If you’re planning to fly with Alitalia, better call ahead before leaving for the airport. “Up to tomorrow (Sunday) we have guaranteed flights,” said special administrator Augusto Fantozzi, “but not on Monday because no-one will supply us with kerosene.” [AFP]

Comments

1. Jesse Pink says:

Is that a translation error of some sort or do they use camp stoves to cook their in-flight meals?

2. PeterLeppik says:

Kerosene = Jet fuel

3. chiieddy says:

Shit. I’ve paid $1300 pp through Alitalia vacations for a trip to Italy next Spring. At least I also bought the insurance.

• daub815 says:

@chiieddy: You also have to worry about possible employee strikes. Alitalia can’t seem to catch a break.

• MFfan310 says:

@chiieddy: You might want to read the fine print on the insurance to see if it covers “airline failure”…

Anyway, my dad flew to Italy recently. He flew Northwest/KLM, knowing to avoid strike-prone Alitalia for one reason: a friend of ours got caught in an Alitalia strike in 2006 that took her three days to get home.

At the same time, here’s the story: The European Union has had it with Italy’s government bailouts of Alitalia, as has the new Italian government and Alitalia management. AirOne (Italy’s other major airline) and Air France/KLM (who was going to provide additional funding) were going to help save Alitalia and right-size/modernize the fleet… but Alitalia’s unions don’t want any realistic rescue plan. They just want another bailout. And that wasn’t going to happen… hence the reason why Alitalia is about to collapse a la the Sabena/Swissair failures of 2001/02.

(I’ve tracked this story… I’m also an airline fan.)

4. pixiegirl1 says:

What if they just tell their customers to bring X amount of kerosene when they come to the airport??? I can just see it now TSA agents will have a field day “sir the airline told me to bring it I swear don’t tase me bro don’t tase me”.

5. PDX909 says:

So if you bring your own AVgas you’ll get a fuel discount instead of a surcharge

6. gc3160thtuk says you got your humor in my sarcasm and you say you got your sarcasm in my humor says:

wth do they use kerosene for? urmmmm I’ve used it in a heater but I’m sure that is not what they are using it for. I hope not maybe.

7. kc2idf says:

By kerosene, they mean jet fuel. It’s not quite correct to call it kerosene, though most of the technical parameters are the same. The main difference is the quality controls put in place, much like the difference between avgas and the gas you get at the corner. The reasons for the difference should be pretty clear.

Anyway, point is, they can’t fuel the planes.

8. Bruce Bayliss says:

“Anyway, point is, they can’t fuel the planes.”

Which is no big surprise, given that they’ve been living off handouts for decades, couldn’t organise a pi$$up in a brewery and are burning €1m a day.

Turn off the life support.

9. Bruce Bayliss says:

And the paucity of comments on this thread proves again that the majority of Americans have zero interest (or knowledge) about anything that happens outside their borders.
    Or even mentally transferring the scenario of government bailouts of failing industries to their own microcosm. Tax breaks for GM and Ford? No similarity? Hello…?

If the topic had had ANYTHING to do with an US airline, the queue to chip in about how “I ordered tea and they gave me coffee, I’ll ever fly Delta again” and similar brainless diatribes would be out the door and around the corner.

Rant mode off

10. RedwoodFlyer says:

Maybe this means I won’t have to hear the MCO airport tram’s gross mis-pronunciation of Alitalia (a-lot-ia) much longer?

11. Ben Popken says:

I’m willing to spot them, I have some leftover kerosene from a camping trip.