Why I Quit Staples Easy Tech

Sick of seeing customers screwed over and billed for unnecessary repairs by undertrained technicians, a Staples tech writes in to tell the incident that made him quit. See this picture? This is the floor model computer where he was told to copy all of a customer’s hard drive data as part of their diagnostic process, then he had to leave the area and leave all the data up on the screen for any customer to see or snag with a thumb drive. The full story, inside…

A customer brought his desktop tower computer in for service, Microsoft Windows XP Home, will not post boot and rolls at start up at the XP GUI screen. The head technician without having run any diagnostics determines “it’s a virus that infected the hard drive and caused it to fail”. The instructions I received were as follows. Do not diagnose the issue, just remove the hard drive from the tower and connect it to a USB to PATA adapter, then take the 3.5 inch internal drive and adapter over to a floor display model, and connect it as we do not have a service computer. Transfer all the files and data from My Documents to the desktop, and “clean” the customers hard drive up. Now that the drive is powered and sitting in a static filled environment, on top of a metal display rack on a carpeted base for all to see, I was instructed to complete the next step.

Now that the customers documents are left on a floor model laptop for all to see, I am forced to leave the area and go to another part of the store and then reinstall the hard drive back into the case, and run the staples diagnostic utility, leaving this persons personal information for all to copy to a thumb drive. Having now altered the properties of the drive, and having changed administrator rights and privileges the data and drive comes back corrupt in the Staples antiquated diagnostic program.

The customer is then contacted and told that the 3 year old machine’s hard drive is dead, and that it’s not under warranty, and we have a replacement drive and can repair the computer while it’s apart and since it was a “good and expensive machine” it’s worth repairing. Now having left the customer with no option and not properly informing them about what to do the customer is really left with no choice but to repair it seeing as it is in pieces and we have the only copy of their data and school is starting to begin. The Easy Tech manager wrings up the bill, 1 charge service entry, 1 charge diagnostic fee, 1 hard drive service charge, 1 back up and restore charge, 1 format and restore, 1 copy of windows totaling around $480.00 if not more as I did not see the final receipt, which is the cost of a brand new Acer laptop that far surpasses the antiquated desktop.

After hearing what the head tech did to the customer and having put me in a position that compromised my integrity, I quit and told the customer all about it, and now I am airing it out for all to see and hear.

Apparently, when you push the Easy Button in front of a Staples Easy Tech, it activates one of those hinged arms with a white glove and it pulls cash from your wallet.

Comments

1. FuryofFive says:

i left staples easy tech as well after like 3 1/2 months… i wanted to do computer work, not sell things. whenever i got a chance to do Computer related tasks they would want me2 help people

2. weakdome says:

Always get a second opinion…
    cars,
    doctors,
    computer techs,
    If you can’t fix it yourself, or don’t have the slightest idea where to start, you could at least be the smart consumer and do your homework first. One good google search (in this case, use a friend’s computer since yours is dead) will get you farther, and you won’t be wasting $500 on needless “repairs”.

Sorry you had to do your detail in Staples. Hope you find a more reputable company to do support for.

• @weakdome: I just have to ask this question to everyone…it’s not really directed specifically to you.

If the people that can repair computers well and competently all leave the places that the average consumer goes to get their computers serviced, how are those places going to get any better?

While I realize that there are plenty of corporate rules and policies that are designed to gouge the consumer and make them even more money, the people that we need in these places (Easy Tech, Geek Squad, FireDog, etc) leave before affecting change. Many people out there don’t have a friend or family member that knows computers well enough to keep them away from the douche-rockets scamming them in the big box chains…so what are they to do?

I shop at these retailers. I’ve taken my computer to Geek Squad once and they told me the hard drive was hosed after about 45sec, and after I shopped for a new one…planning on doing the actual work myself…they changed their mind and told me it was the CMOS battery: $3. I wish I knew that I could walk in and get the same level of service getting my computer fixed as I do when I buy a computer…but with everyone bailing without attempting to affect change, that’s not going to happen.

…just a thought.

• stacye says:

@FatalisticDread: If you’re only making $8-$13 bucks an hour, whats the point?

That’s like saying, “You make low quality burgers at McDonalds. Why don’t you fight to make the beef patties bigger?”

Stop taking your computers to these stores. Go to a local repair shop. Look in the yellow pages. Network with some of your friends; I’m sure they know someone who may know someone who can help you out.

• Scatter says:

@stacye:

While I’m not saying that all local Mom & Pop computer stores are unethical it doesn’t mean that they are either.

Something that I always ask my customers is “If you have your computer repaired and something by chance DOES go wrong who would you trust to take care of you more, Staples, a global chain with a name and reputation or Jimmy Joe Valentine, the local guy that runs the store on the corner downtown Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays”?

Personally I’d rather go to the chain with the reputation for customer service over the unknown guy that’s been there for two years if he’s lucky.

• Ninja Tree says:

@weakdome: weakdome not everyone can get on the net when there one and only computer is pooched.

• mmmsoap says:

@MrEvil: That’s exactly what you should do, just like car shops don’t try to save the rusted out bolts holding your engine together. They cut them off in 20 seconds or less and move on, replacing them when they’re done. Most people can’t/won’t reformat on their own because they don’t own the hardware to back up their files, etc. It’s far quicker and more efficient (and you’re sure to actually get all the crap off) to do a clean install.

3. winstonthorne says:

Local computer repair shops are plentiful and historically won’t rip you off.

4. CMU_Bueller says:

They made him pay for another copy of Windows?

5. SuffolkHouse says:

Gee, that was easy!

6. stang says:

Easy Button = White Gloved, no lube, fisting up the pooper.

7. mnk007 says:

I’ve always hated store technicians and this is why. I know what they are doing, I am not stupid. I’ve had Best Buy diagnose my computer once and then I had another technician look at it and write up a report that said Best Buy was wrong. Needless to say I got my money back for their bogus diagnostics. I always fix computers by myself… save money and Google things when you have a problem.

8. SkokieGuy says:

Bravo to the OP for having the integrity (and the resources) to quit.

How many people are locked into jobs without the financial ability or support to move on and are forced to perform tasks or give advice that they are fully aware is (choose all that apply): wrong / unethical / stupid / ignore common sense / are not cost effective for the business?

• nicemarmot617 says:

@SkokieGuy: Many, many people. Especially in this economy.

