Wegmans' New Metal Spring-Flavored Bagels Recalled

Wegman’s is recalling all in-store made bagels and bialys (flattened bagels) sold between August 24th and September 9th “because the bagels may contain pieces of a metal spring from a mixer that entered the dough.” If you have some, return them to your store’s customer service desk for a refund. Wegmans says this doesn’t affect their frozen bagels.

The recall was announced after an unspecified customer complaint, which we imagine went something like, “Hey, there was a chunk of metal in my bagel this morning, wtf.” Luckily, no injuries have been reported.

“Voluntary Recall: Wegmans In-Store Made Bagels” [Wegmans] (Thanks to Jeff!)
(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. bananaballs says:

Aww, I miss Weggie’s. Their bakery is pretty good, too. Looks like they’re doing what they should be doing about the situation.

2. Adisharr says:

This kind of thing happens all the time. I’ve been in plants where they switch some wear parts (washers, seals, etc..) from black to white material because when they deteriorate and possibly end up in food product the white color doesn’t stand out as much.

In fast I just ate a bowl of washers today and I feel great!

3. sir_eccles says:

Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch “Crunchy Frog”. I can’t believe Wikipedia even has a summary of it [en.wikipedia.org]

Wink wink, say no mooore!

4. Tigerman_McCool says:

Introducing new iron enriched bagels.

5. rpm773 says:

How would I know I have the August 24th bagels? Are those the ones in my cupboard that are completely covered in dark-green fuzz?

6. varro says:

Coily: NO SPRIIIIIINGS!

7. mugsywwiii says:

Wegmans > *

8. Ruthven says:

“Flattened bagels”? Seriously?

9. BrianDaBrain says:

Bialys? Flattened bagels? Really? It’s good to see that they’re stepping up after what seems like only 1 complaint and are voluntarily doing a recall. More companies should follow this example.

10. chatterboxwriting says:

Wegmans is pretty awesome. They have the best produce anywhere around here (NE PA), and they have good produce specials that make it affordable to eat healthy. I’m glad they’re doing the right thing.

11. Dacker says:

After 12+ years away from Ra-cha-cha, I too miss Weggies/Weggy’s/My Wegmans. The company is 1st class in every way, from the stores, the store-brand products, their employees, the employee’s pay and benefits, and their involvement in the community. It’s no wonder that Fortune once called them the best supermarket in the US. (And they are privately-held as well!) Thanks Bobby and Danny!

• Rachacha says:

@Dacker: Not that it matters, but Bobby Wegman Passed away in 2006 [www.washingtonpost.com]

@Chris Walters: The “in store Bagel” dough is mixed and formed into a bagel shape, frozen an packaged in boxes at the commercial bakeshop(warehouse) in Rochester, NY. From there they are shipped to all of their stores as needed and cooked in the store. With Wegmans recalling over 1000 cases, it sounds like about 1 days production, and with them recalling multiple varieties, they are simply being overly cautious. (I used to work in the Wegmans bakeshop when I was in college). And yes, Wegmans is a GREAT company in every aspect!

12. MyPetFly says:

The best bagels and bialys are made with spring water…

13. mariospants says:

Throw one of these into your baby’s convertible crib and you’ll be lucky if he/she’s alive in 2 hours.

14. spazztastic says:

If they’re made in-store, why does the recall affect all stores?

15. Dacker says:

@spazztastic & Chris Walters:

Most bagels shops, including Brueggers and Noah’s, get pre-shaped raw frozen bagels from a regional factory. At each shop, they thaw, raise, boil, and bake the bagel. I think some may just thaw and bake, with the raising and boiling also done in the factory.

16. My family owns a cookie factory. The last step in the process after the cookies are wrapped (but before they are boxed) is a run through a super-sensitive metal detector. It is a fact of life that food processing machines will occasionally release metal into the food.

The messed up part of this is that my family’s factory is in what could be considered the Third World. If a 3rd-world cookie factory has this technology, why the hell doesn’t every American food plant?

17. Benny Gesserit says:

Some years ago, a friend almost broke a tooth on a spent bullet shell he found baked into a muffin from a local shop. (A large coffee and muffin chain.)

When he returned to ask for a refund, they gal running the place did not seem surprised.

18. DeeJayQueue says:

I hate to be the pedant… but “bagels” in the headline should just be plural, not possessive. Kthxbai!

19. Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

I got a letter from Costco several years ago with a far weirder recall.
    It seems that an entire batch of canned chili was being recalled because an employee’s pocket calculator had fallen into the meat grinder.
    Only one can was left, but a refund for all 6 cans.

20. avenger339 says:

One of the things that I miss from college was Wegman’s. Seriously, I can’t believe there’s a better supermarket chain out there. Heck, I can’t believe there’s a better chain store out there, period.