Tools For Commenting

Looking to get started with Consumerist comments? Here’s a great guide that teaches you the basics, plus tips and tricks to do secret things like embed pictures and YouTube videos. Then check out our Consumerist Comments Code for the guidelines about what’s appropriate to leave in the comments, and what might get you banned or “disemvowelled.”

The Power User’s Guide to This Web Site [Lifehacker]
The Consumerist Comments Code (Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. whitefang2000 says:

can we calm down on banning people’s accounts? its like East Germany in here.

2. KitanaOR says:

I get discouraged every time you put up these PSAs. I’ve submitted a dozen comments and have never been approved.

3. joellevand says:

You’ll notice that this is the first post mentioning the commenting code that allows comments.

I wonder why that is, hmm?

4. frari489 says:

I would love to be able to comment.

But i guess it’s not to be.

5. el_smurfo says:

ban ‘em, dan-o

6. ceriphim says:

Can’t we get a button to un-disemvowel people? Seeing random consonants makes me wanna know what they said…

7. ChuckECheese says:

What’s with the hearts next to our names? Are they designed to help us write happy sappy comments?

8. British Benzene says:

People can comment here? Really? I signed up last month and still can’t.

9. PS. Disemvoweling is the coolest thing Gawker has ever done.

• dhmosquito says:

THANKS for explaining how to link to a previous comment. I always wondered how folks got the little @ followed by the commenter’s name in their followup post. Overall, Consumerist has great information & the comments really do make this an interesting stop on the web.

10. thatblackgirl says:

I got disemvoweled once on another Gawker site. If it happens again, is it curtains for me on all sites?

Also, if I’m a good girl for a certain period of time, does the disemvowelment roll off my record?

• Consumerist-Moderator-Roz says:

@thatblackgirl: Disemvoweling basically means “you’re on thin ice”. It’s worse than a warning, but less than banning.

Personally, I don’t tend to consider what was said on other sites unless it was particularly nasty, and also, I consider how recent it was. If you behave yourself and have good comments for a few months, chances are we won’t look at an old disemvoweling again. Usually people I ban have either one really bad comment or a whole bunch of kinda bad comments in their last ten or twenty comments.

@christoj879: @christoj879:

11. christoj879 says:

I’ve noticed it’s either a feel-good comment or it’s disemvowelled. Nothing realistic or critical of the OP (even if the OP couldn’t realize that the government-issued DTV coupon is processed through the Visa network and CC wanted a signature so he emailed the Consumerist about how he wasted his coupon).

Just my $0.02.

• Consumerist-Moderator-Roz says:

@christoj879: Ergh, sorry about that. The comment code specifies what we’re looking for in comments. What we want to avoid is a ton of whining or a ton of trashing the victim. The former is boring, the latter tends to be but further discourages consumers from coming forward. I’ve definitely heard complaints even now, with our stricter guidelines, that submitters don’t want to submit again after being ridiculed. This is a consumer advocacy site, but yet some individuals want to trash every person who gets scammed or screwed and blame it all on them. It’s tedious. Constructive criticism (e.g. ‘it may have been more successful to have tried this’ and providing a link to pertinent information) is always welcome.

• Ben Popken says:

@christoj879:

I’ve noticed it’s either a feel-good comment or it’s disemvowelled. Nothing realistic or critical of the OP.

Baloney.

12. quagmire0 says:

This commenting stuff has become too complicated. I quit.

For tonight.

13. Shadowman615 says:

Since it’s somewhat on-topic in this thread, can someone post here how to block-quote? Nothing I try seems to show up in the preview

14. type “blockquote” in like you would if you were entering a bold command. To end, just enter “/blockquote”

and you will get this

hope that helps.

15. MercuryPDX says:

<blockquote> This text will be a block quote </blockquote>

This text will be a block quote

It’s not in the LH guide, because that site doesn’t support/use it. :)

16. ceriphim says:

First blink tags and now blockquotes. Kids these days.

17. MercuryPDX says:

Kinda stunned that most of the commentors with a lot to say about the comments code in other threads are not in here having their say.

18. Tiber says:

I’ve wondered a few times how to get strikethrough to work. <strike> and <del> do nothing, at least in the preview.