• Etoiles says:

@SkokieGuy: I had a job where I was required to be unethical — I wanted to quit but owed them money (for my training — bunch of bastards) if I did. They fired me four months in and, much to my surprise (since I was pretty much destitute), I said, “Okay, bye,” and walked out. I was ecstatic. And I got a newer, better job two weeks later.

I really, really sympathize with people who get stuck, because it’s toxic to the soul and ruins the rest of your life along with.

9. sleze69 says:

Computer repair companies that survive on word of mouth and don’t advertise are almost always a safe bet…until they get bought out by a larger company and service is sacrificed for profit.

10. mnk007 says:

I too was once told they were going to charge me for Windows too. I was completely outraged at this seeing as I already have multiple copies!

11. timmus says:

What the heck… a USB to IDE converter? I had no idea such a thing existed.

• BoomerFive says:

@timmus: Yeah, I have one. The one pictured is actually us to SATA/IDE and will work for laptop hard drives as well. One of those things you hardly ever need, but comes in EXTREMELY handy when you do need it.

• @timmus:

IDE/SATA to USB adapters are a tech’s (possibly best) friend. I actually have 3 of them (1 in my car, 2 in my “go” bag). It’s a shame companies force employees to do dishonest work like this (spending 3+ hours repairing an obsolete PC when a current-gen computer under warranty would cost as much/less than the repair itself would)

• no.no.notorious says:

@timmus: i think everything has a usb adapter…even for YOUR BRAIN

either way, kudos to the op. i can’t help but think about all the old people who have been ripped off because they just don’t know anything about computers, and are at the mercy of whatever a staples employee tells them.

• midwestkel says:

@timmus: They have converters for anything computer.

• coren says:

@timmus: Well that’s the same idea behind an external HD enclosure really.

• howie_in_az says:

@coren: How, exactly, was this 480 bucks? Ok, even if you assume jacked up prices for Windows and an HD, that’s still 300 tops. How is it that you can be paying someone like 15 bucks an hour (I doubt that’s the pay but whatever) and then charging 60 for the work that the exact same person does? What, a 45/hr finders fee? F’ing retarded.

You’ve never heard of ‘recruiters’? They do the exact same thing. The saddest part is that more and more companies are relying on recruiters, shying away from having someone accept resumes from the public at large.

• Robbery aside, why did they just not remove the floor model from its “security bar” to at least keep the customers HDD & data safe? I have heard of improvising but those pictures are just criminal.

@timmus:
      Like those posted before me, I have quite a few. They are such useful tools. I use them the most for when I do data rescues for customers or need to check the occasional P/SATA device quickly.

• Keen314 says:

@timmus: It’s basically what’s in external hard drives. There’s a regular internal drive in the box with one of these usb thingamajiggers.

12. dianabanana says:

It’s not just Staples. Most computer repair places would much rather just replace the problem hardware than actually fix it simply because it’s easier and saves more time that way. He should be so lucky to actually save whatever is on the harddrive. Usually they either 1) reformat or 2) replace it with a whole new harddrive with nothing on it.

• SarcasticDwarf says:

@dianabanana: And rightly so. If you are billing by the hour it is usually not worth it to spend 3+ hours trying to get all the adware/spyware/viruses off a system when you can format and install in one.

13. stang says:

Easy Button = Screwing over the customer.

14. BoomerFive says:

Will not post boot and rolls at the gui? If it won’t post, how is it getting to the gui?

Also, how does copying the My Documents folder “alter the properties” of the drive? Not trying to insult/blame the op here, just not sure what he means.

15. Burgandy says:

This is why I always make friends with at least one IT person at work. If I can’t fix it, ask them who they would take it to or if they would like some extra $ off the clock. Some will take your $, some will send to you a reputable place.

• AlexTheSane says:

@Burgandy: At least you offer some kind of compensation. At the company I work for, everyone thinks because I support their office workstations that they are entitled to free support for their home systems. On a weekly basis someone shows up with a personal laptop complaining that they or their dumb kids installed some spyware on it and we should fix it.

• Burgandy says:

@AlexTheSane: My IT guys always love me, I am always bringing in stuff. Homemade cookies, copies of movies before they hit the theaters (you should have seen the crowd in the IT room when I brought in Revenge of the Sith a month before it hit theaters) homegrown veggies, breakfast casseroles. That and I never call unless a)I am locked out of the system or b) I have tried everything I know and give them a rundown of the steps I have taken. Saves everyone alot of time.

• BeastMD says:

@Burgandy:

Yikes, steal much?

@Everyone else

The biggest issue I have is a tech is being so honest that I sometimes push customers away as I frequently tell people, repairing this thing is really not worth it as removing thousands of pieces of spyware can be time consuming. Usually they need help moving data though which puts some cash in my pocket.

• Starfury says:

@AlexTheSane: I sometimes get requests to fix computers from people when they find out I do helpdesk work. I don’t work for free EVER. Just because I work with them all day doesn’t mean I want to fix yours on my limited free time. My rates are fair and I’ve never had a system come back after I’d fixed it..unless the owner broke it.

16. admiral_stabbin says:

I can see that the particular Staples location the OP refers to is definitely working on earning the “Easy” part of their service name. I hate seeing people get ripped off by anyone…let alone a service industry.

Kudos to the OP for having the chutzpah to follow the more difficult (but ethically sound) path.

17. bravo369 says:

I think for computer problems you might be better off going to a mom and pop place instead of a large chain. The large chains have a time crunch and probably have many customers so they might not go that extra mile to really diagnose the problem or fix it. I also can’t believe places actually charge for and keep pc’s for hours/days just to install memory. it takes longer to open the case than to plug memory in.

18. MyPetFly says:

Ring, not wring. (Okay, start the tomato flinging.)

But good for the OP. Thankfully I can do my own computer work, so I don’t have to trust these places.

19. My main problem with this is that they state they charged him for a second copy of windows. considering he was buying a new HDD along with it, I hope they sold him an OEM copy rather than a retail one. Shoddy tech work, and pretty crappy salesmanship too.

• BoomerFive says:

@valarmorghulis: “For the record, to qualify for an OEM copy it must be purchased (i.e. on the same reciept) with either a HDD, or a processor and motherboard.”

• zentex says:

@BoomerFive: Wrong, you can buy a .25 cent power pigtail and get an oem copy of windows. It just needs to be purchased with “hardware”, doesnt matter what.

