to a 1% rule for wind damage. 1% of your property value. Mr $3500 likely has a $350k home, so yeah, not crying.

• gman863 says:

@dieman:

Nooooo…it’s a 2% deductable based on replacement construction costs.

Since you think I have a $350,000 crib, I’ll put on the new roof, put up the new fence and sell it to you for $140K. You’ll have a nice home in a middle class suburb and I’ll make $40K+ flipping a house I’ve owned for under two years.

Have your Realtor call me and we’ll get the paperwork started.

39. billbobbins says:

I filled up two 5-gallon gas cans as well as the tanks in my two vehicles before Ike hit and I live in Dallas where we barely got any rain. Why didn’t you prepare? The news said gas would probably go to $5/gallon.

So here are my tips for the naive:
    1. Move out of New Orleans. Another hurricane is bound to hit in the next few years. Rather than waste your money rebuilding, build somewhere taht a hurricane is not guaranteed to wipe you out?

2. Oh your beach house is oh so pretty in Galveston. Well rather than burdoning me and my insurance rates while you enjoy your pretty view and making me cover the cost of you rebuilding, don’t build a house so close to the ocean, fools.

• Preppy6917 says:

Off topic, but I’m not sure I’d call Nashville one of the largest cities in the country.

@billbobbins: So you don’t think that anyone should live on the coast? How about faults? Should we all live in the prairies of the interior, or the bland suburban sprawl of the DFW area? No thanks….I’ll take New Orleans with its character any day.

• billbobbins says:

@Preppy6917: Just don’t come running to DFW when you need some help, like you did for Ike and Katrina. And don’t bring your crime with you. I was witness to a purse-snatching close to one of the refugee areas right after Katrina, performed by two katrina “refugees”. No handouts for refugees. If you plan on living in an area susceptible to devastation, put aside a fund for hotels and gas when you ned to evacuate rather than looking for handouts from the Red Cross and cities smart enough not to build below sea level.

40. zimick says:

I think the 85% number is higher now – that number was from yesterday. I live in Nashville and after 5:00pm yesterday, there was a run on the remaining supply because people were panicking even more.

My wife and I are both on empty because we did not join in the hysteria a couple days ago, thinking it would get better – but, now we are having to just wait it out.

41. slowth says:

On Off topic, but I’m sure I’d call Nashville the 25th largest city in the country.

[en.wikipedia.org]

42. KnoxKnick says:

I’m in Knoxville and we had this problem last week with gas prices going to as much as 4.99/gal for regular if you could find it. Then there were the one or two stations that upped their prices to $5.65/gal.

So, Nashville welcome to the gas gouging party… you’re a week late.

43. TACP says:

I just drove by several stations, and it looks like the lines are gone. There are still a few stations out of gas, however.

• skitzogreg says:

@TACP:

TACP, while I don’t doubt that you have found stations that do have gas with little-to-no lines, our coworkers have been driving around in a frenzy in order to find a station. The only downside is that we are burning more than we can afford. Nashville is still out of gas.

44. BillsBurg says:

Woah, this is all because of bad info. From what I’ve read recently, there was a RUMOR of gas shortages in Nashville which caused a run on gas. In reality, there was no shortage and if purchasers had just bought as normal this wouldn’t be news.

45. Avengelist says:

1. Feet.
    2. Bicycle.
    3. Carpool.

Plus, I’ll keep my gov’t regulation of gas prices, thanks.

• Luckie says:

@Avengelist: Have you ever been to Nashville? Is much of anything in the greater Nashville area in walking or biking distance of much of anything else?

I’m all for more transit-oriented growth, but until we have it… people still have to get to work, still have to get to grocery store to feed themselves and those dependent on them. It’s no joke when you’re out of formula for your baby and you’re on E. Ooops, maybe you should have panicked with everyone else and gotten some gas while they had it.

