Astroland, the Coney Island amusement park, is closing for good this Sunday, says its owner. You can buy the rides at www.rides4u.com. Sorry, the wooden Cyclone coaster and the Wonder Wheel are part of another amusement company and won’t be sold (they’ll continue to operate). [New York Times]

Comments

1. jrlcopy says:

The Cyclone and Wonder Wheel are both landmarks and will forever operate. Actually they are maintained by the same company that runs Astroland.

2. Kounji says:

That still sucks it would have been nice to see it.

3. Whitey Fisk says:

That’s a shame. The Wonder Wheel would have looked great on my deck.

4. mac-phisto says:

blah. no good rides there. anyone want to go halfsies on the zyklon coaster from the blue diamond liquidation? –> [www.rides4u.com]

5. azntg says:

There goes a classic New York institution.

However, at the same time, I don’t care too much about it. I’ve visited Astroland at least three times in the last five years and each time, I wasn’t terribly excited by the ride choices and some of the staff there.

6. TangDrinker says:

I wonder if I can get a loan through Countrywide and become a real Roller Coaster Tycoon somewhere where land is cheap. Like Detroit, maybe.

7. darabidduckie says:

Aw man… if this is closing, where will The Warriors go out to play-ay?

8. theblackdog says:

I rode the Cyclone once, had a bruised tailbone for a few weeks afterward. I’m glad to see it is staying, even if I don’t want to ride it again.

9. FishingCrue says:

Apart from the memories that many have of the park, I can’t understand why anyone would fight to keep it open. The rides [[www.rides4u.com] ] are pretty lame and nothing different from a local carnival. The Parachute Jump hasn’t been operated since the 1960′s and probably won’t be (though I would be first in line). Wonderwheel and Cyclone will still operate, but instead of tacky carnival they will be surrounded by tacky New Urbanist shopping district and yuppies. The only real closing will be the Astro Tower.