Not True. MS has a list of “acceptable” hardware that qualifies for an OEM purchase. HDD, CPU, etc are on the list. Search for it, you’ll find it.

20. Shadowman615 says:

He charged for a new copy of Windows? The original license certainly permits re-installing on the same system, even on a new HD. Even if the old activation key didn’t work on the new drive, you can call MS and get a new one.

But selling him a new copy really just sounds like piling on to me…

• Benny Gesserit says:

@Shadowman615: Their logic probably went something like this:
      - customer didn’t know enough to boot from the laser-etched DVD and try to repair/reinstall themselves so
      - they weren’t likely to say “Wait, I’ve got the original DVD & key sticker” so
      - charge them for a new Windows and cross your fingers, boys.

This is truly sad – if they customer still had the DVD & code, they could have likely fixed the problem themselves (or got the 12yr old next door to do it.)

21. Shadowman615 says:

Bah, ninja’d

22. axiomatic says:

I would also assume that Staples broke some marketing rules with HP by using the demo laptop for tech work. Not to classy Staples. I hope you get seriously smacked down by the BBB and HP.

23. LeoSolaris says:

Since it is so fashionable… I wonder if there is a way to blame the OP for this…

Dang it, you should have quit on the first day! Think of how many lives or computers you have ruined by not taking action immediately! Geesh!

Ok, fashionable rant over.

Congrats for standing up for your beliefs. If more people did that, or simple had actual morals or compassion, this world would be a much more sane place.

You might want to file something with the BBB about it.

24. RobertW.TX says:

They lost me at “we do not have a service computer.” There is just no excuse for anyone to attempt to sell services that they don’t have the proper equipment to perform. If one of my Techs (I am an IT admin) were to hook a customer’s computer up to just any random computer we had sitting around they would not last the day. Who knows what the bloatware on that laptop could have done to the customer’s data.

One comment I hate is, “$480.00 .. cost of a brand new Acer laptop”. People don’t buy sub $500 computers they won’t last you 2 years.

• Corporate_guy says:

What is a service entry charge? Seems bogus as it has nothing to do with any services performed. And a backup and restore is the same thing as format and restore. Unless staples is really suggesting they offer a service where they charge you to backup your data and restore it to the same machine while making no changes whatsoever. The charge for a new copy of windows is a total scam since they completely ignored your valid license and forced you to buy a new copy since they now had full control of your data that they wiped out and caused physical damage to the hard drive by handling it like crap.
      If I knew someone who was ripped off like this, I would immediately help them take this to a court.
      What a great racket staples runs. Double/triple charge for a single service, convince people to repurchase windows despite already owning a copy, and run hard drive diagnostics after you toss the drive around and fry it with static.

• Grive says:

@RobertW.TX: Regarding the computer cost. It’s a value comparison.

A $480 laptop had better performance than the dead one, so purchasing it would have been a better option over the repairs.

Everyone can say “you really should spend $1500+ on a new laptop that will serve you better for longer” and be right, but sometimes you don’t have the cash or aren’t willing to pay that much for a replacement, if your current option is still enough for your needs. If you fall into this category, and you’re $480 down anyway, a $500 computer starts making a lot of sense.

25. MrEvil says:

I know alot of you folks might think it sounds dumb, but if a computer’s so badly messed up with adware and trojans I’ll just go grab the recovery media and reformat the thing. I charge strictly by the hour and the customer finds it much cheaper to pay me for an hour and a half doing a backup and reinstall of Windows rather than paying me for 3 or four hours trying to exorcise the demons. I also try to eliminate any hardware issues FIRST since they’re usually pretty easy to pin down.

• mavrc says:

@MrEvil: Why would that sound dumb? Most of the time it’s quicker and easier, and with particularly aggressive adware, it’s hard to be 100% sure it’s actually gone. In fact, when I was doing corporate IT, we had a rule: if it takes longer than 30 minutes, reimage.

The only problem you run into when doing that is users that have no clue where they store data or what things they need to back up before you nuke it all. That gets really frustrating.

(I got out of consumer support some years back. Be thankful you don’t deal with server admins who don’t do backups and don’t know where their data is – now that’s really scary.)

26. gaming09 says:

I was a staples tech as well as a member of best buys geek squad, and any company that charges 60$ to install RAM should not be trusted. At staples i was the ONLY certified tech in my area, Most of the time to protect peoples privacy i would break the staples rules and backup ppls data to a laptop that i took off the floor and placed in the back under lock and key, Often i was asked by the managers if i found anything “interesting” (porn) id say with truth “i did not look nor am i going to” Even if i had to do a full backup restore of windows load drivers take a full days work id make sure the person was not charged more than 80-100$ because it only took an hour-2 hours of my time and my side work i would do thats about what i would charge for it. Staples is immoral and money hungry, id urge ppl not to bring there machines to a corporate repair place.

Best buy was even worse, there managers would go through every file on every machine and “thumb drive it” I had reported to the GM multiple times and what did i find out, The “good files” the gm got a copy of. When they charged an older woman almost 600 $ for a machine that she spent 400$ not a month prior I had enough, i told the woman it was over priced and to go to another location and to tell everyone that she knows not to return here. She took my advice and thanked me, I followed it up by a letter to the corporate office, Security proof of the indecent acts and immorality of the staff, And my letter of resignation. I have heard nothing back from it in over 2 years. Private tech/shops are much better much more moral quality but always get a second opinion

27. Lithium542 says:

I’m absolutely appalled. No boot in safe mode, no attempt at last know good config, each requiring a single keystroke. Throw the laptop on screen saver with a password, Even without a screen saver, i.e, if he didn’t have privileges, he still could’ve locked the machine. I give him credit for being honest.

28. Oh and I like how somebody had the forethought to blur out the UPC codes in the last picture :P

29. Pandrogas says:

I was just thinking of writing about Staples Easytech the other day too…

I was a Staples tech for about a year. I actually started when the program was just being restarted as Easy Mobile Tech. From the beginning, it was pretty uphill, but from what I can tell, each store manages their service areas differently.

In my store, we had a service area, computer, and mooched off internet from next door. I barely ever had to use the display computers for backups, though I did a couple times after hours. It’s not uncommon for display machines to be used for operations that cannot be completed otherwise. Seriously, the equipment and training for EasyTech is laughable at best.

Display machines are formatted before going out the door though, so at least that helps. Otherwise, getting a manager to take a laptop out of a security bar is a pain. It’s a pain in the keister just getting the laptops in those security bars to begin with let alone replacing them constantly.