46. ajessica says:

I’m in Cookeville, about an hour and a half east of Nashville and most places have gas now. It’s funny though, the difference in prices at stations on the main road through town. Near I-40 it’s about $4.00 for a gallon but on the opposite end of town, a gallon is only $3.40.

47. lrbreckenripple says:

By the way, I got up at like 6 am this morning and started calling gas sations. FOund one by 7 and drove their and got gas, no problem. I was on fumes on the way there so I was hoping it was good but the owner said on the phone (think persioan accent) “Come now, my friend.” sos’n I did.

48. lrbreckenripple says:

I spelled lots of words horribly wrong. Sorry I am tired.

49. skipjack says:

In franklin, south of nashville, there was one station with gas this morning. I had to drive to fairview in order to find a place with gas and no caps on how much. I’ve been waiting and waiting for people to stop panicking and not fill up every five minutes because we DON’T HAVE GAS ON NOES!

I finally got the idiot light this morning and could wait no longer if I wanted to work this week. On my way home, i did see a few more gas stations with gas and apparently a barge came in either last night or today with a million barrels of regular.

this was all caused by rumors and people making runs on gas stations and filling up every vehicle they had. Sad really.

50. AustinS says:

Ya, I’m from Nashville but currently I am a student at UTK. We had the great pleasure of $4.99 gas and being the highest in the country last week. We even have the Pilot travel center HQ and everyone is blaming them for gouging us. Personally I think it’s ridiculous as I know how it works and they couldn’t do anything about it. One my teachers is a risk manager at pilot, I interviewed with a guy that does all the futures contracts, and I’m in the FMA which had Jimmy Haslam come in and speak with us last semester.

Personally, I blame it on people panicking. It’s the same way with snow, if anyone even thinks it’s going to snow the grocery stores get raided, it’s ridiculous. I filled up today for the first time since before Gustav and paid $3.67 a gallon. I guess that’s the good thing about living in a downtown area and being able to walk EVERYWHERE.

51. zrikz says:

To add on to this, I live in Asheville, NC a few hours away and for the past week or so and roughly 9 out of 10 stations are 100% empty, or they receive enough gas for roughly 9am to 12pm service. One station seems to be receiving constant supply (shell) and after going out into town 3 times today it has had a line of over 20 cars every single time I’ve gone by. Last week they were empty as well and I had to drive to over 7 stations to find gas. Current price is hovering at around 4.19

52. TACP says:

I just filled up my wife’s car last night, no problem. There wasn’t even a line. They only had 87 octane, however.

53. Rectilinear Propagation says:

Yeah, there are still gas stations in Georgia that are out of gas due to the panic. I haven’t heard of a lot of them being out though.

54. barty says:

The local stations are finally starting to get a regular supply of regular gas.

I think most of the problem is you still have people riding around with half a tank or more of gas buying it up every time they pass a station that has some gas. When Ike rolled in, I actually HAD to buy gas, I was down to about 1/3rd of a tank. I’d like to know how many of these morons that were waiting in line had 3/4 of a tank or more and were, “topping off, just in case”, kind of like the bozos that raid the grocery stores for milk and bread each time the weatherman threatens snow here.

If I recall from Katrina, distributors usually have about a 10-14 day buffer in the supply chain. The panics that the media creates by painting the picture of doom and gloom of gas shortages needs to be addressed.

55. econobiker says:

Nashville does tend to freak out plus the fact that there are so many pickups and SUV’s with monster size fuel capacities. One person I know slept in his van until 3:00am Saturday morning to buy gas.

We did see a jump in prices north of Nashville just before Ike hit. Prices went from $3.54 (or $3.539999) to $3.76 overnight and then to $3.9999 within the afternoon and then to $4.259999 before they ran out.

I cracked up that when 1 of the 3 stations ran out of regular at $3.99 people were trolling it and then going to buy regular at $4.26 at the other two rather than buying premium at $4.24 at the first station- which is what I did.

I also had a back up plan of two pickups we keep filled up which I could have siphoned for the fuel efficient econoboxes the wife and I drive daily…