I think the biggest issue here isn’t neccesarily the business practices, though they do suck and EasyTech was created to sell stuff. Different places run things differently, so while the pricing is universal, the stack of charges may not be.

The issue here is how freaking cheap Staples is with the EasyTech program. They aren’t up to date, you have access to electricity only, space is limited, the free toolset sucks, the training DVD is the equivalent of a computer repair for dummies book, and internet access has to be improvised because the corporate access is over-monitored and locked down.

Congrats on the tech for leaving.

30. E-Tech says:

I think the guy got fired, then he probably went nuts because he can’t find a job and decided to go nuts with staples.

31. Scatter says:

It’s amazing that one person doesn’t follow procedure and suddenly this is perceived as the way Staples does things as a whole.

The facts are that every Staples store has a company issues diagnostic PC that they’re supposed to use to do work like this on. This PC is either kept in tech center/kiosk or in a back room if they haven’t had a kiosk installed yet.

I suppose that it’s possible that their diagnostic PC could have broke but even if this was the case there’s absolutely no excuse for this associate to not have taken this demo PC off the floor and brought it it into their back room to perform this service.

As a Staples Easy tech for almost seven years now this comes across to me as an associate who took no responsibility of their own and is obviously just pissed at the company.

Unfortunately there are associates like this in every company but they most definitely don’t represent the company as a whole.

• admiral_stabbin says:

@Scatter: Each Staples store gets *one* computer for their tech. services folks?
      I don’t know how many associates are employed as Easy Tech’s in each store, but, that sounds like the entry-level associates are being setup to fail by being woefully ill-equipped.

Do the Easy Tech associates have the key necessary to untether floor model demo systems from their security devices? If no, does the manager of the Easy Tech department?

If the OP is right, he more than took ample responsibility. Quitting his job and contacting the abused customer to inform them of the abuse they received sounds pretty responsible (and downright heroic) to me.

• katiat325 says:

@admiral_stabbin: usually managers at a store have the keys/codes to do so. they’ll give them out to the tech guys.
        Also, why do some people think that the floor models are just demos or something temporary and not a full piece of equipment? The floor models are just the products the store receives, and if new, they’ll just open up a, lets say laptop, and put it on the floor. And they won’t sell it till it’s discontinued just to clear out their inventory.

• Scatter says:

@admiral_stabbin:

Yes, each store only gets *one* diagnostic PC.

How many diagnostic PCs do you think a store needs?

Understand that these PCs are primarily used to copy backups onto, download drivers and research things. There really isn’t a need for more than one. While I’m transferring data from onto it for one job I can be running a system restore or replacing a system board on another PC.

To answer your question, yes, most sales associates either have or have access to the key to unlock a floor model.

I stand by my assumption that this associate was most likely just pissed at the company or his co-workers and purposely botched this job. There’s really no other excuse for him to disregard as many policies as he did.

• Pandrogas says:

@Scatter: I don’t know which Staples you work at, but in my experience, only managers and leads have access to keys to unlock security devices.

• Adam Brandt says:

@Pandrogas: As a EasyTech at my Staples store, I have access to all the keys and codes. No, I am not a lead or anything of the sort, I’ve only been a tech there for about 2 months now.
            As far as what happened in the article, that is not the way most stores operate, and is frankly frowned upon by corporate.
            My store managers would fire the guy without second thought for doing that…and if they didn’t, my District Manager would. Wonder what store # this guy was from…obviously not 623.

• katiat325 says:

@Scatter: That’s true, not every store is alike. But working retail at a corporate store like staples, I also know that it will take corporate a long time to actually send out the big equipment to a store. They’ll send the promo materials and training info right away, but for the actual equipmment, it takes a while.

But I’m happy that I’m dating an IT guy, he fixed my laptop and my desktop. And set up the TV stuff, and the DSL line and all that…makes my life easier and less expensive.

32. ChipMcDougal says:

I quit CompUsa a few years back for some similar reasons. I wanted to help people, not convince them to buy something I knew they did not need. Most of the time id tell the customer exactly what was wrong and not to fall for the BS. I stopped showing up for work, didn’t even give them notice. Screw you compusa.

33. felixgolden says:

I’ve had to redo work that was supposedly done by Staples (or Geek Squad, etc.) on many occasions.

I had one customer pay $250 to Staples for antivirus/spyware removal, only to get the computer home and find that he now brand new antivirus software that slowed the machine down and cheerfully warned him that his computer was infected every 30 seconds. He got my name from a neighbor and came knocking on my door with the computer in hand.

Before I made any changes to his system,I printed out one of the scan logs from the new antivirus, in addition to a couple of screen shots to identify the machine. I then did scan and clean from a bootable cd and printed out that log. After I got his computer clean and properly protected, I told him to contact Staples and ask for a refund or do a charge back if they refused. I gave him the logs and screenshots as proof.

I know they offered him a store credit, but the last I heard, he was still pushing for a full refund.

34. kccricket says:

I have to agree with Scatter. This is completely atypical from what I’ve seen as a Staples associate. The store should have a dedicated computer and workspace for work like this. This case appears to be poor management. Unlike the OP, however, I would not have agreed to those instructions. I would have insisted on following through with the proper diagnostics.

If the manager continued to insist on this course of action, I would have asked him to perform the actions himself. I would have also brought the situation to the attention of the general manager or the district manager. Fortunately, refusing to do something like this because you feel uncomfortable doing it is not grounds for disciplinary action at Staples.

35. framitz says:

The so called technician should not have needed to quit, he should have been fired for gross incompetence.

The photos showing the way he set up the drive on the laptap table are all the evidence I need to see.

36. FuryofFive says:

even a head tech at staples… the only get to like 13/hr max

37. Zimorodok says:

Judging from the descriptions from the OP, this sounds a lot like an issue that could have been solved in 30 minutes by booting from an XP cd and running a Windows Repair.

I also doubt that a place like Staples would even stock OEM WinXP discs. MicroCenter, sure, but Staples? Why stock OEM when they make more off a full retail copy?

Nevertheless the “head technician” was likely threatened recently by his GM to bring up his upsell numbers. Or, they were so overloaded with cases that day that it was quicker to skip the whole “diagnosis” stage and proceed directly to “format, reinstall, upsell, gouge customer.”

38. formatc says:

Well, at least their slogan is “That Was Easy” and not “That Was Cheap.”

39. framitz says:

FatalisticDread

Retail repair centers like Staples, Circuit City, Best Buy and others do not pay a wage that a skilled technician will work for.

I interviewed for a similar position some time back, at the end of the interview I was told ‘We would love to have you work for us, but we can’t afford you’. They knew that they coudn’t pay me what I’m worth and were at least honest about it.

I ended up working in corporate america and have since moved up a number of steps.

From what I’ve observed the techs at these places are poorly qualified with little or no real experience. The real danger is that THEY DON’T KNOW how lacking their skills are.

I doubt that a highly qualified tech would work for less than $30 an hour. On the rare occasion where someone begs me, I freelance for $60 to %100 an hour for my trouble, never had a complaint about price or results.

40. Got a copy of the receipt to back up your claim?

41. Ninja Tree says:

arg i forgot to add the rest of my comment…
    For what he did it should only be the cost of a new hdd (considering it got killed) and a small fee due to how it’s done so maybe $100. They only backup my documents geez… i never store anything in my documents.

42. The op is a good person. More people need to stand up and go against what they believe is wrong. Even if their “employer” is telling them to do something wrong. If more people took personal responcibility for their actions the world would be a better place.

The chain is obvious:

Staples – Share holders want $$$

Executives – Want bonus, put forth orders to upper managment to “cut costs, raise profits”

Upper management – Cut cost, hire cheep help. Raise profits, have cheep help SELL, SELL, SELLL!!!!!!!!

Management – I will loose my job if I don’t make the numbers look good. “Miguel take this $11.25 per hour and fix this computer. Make sure you fix it by replacing parts that havn’t been proven to be in working condition.”

Miguel – “Okay boss, I won’t feel bad when I goto sleep because ripping off old people isn’t my fault.”

No one is to blame, no one feels bad about anything. Same thing is happening with the war.

43. BytheSea says:

Couldn’t you have locked the laptop, or closed the lid, or shut it down? And why couldn’t the customer have bought a new laptop and had the files transferred there?

44. christoj879 says:

I love these places, they send me customers by the droves.

“Well, I had it repaired a while back by Best Buy/Circuit City/Staples, but it didn’t seem to do much.”

I’m guessing it was expensive?

“Yes.”

Honesty and (as cheesy as it sounds) a passion for great service are what will make you successful. Any company can screw customers, but then you only get that customer once. Great prices and prompt service make them come back again and again.

45. OprahCeto says:

I worked for Staples before they had the Easy Tech service. We did have a
    PC Repair Department though. I had gone to my manager and pitched for a
    service department to be created, called Express Tech Service, which I
    believe got re-pitched after the Geek Squad gained popularity. I did not lie
    to customers or try to up-sell components and even told them that some of
    the software we sold wasn’t worth buying(specifically all the Symantec and
    McAfee products. I was also passed up for promotion and never given a raise
    for the 3+ years I worked there, even though we kicked ass and repaired
    about 15-20 computers per week.

Staples is a Sexist, Hell House. If you notice most of the Managers are
    MALE’s and if you’re a pretty girl employee you will most likely get a raise
    or promotion before any of the guys or hard working less-attractive
    employees.

Fuck Staples.

46. shufflemoomin says:

Why would you leave someone’s data on a computer open to the public and walk away? What an idiot. Hide the folder, set up a temporary user account, close down the machine, lock it with a screensaver password but do something, but don’t just leave it there. I think the tech is at fault here for not taking precautions and is using it as an excuse to complain.

47. argosreality says:

While its certainly possible you could have a manager at Staples who would do something like this there’s ALOT of problems with the story. 1.) All the stores do have a diagnostic computer onto which they can transfer customers data files if need be (normally we’d just do a disk to disk transfer though) 2.) If the computer isnt posting then how is it showing the Windows GUI? 3.) The hardware diagnostic kit we use is the PC-Doctor kit which both HP and dell certify/require for hardware work. Its a pretty decent kit though doesnt like SATA controllers sadly

4.) The pricing is wrong. There’s no sku for hard drive “format” (we’d do it for free, even recycle it). There’s no “service entry,” diagnostic is $59, data transfer is now $100 (though its unlimited data where previously it was $49 or 59 for 4Gb) and windows XP home would have been $200 alone (since they’d have to purchase a full copy unless the easytech’s used the customers key with their own disk).

Yet another story about Staples that doesn’t ring right. Instead of quiting he should have called LP and gotten the manager fired. Pretty simple

48. Quatre707 says:

Staples Easytech’s cannot perform any services unless the customer approves offered services, and agrees to pay the given total amount. Also, Staples Easytech’s cannot attempt to recover data, backup, or migrate data, without a customer’s signature.
    Every single Staples store has a Hewlett Packard workstation, which is connected to a corporate domain, to perform services, including recovering data from a hard drive.
    There is under no circumstance, any reason for an Easytech to use a display model PC to transfer customer files. Doing so is explicitly against policies set in place to protect customer data. Staples is very serious about protecting customer data, more so than anything else in their Easytech program.

This ex-Easytech is a fool. He needs to realize that he is the expert, not his manager, if he thought that a customer’s data was in an unsafe position, he should have fixed the problem first, explained to his superiors later. If his managers said no, than he should have immediately called his regional loss prevention manager, or district manager.
    Staples has an open-door policy when it comes to contacting cooperate representatives, for both customers and employees. Staples wouldn’t give a second thought to firing a manager not following the rules.

As far as unnecessary services offered, or overpriced services, please remember that retail PC service technicians, be it Staples, Best Buy, or Circuit City, ARE ALL SALES PEOPLE, their job is to sell technical services.

I have been a Staples Easytech for over two years; and while I of course sell services to please my sales managers, I also take a great deal of time to couch customers, and even potential customers, when it comes to their technology needs. I am a very strong believer in that a PC owner should know how to not only properly operate, but also properly maintain their computers, be it operating system, software and hardware. Nonetheless there will always be those who are willing to pay such high prices, for seemingly simply services. Believe it or not; there are people willing to pay $99 to have some pictures, or $39 to setup an email client’s settings.

49. Quatre707 says:

Things the technician who submitted this consumerist did wrong:

If for some reason the Tech’s normal workstation was out of order, and the display was needed, he should have removed the HP notebook from the secure display, and moved it to the Easytech workstation area, and re-secured the notebook there, on top of an anti-static mat.
    The hard drive should have been inserted in an enclosure, which all stores have, and set it on the anti-static mat, before beginning the file transfer.

The technician is not allowed to leave a work area without first securing all customer hardware. In this case, if he was to be called away to assist a customer, an electronic alarm was to be attached to the customer hard drive. This item, once again, all Staples Easytech work areas have.

Charging the customer incorrectly. The bill should have been:
    $99 for a data backup or migration, and $79 for a Windows System Restoration and or installation, for a total of $180.
    The OEM Windows key should have been used, not having needed to purchase a new copy of Windows, saving $199
    The Diagnostic fee of $59 was not necessary, nor was the hard drive installation fee of $39, these two fees are the the technician being a douchbag.
    There is no such thing as a “charge service entry” SKU.

50. Wyndikan says:

I am an Easy Tech at Staples and a couple of things should be noted here:
    1) ALL the people in the technology department are now “Easy Techs” regardless of whether they can perform tech work or not.
    2) There is no REAL training for techs, but luckily we usually get people that know what they’re doing.
    3) Why the heck they don’t have a tech PC is beyond me. I thought every store had one, but I guess not. Staples is REALLY cheap. No employee discounts, slow internet service for in-store, only approximately 3 desktops available for sale, etc.
    4) Yes, the head tech’s are pushed to get as much money out of the customer as they can and to charge for every little bit of tech work. If we look at your computer for 5 minutes and figure out what’s wrong, we still charge you a $60 diagnostic.
    5) Still cheaper than Geek Squad…

• Pandrogas says:

@Wyndikan: 1) If it’s true, it’s not true in the stores here.

2) There is a DVD with training info on it, but yeah, it’s mostly laughable.

3) Most places have a PC, but usually a manager has to pull it from stock, corporate tends not to send anything actually worth a damn. Corporate internet access is also a joke as it’s locked down so tight that it’s useless 9 times out of 10. Some stores improvise with free wifi or dialup. However, not every store is necessarily going to have a diagnostic PC if the store is rather small (resorting to a cart for a workspace), or if the main PC is out of commission.

4) Are they still running the $10 tune-up? I used to abuse that for diagnostics all the time. Better to charge someone $10 and get additional parts / services then to charge $50 for doing nothing.

5) Yeah, pretty much.

In my experience, if liability of customer’s data or equipment is on the line, the tech has the ability to figuratively tell the manager to go to hell and do what they need to do. Then again, I guess it depends on the manager. I got lucky in that my managers let me get away with anything as long as I ran a profitable shop.

Most of the time it’s about playing the system from the inside in order to both satisfy the customer and bring up the bottom line. EasyTech is still all about the ESP vs. repair work. Then again, it still pays crap if you’re not A+ certified.

51. Dyscord says:

I remember the first time I had to take my computer in for repair. The hard drive died on me and I took it back to where I bought it and they replaced the entire system.

It’s really sad how these big companies rip off the consumer nowadays. Especially since if it WAS just a hard drive failure, you can buy one for way less than 400 bucks.

52. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

here’s hoping there IS a good locally owned place near you that is trustworthy. the one and only IT guy at my previous job used a local place for repairs and purchases – when he took a laptop in for a replacement power supply, the store electrical taped the frayed cord and charged him for it. *note – he was also an idiot in general*

if you are the poor person in an IT job who gets approached by people wanting you to work on their personal systems for free, i own one of these lovely shirts:

[www.thinkgeek.com]

53. dragonfire81 says:

I may not be a certified tech, but I’m real good with computers to the point that I never need to bother with a repair shop. I am smart enough to know to go to a smaller local shop if I ever needed to though.

• Scatter says:

@dragonfire81:

So unless you personally know the person why do you believe that a smaller local shop will provide a better service that Staples?

A small local shop may be able to be a little cheaper but not by much. They need to pay for rent, electricity, expenses, payroll and make a profit as well.

If you aren’t happy with a service at a Staples you can get the job redone for free. Go to a manager and more times than not you’ll even get a refund because our home office team is all about making customer happy.

If you aren’t happy with a service at Joe Pepe’s computer shop he can simply tell you to go pound sand because there’s nothing that you can do about it.

• Pandrogas says:

@Scatter: Word of mouth, word of mouth, word of mouth. That’s usually how local shops get high on the radar over places like Staples or Best Buy, or what have you.

This goes both ways as well. When I ran my shop at Staples, I managed to generate some income just by referrals. But if the local retail store happens to have a tech you don’t trust, there’s really no amount of branding that make that customer magically have work done.

People take their machines to Staples oftentimes because it’s convenient, they don’t have to go far for service or look anyone up. There is a comfort level to the brand, but if that ever gets burned, don’t count on many people coming back.

54. Themanintheredshirt says:

Well I just wanted to jump in, I know I’m a little late but a letter came down from corporate today about this, and mentioned some policies that no one has ever read/even knows about.

I’ve been working on and off as an EasyTech technician for about a year and a half. As someone who has been using/fixing computers for nearly 7/8s of their life, some of the things they have us doing make me cringe.

I won’t go into details, I want to remain anonymous as Staples is all I have right now, but I have to be honest, almost all of the people staples employs as “EasyTechs” are not actually technicians, they’re computer and electronics salesman that also have the responsibility of filling the ink, putting things on the shelves, and other misc store tasks. Staples does not actually train these people to be computer technicians, at least not in my part of the country.

55. blackmage439 says:

The only time I have ever been in a Staples was a pathetic experience. I was shopping on Black Friday looking for a digital camera, a printer, and a paper shredder. Staple’s selection of cameras and printers was fairly decent, but they were all overpriced. Their selection of shredders was awful, and overpriced.

I bid Staples a fair well, and headed to Office Depot. Found a decent scanner/printer with a digital camera bundle, and a shredder. Both items were discounted.

The printer and camera are still chugging along. The shredder is a piece of crap that I can hopefully RMA (hint: stay away from Ativa; Fellowes is far superior). Regardless, that Staples was a pathetic store.

Oh, and I recently shopped for ink. Staples’ offerings? You guessed it: overpriced.

56. EZTeck says:

I’ve been an Easy Tech for several years. Most of the obvious points of where this transaction went wrong have been covered here. But no one has mentioned the real underlying CAUSE.

It’s simple. Staples is currently managing by numbers. What that means is when your Staples Easy Tech is reviewed for his performance (week, month, period, or year) the first and most important determination is not how good his/her technical skills are; nor is it how good of a raport they have with customers; nor how many repeat customers they have had. It’s none of those! What is the primary PERFORMANCE review for Easy Techs? Meeting the sales goals for the period in question! And what is the PRIMARY sales goal criteria? Technical repair sales? No! Sales of computers? No! Sales of technical services? No!

The primary sales goal criteria for Easy Techs is sales of warranty plans! If you haven’t met them, you don’t get a good review! Period! It’s the most important performance criteria Staples has for Easy Techs. In fact if you want to transfer to another store the first thing your managers discuss about you is not how you’ve built up the computer repair department in your current store, or that all the customers there ask for you by name because you give such great service! Rather, it’s whether or not you can ‘sell plans’.

In fact, as an Easy Tech, even if you are constantly busy with repairing customers computers (7 – 7.5 hrs a day) and rarely or never see the sales area of the store, you are still held accountable for selling warranty plans. This is managing by numbers.

The Easy Tech in the story compounded this blunder by not reporting his manager’s careless behavior to the General Manager or the District Manager or to Staples itself (as noted elsewhere in this blog). It’s the MANAGER that should be gone, not the Easy Tech.

Finally, very soon you’ll begin to notice that EVERY person in the Staples business machines department will be wearing identical shirts (black with lime green trim) which has “Easy Tech” embroidered on it. Not all of those people are or will be actual technicians. Some are sales people with little or no technical experience! If you are looking for advice about what to do with repair or other technical issues make sure you ask to speak to the actual technican who works on PCs every day.

Staples currently has NO way to determine the technical skill level of it’s sales force except during the interview process where managers (not Easy Techs) who have varied knowledge themselves, determine if the applicant is qualified. (A+ certification is not require to be an in-store Easy Tech).

In defense of MY Staples store, we provide the best technical support in our area. We continue to get customers who have been dissatisfied with independents and the other big box stores.

57. Khaos88 says:

Ive been an EasyTech for almost a year and an employee for almost 2 and EZteck is absolutly right all corperate wants is numbers , you dont need to know how an item works or anything your ability dosnt mean shit but if you can sell a service plan or anything to give the store better numbers , thats all they care for. When i saw that corperate actually told us about this article was foolish they said if anyone from the media approaches you , tell them to refer to so and so from relations or something obscure . im the lead tech and i have enough room to work and everything but they set the standards way to high . we need to make a goal of 750$ a week . me personally most ive gotten was around 550 roughly the goal is insane and the stores that are getting in the 1000$ and going past corperates goal is BS there the ones most likely doing shady shit like he explained . Staples is all about getting numbers and screwing people in the process my day consists of doing a good portion of other peoples work too besides working on the computers while most managers ive seen do nothing except for the few . in the last 2 years ive seen managers fired for theft , forging numbers you name it . Staples ive also seen never hires withen for management we get people who have been with the company for like maybe a year or so and who have worked at simalar stores to staples but no nothing . Ive been around enough to know i can do the sales managers jobs considering my ” numbers ” are better than theres and i know the products better than anyone in the store . Point being staples dosnt make it ” easy ” infact its anything but easy

58. StaplesEzTechExpert says:

I am a Staples Easy Tech Expert,
    I am one of these “Head Techs” as everyone puts them.
    I will say my experience with Staples:
    1.) Been there for FOUR YEARS now.
    2.) In the past the “Tech Center” has not been great but they are making HUGE strides in the Tech field from what it used to be.
    Now, saying that just a little clarification about this topic first:
    1.) The tech did not follow any of the guidelines and neither did the manager.
    2.) The tech could be held responsible for any of the information just as the manager could have been.
    3.) If Staples knew where this was and if ANYONE from the corporate office was/would, be called and this is still going on for whatever reason it is in BLACK AND WHITE it is an INSTANT FIRE. No IF ANDS OR BUTS PERIOD.
    Now for the other comments going around:
    1.) Some of our prices for onsites are high for a consumer who is looking to get one thing done in their home. *granted* But look at our prices compared to our competitors we are either matching or beating them. We also have a better policy about our Tech Center than most of our competitors.
    2.) ALL STAPLES SHOULD HAVE A HP DIAGNOSTIC PC. PERIOD. IF YOU DON’T HAVE ONE GO TO STAPLES AT WORK AND GO TO THE EASY TECH TAB THERE IS AN EASY ORDER FORM FOR YOU TO ORDER A NEW ONE. So that means for the people that keep saying that their store doesn’t have one they should have had it by the latest of January 2008. So if you don’t have one ORDER IT.
    3.) Our numbers set by corporate. Those numbers are not unrealistic. I work in a “LOW VOLUME” store we do about $9k-13k a day. We average roughly $700 a week. How and why you may ask is because our customers know the techs there and they know that we will take care of them no matter what. Plain and simple the policy of staples is to get to “YES”.
    4.) It is correct about what EzTech and Khaos88 say that Staples wants the #’s right now and they want everyone in that department to sell warranties no matter if you are fixing a computer or selling one, the main problem with this is the way that they changed our bonus structure which is the WHOLE STORE needs to hit 101% budget top and bottom line for us to actually get any kind of bonus, which means it is up to the COPY CENTER and EASYTECHS to hit the budget because we drive the biggest part of the bottom and top lines, instead of like it was before where your department had to hit 101% top and bottom line then you bonused so then it makes more managers like mine who are worried more about $$$$ then about the customer themselves. This brings me to my point about that which is my manager likes to call the “SALES” managers “MARGIN MANAGERS” due to the fact that Staples is worried about the “MARGIN”. Nevertheless, I do have to say that if you are buying any kind of new computer or laptop you WILL NEED a WARRANTY. It doesn’t matter if it is a Dell, HP, Compaq, Acer, etc… It will pay off over time plain and simple great thing about the Staples warranty is that they will send you the parts if you wanted to repair it yourself they just need to verify that it is broken and most likely request the broken part back.
    Staples is not an “EVIL” company that is out to get the little guy. I wouldn’t have stayed there if they didn’t have GOOD policies to protect the consumer and the store/associates against such things. What other company will let you bring back the computer if it doesn’t work within 30 days? Also, we have other repair services that we can do for a Laptop/Desktop; for a Desktop if a motherboard is bad or even more is bad besides that and it is a NAME BRAND with FACTORY parts we can fix it for only $249.98. A laptop that is a NAME BRAND with FACTORY parts we can repair without LCD repair for only $369.98 and with LCD repair would be $599.98.
    If you could find those prices anywhere else cheaper please let me know now with those it includes the following:
    1.) 6 months warranty on any parts/labor we did/replaced.
    2.) No extra costs the prices I gave you are for parts and labor (Unless you want a backup on your computer *these prices also do not include for drops or spills if it found that to be your problem prices will vary/change*)
    3.) Replace ANY parts motherboard, hard drives, expansion cards, RAM, CPU, power supply, etc. (You can get as many parts replaced as long as they meet the guidelines said above.)
    Now, if there are any more questions/comments about Staples please let me know I will let you know the CORRECT policies/procedures for Staples. I hate to see people trying to drag this company’s name through the mud. It is a GREAT company just this person had a HORRIBLE manager and needed to take this up with the District Manager/Corporate Office and they would have taken care of the customer, got rid of/or taken care of the manager and worked with the technician and gotten his store back in the shape it should have been.

• Adam Brandt says:

@StaplesEzTechExpert: Very well said. I have to say that this article shows what isn’t allowed and you’re right, the GM should be gone and the store should be fixed up with all the stuff they need to do tech work…that’s 623 for ya :)

59. SeeratDeuce says:

At a public PC, so not going to register.

You can call me Poly if ya need to, and I’m currently a Staples Sales manager.

Just wondering what someone makes has to do with anything? My Tech is awesome, has years of experience, and is retired from his primary career. He wanted a part time job where he can help people and fix computers (his hobby and passion).

Just because it’s not a $40K+ a year job given to some snotty kid out of college or tech school with no work ethic or professionalism, doesn’t mean that the techs aren’t capable. Like any job, you will have performers, and underperformers.

And to the comment of wanting to just work on computers all day, and not sell stuff…? Working at a Mom and Pop PC repair business that everyone laudes is all about sales! The sales directly relate to that person’s livliehood.

I appluad all the entreprenuers who stake out on their own,… but to be in business makes you a salesperson by default.

60. Anonymous says:

i work as an easy tech at staples and basically your lead tech is a moron. not all locations are so reckless. 1 incident should not give all stores a bad rap. i always run a full diagnostic, print it and show the customer what needs 2 be fixed before repairs r done.Our store runs a tight ship rippin people of is the same as stealing and i hate thieves.So not all stores in a chain can be considered corrupt.

• Anonymous says:

@CarterRareware:
      I am a Staples tech now. I have watched these same practices. When you are an easy tech you are expected to sell and I appreciate that, however I watched the manager try to sneak service plans on people. I watched him lie about the specs of the computers. 3 days ago the same manager tried to set a customer up for $100 data backup and $370 depot repair. I did the diagnostics on the laptop and all they needed was an $80 power supply (on sale for $60 at the time). Staples techs cannot be trusted. When I showed the expert tech (I’m the resident tech) the paperwork he said “hey, if they’re willing to pay for it…” I have watched these same practices for 10 months now. DO NOT GO TO STAPLES

61. Timothy Morales says:

I’ve been a Staples Easy Tech for 2 years already.. from the pictures I can tell thats location 653 on 85th and lex.. (by the Maxtor wing pannel and laptop P.O.G.) and you shouldnt judge all Easy Techs for the crappy computer work and salesmanship of the upper manhattan stores.. every store above 40th street is known for their crappy computer service..

62. Anonymous says:

Yes I too work for Staples as a head technition.
    It varies from store to store. Some managers push you and make sell unnecessary “upgrades”. Antistatic is also a foreign term.

Also every store has a diagnostic PC, but most stores just use it as an internet hub to check facebooks and myspaces. The tools are crappy and the environment is crappy.

REMEMBER BEFORE WORKING FOR BESTBUY, STAPLES, ETC…
    They would rather train a salesman to be a tech, than a tech to be a salesman.

63. FSystemTech says:

I have been working at Staples Easytech for about 6 months. Since I started, I have never charged anyone for unnecessary services, nor have I ever been asked to by managment to make unnecessary charges. Our store just surpassed our goal in sales, and I can say it wasn’t from cheating anyone, it was from returning customers or new customers that were recommended by old ones. I am actually quite surprised to see that so many people have had such negative experiances with Easytech, our district is pretty damn strict about the way we do business. Maybe we are the exception. FYI, people that are high risk like that, espeically management, usually get tossed overboard beucase they are a walking lawsuit if someone figures out what happened.

64. joker_#88 says:

Hey friends,

I’m currently working at Staple. I’m a resident tech (lead tech), before this i was working for compusa, circuit city firedog, and other retail technical support. I have over 4 years of experience. So far the only reason why i would work at Staples because i’m still in school, but if i’m finish with school i will not working for this stupid company.

Notice this article is back in 2008, as of today it is 2010. They haven’t change much, all the services are rip off. Staples don’t have enough money to equip their technician with the proper tools for the job. There are so many restriction on the tech computer, it make me feel like i’m the end user not a tech (no admin right to the computer at all, can’t even right click).

Lack of tools, i was unable to detect so many viruses. I have to use my own tool kit to help the customer out and make the repair worth their money. I’m really embarrassed to work for such company. When i contacted the HR to address the issue, they said “Quit if you don’t like it”, that show how much Staples care about their employees.

As a computer repair store, we need more than one tools to preform an accurate diagnostic. However staples only provide one tools which is Norton scanner(you can dl it on norton site). If you are a consumer and thinking about getting your work done at staples, please do your self a big favor and not to waste your time at a repair shop like this. Go to a real one!

65. Aguilabrava says:

The “Easy Tech Services” at Staples are a joke. The “supposedly certified technicians” performing the repairs are nothing but a bunch of kids with no knowledge or certifications other than the ones provided by Staples itself. Their interest is not fixing computers, their main interest is selling unnecessary services and goods to improve the overall sales of the store. You can go few days in a row to your local Staples store and you will see these “certified technicians” moving boxes around the store and trying to rip-off customers selling them extended warranty protection plans, software and installations that they do not need. They train these kids to ask questions to customers, to measure their knowledge and vulnerability so they can sell services and goods to expand Staple’s profits. None of them is even CompTia A+ certified, which should be the minimum requirement to perform the types of services they advertise. Do not bring your computer no any Staple’s for service, and NEVER buy something unless you know you really need it. If you see the training and “certifications” that these guys have to pass, you would laugh your arse off, this is like having Burguer King guys fixing computers. Stay away from them.